Recommind Reviews

Bob Tennant

1. Supervisor

Current Employee - Supervisor in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Recommind full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1- Plenty of Opportunity 2- Friendly Management 3- Relaxed Schedule 4- Good communication among departments 5- Plenty of sick leaves, PTOs and Happy Hours ;)

Cons

1- Work more than 40 hours/week 2- Compensation is below market rate 3- Lack of employee training 4- No Education/Certifications compensation 5- Micro-management

Started out so good...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Recommind full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great view located in the heart of the San Francisco Financial District. Free coffee. A few really smart people still left at the company.

Cons

No clear direction or end-game in sight for all the pivoting of vision that is going on. This is troubling to see in a 15 year old company - not a startup folks! Huge ambition, but nothing else backing that up - including funding. Attrition is high due to rounds of "reorganization" and due to skilled personnel moving on to greener pastures. Why is it that everyone else in Silicon Valley is in a hiring frenzy, while Recommind is actually shedding employees? Everyone is overloaded and wearing multiple hats. There is very much a blame culture within the organization globally, with everyone working to protect their own backsides instead of trying to work together to accomplish the goal. There is a lot of corporate bullying to get one's way, and the lower you are on the totem pole, the more crap that will come down on you.

Advice to Management

There's executives that do literally nothing at all. Please examine the management team and weed out those individuals and get rid of them. There are key people that are carrying the entire organization on their backs. Promote them to executive positions and have them define the priorities and the vision of the company. If you do this, they can right the ship.

What a waste!

I worked at Recommind full-time

Pros

Good people, good market space, decent technology and lots of potential

Cons

Management just not able to realize the potential. Keep hiring at the upper management level and going through so many re-orgs and changing responsibilities. Hard to see a good future ahead.

5. Regional Manager, eDiscovery

I have been working at Recommind (More than 5 years)

Pros

These are the smartest people I've ever worked with. I work remotely, but from the day I first started, people were kind, mostly helpful, and wanted me to succeed. Today, there is a much better training program than when I started several years ago. The company continues to perfect its eDiscovery offerings, and the marketing programs support our efforts. It's a complex sale, but the company surrounds us with resources to help us succeed.

Cons

Senior management changes focus too rapidly. For the size of the company, we are way too compartmentalized. Too many approvals needed to sell basic deals. Not enough eDiscovery services expertise in senior management--mostly enterprise software backgrounds.

Advice to Management

We shouldn't go to market with an offering until the product/service is completely fleshed out. It doesn't help our clients (or us!) to sell something that's not fully baked yet. Also, streamline internal processes so it's easier to close business--remove barriers to selling.

Manager, Client Services

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Recommind (More than a year)

Pros

Good people and ok benefits

Cons

Terrible management, horrible pay, lacks internal resources. Overworked and underpaid.

Advice to Management

Raise salaries to compete with the market so your turnover isn't so horrible.

Not a fun place to work

I have been working at Recommind full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My group is great. A handful of people that I've worked with so far are excellent - good communicators, detail-oriented, team players, smart. Actually, many people here are smart. And most people are friendly. My manager is flexible with work-from-home hours and treats us as grown-ups. Benefits are decent. Lawsuits and big data will never go away so it's a good industry to be in.

Cons

CEO does not provide strong leadership. He has a temper and reacts poorly to feedback. He listens to the CTO/co-founder way too much instead of the boots on the ground. CTO has too many responsibilities on his plate to do any of them well. Project prioritization and selection is dysfunctional. We are just now sorting out three intertwined initiatives that lacked clarity from the start. It it's very frustrating. Morale is low. We talk big plans and don't put resources behind them, or a schedule, or backing from management. Or, product management will be asked to plan for the next release and upper management will toss half of it out anyway; so why bother. Specs are often not respected as engineering doesn't collaborate enough on them up front and then they do what they think the feature is anyway and/or the scoping is always overly optimistic and/or not enough time is allotted to reach a MVP. A few product managers are excellent enough to rein in the confusion and get clarity and agreement up-front but it's challenging overall. There are exceptions but those prove the rule. We are working to change that but it's a slow turnaround. There are two main development offices that have different cultures and don't always get along. Some people are territorial instead of caring about the products first and foremost. The time zone difference drives a wedge between teams as it is difficult to meet regularly very early West coast time and after hours German time. Whenever there's a new hire, all I can think of is how I feel bad for this person. I would leave but feel bad abandoning my friends.

Advice to Management

Start listening to someone other than the CTO. Just because he's very smart and co-founded a company does not mean he is an effective leader given his numerous roles, nor does it mean that the same technology from the days of the patent are relevant now.

Management Attitude Adjustment Desperately Needed

I have been working at Recommind full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company has some amazingly talented people and exciting software to show for it. If you get excited about eDiscovery technologies you can be very proud of the product we make. Having worked in multiple capacities since joining, it seems that employees have a lot of respect for one another despite management silliness. Healthcare and PTO are good for this industry.

Cons

All of the cons start from the top. Senior management has been a thickly growing layer of industry has-beens and non-industry transplants. The proportion of VPs to employees is a laughing matter amongst the employee base. Sometimes it seems as though we hire expensive executives to all collaborate on creating jargon instead of progress. The results of this leadership approach include the following: - Silos. For months now, we continue hearing from managers that we need to create cross department collaboration. But clearly these individuals have never heard of leading by example. After years of employment here, it is blatant that silos exist because of our managers. Our managers seem to have no interest or incentive to work with one another. There is a lot of passing the buck on responsibility starting from the top. - Goals that don't get completed. The product is truly amazing. But many aspects of each release are not consumer ready and sometimes never achieve that state. This seems to be due to e "fly by the seat of your pants" approach to product planning. It also reflects the fact that all VP leadership in Product Management came to Recommind with no eDiscovery experience. So, important features get de-prioritized for the feature of the month. - There is almost no upward mobility. The company continues to grow from the top down. (Again, please remember that most have no experience in our core industry). The result of this growth translates into no opportunities for professional growth. That is not to say that you will not grow as a professional from experiences. But you should not expect to see many, if any, promotion opportunities at Recommind. When issues start from the top, there is little hope for change. Almost all key decisions seem to come from the CEO's desk. He too has no prior industry experience. There have been other comments on Glassdoor that we have a revolving door culture for Silicon Valley executives. I can only assume this has been based on the actions of the CEO. There have been some interesting hires in management recently that seem to be at the request of the Board. Hopefully that is a sign of much needed change to come.

Advice to Management

Value your employees. There is a truly impressive group of intelligent, hard working and indutry experienced people below the thick blubber of management. Your employees don't expect a fairy tale land where everyone get promotions every day. But, we do expect that our careers should progress and we can offer more to the success of this company if given the chance. Employers sometimes forget that they would be nothing without their staff. Certainly, 15 highly paid executives with no working knowledge of the technology or industry cannot further the success of this company without a strong network of talented employees. There is still time to make this better.

Very dysfunctional place to work

Former Employee - Technical Consultant in Norwood, MA
    Former Employee - Technical Consultant in Norwood, MA

I worked at Recommind full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free water and coffee Some smart and talented peers

Cons

Below average industry compensation. Hiring managers will outright ask recruiters to find the lowest possible wage for new hires. Two coworkers left within a year, despite being asked how much it would take to retain them (the answer was no amount). Bad work-life balance. Unless you're fine with coming back on shift with mountains of untouched work. We were also told "you can't compare between shifts even though you pick up their slack." Very rare performance reviews. Members of my department were asked to submit a self-evaluation in late January to receive performance reviews in February. The reviews did not happen until July. A coworker received his promised bonus nearly two years after. Another coworker had to threaten to leave before receiving a 21% raise (matching an offer he had in hand). The next reviews would happen two calendar years later, when people were only given adjustments commensurate with inflation. Performance reviews are not based on any empirical evidence. During one review, a coworker was told his work was disappointing, and he would only get a bonus because he was promised one nearly two years ago. There was no suggestion on how to improve. Another coworker was given a bonus because he had performed well on a highly visible client project, with the disclaimer "if it was up to me, I wouldn't give this to you." A coworker on performance plan asked for proof that he had been not been performing up to standard, and for ways to improve. He was told "we can't show you the metrics." Middle management runs unchecked. Someone left around 3 PM on a weekday and replied "It's good to be king" when asked if he was leaving for the day. Other times, they would focus on playing a golf putting game, or playing with nerf guns. They take advantage of the lack of HR and institute any departmental rules without the knowledge of upper management. My department stopped reimbursing cell phone expenses, due to one coworker exploiting the system. When upper management was informed of this, they were surprised, but did nothing to reinstate the benefit. You will also be told to stop communicating with coworkers outside of work, and when asked for an HR handbook, you will be told "we don't need a handbook, these are the rules." Bullying and narcissistic middle management. After not getting what he wanted, a department head pulled an indirect subordinate aside and shouted "Your bosses are me, then [the executives]" putting himself first in the chain of command (in reality, he was fourth at the time). Even with the door closed, we could hear this being yelled. Unsupportive HR. For months, after the sole HR employee quit, someone from a completely unrelated department performed HR tasks. Eventually, a generalist was hired, but to mostly focus on benefits. When a coworker sent an email to HR to file a complaint, they could only suggest to take the complaint to the next level (which led to the person filing the complaint to get fired). About the above incident, when he was reported to HR, an executive prepared him on how to speak with HR in his defense, and even read the contents of the supposedly confidential email. Too many managers. For multiple months, my department was three managers and six non-managers. The most people any of these managers had reporting to them was four. Corporate culture encourages doing anything to get the attention of your direct superiors. Anything except doing your job well and honestly. Separate cliques exist, and there are great divides within the company between people who value appearance versus people who value substance of work. Your work and ideas will not get you credit. Going with the point above, anything you create here will freely get plagiarized, oftentimes by people who have no understanding of the source. The most amusing was when a manager replied to a client by copying and pasting a response from engineering which included the phrase "do not let the client know this." When confronted of this, the manager simply blamed engineering stating that the phrasing should not exist, despite it being written on a completely insulated internal communication systems, and tried to deflect the responsibility of blindly copying and pasting. No training. A training manual was being developed for my department for my entire time at the company, but was never completed in over a year. Management openly ignores the low morale. One employee left for a client, and management was surprised that it was even a possibility. Another employee openly edited his resume on his work computer during business hours without locking the computer, so it was visible to all, and later conducted a phone screen directly outside the office on the same floor as the Recommind office, and was overheard by others. Management encourages bullying and displays of rank superiority. Peers on the same level as you will try to gain favor by bullying you. Then they will claim you make them look bad if you happen to do good work. Management looks after its own interests. A coworker had an HR complaint filed against him. His manager just wanted him to fall on his sword and even said "sometimes you just have to take it" and made a slapping motion on his wrist. He proceeded to make this motion twice more trying to convince him to close the issue with HR so they could deflect negative attention from the department. Management had no interest in actually resolving the underlying issue, or investigating the frivolity of the complaint. Bad hires. Eight people after me joined my department. One was a good hire. One quit in a week. One was "laid off" only because they made enough HR complaints to avoid getting fired. Two were fired. Two were mediocre. The final is protected by his boss, just to elevate his status in the organizational chart. Bad employees stick around. With no real one-on-one meetings with managers, and no direction given in performance reviews, employees become complacent quickly instead of developing or improving skill sets. There also is little professional incentive to improve. Employees who are self-motivated will not be nurtured and fostered. Upper management has checked out. In an all hands meeting, the speaker mentioned that he was invited to join the board of directors of a completely different company in an unrelated field. Moments later (in the same all hands meeting), he admonished the company for not bending over backwards for client requests, insisting that we remain focused on our company and its service obligations. No exit strategy. Over two years ago, upper management got greedy and asked for too much when the company was actually valuable. Now no one wants it. HR uses shills to post fake reviews. HR sent out an email survey asking employees how they felt about these GlassDoor reviews, and are obviously aware of these issues. The survey purposefully avoided the real issues and consisted of questions such as "Do you feel your job is important to Recommind reaching their goals." Furthermore, the fake reviews are completely transparent.

Advice to Management

You're an Engineering company. Use logic instead of hand-waving or completely unsupported hypotheses to justify your actions. Look out for the company and not just yourselves. To senior management, watch the middle managers more closely. People at the bottom work hard for you, and you reward them by looking only at the bottom line. At least make it look like you are appreciative of their work. Stop hiring more managers that are only there to be yes-men and contribute more to groupthink.

10. Great people, great product

Pros

The people I work with are smart, hard-working, and really nice. There are a lot of people like that here. The product is awesome (best on the market).

Cons

A lack of cross-department coordination and some processes (or lack of) can slow things down more than they need to. That can be really frustrating. A new head of Field Ops seems to be making a big difference.

Advice to Management

Enable more decision-making in the field.

Good company and successful product offerings but company needs to figure out their exit strategy

Pros

Good team; decent work-life balance; makes good revenue

Cons

Strategy is weak; Founder driven; CEO has outgrown the current growth; Strong presence in Germany not helping

Advice to Management

Empower managers to make decisions; Don't get nit picky when it comes to raises, bonus ( just on paper) and options/RSUs; Focus on the right things instead of everything;

RSS Feed </> Embed