Red Bricks Media

Red Bricks Media CEO Kirstin Falk
Kirstin Falk

Search Strategist

I worked at Red Bricks Media full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun team and office environment. RBM provides people with a great opportunity to learn a diverse range of performance marketing platforms. The company is scrappy, which is both a blessing and curse.

Cons

Limited opportunity for career advancement, which led to most of the top talent departing for greener pastures (Google, Facebook, Twitter, etc).

Nurture and develop top talent, and invest in your employees. If you are unwilling to spend to keep talent, they will leave. Near the end of my time at RBM, I heard a co-founder say to the entire company that good people leaving was not a big deal, and that he could hire better people for less. That's simply incorrect.

Well, they're out of business now.

Former Employee - Strategist in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Strategist in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Red Bricks Media full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked with some very smart people that have all gone on to do amazing things, and there are a few that I'll work with again in a heartbeat.

Cons

Execution and leadership, especially the founder was a mess.

Fun and Motivated

I have been working at Red Bricks Media full-time

Pros

Amazing people, flexible and intelligent leadership, transparent and honest with employees. This is a place that truly wants to grow good people and help them with their careers as they serve clients and solve problems. Great culture with unlimited time off, minimal time tracking, and results oriented workplace (ie: No rules about when you have to be at your desk as long as you do your part!)
    Career opportunities are huge here. If there's something you want to make happen, you'll be given the freedom and support to see that through.

Cons

Small company cons: Low pay compared to bigger places; can be stressful as a result of being in a constantly changing landscape/market

Negotiate a buy-out and do a re-brand to escape your reputation hangover with disgruntled former employees and a few less than ideal past clients.

The biggest learning experience I've ever been given.

I have been working at Red Bricks Media full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I've had the opportunity to discover many different roles and learn about multiple digital marketing channels.
    There is a lot of transparency about the success of the company and how everyone can be involved.

Cons

Salary might be a little lower than elsewhere, but titles are still awarded when deserved.

Real opportunity to be an "agency builder"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Red Bricks Media full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Steep learning curve: great for people early in their career seeking learning and direction
    -Opportunity to learn about all aspects of marketing you set your mind to including account management/ project management, SEO, Social Media, Paid Media, web development
    -Friendly casual environment: many long-lasting friendships are made here.

Cons

- Senior mentorship can be lacking (which creates both opportunities and challenges for junior employees)
    - Lacks culture of excellence

Whatever You Want To Make Of It

I have been working at Red Bricks Media full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I work with intelligent, un-pretentious, interesting and collectively positive people every day. This is a workplace imperative for a company that seeks to find its niche on the forefront of a changing industry. The environment makes it hard to find and perfect a niche and nail it down; just when you've figured it out, suddenly what you offer has been commoditized and something newer and cooler is there to be learned. This agency adapts and evolves all the time, which is what makes it a great place to work, *IF* you're the kind of person who digs that. A lot of people think they like challenge, but at the end of the day, they don't. They prefer stability. RBM will probably frustrate them if that's the case.

RBM is a great environment for people who like the learning opportunities that come with constant change; the sky is the limit if you're interested in looking for potential and have the drive to build toward it.

Sr. Management is remarkably human. It's refreshing and fundamental to the ongoing security of the company. Everyone is encouraged, if not begged, to question the status quo. The president deliberately builds personal relationships with everyone in the company.

My manager takes great efforts to understand me and assign me work that will maximize my strengths, make use of my interests, and stimulate and excite me so that I'll be most productive. It is not often that an employer so thoroughly recognizes the "you get what you give" component of the relationship. It thinks outside the box about how to make this the richest experience possible for employees, within reason of its resources as a small company. Can RBM compete with Y&R salaries? What do you think. Can it compete with salaries from most of the 30-person shops in SOMA? As far as my peer group manifests, absolutely.

RBM is a fabulous place for people looking to launch their careers in creative, self-defined ways, while learning how to self-manage in an environment that exposes every error and every win for honest assessment. The more freedom we have at work, the more responsibility we have to do it well. RBM has allowed me extraordinary freedom and responsibility at a stage in my career when larger or lesser organizations wouldn't have taken the risk.

This company is run by smart, brave people; it is staffed (for the most part), by people who are excited to be going on that ride.

Cons

SOMA gets a little tiring. There isn't always a lot of spare cash sitting around for big bonuses and expensive conferences (although every employee does get a self-discretionary training budget).

Hire some more dudes.

Great place to learn a wide variety of marketing skills & launch your career

Current Employee - Marketing Strategist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Strategist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Red Bricks Media full-time (more than an year)

Pros

RBM is a very young company, which makes it a great place to learn new skills, meet life-long mentors, and make friends. In my experience it has been a very nurturing environment where it's okay to make mistakes, ask a lot of questions, and take on a lot of responsibility. Because the company is so small, you have the opportunity to do things you'd never get to do at bigger companies, like become client-facing and start making real strategy decisions while you're still "entry" level.

Cons

The company has undergone many drastic changes over the past few years. If you prefer a steady, stable work environment, you'll be uncomfortable here. While I've had a good experience here, I know many of my coworkers have not, for one reason or another. The turnover rate is pretty high.

Ideal environment for proactive & passionate go-getters who are enticed by great autonomy and increased responsibilities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Red Bricks Media full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The greatest pro is the growth opportunities within this organization. People are rewarded for their contribution with exciting new roles and projects. You have the ability to design your career here. The people are also one of the most amazing sets of individuals I've ever had the chance to work alongside with.

Cons

RBM is a smaller agency and very fast-paced. If you're looking for a 9-5, this isn't it.

My advice to the executive team is to continue to voice the organization's objectives. They have been making strides in doing so and continuing the momentum will be beneficial for all.

Fun environment, great for self starters.

I have been working at Red Bricks Media (more than an year)

Pros

If you are a self-starter and need little supervision, this is a great place to work. The people are young and eager and you can get involved in anything you are interested in. You really get to set the tone of your career.

Cons

Cap on salary advancements. Senior management lacks leadership. Inconsistent morale and little process.

What a disappointment

I have been working at Red Bricks Media full-time

Pros

Can't think of any, but if I have to come up with some, the office is in the city (close to civic). Some people do work hard and try to get things done. You get 15% off from the pizza shop downstairs.

Cons

RBM is the worst place I've worked in my life. The senior management is incompetent and selfish. A third of the people on their leadership page are not even there anymore. RBM portrays itself as marketing technologist but there is no marketing expert nor technology leader. They don't know what they are doing. Their benefits are horrible - low salary, long working hours, no 401k match, high-cost medical&dental coverage w/60day waiting period. Their financial situation is questionable after multiple project failure. Don't work there.

Stop padding your company portfolio. Pay market rate for qualified people before it's too late.