RealPage Reviews

Updated October 10, 2014
2.9

RealPage CEO Stephen T. Winn
Stephen T. Winn

Pros
  • Office culture in San Francisco is a bit laid back for some teams, good work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Cool Office location, great people to be around (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Staff is always stressed and depressed, no such thing as a work life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Upper management does not readily share information (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Job depends on your manager and group

Current Employee - Manager in Carrollton, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Carrollton, TX

I have been working at RealPage full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Laid back atmosphere.
    Nice workspace.
    Decent work/life balance but it all depends on your manager and group. There are some really terrible managers that play favorites, politic constantly, talk behind everyone's backs and only worry about making themselves look good. They rule by fear.
    There are some managers that really care about the employees and growing them professionally. They lead by example and want you to have a life outside of work. The groups/departments are drastically different.
    If you are lucky enough to land in a good group with a quality manager that wants you to succeed, hang on! They do exist.

Cons

Decent pay if you're coming off the street. Transferring within the company, ridiculous. Promotions don't mean you can make what your peers are making for the same job or the offer you'd have if you were an outside candidate. It means an increase that has to be approved by 10 people and probably won't get you anywhere near where it should.
    The company has a lot of growth and you can almost do nothing and keep your job. That being said, new positions are only added in India and the Philippines but the tasks assigned to them is embarrassing. Most of my peers in India have 10 more years of education or experience or both but they are given the tasks that a high school student could accomplish. They should be utilized more or they'll be bored and leave.
    Management is so top heavy!! And they reorganize the groups every 30 days or so! I know people who don't even know who they report to.

Those surveys we take every year, read them.

Fast growing, long hours, bad management & NO proper training.

I worked at RealPage (more than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers, casual environment, okay pay & benefits.

Cons

No work balance, management talks behind your back to other managers & your peers. EXTREMELY Long hours, high turnover rate in most departments. HR does not know the meaning of Privacy.

Listen more & take the advice of your employees. You are not the only ones that want the company to succeed

OK place to work.

I worked at RealPage full-time

Pros

Flexible hours. Great people to work with.

Cons

not much opportunity to move up.

figure out how to integrate the various groups from the different offices.

Good place to work.

Former Employee - Supervisor in Carrollton, TX
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Carrollton, TX

I worked at RealPage full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits for all employees.

Cons

Upper management does not readily share information.

Be more willing to share information

Developer Career Killer

Current Employee - Developer IV in Carrollton, TX
    Current Employee - Developer IV in Carrollton, TX

I have been working at RealPage full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Hmmm. I don't have anything positive to say about my time here. It has been a very disheartening and disappointing experience.

Cons

1) No career path for Developers - I personally one Dev who has been at Dev III for ten years. 2) Outsourcing real development - what kind of software company outsources the development of its products to a third-world consulting company? It shows a complete lack of regard and respect for its own Developers. RP developers are there only for maintenance. 3) Lack of direction and obvious incompetence from Executive Management - RP goes through a management "restructuring" every six months. I personally have reported to four managers in 2.5 years and I know other Devs who have reported to 4 or 5 different managers in the last 1.5 years.

Fall on your sword already - you are the problem!

HR stuck in the 19th century

I worked at RealPage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice office in the SOMA.

Cons

Their benefits are a joke. At least by San Francisco standards.
    They grant you 2 weeks of vacation per year. I think it is difficult to find a company in SF
    that would give you less than 3 weeks, 4 is the new standard. And the startups usually
    offer unlimited vacation.

But there is more: you cannot use your vacation until you accrue it. So you want to take full week
    you have to wait to July. I had never heard about companies with such a policy,
    so I didn't bother to check the HR manual before I joined.

But there is more: until last year, you didn't accrue any vacation during the first 3 months of employment.
    Because having to pay somebody for 2.5 days will make a different in company financials.
    Eventually they realized that that was putting them in the 18th century, so they got rid it this policy.

I have to admit though that the middle management is quite reasonable and doesn't take the "accrue before use" policy seriously, which is why people still work there.

Fire the person who writes "we offer generous vacation policy" in the job postings.

Great place to work.

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Carrollton, TX
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Carrollton, TX

I have been working at RealPage as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Great people, good location, people are treated right.

Cons

Sometimes difficult to get IT working, or necessary software installed.

Publicly reward excellent work performance.

I loved working there

Former Employee - Offsite Leasing Agent in Carrollton, TX
    Former Employee - Offsite Leasing Agent in Carrollton, TX

I worked at RealPage full-time

Pros

Pay is great, meet some interesting people and good benefits.

Cons

Crazy hours no time for yourself or family

None

Watch your back...

Former Employee - Developer IV in Carrollton, TX
    Former Employee - Developer IV in Carrollton, TX

I worked at RealPage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Negotiate well your salary going in. You will likely get it if you are a mover and a player in your chosen profession.

Cons

Behind the technology curve - they toss around terms like technology debt and wear it like a badge of honor.
    Too much development - when the pros have already made something OOB to take care of many of the problems RP has in its enterprise.

Let up off the gas and fix your infrastructure. There would be more gains by solving common issues that have been solved out of the box by other companies so that RP doesn't have to reinvent the wheel each time it has a problem. It waste lots of development time.
    People who are in leadership must rely more on the people on their teams. There are no solo acts on a team, and middle management for the most part are all about themselves and not about building teams.

Dysfuntional

Former Employee - Vice President in Carrollton, TX
    Former Employee - Vice President in Carrollton, TX

I worked at RealPage full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent Pay, Good equity compensation structure.

Cons

CEO changes direction frequently and rules with an iron first. Senior management team changes almost annually, Technology is outdated technology, products are stale, no investment in modernizing, too many acquisitions poorly integrated and envisioned.

Empower people to do their job, invest in getting out of 1999 web technology, make the products work better together. Stop buying revenue and focus on making what you have better so your sales reps can sell more of it.