RealPage

Updated March 3, 2015
2.8

RealPage CEO Stephen T. Winn
Stephen T. Winn

Pros
  • Office culture in San Francisco is a bit laid back for some teams, good work/life balance (in 9 reviews)

• Cool Office location, great people to be around (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Staff is always stressed and depressed, no such thing as a work life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Upper management does not readily share information (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Work hard and be rewarded

Current Employee - Creative in Carrollton, TX
    Current Employee - Creative in Carrollton, TX

I have been working at RealPage full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Job stability
    Great upper management
    Company resources
    Travel opportunities
    Casual work environment
    Headquarters is in Texas, the best place to live in the US by far

Cons

No culture
    Getting a new computer is easier than getting your own trash can
    No holiday parties
    Coffee in break-rooms is unimpressive, and no good creamer to speak of
    One breakroom in one of the many buildings is great but everywhere else the breakrooms are depressing
    No culture

I'm very lucky to be working under incredible leadership that was brought in over a year ago and has really made my department flourish. Not everyone is as lucky and from what I can tell there is a general consensus that talented people don't want to stay here long. If real progress is to be made please have leaders in place that let talented people excel and do their job with creative solutions. Also some company culture would both attract talent and make long timers happier and more productive, the current stigma Ive seen around the office is...." I would rather work somewhere cooler "........In a nutshell, I love working here but would love it more if we had more fun.

Great people, great company!

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Carrollton, TX
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Carrollton, TX

I worked at RealPage

Pros

The work was not very exciting.

Cons

The people were very nice and I liked the culture.

N/A

Stagnant tech, no long term vision

Current Employee - Software Developer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at RealPage

Pros

Great co workers. Everyone in my team from the designers, front end guys, backend and mobile, were all passionate about what they did and very skilled.

Benefits department and tech help desk were very responsive to questions and tickets. Very accommodating and quick to respond.

Cons

Upper management has zero idea how to move in the industry. Zero development on new products, and what new development that does happen is either on products that are absolutely terrible from inception, or make current products worse.

Actively fights new development. Very resistant to change and almost all of our products have code bases going on 10+ years. We still use Java Server Pages on one of our flagship products.

Aquires startups only to shut them down months later. Wastes money on acquisitions they don't do anything with, then has no money left over to internally develop anything.

Shut down all offices outside of Dallas with zero warning. We had to be out two weeks after the announcement. No severance!!!

Trust your devs. You can't keep treading water and expect to survive. Way too much politiking between C level employees that actively sabatoge each other's initiatives.

Could be better

I have been working at RealPage

Pros

Steady Job with benefits

Cons

Promoting from within and raises other than a possible 3% annually is non existent.

Internship

Former Employee - Intern in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Intern in Dallas, TX

I worked at RealPage

Pros

Learned sales techniques and effective ways to conduct market research.

Cons

Sink or swim mentality in the office

Sales training was very helpful. One of the best training courses I have been through.

Windsor Compliance division of Realpage

Current Employee - Compliance Specialist in Carrollton, TX
    Current Employee - Compliance Specialist in Carrollton, TX

I have been working at RealPage full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Compliance Specialists work remotely, so as long as you have high speed internet access you can log in from anywhere. The interview process really emphasizes working from home and the associated savings as a benefit. The benefits are not bad either, not great, but not horrible. Co-workers are a good group of professionals. You have the ability to build good relationships with your clients. You will always have something to do here. The workload is never ending, so if you like repetitious work with no end in sight, this is the perfect job for you.

Cons

Average work week is 48-50 hour weeks with month end, year end, and holidays climbing higher that that. There is no OT pay or flex time.

File expectation is 35 per day. That's in addition to reports, managing your portfolio and responding to the normal emails and phone calls associated with the position.

Official work hours are 9-5. If you want a lunch break you schedule one with management and make arrangements to log in early or work late. Otherwise if you want to eat then you're to do so at your desk while working. It's hammered in during trainings and staff meetings - if you have time to take a break you have time to work a file.

Disorganized

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carrollton, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carrollton, TX

I worked at RealPage full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Close to several lunch venues. Basic health & wellness benefits are average compared to similar companies but nothing to write home about. They only have a traditional 401k (no Roth option) and low company match is only deposited into your account once per year contingent upon Board of Directors vote. With the high attrition rate, probability someone will still be here to collect based on the 3-year vesting period is low.

Cons

I worked as an Executive for this company approximately 2 years (2012 - 2014). Constant reorganization of individuals at the VP level and higher are the norm. What's worse, think of a bank operation when it comes to Vice President's (most employees are one). High bonuses are promised to you when hired but never paid out. In lieu of any bonus expect the C-suite to throw a few Restricted Stock Units (RSUs) your way quarterly in an attempt to placate your frustration. CEO is very greedy and looks for any excuse to cut expenses while being under investigation for insider trading fraud himself by the SEC. Do your research!

New leaders are constantly brought onboard with great ideas but unfortunately these great ideas require something called "money" to implement. CEO must approve all capital expenditures which are few and far between.

Be sure to use all earned vacation/sick time before resigning because it is entirely forfeited when you depart.

I had 4 different bosses in one year. This was very frustrating but was the norm throughout the entire company. Most people who work here are not exactly the "cream of the crop" somewhat incompetent. These folks would not hold the same level job title/position in other companies. It seemed as if job titles were nothing other than another attempt to placate employees into feeling better about this corrupt company.

HR - stay away from them! They are hit men for the CEO. A lot of turnover in this department as well once employees working in it realize the real deal is to help the CEO polish his pennies and slash headcount with constant shakedowns and use any excuse possible to save the dwindling stock.

These are the core reasons why people like myself ended up getting ran off after such a short time. Once good people understand the game, they have no interest in continuing and quickly depart.

Things will only change once you are bought out and/or replace the CEO.

They have no shame

I worked at RealPage

Pros

They have a nice office in San Francisco. Other than that, Glass door require 20 word minimum in this section. Tough.

Cons

They posted pictures from the San Francisco office last month on linkedin. The joke is they forgot to mention that most of the employees in SF were either laid off or quit. They had plans to sublease part of the office, but there are rumors flying around about them closing the office for good. Was the person posting it thinking "in your face Californians"?
    They have moved a bunch of jobs to Dallas and were hoping that we would move as well. I mean, seriously? What kind of desperate loser would I have to be to leave the Bay Area and move to Texas?!

google shame

A terribly unorganized relic of a company left over from the first .com bubble.

I have been working at RealPage full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You can get by doing very little work, knowing whatever you do will not make a difference.

Cons

Low pay
    No company culture
    Frequent layoffs
    Constant reorgs
    Stingy with everything
    Not even a in-office holiday party
    Minimum benefits
    No job security
    No chance of promotion

Worst place to work ever

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Carrollton, TX
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Carrollton, TX

I have been working at RealPage

Pros

There are no pros to working here. This is the worst place to work in the DFW area.

Cons

Employees are used and treated poorly.
    No company loyalty
    No stability
    Ugly office space with small and tight working space
    Upper management doesn't care about employees.
    No perks
    Poor benefits
    If you want to advance your career this isn't the place. Managers and directors will promise the world and deliver nothing.
    Old technology used and managers and directors especially are afraid to upgrade anything

Instead of constantly pushing talented people out, push the current management out and start over.