Recombinant Data Corp. Reviews

3.6
Peter Emerson

Interesting Organization - Growing Pains

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

Pros

There are a lot of really great people at Recombinant - smart, generally helpful, and friendly. Healthcare data is a key part of a lot of big things going on these days, so they are in a good place in many ways.

Cons

Small company culture is generally a positive, but rapid growth does make things kind of chaotic at times. There's a strong dependence on clients getting grant funding to support projects, so there is some vulnerability to government / university budgeting that's out of their control.

Advice to Management

The rapid growth has made it hard to the team to understand the broader picture, and there's a bit of a "crisis of the day" atmosphere that someone once compared to three year-olds playing soccer - everyone runs to the ball....

2. Very negative work environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

I worked at Recombinant Data Corp. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay. Not sure there was anything more. Some really smart people but such a negative environment that it took away from everything else.

Cons

Founders and upper management were very abusive. I never worked somewhere that had so much yelling. The HR person was married to a founder so you didn't have an employee proponent if there were any issues.

Advice to Management

From what I heard it went down from there. No people I respected still work there. They left pretty soon after the Deloitte acquisition.

Was great startup until sold to Deloitte

Former Employee - Engineer in Newton, MA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Newton, MA

I worked at Recombinant Data Corp. full-time

Pros

Was a great bootstrap entrepreneurial, collaborative work environment until the sale of the company. Had tons of really smart, hard-working, friendly people and managers that cared about their employees and clients.

Cons

There were challenges associated with the fact that the direction of the company shifted quite frequently depending on the market making it difficult to develop products in a coherent well-planned fashion. There were many other process issues as well.

“Okay”

Pros

There are none I can think of.

Cons

There is to much office politics and insecurity among everyone. You will have multiple managers, and they all think they are the most important person to listen to. Micromanagement and No long term success.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees...

Entrepreneurial start up

Pros

moves fast, fasten your seat belt

Cons

lacks the discipline for long term success

7. FANTASTIC WORK ENVIRONMENT & AN AMAZING GROUP OF PEOPLE

I have been working at Recombinant Data Corp. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very entrepreneurial, autonomous and non-bureaucratic work environment. Things get done relatively quickly. Team members are very smart, supportive and helpful. The work is interesting and exciting and working on multiple projects keeps us challenged. The company is profitable and continuing to grow, and through regular meetings and open communication, we understand the impact of our efforts and contributions. Annual salary increases are very fair. We have a recreation room with ping pong and foos ball, so we while we work hard, we have fun, too! We have a Happy Hour Social the last Friday of every month from 4:00-5:00pm, and it's a great way to wind down from a week of hard work! The company gives out amex gift cards to reward us for going above and beyond in various ways, and it's a really nice touch.

Cons

If I can even call it a con...Since people have a lot on their plates, it's important to seek out guidance from others. As with any entrepreneurial company, due to not having a lot of resources, while mentors teach and train new-hires a fair amount, there isn't a formal on-the-job training.

8. Great Company to work for

I have been working at Recombinant Data Corp. full-time

Pros

The work the company does is interesting and important to research for health care informatics.

Cons

There are times when busier than comfortable.

9. Excellent Company

Pros

Recombinant is a collaborative workplace with excellent co-workers. Employees are knowledgeable and passionate. The work is challenging and fulfilling. Nice office environment.

Cons

Not many cons to mention. As with any fast growing company there are times when it is pedal to the metal and you have to actively search out help/feedback.

RSS Feed </> Embed