Rebekah Children's Services Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.1
Michael Sayes

I have been working at RCS for over 12 years.

Current Employee - Anonymous in Gilroy, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Gilroy, CA

I have been working at Rebekah Children's Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The best reason to work at Rebekah Children's Services is the tremendous heart the agency has. Staff are incredibly talented and awesome! Our new Executive Director Christophe Rebboah is moving the agency forward with great talent and ability.

Cons

A couple of ex-employees are going on Glassdoor with innuendos and untrue declarations. If these 2 woman feel that they are being truthful why not tell everyone who they are; one of these women has no problem putting our Executive Director's name out there. Get out of the dark and come forward with your full name. The reason I am not putting my name to this posting is that I do not wish to be targeted by you. Best wishes to you and yours.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Our children and families as well as staff appreciate your commitment.

Great opportunity for quick experience but not to stay

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gilroy, CA

Pros

You will not find better employees who truly care about one another and are dedicated to the kids. Great management who cares and listens to employees.

Cons

Overworked and underpaid. Executive level can are less about the kids and the quality of service we provide. Every decision is based on money even if it is to the detriment of the kids. A lot of amazing people have either left or been fired because of the mismanagement of the organization. Its very sad because RCS had so much potential and used to be an amazing place to work.

Exercise your Voice

Former Employee - Manager in Gilroy, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Gilroy, CA

I worked at Rebekah Children's Services full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I am really trying to say positive things but it's hard. A good thing is the legacy left behind by a few.

Cons

A ridiculous place to work. The Board is a complete joke, none invested in children and families and simply wanting to increase their accounts in savings. The place is severely out of compliance and now poses a risk to those who are vulnerable.

Advice to Management

Find a better place to work, a place that offers loyalty to employees and place that honors your ethics as human servants. Boy cut the Board!!!!

The wildest year and a half of my career thus far!

Former Employee - Recreational Therapist in Gilroy, CA
    Former Employee - Recreational Therapist in Gilroy, CA

I worked at Rebekah Children's Services (More than a year)

Pros

The poor, poor babies that arrive at Rebekah's are quite literally traumatized from abuse and/or neglect and need some serious love and therapy. On occassion, you actually get to make a difference in one of those children's lives.I live for the warm fuzzies. I loved my direct therapist coworkers. Also, the residential counselors are pretty good. They always had my back.

Cons

Everything else about this place sucks. It is a poorly managed non-profit with fools for upper management and a blind and uninvolved board. I could go on and on, but I'll just say that it was the single most stressful place I have ever worked (and I have worked at a state psychiatric facility!) Be prepared to be under supported, overworked, and underpaid. Literally, they are always in the red which causes people (specifically 'upstairs' and in QA) to constantly run around like chickens with their heads cut off, their turnover is out of control, AND their salaries are only about 75% of market value (at least for professional level positions.) I mean, the social workers are only pulling 50-55. Yet, there we all were, pulling 50+ hours a week, and for what? So we could go home and cry our possibly pull out all of our hair?? Last but not least, the place is a little shady. Ahem, operating licensed positions with unlicensed staff and god knows what they didn't report to CCL. Now, take what I say with a grain of salt. This is a level 14 residential facility for Emotionally disturbed children. Any lateral facility is likely going to present with similar issues. It just is what it is. Do it for the children, lol!

Advice to Management

Oh, where to begin? :)

Residential

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Rebekah Children's Services (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of dedicated people who do amazing things for the youth the company serves. Despite poor compensation, Benefits are excellent.

Cons

Lack of appreciation, Lack of Leadership, Lack of support, poor pay. In three years there has been three CEOs, which somehow has gotten progressively worse. In three years there has also been three directors of Human Resources. HR has gone from tyrannical to completely incompetent. This is a horrible place to work if you value being treated with respect and valued as an employee. The board is totally out of touch with what is going on and lets the officers run things without regard to what they are doing.

Advice to Management

Appreciate good employees, and compensate them appropriately. Take a hard look at the complete incompetence of the current HR department.

7. Needs Improvement

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Campbell, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Campbell, CA

Pros

I love my department! I have amazing coworkers and my department's managers are super awesome! They care about us and want to see us grow.

Cons

Why 2 stars? Well the stars go to my department but we are a small part of a large agency. The changes that have happened in the past 2 years has affected the morale. Many who did the Staff Satisfaction survey didn't say anything positive. I wish our ED would stop using religious terms as well since we have many staff and clients who are not the same religion. Also there were key people who were let go or left and it really hurt us.

Advice to Management

Please start treating people with respect. You can have your degrees, your titles, but if you have no respect, integrity, and lack leadership qualities then do the agency a favor and step down. There's a Huge gap between managers and line staff. I want a real positive change not the greediness that's tarnished the heart of the agency. No more threatening staff, no more targeting employees who want to speak their mind. Stop trying to dictate with fear. Many of are so afraid to speak up because no one else wants to be targeting and harassed.

Poor leadership doesn't even cover it. Four CEO's in a two-year period...

I worked at Rebekah Children's Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It used to be a great place to work, but has declined drastically over the last several years.

Cons

Current CEO (Christophe Rebboah) and other officers lack the knowledge to run the business. Board is run by a fraternal organization, and members also lack the necessary knowledge about the group home or mental health services, which explains why they continue to choose bad CEO's.

Advice to Management

Replace the Board and all of the Officers; they are all self-serving and retaliatory.

Disappointment in Management

I have been working at Rebekah Children's Services full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Mission to serve children and families is incredibly fulfilling.

Cons

The inexperience and lack of leadership skills from the executive level undermine what could be a wonderful organization

Advice to Management

Quit trying to win popularity contests and focus on doing good work

Mixed bag

Pros

The company offers a good benefits package-a good amount of time off that grows as you put in more time and great medical and dental. The mental health experience you get at the organization prepares you for a wide range of jobs and a high level of confidence with a range of mental health issues. There are a lot of long term staff to learn from and many of the therapists and the psychiatrist are excellent mental health professionals. I will say that my last manager did a great job of being consistent in his words and actions and actually addressed some of the negative staff dynamics. If he had been there earlier on I would not have left for another job offer. Good experience for early career experience in social services.

Cons

During my time at RCS there was a lot of transition including turnover of managers, lay-offs, and staff being fired. This type of constant unrest coupled with the lack of strong leadership did not create the best environment. Staff relationships were tense and there was a lot of distrust of leadership. I think your job satisfaction here varies greatly by department so keep that in mind. If you want to work there ask about the department's rate of staff turnover.

Advice to Management

If you say you are going to do something follow through. When you have hard working employees you need to give them opportunities based on that work or you will lose them.

Need make a change

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gilroy, CA

I have been working at Rebekah Children's Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My manager is amazing and the team that I work with as well. I work with a lot of people who truly care about the agency. There are many employees who have been at RCS for a long time. Flexible with time, able to leave if my kids are sick, or need time off

Cons

Better and competitive pay. Needs to be improve benefits. Need to have more events for staff.

Advice to Management

Last 9 months have crazy. Benefits need to improve, need more staff incentives, staff satisfaction, need to really listen to the employees. Also, need to bring in more donors! Also, need to be able to speak up and voice your concerns! Show and become a united front! Need to look at the current programs and improve on them for our clients.

RSS Feed </> Embed