Red Hat

Red Hat Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Red Hat President & CEO Jim Whitehurst

Jim Whitehurst

Pros
  • It's open source baby (it's still now - subjected to change with the way of growth)(in 77 reviews)

• Very nice and open culture/environment, lots of bonuses/benefits, flexible working hours, competitive salaries, opportunities to learn/develop/grow(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Product management wrestling increasing control over upstream open source projects(in 22 reviews)

• There is need for work life balance in Red Hat(in 9 reviews)

Would be hard to leave

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsThe culture is very open and flexible. For the most part, employees can work from anywhere. There is definitely a "technology" company culture.

ConsIt's a growing company and that has lead to communication channels being unclear or non-existent. While it's easy to get in touch with management, communication of ongoing activities seems to get lost.

Good, but growing fast

ProsGood work environment for starting out

ConsCan get lost in the mix

Great Work Environment. Not so competitive pay.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsGreat engineers to work with.
    Lot of freedom and choice.
    Relaxed work environment.
    Good Projects to work on and always exciting.
    Great place to start your career and the company has a very good reputation when trying to move.

ConsFar less than market pay standard.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to match the market standard for compensation.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Intern

ProsEnjoyed my time there last year

ConsNot too much else to add

Awesome company, love working here!

ProsSmart people, everyone loves what they do, everyone is good at what they do, lots of opportunities for advancement.

ConsNeeds to be better alignment of goals across business units.

It's easier to survive than succeed here

Project Manager (Current Employee)

ProsSmartest bunch of people I know under one roof. By far.
    Flexible, independent (depending on group) work.
    Freedom to propose, have opinions and instill change.
    Interesting, exciting and challenging environment. We may be many things, but not bored.
    Innovative, take-risk, release often - fail fast environment.

ConsMeritocracy is not as strong as the old-boys-network.
    Building an org based the smartest, best in class, type A people requires management skills not present at all levels (promotions often seem based on technical, not managerial skills).
    Instituting change can be slow and painful - ruling by consensus is not always efficient or effective.
    Limited work experience outside Red Hat, many associates know only the Red Hat way. Not effective in trying to increase maturity in a large organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart holding people at al levels accountable. We need to outgrow the garage mentality and acquire both scale and process to reach our next goals.

Overall good experience with a growing industry leader

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosawesome location, great pay, learned a lot

Consat times i felt that my boss was unprepared as to what she expected from my role which often left me wondering what my role entailed/ what my purpose in it was

Advice to Senior Managementstreamline internship roles

Interesting

Consultant (Current Employee) Bowie, MD

ProsGreat Technology and training. great resources

ConsNo loyalty or job security

Outstanding products and brilliant coworkers

Technical Support Engineer (Former Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsTruly lives up to the term "collaboration" and breathes the open source principles in day-to-day operations. Some truly brilliant coworkers who are passionate about what they do. The learning curve is very steep, but the environment is supportive and tech support engineers gain experience very quickly. Train every TSE for RHCE and require they attain it to maintain their position. Continue to develop internal and external tools to streamline workflow and make the organization more efficient.

ConsThe compensation is far from competitive. This aids in attracting those who are passionate about the technology and open source culture; however, it is difficult to raise a family and pay debts on the poor pay. Also causes a constant churn of the most skilled engineers.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the pay more competitive. You don't have to lead the pack, but reduce the gap.

A rare company that practices what it preaches

Software Architect (Current Employee) Westford, MA

ProsRed Hat has a strong commitment to open-source software. It contributes to the advancement of technology around the world, allowing people to build atop the work of others to produce products and solutions greater than the sum of their parts.

The corporate culture is by far the finest I have experienced. The culture of collaboration permeates every level of the business.

ConsRed Hat's salaries do not always measure up to the giants of Silicon Valley. The work-life balance can sometimes be difficult to maintain, as everyone in engineering performs multiple jobs.

Red Hat can be stingy at times, such as requiring employees to room together on business trips.

Advice to Senior ManagementLoosen the purse-strings a bit to avoid losing good people to soulless companies with deep pockets. People will stay at Red Hat for the corporate culture if the pay gap shrank a bit.

Worked for Red Hat? Contribute to the Community!