Red Hat

Red Hat Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Red Hat President & CEO Jim Whitehurst

Jim Whitehurst

Pros
  • It's open source baby (it's still now - subjected to change with the way of growth)(in 75 reviews)

• Very nice and open culture/environment, lots of bonuses/benefits, flexible working hours, competitive salaries, opportunities to learn/develop/grow(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Product management wrestling increasing control over upstream open source projects(in 22 reviews)

• There is need for work life balance in Red Hat(in 9 reviews)

Flexible work, good work, good people.

Senior Engineer (Current Employee) Manchester, MI

ProsRH has the right attitude about remote employees -- and it works very well for us. Maybe you've heard anti-remote ideas lately from other companies. They are living in the past.

RH is the corporate face of open source. It's pretty easy for me to believe that what we're doing here actually matters.

The people I've met here ( in 5 years ) are smart, easy to get along with, and a pleasure to work with.

I realize this sounds a little like I'm seriously drinking the KoolAid. Well -- okay. I've had a lot of jobs in the last 20 years, and this is the first place I've really liked.

ConsBeing remote can get a little isolating -- a weird combination of always being in touch with everybody, and never seeing anybody.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe idea that makes Open Source work is that the intelligence to make world-beating products is out there in the tech grass roots, and management's job is to gather it, channel it but also go where it leads, and purify it for enterprise-level use. Please keep believing in this model, no matter how much success you have with it. :-) ( So far, so good. )

Challenging work, great environment.

Senior Software Quality Engineer (Current Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsGreat culture, work environment, people, and open source ideals.

ConsI don't have any complaints.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work!

Red Hat Services

Consultant (Current Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsDiversity of work and exposure to open source products in many verticals. See how real customers struggle to integrate and implement what marketing and sales make seem "easy".

ConsConsultant corporate culture more concerned with title, whining, and CYA. Probably one of the worse culture types where on the surface "one team", behind the scenes all risk management and blame gaming. In an environment where it's already difficult to deliver under optimal conditions you cannot trust your peers or managers here. No bueno.

Oh yes, and the solutions are often not very well thought out.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out of the services and stick to sales and product development. In services you have to have excellent managers and team members that can form, storm, and norm without all the infighting. We don't have that. This is in addition to already having to suffer being a 100% road warrior for most people.

Marketing hype aside, are these engagements really success stories or building a stellar reputation for RH?? Many are not and we all know it.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

OK but not the dream that was sold to me

ProsOpen Source Technology is cool

ConsNo transparency with management
    While they claim to be approachable... they aren't. Not at all.
    Very little diversity within organization (e.g. mostly Old White Males. The End.)
    Working with an enterprise product stack is less interesting than you might think

It was good while it lasted

Salesforce Business Analyst (Current Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsGreat location and campus. Great people

ConsSome of the lower level leaders and managers are a pain to work with. Terrible experience as a contractor, they gave me absolutely no feedback and ended my contract abruptly.

Great place to work

QA Engineer (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

Prosgood evironment and high skilled managers

Conslow paying, less transperancy, less benifits

Advice to Senior Managementbetter communication

Very good

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Westford, MA

ProsRed Hat has strong company values, and a unique business model that makes it well positioned for success. It is a medium sized company with a big company presence

ConsOffice locations are far from city centers. I think this is a strategic move to keep real estate costs down, but I also believe it makes current employees unhappy and detracts against getting the "right kind" of new employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementExpand closer to Boston to attract talent

Red Hat

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsExcellent company with a great unique culture.

ConsCan be a little siloed.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't forget the people

Good people, good technology, bad compensation.

Sales Engineer (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsThe open source culture is very nice as is the technology. Most everyone I worked with was good. Training was available both in classes and on the intranet. Remote work opportunities were good, with plenty of support provided for remote employees.

ConsAs an SE my commission was very poorly done, and completely unobtainable. It seed like they promised X to make it look like a great position, but really only intended to pay out 75% of that.

Advice to Senior ManagementFix your comp plans for SEs.

Time to sell some salami

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsGood salary, flexible work environment, some flexibility in job assignments, not too demanding with bench work. Management is responsive to your opinions and suggestions. Management generally asks if you are comfortable with assignments.

ConsSometimes isolating fro remote employees. Management is not afraid to throw consultants into situations that are less than ideal. They can send you into an assignment alone where you have no experience with a product that they sold you on as an expert.

Worked for Red Hat? Contribute to the Community!