Rearden Commerce

Rearden Commerce Reviews

Updated May 14, 2014

Rearden Commerce Chairman and CEO Patrick W. Grady

Patrick W. Grady

Pros
  • They are very flexible in terms of hours, manaing your own work load and allowing a work-life balance(in 7 reviews)

• Some good people get hired, unfortunately they don't stay(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Way too many people and the wrong people are in senior management roles(in 14 reviews)

• Hard to take upper management seriously when they seem to be so out of touch(in 10 reviews)

The worst stop in a long career...avoid this train wreck at all costs

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Foster City, CA

ProsThe vision sounds great and compelling. The investor list is very impressive. There are some good people who care and want to succeed.

ConsThe CEO is incompetent having failed to build a successful business, create an effective culture or hire and grow a leadership team. The is no track record of execution, an environment of favoritism and an underlying foundation built on fear. The culture has been described as "fear and loathing at Rearden." The BOD is either asleep, afraid or disinterested based on their lack of intervention or involvement. The best advice to those who consider Rearden is to run...and for those who are their to update their resumes.

Advice to Senior ManagementA change at the top is essential. The CEO is the common denomintor in a history of non-performance. No other band-aid measure will have any impact without that change! Time to wake up BOD!

Waste of a strong engineering team...

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Foster City, CA

ProsAs the title says, the engineering team is very strong, talented and dedicated bunch of people, but all that is wasted due to poor, horrible product management and inconsistent roadmap.

Some cool technologies, lots of scope for innovation, very open and fair working conditions, trust amongst other engineers are definite plus points here which are marred by a HUGE downside that the work that you do might not get used in actual production with real customers.

Too much bet is being put on the new Deem platform and its touted as something innovative (which it might as well be) but companies like Concur have similar products and already existing wide spreading customer base.

Nice office parties and very cool bunch on engineers are plus

ConsMany
    Just to list a few
    - No strong brand name to show on your resume
    - Frequent hiring-firing cycles, very less job stability. Only secure job in the company is that of the CEO
    - No real customer base for new products
    - Inconsistent roadmaps (which is changing now)
    - Frequent changes in the VP and CXO level staff
    - Dilution of stocks from time to time

Advice to Senior ManagementUnder-promise and over-deliver is always better than other way round.

I don't care what other people say - I love it here!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Foster City, CA

ProsI've found it to be true in life that when you have something horrible to say about someone or something you blast it to everyone - your friends, the internet and your family. However, when people are pleased with something they might tell a few people here and there, but its rarely broadcasted. I have been working at this company for almost a year. I've just read these postings on this website and I honestly don't understand where these hate-filled, completely negative reviews are coming from!

My team here at Rearden is awesome. My coworkers are kind people and the managers are intelligent. People help each other and want one another to succeed. Sure, there has been some refocusing, but tell me a company that does not do that!

Oh and to the person who said our stock was diluted -- it wasn't. Be factual.

The bar is set very high here. Its a fast paced work environment and you are expected to learn and grow. Maybe some of these negative reviews are written by people that didn't like that type of culture, I don't know and honestly, its not my business.

I am enjoying my time here! From the HQ get togethers, the theme parties, to the people, I would definitely recommend this place.

ConsThey let you work from home after you have been ramped up.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work with transparency. It is appreciated and its very helpful!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fighting a tidal wave with a shovel

Former Employee (Former Employee) Foster City, CA

ProsThe employees who work at Rearden are well-meaning and honest people. If there is one thing I miss, it is the co-workers that were fighting the good fight side-by-side trying to change the trajectory of this failing and poorly managed company.

Additionally, there was never a dull moment here - someone was always getting fired or humiliated while I worked here. E.g. VP walked out by HR while a company meeting was going on.

ConsWhile the cons of working of Rearden are too long to list here, I will focus on the major ones.

* The stock is absolutely worthless after this many funding rounds.
    Rearden has been around for nearly 12 years and has raised more than 7 rounds of financing. Each successive round dilutes the stock. Combine it with the acquisitions that Rearden has made and you get nearly a billion shares outstanding. Those who can do math will understand that there is no money to be made here regardless of how many shares they offer you. Especially when there are so many other competing opportunities in Silicon Valley.

* The management is like the dictatorship of a third-world country
    People get professionally 'executed' with alarming regularity. The CEO is like an untouchable sycophant who makes erratic decisions and reverses course frequently. For example, SMB was supposed to be the biggest thing since sliced bread before it went stale. Then it was loyalty, and before that it was Enterprise... you get the picture. No company can survive with this many pivots to its strategy.

* Rearden's business model and ideas are tired and old in 2012
    This was a cool company to work for half a decade ago but has now been exposed for what it really is - vaporware on powerpoint decks. The core application has aged ungracefully and has been eclipsed by several consumer and enterprise products in the market. No VC would invest in this idea if Rearden was starting out today - it is a commoditized marketplace. Even the absolutely largest gorilla of this marketplace (Concur) is only worth $3B in market cap. Even if Rearden were lucky enough to capture all of Concur's market share, it would never come close to making financial sense for employees joining now.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpecifically to the board: You cannot allow the current CEO to continue to run this company with his continued track record of failure. As officers of this company, you have failed to conduct your duty and should resign from your posts - even if it comes half a decade too late.

A difficult experience given organizational inefficiencies

Manager (Former Employee) Foster City, CA

ProsStartup-type environment. A number of people are very enthusiastic about working there. The salaries are market competitive. Engineers have the ability to play around with new technologies. Work-life balance is pretty good. Company meetings are effective at sharing information and spotlighting books/topics of interest.

ConsProject management seems to have difficulty moving towards delivery goals effectively. Scoping of engineering effort often "best case" not realistic. Customer relationship management is poor. Company is spread too-thin across many initiatives. Business direction is questionable.

Good intentions gone astray.

Manager (Current Employee) Foster City, CA

ProsRearden has many educated, highly skilled and passionate people who want to see the company succeed. The people make the company.

ConsThere has been a fair amount of executive turnover making the path to success challenging. There have also been a few changes in corporate direction in the past couple of years again making it challenging in the workplace.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook and listen. There are great people working at Rearden who have expertise and knowledge and can help take the company to the next level.

A BIG JOKE

Director (Former Employee) Foster City, CA

ProsNice people (employees, that is).
    The below comments are all sarcastic:
    - Ability to work at an "eternal" startup and hope options would be worth something (I'm being sarcastic).
    - Getting to see the CEO walk around and profess like he just invented the light bulb and how his $1B valuation company is going to get bought some day and employees should stick around.
    - Hearing about how great things are going, seeing a bunch of interns hired, trained to dance, and then firing about 100 people only 2 weeks later, including the interns.
    - Seeing and participating in the "Parties on the deck of the Titanic" while the ship is sinking.
    - Getting to watch senior leaders make stuff up as they go along and not being able to deliver it

Cons- Leadership Team that is recycled every few months.
    - Joke of certain folks on the Leadership Team (it's a grab-bag).
    - Literally hiring binges, followed by mass layoffs, every few months. I think this is called bulimia for people. They have corporate bulimia.
    - Pass the buck mentality.
    - Feeling the brunt of senior leaders make stuff up as they go along, not be able to deliver it, and suffering the consequences of their babbling...

Advice to Senior ManagementBe real. Listen to your star employees and performers when they tell you things aren't working. Stop selling promises your egos and/or the company can't cash.

Incompetency personified

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThe compensation is fair. That is about all I can think of...

ConsWhere should we start? There is absolutely no room for growth. Promotions are few and far between. Unsure of the product Rearden is actually selling. It seems very Madoff-esque in its secrecy and lack of revenue. A lot of talk and no product in sight. The CEO is a nightmare. Stay away!

Rearden Commerce finally on track

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Foster City, CA

ProsNew strategic leadership; current technologies; the company finally has an achievable and conservative financial plan to move to positive cash flow and net earnings; high energy, fun work place where innovation is respected and encouraged.

ConsStill a lot of legacy (old) code that needs to be deprecated; focus on operational stability; the company is still recovering from smallish RIF, even though the RIF was inspired by consciously exiting or minimizing certain lines of business - even so, it was a morale hit

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the momentum going; continue to share information with the general employee base; you get trust by giving trust

Amazing people, amazing opportunities!

Market Specialist (Current Employee) Scottsdale, AZ

ProsThis organization creates great incentives. It is fun to work here! As a sales professional for quite some time, I am impressed with the incredible integrity, forward-thinking of the entire organization and a management team that cares.

This company promotes from within. From the start they only hire people of substance.

The work environment provides newly remodeled office with covered parking. Those are only a few of the benefits provided in the physical environment. The benefits and pay are very good for a sales position in the Valley.

ConsAs of yet, haven't discovered one!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work - you are doing it right!

Worked for Rearden Commerce? Contribute to the Community!