Reading Partners Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.9
Michael Lombardo

1. A wonderful, rewarding experience!

I worked at Reading Partners full-time

Pros

Great learning experience. Site Coordinators have a lot of responsibility and professional development is encouraged. Most importantly, the Reading Partners program really works, and being a site coordinator is incredibly rewarding.

Cons

The AmeriCorps stipend is low, it is hard to take time off during the school year. There is a lot of data entry and paperwork associated with the role.

Advice to Management

Management should find more opportunities to connect with AmeriCorps members. Continue to expand, the program is amazing!

Incredible Growth Opportunities!

Pros

I started my time at Reading Partners as an AmeriCorps service member. Through my two AmeriCorps terms, I had countless opportunities to challenge myself, tackle new projects, and grow my professional skill set. In sharing experiences with AmeriCorps members at other programs, I learned that the Reading Partners AmeriCorps program is a unique one, providing a wealth of professional training, a high level of responsibility in our roles, and ongoing mentorship from our managers. We received 3-4 weeks of intensive training at the start of our service, focusing on both team building and prepping the skill sets needed for success. After serving, I joined the team full-time. My team is phenomenal - I always feel supported, challenged, and inspired by the folks I work alongside. Everyone has a visible passion for the work that they do, despite any hurdles that come up along the way. I have a manager that cares about my professional development, I have peers that push me to be my best, and an organizational mission I truly care feel inspired by. I couldn't ask for more in my workplace!

Cons

We are a very fast-paced organization - if you aren't able to adapt to an ever-changing environment, Reading Partners may not be your bag.

Advice to Management

Continue moving full-steam ahead with new and innovative approaches to addressing the literacy crisis, engaging the community, and supporting our organization. Great job!

Great Intro to the Nonprofit World!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK

Pros

I love working with Reading Partners as an Americorps member because I am able to spend time with each different department learning about how a nonprofit works. Reading Partners has a great name in the community and I am learning a lot about how to cultivate those kinds of relationships. I feel confident that my position at Reading Partners is preparing me for a successful career in the nonprofit world. I am gaining management skills, as well as having great experiences daily working with a program that has a great mission. There are many opportunities for employees both regionally and nationally with the organization and I plan to stay with Reading Partners after my Americorps term is over.

Cons

Since Reading Partners is a relatively new organization, we are often testing out new systems and strategies to improve our impact in the community. Sometimes these result in confusion or problems in the Reading Center, but in the end we are always encouraged to give constructive feedback to continue to improve our organization and streamline our processes.

Advice to Management

I really appreciate the support we are offered, I encourage everyone to keep asking their employees how they can best be supported on a day-to-day basis.

I heart RP!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK

Pros

If you want to gain invaluable skills then look no further! Managers are great about providing support and feedback to help you grow and learn. The entire team is super friendly. Besides helping struggling readers learn read, the friendships are my next favorite part! I love how rewarding and fulfilling this job is....feels great to give back to the Tulsa community! I met some wonderful volunteers and was able to make a name for myself in the Tulsa nonprofit world. Overall Pros: Positive and friendly team environment Check-ins and reviews to keep you on track Working with struggling readers and local volunteers Learning a variety of skills: time management, coaching techniques, data entry and assessments

Cons

Americorps members only serve between 1-2 years. Wish it could be longer!

Advice to Management

You all rock! Thanks for everything....one of the best experiences thus far!

Great Nonprofit; Growing Pains

I worked at Reading Partners full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is dedicated to the mission of helping kids gain confidence and literacy skills. Great for recent graduates who are looking to grow their professional knowledge.

Cons

AmeriCorps pay is the barest minimum; keep that in mind. Communication between full-time staff and AmeriCorps team could be better. Nothing at all to do for the last month of service; you have to find outside volunteer opportunities to satisfy the 1700-hour requirement.

Advice to Management

Streamline communication so that information is not staggered between portfolios. Find something ahead of time for AmeriCorps members to do in June.

7. Rewarding Work Experience!

Current Employee - Reading Partners Employee in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Reading Partners Employee in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Reading Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have never worked for any company or organization that is as wonderful and rewarding as Reading Partners! There is so much focus on team building and engagement with co-workers and managers alike; it's fantastic! I feel like the managers genuinely care about their employees, and it makes for an all around wonderful work environment. You couldn't do better!

Cons

Many AmeriCorps Site Coordinators come to Reading Partners for their first real job, and some of them aren't prepared for feedback that could help them grow. Some of these less experienced team members can sometimes be negative which brings morale down, but I feel like the management team does a great job of turning this back around. There is a lot of focus on development when working for Reading Partners with consistent check ins, feedback, and reviews.

Advice to Management

Even when one bad seed might have a bad attitude, keep doing what you're doing because overall, I think AmeriCorps alumni will look back and realize how truly wonderful this job was (even if a couple of them don't realize it now).

An amazing organization that truly makes a difference!

Former Employee - Regional Site Coordinator in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Regional Site Coordinator in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Reading Partners part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Working directly with students one on one - Organization created and uses structured and evidence based curriculum that students enjoy - Providing members of the community the opportunity to volunteer in a huge way by helping improve student literacy rates - Being an AmeriCorps program, the staff is offered a tremendous amount of personal and professional development opportunities. - Great support system from site leadership/management as well as the national office staff - One of the few jobs that did not come with many surprises, everything is completely laid out prior to your acceptance of the position - Very structured program, - Utilizes structured data to show students successes

Cons

- Serving as an AmeriCorps member can be very tough. Accomplishing the 1,700 hours over the course of your 11 month term can be very physically, emotionally, and mentally draining. - Working at your school site as a Site Coordinator can be tough as you are generally the only Reading Partners employee actually stationed at that site. - Each reading partners site is known to run things just a little bit differently. More uniformity across the board would be beneficial to the success of not only each Reading Partners site, but also for the organization.

Advice to Management

- Keep doing what you are doing, the communication that you all share is truly helping Reading Partners Tulsa thrive - As the organization is made up of AmeriCorps members, I think bringing the AmeriCorps name into the organization would help the members feel more connected/reminded to the amazing service they are providing

Would not recommend

I worked at Reading Partners (More than a year)

Pros

Rewarding work, but minimal acknowledgement from management.

Cons

Management has little interest in hearing about issues they would prefer not to address. This makes it nearly impossible to ask for help when struggling. Their biggest concern is numbers that they can use to promote themselves. This means they will overload coordinators to achieve their bottom line, even when this is to the detriment of the program. Pay is unlivable and not worth balancing the job stress with cost of living stress.

Advice to Management

Stop using americorps to pay employees. Raise money for real salaries like Head Start or Big Thought does.

Great Organization

Pros

Employees are passionate about the work Very well organized

Cons

AmeriCorps members can feel disconnected to full-time employees, low pay

Advice to Management

Better career advancement opportunities for AmeriCorps

Site Coordinator

I have been working at Reading Partners full-time

Pros

Strong communication with team, strong partnerships with schools, work life balance.

Cons

You are the only on site employee, with a high number of students and tutors it can be tough to balance all responsibilities.

RSS Feed </> Embed