Red Hat

Updated Jul 5, 2014

Red Hat President & CEO Jim Whitehurst

Jim Whitehurst

72 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Wasn't as open-source as I'd expect, but I was not working in development. No stock, decent compensation.

Sales Analyst (Current Employee)
    Raleigh, NC

ProsTolerant of sexual orientation / race, Decent Compensation, the developers have a great open-source culture, frequent free food, free soda and snacks every day. Team had pretty good cohesion and occasionally shared a potluck or a team-building half-day out of the office.

ConsI was in the sales/analysts part of the company, and Red Hat's sales organization has a less open-source culture than previous jobs where I worked close to developers. I worked medium-long hours, and especially long hours around quarter ends, which diluted my hourly wage to "not worth it". I used Windows/Excel/PowerPoint, and our team did things the way you do them at all US / multinational mega-corps. I felt there were too many layers of management between me and the customer, and that it would take forever to rise through at least 3 of the 6 layers of the corporation's management (just like a pyramid scheme) to get good compensation. The days of stock options ended sometime between 2012-2013 for the bottom-level developers/analysts. I think even first-level managers still can get stock options, but the chance for real wealth has past. Most of these cons apply to most corporate jobs. I improved my Excel skills to even higher levels. I didn't learn or improve other valuable skills that I can make money with, so personal growth was limited. I was praised for my effort and results, but never rewarded with more money, more time, or better work. I discovered my marginal earnings / hour were better managing my personal investments and fulfilling orders and improving the efficiency of my own little business during lunch, so I quit after 1 year. My managers said they were sad when I announced I wanted to leave, but didn't offer anything more to keep me. I think actions speak louder than words, and Red Hat's actions said it only valued me as a $28/hr (pre-tax) / $21/hr (post-tax) Excel and salesforce.com jockey. Red Hat offered no way of improving me into a higher-value role, so I left. I now make $35/hr on my lowest-value tasks, and can work as little or as much as I want, when I want, and still make enough to live where I like, and do anything I want all day, every day.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet the sales/analysts be part of Red Hat's open-source culture. My manager was questioned by his manager when I responded to one of the Red Hat company-wide lists about why I choose a High-Deductible Health Plan (HDHP). His attitude was, "why is (s)he writing this 2 or 3 paragraph email about HDHP, (s)he should be working!" This response shocked me, because Red Hat is supposedly about everyone contributing and having their opinions heard.

Political

Raleigh, NC

ProsGood benefits, hard working colleagues and autonomy

ConsPolitics. The company (at least back office functions) is full of back biting politics between and within departments. Everyone is afraid of losing power and fights for position. A lot of smoke and mirrors without much truth to employees or higher management. Many in leadership are checked out and are more concerned about positioning themselves outside of Red Hat instead of focusing on what needs to be done within their departments.

Also, lip service is paid to growth and moving within the company but for many in back office functions, to move is almost impossible because managers will limit your mobility to not lose the headcount number.

Collaboration, trust and transparency are buzzwords that are not lived out in practice at Red Hat.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house in your second and third level "leaders". They are not being honest with you and are only interested in advancing personal agendas. They are playing a chess game with you and each other.

Invest in your people - even those in cost center departments. Allow those with a vision to blossom instead of allowing them to be silenced in the interest of politics.

Red Hat provided me with a wonderful internship opportunity!

Human Resources (Former Employee)
    Raleigh, NC

ProsI was only a part of the company for four short months but during that time I got a great taste of what working at Red Hat entails. The culture is truly something a college grad dreams of working in! There is never a dull moment or boring day. The team does a lot together, not only in the workplace but after hours as well. It is somewhere that makes everyone, even the interns feel like a part of the team.

ConsSince finishing my internship with Red Hat I have not been able to find an entry level position on the business side of things. That is not really a "con" but it would be amazing to land a full-time position with such a great company.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore entry level positions available and a way to notify interested applicants when positions become available would be great!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Loved the job

Product Manager I (Former Employee)
    Raleigh, NC

ProsRed Hat is an outstanding company to work for

ConsNone, There is nothing I can think of ...

Advice to Senior ManagementThey are some of my friends, you are doing well

Fun but nowhere to go...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Raleigh, NC

ProsWorking Environment: fun, fast-paced, opportunity to travel
    Free food on most days somewhere in the office
    Great office space

ConsLow salary. Had to leave because it just wan't competitive enough.
    Promotions are based on who you are friends with-- not merit based.
    People in leadership never move-- and often have no idea what they are doing.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter, competitive salary. Leadership needs to actually lead-- not be a part of the cool kids group.

Freedom, Flexibility and Meritocracy

Project Manager (Current Employee)
    Raleigh, NC

ProsThe great thing about Red Hat is that you in general are given the freedom to do what you want to do. While demand is high, if you have a passion in a certain area, management is open to you taking your role in that direction. Also depending on the role, there is a lot of flexibility to work from home/flex hours. If you like working for a company that allows associates to be vocal and passionate, this is the place for you!

ConsWith this kind of culture, often people are left to figure things out without too much guidance. Some thrive in this environment, while others sink. Also pay is not nearly competitive enough.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork harder to keep top talent - if you ignore them too long they will eventually leave for better respect/pay.

Corporate management

Raleigh, NC

ProsDynamic, ever-changing, not boring, unique business model, great people

ConsManager quality varies greatly across departments

Great Work Environment. Not so competitive pay.

Raleigh, NC

ProsGreat engineers to work with.
    Lot of freedom and choice.
    Relaxed work environment.
    Good Projects to work on and always exciting.
    Great place to start your career and the company has a very good reputation when trying to move.

ConsFar less than market pay standard.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to match the market standard for compensation.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Outstanding products and brilliant coworkers

Technical Support Engineer (Former Employee)
    Raleigh, NC

ProsTruly lives up to the term "collaboration" and breathes the open source principles in day-to-day operations. Some truly brilliant coworkers who are passionate about what they do. The learning curve is very steep, but the environment is supportive and tech support engineers gain experience very quickly. Train every TSE for RHCE and require they attain it to maintain their position. Continue to develop internal and external tools to streamline workflow and make the organization more efficient.

ConsThe compensation is far from competitive. This aids in attracting those who are passionate about the technology and open source culture; however, it is difficult to raise a family and pay debts on the poor pay. Also causes a constant churn of the most skilled engineers.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the pay more competitive. You don't have to lead the pack, but reduce the gap.

Great!

Enginerring Intern (Former Employee)
    Raleigh, NC

ProsOpen source way of doing things. Great work culture

ConsProject specific , you need to land in a good team to enjoy the work.

Worked for Red Hat? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Red Hat reviews and ratings in Raleigh-Durham, NC — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Red Hat CEO Jim Whitehurst. All 72 reviews posted anonymously by Red Hat employees.