Recommind

www.recommind.com

Recommind Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Bob Tennant

Small company, was not organized and unsure what certain positions were to do.

Customer Support Specialist (Former Employee) Norwood, MA

ProsWork with very interesting companies and people.

ConsNo way to work in other parts of the company.

Resolution Engineer

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPretty relaxed culture.
    Coworkers that you can work cooperatively and bond with.
    Adequate place to build e-discovery and litigation support experience.
    Unintentional hilarity (e.g. my technical manager asking a question about the product's rudimentary functionality and being faced with "Are you seriously asking that question?" from an Engineer in the Rheinbach office).

ConsDepartment was 3 managers for 8 (6 at one point) non-managers.
    Separation in cliques for those who value image versus those who value substance.
    Broken promises concerning reviews, compensation, bonuses, promotions.
    Unhealthy work-life balance unless you willingly let the volume of work overwhelm you.
    Inappropriate prioritization by management (e.g. dress code was more important than 50-55 outstanding client requests)
    Management that ignore bad behavior and work ethic, due to favoritism.
    Management that does little work themselves (playing a putting game, or playing with nerf guns, and saying "it's good to be king")
    Non-technical employees in technical roles (e.g. my technical manager asking a question about the product's rudimentary functionality and being faced with "Are you seriously asking that question?" from an Engineer in the Rheinbach office)
    No official training module (though one was in progress for over a year).
    No metric to account for employee onboarding and continual learning progress.
    Interview process for technical positions was not technical, leading to bad hires.
    Unscrupulous management (hiring someone because the manager needed a physical Amtrak receipt from an applicant to receive reimbursement from the company)

Advice to Senior ManagementSee the cons.

Employees are unhappy!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere is free coffee and tea

ConsEmployees are unhappy, under paid, and unappreciated. Upper management is very disconnected from the employees. The "new and improved" product is not doing well. This company is a sinking ship! Avoid it!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Have potential but needs work

Sales (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsProduct is great and works as advertised. The team overall is great. Benefits are good.

ConsTop heavy management. Hosting is not up to par vs other players in same space. And bonus or commission structure needs to be redone.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop acting like a startup and grow up.

Definitely not a 'best place to work'

Technical Role (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsRecommind has a pleasant office in a convenient location in downtown SF. Sometimes the company provides snacks. Recommind offers a decent vacation/benefits plan. Working from home is common and the company is very flexible about it.

ConsManagement is often remote and frequently out of touch. To cut costs, the company often tries to do too much with too few people, resulting in an extremely stressful work environment. Employees are not always rewarded for their heroics. Training/career development time is non-existent. Downtime is non-existent. Opportunities for career advancement may be few, depending on your department. No 401(K) matching. Minimalist stock option plan. A hyper focus on revenue, often at the expense of quality.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe overwhelming message filtering down from management is about the company's financial goals. While revenue is certainly important, it's not what motivates most non-sales/marketing employees. What motivates most employees is delivering a quality product and providing a high level of service to customers. Having too few people makes this difficult to achieve. It hurts morale and it may ultimately hurt the company financially.

Company is going through severe retention problems. Lots of great talent leaving, but no one cares.

ProsNice colleagues for the most part. Being in SF, salary is on par. Great client base.

ConsWhat does management do? Upper management is who knows who. They all came from the same company and just brought their friends with them. Countless number of managers, VP's and SVP's with no clear roles. Therefore, it's quite noticeable that they don't know what they're doing. Plans change days in days out. They seem to just go back to the plans that fail always. Even management ponders what they do. Company is not a long term plan for most employees. No 401k match and benefits are dismal. They just went through a round of layoffs after getting venture capital. Current software stack is not up to par to what they make it so they've had a tough time selling it to clients.

I would love to be a client, but not an employee.

Currently Employed (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsDoes good coffee count as a pro? I'm really having a difficult time coming up with a Pro. Maybe the comfortable chairs could be a pro?

ConsThere is NO communication within this company between management and non-managements employees. We do not have an official Trainer, you learn as you go. There is no Human Resource department on site. I just had my first review after working here 3 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe Management team manages projects, cases, problems that may arise with those cases. They do NOT manage people. If the employees were properly managed and trained, they would have fewer client complaints and a smoother workflow for all parties considered. The management team could use some training on people skills and communicating with their teams.

Promotions should be listed internally for all employees to apply for, if they have the desire to do so. A promotion should never just be given to someone without the opportunity given to all. This leaves a large window of opportunity for a possible discrimination lawsuit. If nothing else, favoritism is highly evident when choosing to follow this method of management.

This really looked like a good company to work for on the outside. My one piece of advice to this company would be..Invest in your employees first. Training, evaluations, promotions, benefits and more.

Hosting Engineer

Hosting Guy (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsCasual place; Good coffee; Nice views

ConsNo recognitions; Rude management; Internal politics

Advice to Senior ManagementBe nice

Great working environment, company direction lacking

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat working environment, great coworkers and people, benefits, vacation is great, offices in UK, Germany, Australia.

Consnon-existent career path, remote management, not enough appreciation for employees, silo's. management's lack of insight to the managed

Advice to Senior ManagementShow more appreciation for employees, more communication

Horrible company. So-so product. All downhill from here.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsNice view of San Francisco from the office building.

ConsToo many to mention. They let good people go. Politics and favoritism goes a long way there. Talent doesn't!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of all upper and senior management. CEO needs to go. Company needs a new CEO and more importantly, company needs a COO to get everyone in line and provide direction.

Worked for Recommind? Contribute to the Community!