Red Bay Reviews

Updated October 15, 2014
Updated October 15, 2014
3.6

Rebecca Blatz

Great experience for an entry level position

Current Employee - Account Manager in Oak Brook, IL
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Oak Brook, IL

I have been working at Red Bay full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Red Bay offers great opportunities for any entry level candidates or anyone looking for a career change. They provided full training (paid) in various areas of their business such as sales, direct marketing, consulting, human resources, interviewing, training and self management. I enjoy the challenge of learning new experiences and branches of the company.

The company environment is very welcoming and fosters an extremely positive atmosphere. They do a lot of fun office events around Oak Brook. I was new to the Chicago area and it helped me to get to know the area a lot better! The staff is very helpful and seemed to care about my success and was eneregetic and friendly since I met them for my first interview.

I enjoy that advancement is performance based and not seniority based.

Cons

Training is very hands on and in depth, I saw someone fall off because they did not want to listen or put in the work. It made me step outside of my comfort zone, but I feel much more confident as a person because of it and feel I have learned a lot of transferable skills.

I am not a morning person so getting to the office by 8:00 can be a struggle for me, but I enjoy leaving the office and being home by 6:00.

Encouraging Working Environment

I have been working at Red Bay full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The staff! At Red Bay everyone wants everyone to be successful and they are always willing to put you in the right places and with the right people in order for that to happen. The ability to advance here is never ending there is no ceiling with this business which is what truly sold me.

Also, the team environment is really what made me enjoy coming to work every day. Coming from a sports background the environment was perfect for my taste. I enjoy the patience of the more experienced people in the office because I had no prior sales experience everyone was very supportive in helping me become successful in the beginning.

Cons

I am glad the we are not micromanaged, but getting the discipline to be a self starter right out the door was hard.

Fast paced environment with amazing growth potential

I worked at Red Bay

Pros

This is a great company to work for being a a hard working guy laid off from a former employer this was an environment where I could grow at my own pace based on my own performance. They train on all aspects of their company internally and only promote from within.

Cons

It was a very challenging atmosphere which is great for competitive culture and nature.

Leadership and Travel Opportunity

Current Employee - Team Lead in Oakbrook Terrace, IL
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I have been working at Red Bay full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Leadership training that has helped me grow both personally and professionally. Provide a ton of travel opportunities! I have been to California, Texas, Florida, Arizona, among other locations to learn from the top executives about time management, financials, relationship building, leadership, development, recruiting, training, and entrepreneurship.

Cons

I have seen turn over because some people want the clock in, clock out positions. This is different because it provides more freedom and less micromanagement!

Challenge constantly, if you're not learning, you're not growing!

Not a marketing job, all SALES

Former Employee - Account Specialist in Oak Brook, IL
    Former Employee - Account Specialist in Oak Brook, IL

I worked at Red Bay full-time

Pros

To give the company some credit, it does have a fantastic culture. Everyone is super nice and generous. At the beginning of every work day, we would all meet in the conference room to play games and get to know one another. At the end of the day, we met again and congratulated those who did well in sales.

There is a good work/life balance.

Cons

This job is 100% sales. There are only a few jobs at this company that are not sales.

They give you a couple DAYS of training following around one of their top salesmen. Obviously, they are the top salesmen for a reason. You get to see a few sales made and you think you can do it. Then they give you a territory and you're off on your own.

When I was working there, they were selling for Quill. This is what my day looked like: met at the office at 8 am to play games and talk. Leave at 8:30-9 and drive to your territory. Your territory could be anywhere from 5 minutes away to over an hour. They do NOT compensate you on gas. You spend however long you can (you have to be back at the office by 4:30 or something) trying to sell people paper and printers and other office supplies that they don't want shoved in their faces at their place of employment. People are mean to you. Many people who have been at the company only make a few sales a week. This can be anything that quill sells - they could sell a couple hundred dollar printer or they could sell some $5 coffee. You make a small percentage commission and the rest goes to your office director and Quill.

The worst part: they advertise this as marketing positions and tell you on day one how in so much time you'll be making $x amount and running your own office but the TRUTH is - that is just not the case. There are NOT marketing jobs (unless you consider selling paper as doing marketing for Quill but I don't since the job is almost 100% commission based, no matter what they say or how they respond to this posting if they do) and the company's turn over rate is EXTREMELY high.

There are people out there who want sales jobs. Maybe if you advertised yourself as a sales-based company and posted jobs asking for salesmen, you'd have a lower turn over rate and would make less people angry.

Sep 4, 2014President

Thank you for your feedback. We thrive to create an atmosphere that is fun yet professional work environment, allows employee growth and opportunity, and provide a strong work/life balance with ... More

waste of my time

Former Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Red Bay full-time (less than an year)

Pros

positive environment in atmosphere

Cons

use your own vehicle
    unpaid 2nd round interview for over 4 hours
    D2D
    i didnt get my degree to do D2D sales what a joke they told me I would be an account manager, not going around doing D2D.....

offer a real position with a real opportunity for people who earned a degree and want a career.

Jul 29, 2014President

We appreciate that you took the time to add a response about our company. This position does involve direct consultation to business customers. We generate more revenue than their inside sales team ... More

Entrepreneurship role/you determine your own success

Current Employee - Assistant Director
    Current Employee - Assistant Director

I have been working at Red Bay full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working at Red Bay simply provides an opportunity for financial freedom for those who are self motivated and willing to put in an honest days work. There is paid, hands on training with an experienced leader. Account managers/executives are not micromanaged throughout the day where they learn time management. At Red Bay there is an unlimited earning potential with fast paced advancement with equal opportunity. Promotions are solely from within, no seniority. That being said this business teaches the basics of how to run a business from the ground up showing others that its a people helping people business. Employees are working towards a common goal-entrepreneurship. The work environment is extremely friendly and professional.

Cons

I had to develop tough skin and I had no previous experience with sales & marketing.

Fast Growing Company With Unlimited Potential

Current Employee - Account Specialist in Oak Brook, IL

I have been working at Red Bay full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Red Bay has expanded to multiple locations in various states within the past few years and is already planning to explore new markets in the future. There is plenty of room for personal growth within the company and management truly wants to see you succeed. Everyone is friendly and the team environment is great. If you are a hard worker you will be rewarded and move up quickly in the company.

Cons

Red Bay only promotes from within so if you plan on slacking it will take a lot longer for promotions to come your way.

Keep working with entry-level employees because it is helpful and encouraging!

Unsurpassed Training and Leadership Skills

Former Employee - Account Executive in Oakbrook Terrace, IL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I worked at Red Bay full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I'm a fresh college graduate, and applied to many jobs to gain some experience. I wasn't really sure what the working world demanded but knew that I needed to start at the entry level. When I accepted this position, I lacked any sales, marketing, training skills. Since that time, I have gained invaluable knowledge of how to develop and coach others and really be acknowledged for my own hard work and efforts. I feel I have grown from a inexperienced individual to being a young educated professional with the utmost confidence ready to take on the world! The team environment is very competitive and they really want to see everyone succeed. Unfortunately due to relocation of my husbands company, I had to part ways with the company. I would strongly encourage anyone looking for advancement opportunities or extensive training to apply!

Cons

Mentally you have to prepare yourself for ups and downs. Customer rejection can be difficult to swallow so I feel it has helped me to develop tough skin and overcome that obstacle.

Challenges everyday! Personally I am always motivated by challenges and hate to lose! I love when the management team would throw out new challenges or new goals, it made me work that much harder to achieve them!

Worst company ever

Former Employee - Account Executive in Oak Brook, IL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Oak Brook, IL

I worked at Red Bay full-time (more than an year)

Pros

friendly people and comfortable environment.

Cons

I do not recommend this company for employment to anyone 100% commission. Cold calling sales all day not reimbursed for gas at all. They will bring you in to follow one of the leaders all day insuring you that anyone can do what they are doing. And insure you will be making plenty of money and moving through the "leadership" quickly. All of which is false they just want to bring you in the door. They will make the job seem more better and special then it really is by using words like your going to be a "account manager" and "executive manager". Do not be deceived trust me this is one of those jobs that is to good to be true. They also target May graduates so just be mindful. Just want to give you the facts something they wont tell you the decision is yours.

Be more honest you know this job isn't for everyone.

Feb 10, 2014President

We appreciate the feedback and we apologize that you did not have a wonderful experience at our company. We understand this position is not for everyone. For that reason, we conduct the interviews ... More

Red Bay Photos