RealPage

RealPage Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

RealPage CEO Stephen T. Winn

Stephen T. Winn

Pros
  • Great people, good location, people are treated right(in 12 reviews)

• Decent work/life balance but it all depends on your manager and group(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Staff is always stressed and depressed, no such thing as a work life balance(in 10 reviews)

• Upper management does not readily share information(in 10 reviews)

Overworked and underpaid employees, top-heavy management, high employee turnover

Implementation Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsThe only pros I can think of for working here are the flexibility, fair amount of vacation days and floating holidays, and decent benefits. There is an opportunity for personal growth, but the people who start off now will have to endure a lot of abuse and fight a steep uphill battle to try and climb the ranks. Most people who have higher titles were part of the companies that were acquired by this conglomerate (RealPage, Inc.), and were assigned the title & salary as a default. Also, the gap between what software developers receive and what analysts/consultants receive is absolutely horrific. It's very discouraging to see such major gaps in pay between people of relatively similar levels of education and experience.

ConsHorrible pay; much lower than industry average. Executives do not believe in allocating resources in areas that will preserve brand image and client satisfaction. They are mainly concerned with revenues. The "RealPage policy" also seems to be to under-hire and overwork their existing employees. As more and more employees are leaving this company each month, the work that those employees were in charge of just keeps getting dumped on other existing employees. Onboarding is slow and training takes a long time because they task current employees with training new-hires, on top of the other work that they've inherited from employees that have left AND their own work. There are also a lot of office politics, but you'll usually encounter this in any corporation. Basically, this is just a good job to have for a certain period of time to rack up some experience - until you can find a company that actually values their employees and will pay them what they're worth. This may explain the revolving door here.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees a little more fairly (see: industry averages). Do not neglect certain products or the people who are holding them together, simply because they do not generate as much revenue for the company. Also, hire more people instead of dumping so many responsibilities on certain employees that seem like they're willing to take it on. You are taking advantage of them and they will be more likely to leave the company with less than 2-weeks notice as soon as they find something better. (This is if they have not already had a heart attack or stroke from all the stress put on them.)

When does this stop?

Engineer (Current Employee) Carrollton, TX

ProsNone at this time. I don't feel there are any and I plan on leaving as soon as I find something else.

ConsTeams do not communicate or share information with one another.
    Management doesn't listen to people actually doing work. They think it's either their way or no way.
    Top-heavy management. Talent is leaving leaving company short staffed with no one coming to replace them. New management brought in again. This happens yearly because no one will stay.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees and stop spending, spending, spending on stuff not needed. Yes, it's nice to have but this company is going to "nice to have" itself into bankruptcy.

Work Life Balance: Not for Their US Employees

(Former Employee)

ProsPay check twice a month.

ConsTime off in India:
    15 vacation days + 12 personal days + 12 holidays + 12 sick days = 51 days

Time off in the US:
    10 vacation days + 3 floating holidays + 8 holidays + 5 sick days = 26 days.

Since they send the jobs to India anyway, they will be able to claim that their have an excellent work life balance.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Terrible Work Environment, Broken Management, Good Old Boys Club atmosphere

Sales Representative (Former Employee)

ProsThey cater in food for the home office employees and take top sales reps on glamorous trips

ConsManagement and leadership in general is arrogant, sexist, and slow to adapt.

Constant reorganization is disruptive to teams and clients alike.

A lot of executive and middle management pork needs to be trimmed off this hog. What do these people do?

Benefits are just "okay" given the size of this organization.

Churn and burn approach to hiring shows.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on retaining top talent instead of burning them out or forcing them to leave because of mismanagement. Hire a consulting firm to get rid of personnel redundancies and identify real solutions for growth, inter-company merges, and comp packages that retain top talent. The "good old boys club" vibe is a major turn off and alienates the majority of employees.

Senior Accountant

Senior Accountant (Current Employee) Carrollton, TX

ProsHiring process was quick and fast
    There is job security due to the turn over rate so this is a pro and a con.

ConsEight close week
    50-65 hours a weeks during close
    Staff is always stressed and depressed, no such thing as a work life balance
    Turnover rate is really high

Advice to Senior Managementconsider purchasing an accounting systems

The Real Deal

Loser (Former Employee)

ProsWorking from a Remote Location

ConsYou are expected to move families into Assisted Living Facilties. If you do not have at least 4 moves per month, you are not meeting the goals. However there are alot of factors not taken into consideration. One, the cost. In certain areas, Assisted Living can be as much as 6000 for the room alone not including level of care charges...Next, is not as if we are able to tour the communities we recommend, so we are now handing it off to a community.,,their sales director may not have their act together and for whatever reason the family decides against that particular community.
    Sometimes families are not ready to make that move. Plain and simple. If you are able to keep your loved one at home rather than have strangers care for them then more power to you

Advice to Senior ManagementStop only focusing on your pet employees (and giving negative attention to your "weak links" Every member of the team is valuable and brings something to the table.
     Help the communities understand our value.

2 years of my life that I will never get back

Account Manager- Screening (Current Employee) Carrollton, TX

ProsNo one knows you're there, so it doesn't matter if you leave early or come in late

Cons"Comp plans"-- you'll never see that money. And if you do, it won't be paid on time. And if it is, they might even take it back. Payroll department doesn't get anything right. They do not pay out PTO upon leaving (even on great terms). E-mails from company representatives regarding pay "don't count". I would encourage anyone who joins this group to not sign the Terms and Conditions. Again, no one will know or care that you work there, so they wont notice a document with a missing signature.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure you know what the other departments are conveying to your staff, because it's all different.

If you never want to get a promotion this company is for you!

Account Manager (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsIf you are someone that likes sliding under the radar, doing minimal work, not having any work satisfaction, and not getting acknowledged -- this place is for you!

ConsThe pay is terrible. Only take this job is you have nothing else lined up as a sign of desperation. I worked on the Account Management team and the management was terrible. But the employees at the bottom of the totem pole are great. Account Managers are treated like crap -- even though we save the accounts the sales people have over promised great things to, and RealPage can't deliver.

This is absolutely one of those companies where the higher up you are, the less work you do. If you are in San Francisco you need to make buddies with some higher ups in Texas or else your chances of getting a promotion are slim to none. Part of working in San Francisco and in the tech space is expecting a stocked kitchen and snacks -- it's just part of the culture. The company took it away from the SF office because it is not part of the culture in Texas.

When I left the company, my manager told me she was sad for me "professionally". Talk about poor management when a manager is sad for you that you are leaving for a better position and much higher pay. It is truly a sign that management does not want you to succeed.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of middle management. They do not do anything except sit on conference calls that will be repeated to the employees the next day and send out emails. I can vouch that my manager had no idea what anyone on her team did or how any of the systems functioned.

Property Management Company pretending to be a software company

Product Development (Former Employee) Carrollton, TX

ProsNone really. Any good reviews here, I'm sure are put there by RealPage HR. I have not met a lot of very happy employees at this company. My advise, if you get a job offer politely turn it down and look for another company.

Cons1. Senior management is full of property management folks who have no clue about software development.
    2. Very high turnover rate. The only employees who remain at this place are people who can't find a job elsewhere.
    3. Management is more concerned with Wall Street than product or customers. The CEO dumps a good portion of his shares into the market every year, so he is only concerned about maintaining the stock price.
    4. There is a re-org every three months. I reported to 7 managers in 2 years. Promotion based on favoritism and not merit. Incompetent people are promoted, while hard working employees are looked over.
    5. HR is a big joke and totally pro management. Don't look to them for help. Benefits and PTO are severely lacking.
    6. Company does not have any organic growth, bottom-line is declining. The growth numbers shown by the company are only maintained due to acquisitions.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart investing in your employees and stop changing direction every three months. Start focusing more on product than revenue\stock price. The rest will follow.

No room for career improvements.

Developer (Current Employee) Manila, Manila (Philippines)

ProsI'm working at their Philippines office.

1. Flexible work hours.
    2. Decent salary
    3. People are friendly, well it's Philippines anyways.

Cons1. They won't allow additional benefits because it's not in the law and Texas office won't allow it.

2. Promotion is very slow. And if there is promotion the right people don't get it.

3. You do not have a clear job description. You will do QA tasks and BA tasks.

4. Tasks coming from Texas are inhumane. They wanted tasks to be done in two days when it is usually done in two months!

5. They are implementing agile, and I don't think they are implementing it right.

6. Product owners don't know how to say no to clients.

7. Did I say that annual performance evaluation is biased?

There's more!

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees.

Worked for RealPage? Contribute to the Community!