Red Bee Media

Updated January 23, 2015
Updated January 23, 2015
3.1

Patrick Tillieux

Drives you sort of mental, but there's free coffee

Former Employee - Subtitler
    Former Employee - Subtitler

I worked at Red Bee Media full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- The staff are a wonderful collection of varied human beings, each of whom will impress you in some way or another, mostly because everyone has a conspicuous level of education behind them. They are cool cats.
     - The management have your back when it matters most. I've never been treated with more respect than at RBM. Sure, they won't drop everything to accommodate every leave request, but they're there when you need them and good at what they do.
     - You can legit spend your breaks watching Game of Thrones in a small booth by yourself, where nobody can see what you're doing, if you feel like it.
     - The amount of your life you will waste on watching Deal or No Deal will ensure that you find a way to escape television subtitling, whether or not that seems like something you'd want at the start.
     - If you're a subtitler, you'll work in an enclosed space by yourself, with a computer, a TV, and headphones. This means chair-dancing while you work.
     - There are no blocked websites, because research necessitates access to all sorts of content. This means you are free to peruse your favoured social media, news outlets, and forums at leisure. Everyone in there is doing this at least 70% of the time, so don't worry about it.

Cons

- Absolute, complete, far and away, seriously the actual worst capacity for tech I have ever seen.
     - Seriously, the internet didn't work half the time.
     - You will have to watch hours and hours of Deal or No Deal in slow motion.
     - Norwich has its own BBC news slots, and my oh my, you'll have to subtitle them. I can't explain why that's a con without getting into technical details, but trust me, it's bad.
     - There are various promotion opportunities, but they all lead to jobs that look horrendous.
     - It's difficult to go into the kitchen without encountering people who seem to possess a pathological hatred for the company and everything it does, but if you just remember that their hate is the product of years and years of Deal or No Deal, you'll be fine.

Keep it up.

Interesting place to work

I worked at Red Bee Media

Pros

Great people
    No jumping through hoops and internal processes to make change happen
    Fairly relaxed
    Clean, modeern office
    Fun
    No micro management
    Trust

Cons

Considering the out of town location there's a lack of flexible working.
    Small company makes career progression difficult.

If you're looking for new opportunities, look elsewhere!!!!!

I worked at Red Bee Media

Pros

in general the people there are friendly which is only positive thing about this place

Cons

For a company its size and as established as they are, they are shockingly lacking processes in a vast amount of areas even when basic. Any processes they do have are ancient and just an annoyance. You may be wondering what I mean but there's way too much to mention. Basically just think about anything that may require a process, Red Bee will more than likely be lacking as advice for it and if they do then it will probably be months before anything is actioned

Take time to recognise who is actually contributing to Red Bee instead of eating up the BS the slackers are feeding you just because you favour them.
    Hopefully with Ericsson stepping in they'll sooner rather than later realise how much you need to fix up and implement the things you are lacking

It's fine

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ealing, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ealing, England (UK)

I have been working at Red Bee Media full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Decent salary (could always use more, though.)
    Good leave allowance, if you can get it approved.
    Some room to move up..

Cons

Some people who are very horrible. There is a specific phrase I'd like to use, but can't.
    Let's just say, if someone holds a door open for you, say thank you. At least grunt. Don't just waltz through like you were born to have doors held open for you, I don't care how good looking you obviously think you are.
    Also, there are a bunch of cliques. That doesn't mean that's a bad thing, they're just groups of friends. But that's not my kind of thing. I have enough friends.

Very badly managed company.

I have been working at Red Bee Media

Pros

The staff (as opposed to Exec team) are far and away the best bunch of committed, highly- skilled and professional people you could ever hope to work with. Sadly, our Senior 'managers' do not appear to agree.

Cons

Senior Management are out-of-touch, invisible and unsupportive. They need to get 'back to the floor' and engage in a meaningful way rather than display the meaningless gesture management-style which doesn't fool anyone.

It is very, very hard to get annual Leave, the rotas are badly administered with dreadful and exhausting turnarounds. Staff feel they have no control over their lives and work/life balance might as well not exist. I could go on BUT by far and away the worst thing about this company is the way they invite staff to apply for jobs which are 2 or 3 grades higher. Staff apply, go through intense interviews and selection processes, and then, when they get the job they are not paid any more. At Red Bee Media you can be promoted and then find you are earning less than you were before. Management's response is that these promotions are 'career development'. Simply put, it is exploitation. Staff are afraid to complain because of the fear of a black mark against their name. I sincerely hope Ericsson have the morals and ethics to break this awful cycle.

Your management style needs to improve drastically. You need to stop exploiting your staff, seriously. if you promote staff you need to pay them the rate for the job. Would you accept a promotion if you were then going to earn less?

Good

I have been working at Red Bee Media full-time

Pros

Good working conditions and flexible.

Cons

Feel like not always valued correctly.

Business Analyst placement

Current Employee - Business Analyst in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Red Bee Media as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Nice people that want to get things done
    Good working environment
    Supporting team

Cons

Sometimes hard to get data/information

Hard work, but due to great people i can be fun.

Former Employee - IT Analyst/Engineer in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - IT Analyst/Engineer in London, England (UK)

I worked at Red Bee Media full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people. Nice place to work and money is ok. Extremely interesting work and plenty of opportunities to learn. There is also fairly good career progression should you want it.

Cons

Lack of training. The company seems to move too fast for the number of staff and IT projects seem to get implemented incorrectly or unfinished. Management are too keen to allow some staff to work long hours rather than employing the correct numbers.

Company in need of change

Current Employee - Service Delivery Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Service Delivery Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Red Bee Media full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Ericsson have just purchased the company which will hopefully lead to a desperately needed funding increase. There are opportunities to work across some very high profile clients and services. Within the TV media industry Red Bee has one of the best range of clients.

Cons

Training is very limited and management structure is very unclear and constantly changing. Job roles also not always very well defined. There is a culture of penny pinching which is sapping morale. People having 'Junior' added to their job title although the responsibilities are the same as normal or senior roles. Also, the job spec of roles are regularly changed and edited.

Poor management and poor opportunities.

Current Employee - Subtitler in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Subtitler in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Red Bee Media full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible working hours and great people.

Cons

Don't pay well, too many new ideas implemented without enough thought.

Pay your employees better for better results.

Red Bee Media Photos