RealNetworks

RealNetworks Reviews in Seattle, WA

Updated Jun 30, 2014

RealNetworks Founder, Chairman & Interim CEO Rob Glaser

Rob Glaser

Pros
  • They still have a good work/life balance and some decent benefits(in 20 reviews)

• There were smart people who worked there and they treated their employees well(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Also the senior management changed 2x while i was there in two years and it was very hard to maintain a solid direction(in 11 reviews)

• I had zero faith in upper management to get the company back on track(in 11 reviews)

134 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great work and peer enviroment.

Software Applications Test Engineer (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsGreat learning opportunities and high diverse knowledge from everyone.

ConsToo short of a contract.

Every day is a firefight due to lack of proper change control and user access control

Senior Manager In Production (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsGreat place to hone skills

ConsWay too many people have administrative priv's to production infrastructure.

Advice to Senior ManagementAbsolutely no change to production should take place unless approved by CAB. Quit making your staff supporting production single points of failure.

Time for changes

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsThe people are passionate, hardworking and believe the company will turn around. They are very resourceful and do good work with few resources they're given.

ConsOn average there's a 2% annual salary increase, morale is low and while the corporate strategy is planned, the tactical implementation is dependent upon the CEO's whims.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

good work life balance

Senior Software Development Engineer (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsLong hours, weekend work is not needed in most teams.
    Work on lot of new technologies

ConsGrowth is very slow resulting in ambitious top performers leaving the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to keep the top performers happy and reduce attrition.

Lipstick on a Pig

Program Manager (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsCoworkers are mostly pleasant and truly willing to help on another
    The view is great view from the new building and it's somewhat modern - open and inviting for collaboration
    There are opportunities to learn new technologies as they're moving into the cloud/mobile environment

ConsThe company had a new CEO with vision but Rob Glaser didn't approve as he seems to be wedded to RealPlayer for some reason. The company took 10 steps backwards when the old guard returned and they really don't get the new world of devices anywhere though they seem to think they do.

The new office building, though nice inside, is in a terrible location for commuters

The people who really cared about making good products and knowing how to do so have left, or are close to leaving.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is clueless and deaf to advice so won't waste my time here

First two and half years are good, but after some key developers left, it sucks

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsGood place for retiring if you want

ConsDevelop Management sucks recently, there is no software lifecycle any more

Lead Software Eng

Lead Software Development Engineer (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsLearned lots, always had smart people to learn from

Conshad 12 bosses in less than 7 years.

Advice to Senior Managementfind a new product

Work was cool, leadership was lacking

Senior Program Manager (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsTechnically interesting work, good work-life balance, stress periods were only ever a few weeks in a row, usually with a known end goal and date.

ConsThe company is not doing very well and frequently changes direction.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to stick to goals that make the most sense financially and that are achievable.

Don't waste your time

QA Manager (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsA good place to learn and experimenting for newbies to tech. world

ConsNo clear vision, high turn around

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the "empire-building" strategy and really evaluate the performance of upper management folks who have been with the company for more than 5yr.

Sinking ship...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsGood people. Casual/laid back environment. Tries to still have the feel of a start-up. Pretty good benefits.

ConsThe Company is going no where. I had zero faith in upper management to get the company back on track.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire upper management and find people who won't run the company into the ground.

Worked for RealNetworks? Contribute to the Community!