Red Frog Events Reviews

Reset
2.0
Red Frog Events Architect of Adventure Joe Reynolds
Joe Reynolds

Pros
  • Free stuff: clothing allowance when on site at events, lunch on Mondays, free beer, Red Bull, snacks, etc in the office (in 13 reviews)

• Excellent office atmosphere, travel opportunities, good benefits for interns, hands-on experience (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Hard to achieve a full time position (in 52 reviews)

• Extraordinarily long hours at events (in 19 reviews)

A lost opportunity

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Red Frog Events full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Friendly co-workers -Opportunity to travel (sometimes con) -Very flexible hours and vacation -Supports St. Jude -Office perks (snacks, lunch on mondays, gym) -Good benefits (health, dental, 401k, etc.)

Cons

-Little growth potential -Professional development budget was seemingly nonexistant -Poor communication and transparency -Raises/salary are nowhere close to being competitive -Poor job security -Unqualified HR

Advice to Management

It's a shame what Red Frog became; it seemed so close to its dream a few years ago. Joe, I'd recommend taking a hard look at those who are seen as your trusted critics and advisers. It seems the loss of company culture and the Red Frog Way began when undercutting and "yes man-ing" became more valued than open feedback and total transparency. I hope Red Frog can bounce back from these layoffs because I really do want to believe that you can do so much more, especially for the kids of St. Jude.

Changing Times

I worked at Red Frog Events full-time

Pros

Flexible work hours and vacation, casual office environment, good people, some world class events (Firefly and Warrior Dash)

Cons

Company leadership asks for a lot of trust from employees and changes policies and company direction seemingly on a whim, without action plans and without appropriate care for the way it affects employees. Some of the things that made this company special now feel like afterthoughts (people first, world's best benefits, hiring for culture, collaboration). A couple of the highest level managers (executive level) are very unqualified with a bad track record, but seem to be immune to criticism or accountability for poor performance.

Advice to Management

Think about what made your company great and hold onto it. Think about who is most important to your success and invest in keeping them happy and engaged.

Unknown Future

I worked at Red Frog Events full-time

Pros

-A history of being a great company, with accelerated growth -In general, lots of great people- smart, talented, creative and just great to be around -Nice office environment with decent perks! -Opportunity to travel -Ability to take on a lot of responsibility and explore different career paths

Cons

Some major changes are currently happening at Red Frog. While I'd like to think they're for the best, some of the decisions from senior leadership seem questionable. -Consistent mismanagement across several teams -Lack of transparency around decision making -Job security is not guarantee at this point -While Red Frog preaches a transparent and fair culture- it's not necessarily always lived, especially in some parts of the leadership team.

Advice to Management

I wish the very best for Red Frog and am hopeful these recent changes benefit the company. Senior leaders: please consider the group you're surrounding yourself with. Are the people you consider trusted advisers actually giving you accurate information? Are these the right people to get Red Frog to the place you want it to be in 10, 50, 100 years down the line? A lot of people love Red Frog and have (or had) faith in the business, how can you rebuild the trust? Best of luck, Red Frog and hope you can get back to the place you want to be.

not fun

Current Intern - Event Coordinator
    Current Intern - Event Coordinator

I have been working at Red Frog Events as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the people are fun working with.

Cons

no leadership within the company

Advice to Management

step up your game.

Very little structure and learning

I worked at Red Frog Events as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I definitely had some fun times, from the office itself and having fun with the other tadpoles to the various events that I traveled to to the parties and field trip. It was a fun summer.

Cons

BUT, I didn't take an internship at a company in order to participate in a slightly grown up version of summer camp. That is what the internship felt like. The tadpoles are the real work force in this company, but the company itself takes very little time training them, teaching them, mentoring them, and making sure their jobs are being done. A large majority of the frogs don't do their job well, don't really know how to be a professional, so they *can't* really mentor or teach the tadpoles anything. It is a pretty sad state of affairs. Definitely a fun time, but absolutely terrible in terms of learning, professional development and taking anything concrete away from this internship. It was a waste of a summer.

Advice to Management

There needs to be some kind of professional development classes or seminars for the frogs to attend. Most of them are swimming in the deep end, having very little experience or knowledge about their specific jobs. You are throwing money out of the window by putting these unprofessional, unskilled, and unknowledgeable people in charge of large aspects of your company. It's little wonder why many of your new events are complete failures.

Work Hard, Learn Little, Leave Unhappy

I worked at Red Frog Events as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Travel around the country Live in Chicago Free beer in the office

Cons

The title of this review says it all. You will work very hard, especially when you're on site at an event. You learn very little as what you do as an intern equates to low level peon work while in the office and manual labor when on site at an event. The full time employees make little (if any) effort to actually teach you about event planning. That could be because so many of them have less than one year experience and so they are still learning the ropes themselves. At the end of the internship you are told some story about why they can't offer you a full time position. What this really means is that the full time employees liked some of the other interns better. This is not based on skill or passion, but on popularity. Because such is the case you leave with a really bad taste in your mouth. This is not a company that seems concerned with hiring the top talent as they move toward the future. They seem to be only focused on the immediate future, which is not a great business plan.

Advice to Management

Get to know what is going on in your company, especially when it comes to the hiring process. Your employees are only focused on hiring the popular interns, not the interns with the skills and talents that will cause your company to succeed in the future.

Too Much to Say

Current Intern - Event Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Current Intern - Event Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Red Frog Events as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Cool office, fun people to work with

Cons

The interns run the place. Full time staff relies on them to do most of the work, at event set ups and in the office. Full time staff doesn't help train at all or answer any questions. It's a very gossipy office and their customer service is terrible. They rip off people all the time and are very hush hush about the money flow within the company. It's going to go under in 5-10 years, because the CEO and CFO have no idea what's happening beneath them. They give you money to buy clothes for warrior dash set ups, but they have to be RFE gear only...it's uncomfortable and they're giving it to us for promotion.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your current full time staff. They hire people based off popularity, not skill or talent. I know people that put in 10 times as much work as others and they didn't get the job while the lazy, funny one did.

Red Frog Events Response

May 30, 2013 – .

Thank you for letting us know how was your time was at Red Frog Events. We appreciate your feedback and are continuing to work diligently to ensure everyone has a positive experience during their ... More

Meh...

I worked at Red Frog Events as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Got to go to some really cool places People were generally nice Line on a resume, pretty much all it's good for

Cons

Didn't really make any long term friends I mean just read the other comments, they say it all. Wasn't really worth it.

Red Frog Events Response

Apr 11, 2013 – Red Frogger

Thank you for your post. We're grateful that Glassdoor is finally allowing employers the opportunity to respond to reviews this spring. Please know that we take each and every review as constructive ... More

Do whatever you can to find a different job, unless you're main priority is foosball and drinking in the office.

I worked at Red Frog Events as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Snacks all the time, flexible hours when you're not traveling, beer in the office

Cons

Interns are loud, all of the time, when you travel you can work up to 100 hours that week (on $500..... so, way below minimum wage), your supervisors don't care if you eat or sleep while you're traveling - 3 to 4 hours a night is acceptable to them, not a serious workplace whatsoever. I have found myself strongly encouraging friends not to apply. I hated this job and would have quit after a month if I needed need the income for the rest of the summer. It was not a good experience.

Advice to Management

You are driving away a lot of talented people with a great work-fun balance because the interns are allowed to do whatever they want. The chaos gets old when you are trying to build a career and learn new skills. At the end of the day, I feel scammed into believing this was going to be an amazing experience.

An Internship, A Poor Experience, and Moving Forward: My Life At RFE

I worked at Red Frog Events as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

There are a lot of perks to the job, which is how they lure so many interns into the position every semester. The office is made to attract people to the position as it has a slide, tree houses, a bar, TVs, and a generally fun atmosphere. Outside of unlimited vacation days, the free food and drinks, lunch on Mondays, and a clothing stipend when you go on events, all of the other benefits are reserved for full time employees, so don't let that factor into your decision of taking the internship. The best part of the internship, hands down, is meeting, working with, and becoming friends with the other interns.

Cons

Preparing for the internship I did a lot of research on the company. I studied and learned as much as I could. Going into the internship I worked as hard as I possibly could: coming in early, staying late, going above and beyond, helping out wherever I could around the office, and generally putting my best foot forward at every turn. The feedback I received from my mentor (which was, in turn, feedback they received from my team leaders and from RDs on site at events) seemed to confirm my own thoughts: I was working hard, doing good work, getting a long with everybody, and generally putting my best foot forward at every turn. All signs, both implicit and explicit, pointed towards getting the job at the other side of the internship. The problem was that I sincerely discounted three main things in my assessment of how the internship was going: 1) The fact that RFE does not hire based on how hard you work or how well you do your work. They hire based on who is the most popular among their full time employees. 2) The fact that all your feedback is not meant to be an honest representation of how well you are doing, but a way to keep you motivated to keep working hard, all the while thinking that your hard work will bloom into a full time offer. 3) The immaturity and selfishness of the full time employees. A mature and selfless employee who is secure with their skills in the workplace and concerned with the future of the company for which they work would push to hire the best and the brightest of each internship class. Not at RFE. The employees push for interns who will not encroach on their position in the company. The result is that RFE keeps hiring weaker and weaker staff. So, inevitably, I did not get the offer to come on full time. My mentor read some excuse from an email they received and had no real, viable reason about why I did not get hired. The real reason was that I worked hard instead of worrying about my popularity among the full time staff, foolishly thinking that RFE rewarded good, hard work and talent above popularity among their employees. The real rub was that I honestly believed that I was good friends with the full time staff as I had nothing but positive experiences with them and never ruffled any feathers. But, just like the feedback from my mentor, team leaders, and RDs, that was also completely fake. So as I move forward, I look back at my time at RFE with mixed feelings. Most of them are negative as I feel the company has some serious issues that need to be dealt with immediately. The bright spots are the friendships with the other interns that I know I will have for the rest of my life. Did I learn during my internship? Not a lot. Would I ever do it again? Never. Had I known then what I know now I would have never done it to begin with. Am I going to spend my time being bitter towards RFE? A bit of time, perhaps. But I know that it is better to have RFE in the rear view mirror than it is to be in worthless, thankless internship on Ohio St.

Advice to Management

Where to begin. The philosophy you had when you had 10 employees and quirky workspace absolutely does not work with a company of your size. Your homecoming court-esque internship program which only rewards popularity and not hard work is absolute nonsense. You are never going to have continued success with that kind of short thinking. Internally there needs to be an outlet for interns and employees to give honest feedback. Because your program is built upon popularity, no one ever feels free to give honest feedback. Some have suggested firing 50% of your full time employees. I think that's generous. I'd put the number closer to 75%. Start trimming the fat and hiring the talent. Your company will blow away the competition. At this point the competition is in the lead.

RSS Feed </> Embed