Record-Journal

Updated May 27, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Eliot C White

It was challenging, exciting, and different ever day.

News Reporter (Former Employee) Meriden, CT

ProsDoing something new every day was challenging. Coming up with my own story ideas and following through was satisfying.

ConsI was hired as a temporary reporter, so when the funding ended, so did my job.

I had a great experience with the Journal Record.

Photographer (Former Employee) Oklahoma City, OK

Prosthe Editor-in-Chief is great, there is great camaraderie amongst employees

Consno cons that I can think of

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat job!

RJ a good place to work, but pitfalls like any other newspaper

Reporter (Current Employee) Meriden, CT

ProsIt's a community newspaper where you will most definitely have an opportunity to learn the trade and become a better writer/reporter.

ConsToo often, reporters are asked to turn out two stories a day, and it means that reporters will not be able to spend time working on more in-depth stories and making them better. The problem with this is while reporters do turn out enough copy to make the daily news operation continue to run, we're putting out more insignificant stories and not taking the necessary time to do more in-depth reporting. This isn't something that's specific at the Record-Journal now, but moreso the entire news industry as a whole. The RJ does allow for in-depth pieces to be written occasionally, but the daily news grind is really what takes precedence most often.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow reporters more time to work on larger, more in-depth pieces.

Worked for Record-Journal? Contribute to the Community!