Reading Partners

Updated May 29, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Michael Lombardo

Rewarding and fun non-profit literacy organization

Literacy Intervention Tutor (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsPersonal growth, educational experience, company values

ConsPay is low but expected for a non-profit

Educator

Reading Instructor (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsI feel like I'm making a difference in children's lives by teaching them how to read.

ConsThere are none. Seasonal and volunteer basis. Might help me find a teaching job.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart offering more opportunities for advancement.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Rewarding experience and great professional development

Prosvery supportive managers, continuous training, great community. you gain experience in many different areas: community engagement, data entry, volunteer management, scheduling, etc.

ConsThe AmeriCorps stipend is very small, but that is expected and it's something you're aware of right from the get-go. It can seem like a lot of work for little pay, but in the end it's worth it knowing that you've made a positive difference in education.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

AmeriCorps Site Coordinator

ProsThere are many inspiring people that you work with in this position. I have had great management and lots of training in order to do my job. The site coordinator is given a huge amount of responsibility and that has helped for professional development.

ConsThe AmeriCorps stipend is so minimal that many site coordinators end up buying groceries using food stamps. I was underwhelmed with the quality of the insurance offered as well.

Incredible management and potential for personal growth

Pros-amazing managers who work with you
    -strong culture of developmental growth
    -amazing program mission
    -results driven and organized
    -great working with variety of kids and inspiring individuals
    -may be high stress, but it's incredibly rewarding

Cons-americorps funding makes it difficult to get by for some individuals
    -work/life balance can take a hit if you're not used to jobs like this
    -high stress position

Changes in management are having a negative effect on a once very impressive program.

Volunteer Tutor (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsWorking one on one with students. Working with caring and committed Site Coordinators.

ConsManagers overriding the opinions and values of those who really know, and care about, the students in the program.

Advice to Senior ManagementBecome more attuned with the needs of students

Great company to complete a year of service with, but large gap between AmeriCorps and full-time.

AmeriCorps Member/Site Coordinator (Current Employee)

ProsReading Partners is a really challenging but supportive environment in which to do a year of service. I love having a lot of responsibility as an AmeriCorps member. I got to meet a ton of inspiring volunteer tutors, and learned best practices for teaching literacy skills. Obviously the best part is working with students and getting to see them grow in their abilities.

ConsThe main con to the AmeriCorps positions is that there is a large gap between Americorps members and full-time employees. Of course, as for any AmeriCorps position, they stipend is not great, but Reading Partners pays more than most AmeriCorps. Additionally, if you don't want to work very hard, look elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be amazing to be able to build more of a bridge from AmeriCorps members to full-time positions, though I understand why that is difficult.

Rewarding and fun experience with a non-profit

Site Coordinator (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsVery supportive managers, continuous training and education award for Americorps members upon completion of service term. Fun to work with children everyday and you get to meet lots of new people and network. Perfect for recent grads before going to grad school and contracts are year-by-year basis.

ConsLow pay, but you know that going into it. Compensation is more than other Americorps programs though.
    Site coordinator position is temporary; you wouldn't do it more than 2 years.

Hard work, visible results, great people

Site Coordinator (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsPros:
    Dedicated, passionate people
    Real opportunity to make an impact
    Good way to get experience working directly with a school and with students without the requirement of an Education degree/teaching credential

ConsCons:
    Inconsistent management and poor allocation of resources make the job frustrating at times
    Poor health insurance is something to keep in mind if you require good health coverage

Outreach Coordinator

ProsReading Partners values their staff and truly believes in their mission of eradicating illiteracy throughout the country.

ConsThe AmeriCorps stipend is small and difficult to live on.

Worked for Reading Partners? Contribute to the Community!