Red Hat

Red Hat President & CEO Jim Whitehurst

Jim Whitehurst

9 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Challenging and very fullfilling

Workplace Strategist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Red Hat full-time for more than a year

ProsIt is a definate meritocracy where your views and comments are considered and listened to. Every associate has the ability to change the company.

ConsEvery one has a voice which means some people can become complete divas. The transition from small company to big one is a little painful but the management are dealing with this in a positve way.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on doing what your doing.

Negative

Inside Sales Account Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Red Hat full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat reach to latest in IT

ConsIn U.K. They use people as thermometers and make sure there are enough borderline characters within the Organization

Enterprise or Startup

Senior Recruiter (Former Employee)

I worked at Red Hat full-time for more than a year

ProsRed Hat has some great people particularly on the technical side. They have develop some great solutions and technologies that have change the market place certainly with Linux Red Hat and Jboss. Great place to be if you are developer. Lots of good interesting projects to get involved with. New ways of thinking and a real chance to develop your skill set to your own benefit.

ConsRed Hat are making that transition from startup to enterprise, certain people cannot make that change and are holding the company back. Expect to be micro managed, expect a culture of blame down from some managers to their team and individual contributors.
The company wastes a lot of time on reporting who is doing what, so much so that they are wasting huge amount of resources doing so.
There is a strong sense of dis-jointment between the sales and the rest of the organisation.
As a smaller enterprise there is a lot of favouritism that goes within the organisation. If you are not one of the favourites do not expect much chance of career progression and be prepare used to further the career of others.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at getting rid of people who are clearly happier in a start up environment particular within the management level. Work closer with the sales teams so the rest of the organisation understands what a Enterprise company needs to do to survive and growth. Overall to many bad managers and leaders around who need to got rid off, they are ultimately holding the company back as they look after their careers first not the interests of Red Hat and it shareholders. Red Hat have small number of very good industry leaders / managers who are been held back by others.

Superb work environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England (UK)

I worked at Red Hat as a contractor for less than a year

ProsCollaboration. Fast moving, forward thinking company. Cutting edge.

ConsSome disjointed and long winded processes in some areas of the business

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep going on the same trajectory

Excellent!

Senior Technical Support Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Red Hat full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat place to work. Collaborative mindset. You are in the heart of a world class company that defines how IT business is done.

ConsProblematic tools, disjointed information, processes still in development.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo problems really. Be as hand off as possible :)

Could be a great place to work for

Technical Support Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsLooks good on CV
Maybe the opportunity to do some certification
like minded people

ConsNo career path (at least in support)
Too many people with too much time on their hands create silly policy for you to follow.
real lack of understanding of the wold outside the USA.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart giving a bit of respect, the world is bigger than the US of A.
For the senoir management in the rest of the world, it would be about time to care for your employee.

You'll know quickly if it is the job for you.

I have been working at Red Hat

ProsDecent pay, some very fun times, excellent colleagues, open source spirit, good reputation, respect in the industry, good customers, free hat.

ConsQuestionable, sometimes bizarre decisions from product management and upper management; heavy favouritism; lot's of politics, even in low level jobs; terrible tools!

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove global awareness, and take employee satisfaction more seriously! Definitely spend more time watching how your people work before micro-managing them to death.

Red Hat... nothing quite like it!

I have been working at Red Hat

ProsOpen source passion courses through this company like no-where else, if that interests you then there's no-where else quite like it.

ConsStill quite a young company, so there are some things that just aren't in place yet or don't work very well, there's also some people that have been there for too long...

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep true to the values of open source and don't fall foul of the pressures to sell out. Your employees are invaluable, don't forget that.

Fast-growing company with a lot of ambition.

Inside Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at Red Hat

ProsFast growing company with a lot of ambition and a great name on the market

ConsManagement lacks consistency. Even though the company is growing, not enough opportunities to progress are given to existing employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop better your employees to grow with the company.

Worked for Red Hat? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Red Hat reviews and ratings in Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Red Hat CEO Jim Whitehurst. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by Red Hat employees.