Red Hat Reviews in Raleigh-Durham, NC

Updated August 25, 2014

4.1

Red Hat President & CEO Jim Whitehurst
Jim Whitehurst

Pros
  • It's open source baby (it's still now - subjected to change with the way of growth) (in 77 reviews)

• Very nice and open culture/environment, lots of bonuses/benefits, flexible working hours, competitive salaries, opportunities to learn/develop/grow (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Product management wrestling increasing control over upstream open source projects (in 22 reviews)

• There is need for work life balance in Red Hat (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

80 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Best work environment I've ever seen

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Red Hat full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

People are passionate, committed, and capable. "Dead Weight" is rare on a team. Most teams are flexible and allow you to maintain an excellent work/life balance.

Cons

- While the technology used is often new and interesting, the problems being solved tend to be dry and uninteresting.
    - Development teams have little input about customer requirements/needs
    - There is a large gap of missing information from people in the field versus those designing/building products.
    - Some teams become process heavy and seem to over complicate the work they are doing.
    - Red Hatters tend to be a different sort of people, they are more vocal on what they like/dislike on mailing lists with several sounding "whiny" at times.
    - Company is growing and losing the 'startup' feel

Development teams are often building products with little to no input about the desired customers needs/wants. Product Management (if it is even available) is not gathering enough information from customers and passing it to developers. End result is developers are guessing at details of features without having a good understanding of the customer. It would be helpful if there were ways to increase interactions with those in the field (support/solutions architects/consultants) with the engineering teams. In my experience the teams operate as separate silos with minimal interaction.

The best place to work

Current Employee - Program Manager  in  Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Red Hat full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Outstanding office culture, very positive atmosphere. Senior leadership and middle management are open and transparent. Very collaborative work ethic. Managers and coworkers are eager to do what it takes to get the job done. Mostly well defined career paths. Excellent PTO policies as well.

Cons

No major ones and nothing that wouldn't be experienced at other companies. Even the minor cons, like some of the tools we use to do our job aren't the best in the industry, are really minor and could be much worse in other companies.

Great but you have to buy in, and Support/GSS is not easy

Former Employee - Associate Technical Support Engineer  in  Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Associate Technical Support Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Red Hat full-time for more than a year

Pros

They make an effort to keep you comfortable. The benefits are good.

Cons

Pay in support/GSS is 30k less than anywhere else comparable. This is too large a gap.
    Support is way to stressful and evolving to not get stressed out.

In this case, Support/GSS, just pay better. That makes a lot of the other crap easier to take.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Terrible work-life balance, terrible middle-management

Current Employee - Associate Technical Support Engineer  in  Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Associate Technical Support Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Red Hat full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great co-workers. You really feel like you're on a team and that you have a support system in your fellow engineers. Everyone is very willing to share knowledge and expertise and there are very few egos. Access to training materials is also excellent.

Cons

This only applies to secure support, regular support is fine. No PTO, no support from management. Red Hat created this team to provide 24x7x365 (including all holidays) support for customers with sensitive data, but have done nothing to support it. Additionally, there has been resentment towards the team from the other managers on the floor, even going so far as to exclude us from lunch orders when Red Hat provides lunch to support on the weekends. If you're interviewing for a support position at Red Hat, avoid secure support (GS4) at all costs and insist in a regular support (GSS) position.

Treat your employees like human beings.

Great place to work for Open Source advocates and open-minded people!

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Red Hat full-time for less than a year

Pros

Company culture is awesome if you're an open source advocate. If you're not, it's still a great place to work as long as you keep an open mind. Work is pretty flexible, sometimes even leaving it up to take the initiative to work on valuable projects. Most people are really passionate about what they do, which makes for awesome work life. However, there is also a real balance with life, offering pretty good PTO.

Cons

There seems to be a decline in the importance of Open Source for some people, making it OK to adopt proprietary solutions when convenient. It's probably a side effect of a growing company, where a lot of the people coming in don't have the same vision and passion for Open Source.

Don't let profitability stomp on culture and values. The reason Red Hat is what it is is finding a good business model around supporting Open Source, and continuing to be a leader in the field. If Red Hat starts using proprietary tools internally, what does that say to the rest of the world?

My worst career mistake

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Red Hat for less than a year

Pros

Brand name company - looks good on your resume; nice corporate office and amenities, especially for younger employees; free parking; training opportunities

Cons

Inexperienced managers of people; not always strategic in their actions; not open to new ideas; caste system from a structure standpoint

Pay attention to why people leave your company and take appropriate action - not every business leader should be leading people

Political

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Red Hat full-time

Pros

Good benefits, hard working colleagues and autonomy

Cons

Politics. The company (at least back office functions) is full of back biting politics between and within departments. Everyone is afraid of losing power and fights for position. A lot of smoke and mirrors without much truth to employees or higher management. Many in leadership are checked out and are more concerned about positioning themselves outside of Red Hat instead of focusing on what needs to be done within their departments.

Also, lip service is paid to growth and moving within the company but for many in back office functions, to move is almost impossible because managers will limit your mobility to not lose the headcount number.

Collaboration, trust and transparency are buzzwords that are not lived out in practice at Red Hat.

Clean house in your second and third level "leaders". They are not being honest with you and are only interested in advancing personal agendas. They are playing a chess game with you and each other.

Invest in your people - even those in cost center departments. Allow those with a vision to blossom instead of allowing them to be silenced in the interest of politics.

Wasn't as open-source as I'd expect, but I was not working in development. No stock, decent compensation.

Current Employee - Sales Analyst  in  Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Analyst in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Red Hat full-time for less than a year

Pros

Tolerant of sexual orientation / race, Decent Compensation, the developers have a great open-source culture, frequent free food, free soda and snacks every day. Team had pretty good cohesion and occasionally shared a potluck or a team-building half-day out of the office.

Cons

I was in the sales/analysts part of the company, and Red Hat's sales organization has a less open-source culture than previous jobs where I worked close to developers. I worked medium-long hours, and especially long hours around quarter ends, which diluted my hourly wage to "not worth it". I used Windows/Excel/PowerPoint, and our team did things the way you do them at all US / multinational mega-corps. I felt there were too many layers of management between me and the customer, and that it would take forever to rise through at least 3 of the 6 layers of the corporation's management (just like a pyramid scheme) to get good compensation. The days of stock options ended sometime between 2012-2013 for the bottom-level developers/analysts. I think even first-level managers still can get stock options, but the chance for real wealth has past. Most of these cons apply to most corporate jobs. I improved my Excel skills to even higher levels. I didn't learn or improve other valuable skills that I can make money with, so personal growth was limited. I was praised for my effort and results, but never rewarded with more money, more time, or better work. I discovered my marginal earnings / hour were better managing my personal investments and fulfilling orders and improving the efficiency of my own little business during lunch, so I quit after 1 year. My managers said they were sad when I announced I wanted to leave, but didn't offer anything more to keep me. I think actions speak louder than words, and Red Hat's actions said it only valued me as a $28/hr (pre-tax) / $21/hr (post-tax) Excel and salesforce.com jockey. Red Hat offered no way of improving me into a higher-value role, so I left. I now make $35/hr on my lowest-value tasks, and can work as little or as much as I want, when I want, and still make enough to live where I like, and do anything I want all day, every day.

Let the sales/analysts be part of Red Hat's open-source culture. My manager was questioned by his manager when I responded to one of the Red Hat company-wide lists about why I choose a High-Deductible Health Plan (HDHP). His attitude was, "why is (s)he writing this 2 or 3 paragraph email about HDHP, (s)he should be working!" This response shocked me, because Red Hat is supposedly about everyone contributing and having their opinions heard.

Red Hat provided me with a wonderful internship opportunity!

Former Employee - Human Resources  in  Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Red Hat as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I was only a part of the company for four short months but during that time I got a great taste of what working at Red Hat entails. The culture is truly something a college grad dreams of working in! There is never a dull moment or boring day. The team does a lot together, not only in the workplace but after hours as well. It is somewhere that makes everyone, even the interns feel like a part of the team.

Cons

Since finishing my internship with Red Hat I have not been able to find an entry level position on the business side of things. That is not really a "con" but it would be amazing to land a full-time position with such a great company.

More entry level positions available and a way to notify interested applicants when positions become available would be great!

Loved the job

Former Employee - Product Manager I  in  Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Product Manager I in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Red Hat full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Red Hat is an outstanding company to work for

Cons

None, There is nothing I can think of ...

They are some of my friends, you are doing well

Worked for Red Hat? Contribute to the Community!