Red Hat

Updated November 29, 2014
4.1

Red Hat President & CEO Jim Whitehurst
Jim Whitehurst

Pros
  • It's open source baby (it's still now - subjected to change with the way of growth) (in 85 reviews)

• employee friendly and good work life balance (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Product management wrestling increasing control over upstream open source projects (in 22 reviews)

• There is need for work life balance in Red Hat (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

82 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great people, interesting and challenging work and fun environment

Current Employee - Anonymous in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I have never been bored! As the company has grown and evolved I have seen many challenges. But, everyone has always been willing to roll up their sleeves to help make improvements.

Cons

I honestly cannot contribute to highlighting any cons. That would imply that I have no power over the things that bother me. I have a voice for change at Red Hat.

Continue to stay connected and remain focused on what matters to customers, partners and employees.

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice people, opportunity are there to explore. Lots of young talent right. Open to new ideas on occasion. Good on site perks.

Cons

Low focus on processes and scaling to be larger. Although global, mindset is not. Compensation is lower than market so they need to level the population to keep associates in the near future.

Meritocracy does not equal who is in the inner circle.

Internship program

Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Red Hat as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent work culture, great place to learn, very smart and down - to -earth employees.

Cons

I can't think of any

Good culture, growing company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good culture, decent benefits, young but growing company

Cons

Not much mobility in finance department

Full of opportunities - both technical and leadership

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible work environment, fantastic attitude amongst most of the employees, excellent corporate leadership including CEO, CFO, and CIO

Cons

On occasion, like most companies, there is a bit of politics going on. Not near as bad as many companies I have been at though.

Best work environment I've ever seen

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

People are passionate, committed, and capable. "Dead Weight" is rare on a team. Most teams are flexible and allow you to maintain an excellent work/life balance.

Cons

- While the technology used is often new and interesting, the problems being solved tend to be dry and uninteresting.
    - Development teams have little input about customer requirements/needs
    - There is a large gap of missing information from people in the field versus those designing/building products.
    - Some teams become process heavy and seem to over complicate the work they are doing.
    - Red Hatters tend to be a different sort of people, they are more vocal on what they like/dislike on mailing lists with several sounding "whiny" at times.
    - Company is growing and losing the 'startup' feel

Development teams are often building products with little to no input about the desired customers needs/wants. Product Management (if it is even available) is not gathering enough information from customers and passing it to developers. End result is developers are guessing at details of features without having a good understanding of the customer. It would be helpful if there were ways to increase interactions with those in the field (support/solutions architects/consultants) with the engineering teams. In my experience the teams operate as separate silos with minimal interaction.

The best place to work

Current Employee - Program Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Outstanding office culture, very positive atmosphere. Senior leadership and middle management are open and transparent. Very collaborative work ethic. Managers and coworkers are eager to do what it takes to get the job done. Mostly well defined career paths. Excellent PTO policies as well.

Cons

No major ones and nothing that wouldn't be experienced at other companies. Even the minor cons, like some of the tools we use to do our job aren't the best in the industry, are really minor and could be much worse in other companies.

Great but you have to buy in, and Support/GSS is not easy

Former Employee - Associate Technical Support Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Associate Technical Support Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Red Hat full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They make an effort to keep you comfortable. The benefits are good.

Cons

Pay in support/GSS is 30k less than anywhere else comparable. This is too large a gap.
    Support is way to stressful and evolving to not get stressed out.

In this case, Support/GSS, just pay better. That makes a lot of the other crap easier to take.

Great place to work for Open Source advocates and open-minded people!

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Company culture is awesome if you're an open source advocate. If you're not, it's still a great place to work as long as you keep an open mind. Work is pretty flexible, sometimes even leaving it up to take the initiative to work on valuable projects. Most people are really passionate about what they do, which makes for awesome work life. However, there is also a real balance with life, offering pretty good PTO.

Cons

There seems to be a decline in the importance of Open Source for some people, making it OK to adopt proprietary solutions when convenient. It's probably a side effect of a growing company, where a lot of the people coming in don't have the same vision and passion for Open Source.

Don't let profitability stomp on culture and values. The reason Red Hat is what it is is finding a good business model around supporting Open Source, and continuing to be a leader in the field. If Red Hat starts using proprietary tools internally, what does that say to the rest of the world?

My worst career mistake

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Red Hat (less than an year)

Pros

Brand name company - looks good on your resume; nice corporate office and amenities, especially for younger employees; free parking; training opportunities

Cons

Inexperienced managers of people; not always strategic in their actions; not open to new ideas; caste system from a structure standpoint

Pay attention to why people leave your company and take appropriate action - not every business leader should be leading people