Red Bay

Updated January 24, 2015
Updated January 24, 2015
3.6

Rebecca Blatz

I absolutely Love this Company!

Current Employee - Account Specialist in Oakbrook Terrace, IL
    Current Employee - Account Specialist in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I have been working at Red Bay full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Red Bay brings the excitement of a startup with the smarts of a well established company. They are committed to running an open and honest company that stands behind what they say.

Lots of opportunity for advancement and the sky is the limit to what you can do within the company.

Cons

At this point I haven't found anything I don't like about the company. Everything is moving very quickly due to the market we are in but I consider that a benefit not a con.

Keep doing what you're doing!

Hands on Training is the Best!

Current Employee - Account Executive in Oakbrook Ter, IL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Oakbrook Ter, IL

I have been working at Red Bay full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Getting a ton of training and experience here. I really had no professional experience before starting work here. Only worked in restaurants waiting tables in college and did some retail in between, nothing I would call a career. It's nice to see how some of the things I learned in college translate to the "real world". I personally learn best from hands on experiences and my coaches and mentors allow me to dive in from Day 1. Very social office environment, most of my coworkers are energetic and always very helpful when ask for any advice.

Cons

The initial training is very fast paced and heavily front loaded, I was a little overwhelmed at the beginning, took me a couple weeks to find my stride.

A Refreshing Change!

Former Employee - Account Specialist in Oak Brook, IL

I worked at Red Bay full-time (more than a year)

Pros

When I started my application process to find a new career, the main quality that I was looking for was atmosphere. I stressed the importance of this during the interview process. I wanted a company that was geared more towards this decade rather than an "old school", "office space" type of position. I actually come to work and it's fun, here! I am close to my coworkers AND superiors. The energy it incredible. Also, important to me is relationships. I get a good balance of that with co-workers, customers, and personal. I'm very happy that I found Red Bay!

Cons

I can't think of anything really negative. On days I don't feel too energized, my co workers don't want to be brought down, so they make their energy contagious. I guess that could be a good thing though.

I love the open door policy. The fact that you are working right there with us makes having to work more motivating.

Great Office Culture and Quick Personal Growth

I have been working at Red Bay full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-Clear career path with great opportunities
    -Fast growth with the mentor-student coaching style
    -Passionate and ambitious coworkers and fun corporate culture
    -Proven system to help individuals to grow professionally and personally
    -Supportive team
    -Entrepreneurship education
    -High earning potential

Cons

-Commute can be long sometimes
    -You get what you put into it, some people don't want to work hard

Nothing but praise to management! From HR to the CEO, everyone was helpful and informative from the time I interviewed to the time I was hired.

very misleading company

Former Employee - Account Executive in Oak Brook, IL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Oak Brook, IL

I worked at Red Bay

Pros

Very nice coworkers, fun environment, and a lot of motivation. Can't wait to file all the miles I drove for this company on my tax return.

Cons

Very misleading. My first impression was that I would be handling accounts (executive/account management) for clients in territories. Did not know I would be going door to door and selling products out of a magazine and finding my own accounts. Was told that if you were a hard worker, you would exceed in the company. However, I saw many employees in the company work there butt off and do well one week. Then have a terrible week. I was definitely given the impression that if you put in time at the company, you will excel. However, no matter how much mentoring I did do, it did not improve my skill as a salesman. If you do not do well, you are given the option to either go on a road trip or be terminated.
         Out of town trips consisted of going to locations that have not seen a salesman in 6 months. The out of town trips consist of you paying for gas and food. They do provide you a motel room, but if you are in a group of three, one of you is either sleeping next to a coworker or on the ground. The trips were to say the least, unprofessional.
        During my short time at this company, I saw more than 6 individuals quit/fired. The company revolves greatly on whether or not you can give people the impulse to buy right on the spot. I have read the other reviews and every time I read them, reviewers say that it is completely comission base. Which is somewhat true. If you meet a quote which is very difficult to meet, then you can make a very low "base pay" + commission. Basically, you will only get paid with commission, so if your not selling, be prepared to eat up your savings.
         Gas was a huge expense when it came to this job. Most workers would drive to territories at least an hour away. You could be putting 80-100 miles a day on your car just doing sales. Not even including getting to the office in the morning and going back to the office at the end of the day so you can cheer those who got sales and then have pep talks with team managers.
         Overall experience was terrible. Did not think that I would have had such a bad experience because I was less to believe that the company did ny have a high turnover. Only until I saw coworkers coming and going did I see how easy the company will hire you and the. Before you know it, spit you right back out. Unfortunately I was too gullible and fresh out of college with high hopes of success at this company.

Be upfront about
    - door to door
    - spending you money on gas
    - high turn over
    - road trips (specially about how you will literally sleep in a bed with a coworker or on the floor)
             before you take any one out on a second round interview.

Stay away !!! Job is a joke!!! 100% commision outside business to business sales job.

I worked at Red Bay (less than a year)

Pros

The manager is nice thats about it.

Cons

Don't look at all the 5 star reviews. They are all made by the company's HR department. The 1 star reviews are the reality of the company.

If you like to work for free and drive around in your own car not getting reimbursed for gas, selling office supplies this is the job for you. This company will hire anyone that wants to work for free. They have 10 interviews per day. They hire new people daily and people quit daily. They will sell you a dream that one day you will own your office. They want everyone to work as long as possible and get you hyped up with the dream. They will tell you things that this person is promoted and that person is promoted so you will stay even longer. Don't get fooled and get a real job.

Great experience for an entry level position

Current Employee - Account Manager in Oak Brook, IL
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Oak Brook, IL

I have been working at Red Bay full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Red Bay offers great opportunities for any entry level candidates or anyone looking for a career change. They provided full training (paid) in various areas of their business such as sales, direct marketing, consulting, human resources, interviewing, training and self management. I enjoy the challenge of learning new experiences and branches of the company.

The company environment is very welcoming and fosters an extremely positive atmosphere. They do a lot of fun office events around Oak Brook. I was new to the Chicago area and it helped me to get to know the area a lot better! The staff is very helpful and seemed to care about my success and was eneregetic and friendly since I met them for my first interview.

I enjoy that advancement is performance based and not seniority based.

Cons

Training is very hands on and in depth, I saw someone fall off because they did not want to listen or put in the work. It made me step outside of my comfort zone, but I feel much more confident as a person because of it and feel I have learned a lot of transferable skills.

I am not a morning person so getting to the office by 8:00 can be a struggle for me, but I enjoy leaving the office and being home by 6:00.

A complete joke. Don't even waste your time

Current Employee - Sales in Oakbrook Terrace, IL
    Current Employee - Sales in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I have been working at Red Bay full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Everyone in the office was really nice.

Cons

If you are looking for a door to door sales position and want to make barely any money, then this would be the perfect place for you....

1. The position said it was Marketing, but it's entirely sales.
    2. You are selling office supplies and have to go into businesses and try to sell them anything from a pack of pencils to a file cabinet.
    3. Be prepared to be yelled at by people, embarrassed and kicked out of businesses.
    4. You are given a territory that could be an hour away and you are not reimbursed for the gas you use throughout the day (which is a lot.)

Overall, it's a complete joke and a total waste of time.

If the position is sales then advertise it as that! Don't mislead people that went to school and got a degree to be your door to door salesman. It shows disloyalty right off the bat.

Ultimately, management must be out of their minds if they think they are running an effective business. They are interviewing 5-7 people a day because their turnover rate is so high!! If you can't keep 95% of your employees for longer than a month, then obviously you need to reevaluate your business model.

Red Bay Response

Nov 17, 2014President

Thank you for taking the time to respond to our page. We apologize that you didn't have an opportunity to gain more experiences or grow into other roles in our company. The position is definitely ... More

Fast paced environment with amazing growth potential

I worked at Red Bay

Pros

This is a great company to work for being a a hard working guy laid off from a former employer this was an environment where I could grow at my own pace based on my own performance. They train on all aspects of their company internally and only promote from within.

Cons

It was a very challenging atmosphere which is great for competitive culture and nature.

Not a marketing job, all SALES

I worked at Red Bay full-time

Pros

To give the company some credit, it does have a fantastic culture. Everyone is super nice and generous. At the beginning of every work day, we would all meet in the conference room to play games and get to know one another. At the end of the day, we met again and congratulated those who did well in sales.

There is a good work/life balance.

Cons

This job is 100% sales. There are only a few jobs at this company that are not sales.

They give you a couple DAYS of training following around one of their top salesmen. Obviously, they are the top salesmen for a reason. You get to see a few sales made and you think you can do it. Then they give you a territory and you're off on your own.

When I was working there, they were selling for Quill. This is what my day looked like: met at the office at 8 am to play games and talk. Leave at 8:30-9 and drive to your territory. Your territory could be anywhere from 5 minutes away to over an hour. They do NOT compensate you on gas. You spend however long you can (you have to be back at the office by 4:30 or something) trying to sell people paper and printers and other office supplies that they don't want shoved in their faces at their place of employment. People are mean to you. Many people who have been at the company only make a few sales a week. This can be anything that quill sells - they could sell a couple hundred dollar printer or they could sell some $5 coffee. You make a small percentage commission and the rest goes to your office director and Quill.

The worst part: they advertise this as marketing positions and tell you on day one how in so much time you'll be making $x amount and running your own office but the TRUTH is - that is just not the case. There are NOT marketing jobs (unless you consider selling paper as doing marketing for Quill but I don't since the job is almost 100% commission based, no matter what they say or how they respond to this posting if they do) and the company's turn over rate is EXTREMELY high.

There are people out there who want sales jobs. Maybe if you advertised yourself as a sales-based company and posted jobs asking for salesmen, you'd have a lower turn over rate and would make less people angry.

Red Bay Response

Sep 4, 2014President

Thank you for your feedback. We thrive to create an atmosphere that is fun yet professional work environment, allows employee growth and opportunity, and provide a strong work/life balance with ... More

Red Bay Photos