Red Bricks Media

Kirstin Falk

14 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Fun and Motivated

San Francisco, CA

ProsAmazing people, flexible and intelligent leadership, transparent and honest with employees. This is a place that truly wants to grow good people and help them with their careers as they serve clients and solve problems. Great culture with unlimited time off, minimal time tracking, and results oriented workplace (ie: No rules about when you have to be at your desk as long as you do your part!)
    Career opportunities are huge here. If there's something you want to make happen, you'll be given the freedom and support to see that through.

ConsSmall company cons: Low pay compared to bigger places; can be stressful as a result of being in a constantly changing landscape/market

Advice to Senior ManagementNegotiate a buy-out and do a re-brand to escape your reputation hangover with disgruntled former employees and a few less than ideal past clients.

Real opportunity to be an "agency builder"

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

Pros-Steep learning curve: great for people early in their career seeking learning and direction
    -Opportunity to learn about all aspects of marketing you set your mind to including account management/ project management, SEO, Social Media, Paid Media, web development
    -Friendly casual environment: many long-lasting friendships are made here.

Cons- Senior mentorship can be lacking (which creates both opportunities and challenges for junior employees)
    - Lacks culture of excellence

Great place to learn a wide variety of marketing skills & launch your career

Marketing Strategist (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsRBM is a very young company, which makes it a great place to learn new skills, meet life-long mentors, and make friends. In my experience it has been a very nurturing environment where it's okay to make mistakes, ask a lot of questions, and take on a lot of responsibility. Because the company is so small, you have the opportunity to do things you'd never get to do at bigger companies, like become client-facing and start making real strategy decisions while you're still "entry" level.

ConsThe company has undergone many drastic changes over the past few years. If you prefer a steady, stable work environment, you'll be uncomfortable here. While I've had a good experience here, I know many of my coworkers have not, for one reason or another. The turnover rate is pretty high.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ideal environment for proactive & passionate go-getters who are enticed by great autonomy and increased responsibilities

San Francisco, CA

ProsThe greatest pro is the growth opportunities within this organization. People are rewarded for their contribution with exciting new roles and projects. You have the ability to design your career here. The people are also one of the most amazing sets of individuals I've ever had the chance to work alongside with.

ConsRBM is a smaller agency and very fast-paced. If you're looking for a 9-5, this isn't it.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to the executive team is to continue to voice the organization's objectives. They have been making strides in doing so and continuing the momentum will be beneficial for all.

What a disappointment

San Francisco, CA

ProsCan't think of any, but if I have to come up with some, the office is in the city (close to civic). Some people do work hard and try to get things done. You get 15% off from the pizza shop downstairs.

ConsRBM is the worst place I've worked in my life. The senior management is incompetent and selfish. A third of the people on their leadership page are not even there anymore. RBM portrays itself as marketing technologist but there is no marketing expert nor technology leader. They don't know what they are doing. Their benefits are horrible - low salary, long working hours, no 401k match, high-cost medical&dental coverage w/60day waiting period. Their financial situation is questionable after multiple project failure. Don't work there.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop padding your company portfolio. Pay market rate for qualified people before it's too late.

Top heavy for management, underpaid employees with huge turnover - no incentive to stay on

Associate (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsFun non-corporate culture, no dress code, easy Fridays.

ConsInexperienced and lazy management that only turned up for parties and fun events- when times were lean imposed a company wide salary cut on ALL employees...except for themselves (confirmed by the accounting staff) - when the senior folks were probably the ones to take the hit and blame for client turnover. Also misrepresentation of clients....current *clients* were often no longer paying the firm for work that had been done years before. That will bite you in the rear for sure and hurt growth. Hard to trust management with moves like that.

Not a great place to pursue a career

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsLong, but flexible work hour
    Smart, friendly co-workers
    Free booze Friday
    Free pizza every Thursday

Conslong hour
    low pay
    subjective employee performance evaluation system
    extremely high employee turnover rate, by mid 2012 about half of the employee was either temp workers or interns
    high manager turnover rate
    does not provide matching 401(k)
    health benefits are mediocre at best
    poor working tools
    almost none on the job training
    many dissatisfied clients
    bad office location

Great opportunity to learn and practice all types of digital marketing

Account Manager (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

Pros- Talented & dedicated colleagues that are always willing to help
    - Suitable environment for motivated self-starters (those that require hand-holding should stay away)
    - Approachable management team
    - Desire to be the best
    - Friendly and fun culture
    - Flexible work arrangements

Cons- Top heavy and not enough staff to execute
    - Long hours, unattractive incentives
    - Lack of investment in both software & hardware technology

Advice to Senior Management- Tackle operational efficiencies and retention rate, as well as performance on existing accounts (vs. being too sales-focused). Only then will the agency enjoy sustainable growth.

Red Bricks Media gave me the opportunity to practice best of breed digital marketing.

Client Services Director (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

Pros- People are smart, tireless, sharing
    - Desire to be the Best Digital Agency around
    - Great client base
    - Opportunity for Professional Growth (was promoted 4 times in 4 years)
    - Convenient SOMA Location
    - Flexible Work Arrangements

ConsRed Bricks Media is a fast-paced, sometimes scrappy environment. Those that enjoy the pace of a start-up will thrive here. Those looking for a big company feel will likely do better elsewhere.

Fast-paced, learn-as-you-go environment that is brimming with extremely talented and hard-working employees.

San Francisco, CA

ProsI really enjoy everyone I work with, not only as fellow employees but good friends - my peers are extremely smart, capable, proactive and fun. Within my proper team, my direct superior is, to say the least, amazing. He not only effectively manages my team and our assortment of clients, but genuinely cares about the advancement of our professional careers.

My day-to-day work is interesting, rarely monotonous and ahead of the curve. My team is constantly implementing new strategies and products that other agencies are not yet doing, which keeps my work fresh. I find that I'm constantly learning and don't see myself in a position where I would ever get bored.

ConsNot necessarily a con, but true to agency fashion, our company is extremely fast-paced and not for the weak of heart. There is huge opportunity if you're willing to put in long hours and push yourself; however, this company is not for those looking for a traditional nine to five. In order to succeed, you must be proactive, quick-to-learn, able to prioritize and an effective project manager.

Worked for Red Bricks Media? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Red Bricks Media reviews and ratings in San Francisco, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Red Bricks Media CEO Kirstin Falk. All 14 reviews posted anonymously by Red Bricks Media employees.