RealPage Reviews

248 reviews filtered by
2.6
RealPage CEO Stephen T. Winn
Stephen T. Winn

Pros
  • Office culture in San Francisco is a bit laid back for some teams, good work/life balance (in 9 reviews)

• Cool Office location, great people to be around (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Staff is always stressed and depressed, no such thing as a work life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Upper management does not readily share information (in 11 reviews)

1. Poor leadership that trickles down

I have been working at RealPage

Pros

There are actually some really nice people at RealPage, and some are passionate and hard workers.

If you work out of the Texas offices things are probably more stable for you.

You might get lucky when it comes to compensation. Some new hires were compensated at market value.

Cons

We are known as "RealChange" internally. Unfortunately, this is in no way positive. Inability to commit to anything for over 6 months and poor leadership creates a revolving door in middle and upper management, which sabotages long term projects and goals.

Horrible annual increases and deceptive salary incentives. I flat out did not receive a penny for the incentive program I agreed to.

The fact that I had to really struggle to think of Pros is telling.

Disclosure: I work out of one of the three remote offices that is closing.

Poor leadership and office politics is sinking this ship.

2. RealPage... A Real Disappointment.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carrollton, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carrollton, TX

I have been working at RealPage

Pros

Competitive wages and benefits. Convenience to local restaurants. Discounts on local gyms. Fun coworkers.

Cons

Terrible management. I work in the marketing department and the Carrollton office. There are NO procedures, no one does what they're supposed to. The other departments/clients don't provide information/feedback on time and yet still expect us to meet their deadlines... No one communicates properly! The marketing department heads do what they want and dismiss others. They sit in discovery meetings, listening to what is needed and then go off and do something completely different. If addition, everything is an emergency. Leading to a lot of unneeded overtime. The VP treats everyone (besides his direct reports) Luke they are beneath him.

Lastly, they offer stock both as reward/ compensation and also for sale. It is worthless. Most of it is given at an over inflated value and is under water.

Finally, RealPage claims that they offer growth opportunities. In the years I've been there I've only seen a couple people realize that in my department. The reality, as i see it is, they put you where they want you and leave you there.

Not all of the management at RealPage is bad, but there needs to be someone that takes a very serious look at all of the management at RealPage, review them individually, interview their staff and take serious measures to make big changes in that company. Otherwise stock prices are going to continue to fall.

Corruption is Festering

Former Employee - Vice President in Carrollton, TX
    Former Employee - Vice President in Carrollton, TX

I worked at RealPage full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Close to restaurants that allow many lunchtime options for employees. Benefits are mediocre at best. Basically they look at similar industries and come up with an average cost/benefit for the employee but I thought it to be subpar during my tenure. Base salary offered is generally in line with market average for the Carrollton location.

Cons

Corruption in this company is rampant. Most executives at the SVP level and higher are cronies of the CEO and manage in whatever direction the wind is blowing in order to keep their job. I was at the VP level along with many others (similar to a bank, most people are VP’s) where majority of my peers would not hold the same job title in other companies, especially the Fortune 500. I found that job titles were only to placate egos but backed up by no real authority other than what you might expect to see at a “Manager” level with other employers.

HR is probably the worst excuse for a Human Capital entity within a company that I have ever experienced. Very shady leadership in this department and it all rolls downhill. Not very polished and somewhat condescending when attempting to correspond with in order to resolve internal operational issues that have arisen within my department. I recommend you avoid them wherever possible.

A 401k is offered but employer contribution is low and only deposited into your account once per-year with Board of Directors approval. As attrition is high, probability of an actual payout for a lot of employees will be low.

In lieu of your base salary, at the Director level and higher, they will tell you about a Management Incentive Plan (MIP) i.e. Bonus that will be paid out to you each year. I never received a bonus in the two years I worked for RealPage.

The United Way campaign parking space lottery is another farce. Parking in general is ridiculous. Very limited spaces but as long as the SVP’s and higher receive their front door space there will be no concern for anyone else. Hand over a lot of money and hope you receive something decent is how the game is played for everyone else and this way we can be listed as a top United Way donor company.

Come into the organization with a lot of bright ideas about enhancements with technology but since capital expenditure request are approved few and far between, don’t expect your dreams to come to fruition.
    Most intelligent people who join this organization at the management level and higher end up getting ran off after realizing they are not one of the cronies and therefore won’t completely “fit into the culture”. Nothing will change at this place until it is either bought out and/or the current CEO is forced out.

I had 4 different bosses in the course of one year. They were either moved via reorganization or forced out of the company due to incompetence. With this type of attrition and the CEO calling all of the shots, I believe my giving advice to upper management would be futile.

5. Great People! Poor Promotion Method.

Former Employee - Marketing Associate in Carrollton, TX
    Former Employee - Marketing Associate in Carrollton, TX

I worked at RealPage full-time

Pros

The people I worked with were extremely nice. They became like family. I have made life long friends by working there. If you had a work/life conflict with your schedule, you could easily post it to try to swap with other employees. Every time I personally did that, I got what I asked for in return.

Cons

You have to be there 9 months before you can get promoted to another position. I think it should be 3 to 6 months personally. Nine months is along time to wait when the job becomes more monotonous each day you are there. Even if you show great strengths and aptitude, it is detrimental to a persons psyche knowing they have to wait that long. What they don't tell you is if you get so many occurrences for personal/sick days you won't even be considered for the position even though the circumstances were out of your control. Starting this position, I knew there was a lot of turnover.

When you first start out, nine times out of ten you will get the late shifts. Once you get some seniority, you get better shifts.

Sometimes, breaks and lunches would be late because you have to finish a call or get one right when you are about to clock out for lunch. You are pretty much sedentary your whole shift minus lunch and breaks. If you are an active person this position might not be for you. The main reason I took this position was because of they pay.

More than anything I would have to say promotions. Reward someone who is doing well and wants to stay with the company before 9 months in. There will always be people looking for employment. Granted, I know there are cost on both ends of trying to find new people, but the happiness of the employees makes the success of the company.

6. Sink or Swim...but in a good way.

Current Employee - Operations in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Operations in Dallas, TX

I have been working at RealPage full-time

Pros

-Good People
    -Good Pay
    -New Workspaces
    -Development/training (if you ask for it)
    -Constantly Evolving
    -Positive Improvements
    -Some Newer Technology
    -Entrepreneurial Spirit
    -Fast Paced

Overall I have really enjoyed working here the past 2.5 years, I know that each team and department are different but I love the people and I feel like my managers have really invested in me and want me to be successful. I enjoy that there are annual reviews and merit increases if you deserve them. There is an attitude of sink or swim here. If you want to come in and do the same thing every day and not be expected to grow or be challenged then yeah you will not make it. The company is growing, and quickly, that presents unique challenges but also a great opportunity as well. Frankly I am glad there are some initiatives to consolidate the remote offices to TX, there was disconnect between the teams and the cultural differences (i.e. coming in at 10:30 am vs. 8:30 am) made it difficult to collaborate. I also heard they offered severance packages and are relocating some people which is more than fair in such a competitive market for tech talent. There is definitely room for improvement, but I feel that management is moving in the right direction.

Cons

-Benefits
    -401k match
    -Parking
    -Some Managers who won't leave or be fired

There are some managers here who have been shifted around it seems when they aren't performing, it'd be better if they would just trim the fat and hire someone better. Parking is difficult and it would be great if everyone was in one building. Biggest complaint is that "merit increases" don't feel like that big of an increase.

Get rid of non-performing managers who you feel "loyal" to and stop diminishing the benefits.

7. Dissatisfied

Current Employee - Recruitment Specialist in Manila, Manila (Philippines)
    Current Employee - Recruitment Specialist in Manila, Manila (Philippines)

I have been working at RealPage full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people is the best thing in this company.

Cons

Culture is what keeps this company from being the best.

Not exactly One Realpage

Current Employee - Technology in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Technology in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at RealPage full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People are fantastic. I work out of the SF office and the culture is like family. We all want to chip in a help each other out.

Cons

Unfortunately, the main office located in Texas doesn't exactly follow the culture set here in the Bay Area. A lot of finger point when something goes wrong instead of the solution that is needed.

Direct management is good, but beyond the layers of higher management is very disconnected from the actually people who do the work.

9. non-blondes need not apply

I worked at RealPage full-time (more than a year)

Pros

A lot of smart and talented people. Stable, well-established company. Nice for those needing a chair to sit in and a steady paycheck.

Cons

Power balance shifts frequently and irrationally due to strong cliques. Watch out if you're one of the outsiders
    Farrah Fawcett types seem to excel in this environment.

Better sense of checks and balances, less concentration of power in the hands of the clique.

Company doesnt care for itns employees

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carrolton, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carrolton, CA

I have been working at RealPage

Pros

Its a great place get to know others great people to work with and to gain experience,

Cons

they cant keep management, and entire teams for very long due to over working and under paying there employees. and when something is brought up to the attention of management or HR that is obviously wrong in how it was done nothing is done about it. (this could change in future but over past few years this is how its been in the event it changes will provide an updated review)

listen to your employees fist and fore most, and stop trying to screw people out of the compensation that they deserve for the position they hold

It's not looking good.

I have been working at RealPage full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Job security, some good managers exist, work is not demanding.

Cons

Executive management has gone to hell, no one on the Board knows how to run a 21st century tech outfit. Incompetence throughout corporate leadership. Compensation goes nowhere. Few exceptional employees exist, lots of mediocrity. Employee feedback to upper-management is nonexistent.

Complete house cleaning needed at executive level, which won't happen until the CEO is (forced) out. Best case scenario is company treads water until then.