Rearden Commerce

Rearden Commerce Reviews

Updated May 14, 2014

Rearden Commerce Chairman and CEO Patrick W. Grady

Patrick W. Grady

Pros
  • They are very flexible in terms of hours, manaing your own work load and allowing a work-life balance(in 7 reviews)

• Some good people get hired, unfortunately they don't stay(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Way too many people and the wrong people are in senior management roles(in 14 reviews)

• Hard to take upper management seriously when they seem to be so out of touch(in 10 reviews)

Lacks QA management ladder

ProsI had a good learning experience technically but there are a lot of non technical managers which is not essentially a good thing. Start up culture, there is food/drinks, fun activities, games etc. Not that process heavy but i see that changing everyday. Good starting salary but bad adjustments. The company makes an effort to attract talent but doesnt know how to retain it.

ConsLacks QA management ladder. The organization is very development-centric, They like to think that they value quality of application but they dont. Upper management is very volatile, high turn over rates. Since i had joined the company i have seen the upper management change several times. Every new management brings their own management style. Very top heavy not enough engineers. A lot of people enjoy fancy title and get away with not having to technically contribute.

Advice to Senior ManagementDesign QA management ladder
    Reduce the numbers of managers and director/sr directors
    Stick to a business direction.

A company destined for nothing but the toilet bowl. Not a ride I would want on anyone.

Market Specialist (Current Employee) Scottsdale, AZ

ProsDecent hourly pay, except that will be all you make so be sure to come in on the higher 35,000 range.

Cons- all the wonders you will be sold in interview process are lies
    - you hours will change from a start time of 5 am to 9 regularly and this is mentioned not once prior to hiring. I have seen mothers who were told 8 am, who had even discussed hours for specific reasoning of getting kids to school in interview, get fired when on Fri were told new hours of 6 and they couldn't make fast enough arrangements get fired
    - company focus changes weekly so no stability and constant change without notice, very hard to deal with the abusive corrections for doing what you were told the week before
    - CEO, VP and all management from the top down manage and deal with people through abusive, demeaning tactics and literally value the fear based atmosphere they have created. I have heard them laugh about a woman who made the mistake of voicing she felt Confused on her job duties and that she was afraid of loosing her job. She was fired the next day.
    - training includes 2 weeks of nothing. You leave training asking what it is you do. Training on floor from immediate manager further confuses
    - any time they had a good thing for the company, like contracts with large financial institutions, they were fires because as with everything...Rearden over promises and under delivers on everything and to everyone.
    - this is a place that fire 9 out of 10 people within 3 mo this before insurance kicks in. They will promise you the world and then out of the blue fire you. I would hate for anyone to have to go they what I did with these people, so please really think hard about it. I don't care who you are, chances are you will be fired sin e anyone who is a good quality person and a talented sales person gets fired.
    - manageny laughs about the amount of lay offs and firings
    -this place will turn the most balanced, level headed person into a stressed out, blessing ulcer, mess of stress and what's sad is they love it. They have created an environment that keeps people afraid and they have learned to enjoy it.
    -scottsdale office the worst in the world. A broiler room would nicer

Advice to Senior Management-get a game plan and stick to it
    - deliver what you promise or at lease part...better yet stop making promises you have no intentions of living up to.
    -get a real trainer and learn to train your people
    - stop changing roles of job on regular basis.
    - most important, represent the job honestly. Stop bieng dishonest and secretive about the job. It is a groupon and nothing more. Maybe if you could accept this and stop saying you are not a groupon competitor it would make life easier
    - stop treating employees like they are expendable for fun. Your behavior is dishonest, violent in a passive aggressive manner, demeaning and over all more horrific than anyone who has not experienced it can understand. Have some respect for the great people you manage to hire and stop being abusive. Has anyone ever though that maybe Khama is why nothing works out for Rearden? Nothing good comes from such a fear based environment. Turning your employees on each other out of fear of loosing job and bullying because you can is sick.

There should be a warning beacon around this company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Foster City, CA

ProsSalary is decent. They do manage to hire some talented people along the way, even though those people don't last long.

ConsEverything.
    - Horrible CEO
    - Toxic culture of fear that starts at the top and rolls all the way down
    - Everyone gets fired
    - Product and concept keeps changing because the vision is flawed. If it hasn't succeeded by now, it's not going to.
    - Lots of promises are made during the recruiting process that turn out to be just lies

Advice to Senior ManagementThe Board of Directors should really replace the CEO if they ever want any chance of having a successful company

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Software Engineer

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Foster City, CA

ProsVery nice work culture.
    Flexible hours. Collaborative team approch.
    Free Food. Everything is so clear between company and employees.
    Many party events.

ConsTechnology in some QA area need to improve.

Product Management

Product Manager (Former Employee) Foster City, CA

ProsInnovation, Great Talent, Good learning opportunity

ConsUncertinty , Lack of direction

Advice to Senior ManagementBuild a strategy that sticks

Worked here for several months. Have poor training. Poor cooperation of co workers who have longevity there.

Market Specialist (Former Employee)

ProsHourly pay was pretty fair.

ConsWanted you to make 150+ outbound business to business calls. This was not part of the original job description.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is a very competitive industry. Businesses are bombarded with too many insincere calls daily.

Quite good

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsVibrant social life, excellent people, good technological stack, up to date process and practices

ConsUnclear leadership, poor execution, unreasonable expectations

Advice to Senior Managementmore consistency

Transformation to Deem with new focus on WIGs

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsRising from the ashes like the Phoenix Deem is born with focus on wildly important goals that will result in benefits to customers of improved savings, sales and syndication in markets begging for an option such as Deem. Already the "buzz" among Silicon Valley executive insiders this is going to be the place to be for engineers and sales people that want to be on the leading edge of Commerce as a Service CaaS

ConsStill defining actionable items for WIGs and recent move to San Francisco has resulting in many people leaving which created gaps but also opportunities. There still are some unhappy people internally referred to as Eores. They have trappings of a fun place but for instance the bar is not stocked and no free sodas or Redbull and ocassional free food basically is just Chipotle takeout for 100. As part of new company came down hard on all employees about poor productivity.

Advice to Senior Management95% of people there do work hard and improved productivity measure of revenue per employee obviously improves with growth. Also alignment of team with 4dx WIGs will get the performance supercharged from peewee soccer level to Premier league champion level using Coveys famous soccer example

Pleased with my decision so far

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Scottsdale, AZ

Pros- Not micromanaged in my department. I'm able to work independently and also collaborate across my department and other teams
    - Work/life balance is great. Nice PTO package and am encouraged to work hard and take time off.
    - My direct management is very aware of my priorities on the job - don't want to see the team burn out
    - Love the office culture. Social events at least once a month, company-wide meetings keep the offices connected.

Cons- CEO is a little elusive
    - There isn't a lot of cohesion across the 4 int'l offices, which could be expected
    - Haven't been around for a year yet, so not familiar with performance review process

Advice to Senior ManagementAll around, make sure top leadership is truly leading their team and cultivating a culture where people want to work hard for the company.

What looks good on the outside isn't always good on the inside!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Foster City, CA

ProsThe vision is compelling, there are some very good people trying be successful and the list of investors is high profile and impressive.

ConsThe list is long! The CEO is a disaster with questionable ethics, emotional instability and a penchant for hyperbolic overstatement. The culture he has created has been called "fear and loathing" at Rearden" and lacks any semblance of cadence or execution. The turnover is excessive creating a severely damaged employment brand. The best advice is to skip this one...your career and life will be better for it.

Advice to Senior ManagementReplace the CEO with a professional, ethical and emotionally mature leader who will build an inspirational culture and create a strategic plan for success. You might want to replace the BOD as well since they have enabled this disaster.

Worked for Rearden Commerce? Contribute to the Community!