Red Hat Reviews

Reset
3.9
Red Hat President and CEO Jim Whitehurst
Jim Whitehurst

Pros
  • Red Hat is a great place to work if you love open source (in 85 reviews)

• Most teams are flexible and allow you to maintain an excellent work/life balance (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Management needs to be innovative, More time for Open Source to folks in there (in 22 reviews)

• Work-life balance can be frustrating (in 11 reviews)

99% awesome, 1% room for improvement

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company culture: Love the people I work with to pieces. I have the BEST manager. Laid-back culture (i.e., my managers don't care how or where we do our work as long as we get it done--well). Freedom, courage and accountability are the company's touted core values--a lot of it is also about transparency and openness (duh). Also, it's the first and only company I've ever worked at that gave me the impression that the C-level types actually care what we think. Policies are often made/changed based on solicited employee feedback. Good benefits: Quarterly bonuses, stock shares are often doled out as a bonus, 401k, etc. etc. Beer and food: Plenty of events with beer and wine. And food. Lots and lots of food. In-house cafeteria: It's more of a cafe/grill. The salad bar is wonderful. Pizza is, meh. Sandwiches are pretty good, and they toast them for you if you want. I hear the entrees are usually wonderful, as are the soups. There are also tons of amazing places to eat all around the building within walking distance. Game room: Next to the cafe is a game room with pool table, ping pong tables, foosball, video game consoles, couches, air hockey...and even whiteboards, so you can work and play at the same time if needed. ATM: In-house ATM (CFCU). Gym: 10th floor has a gym--one room dedicated mostly to free weights and Nautilus-type machines, the other with treadmills, elliptical machines, stair climbers, etc. The gym has shower/changing rooms, too, and lockers. Wellness and nursing rooms: Rooms are available on several floors for nursing mothers and for anyone who needs a time out. Parking garage: Never have to walk out to your car in the rain. WFH: Some people, depending on your manager, can work from home some. Varies from group to group.

Cons

Salary: Unless you're an engineer or marketing manager and such, don't expect to get the top salary in your local area's range. But a lot of times they make up for it in benefits--especially bonuses. Expense reimbursement: All of a sudden, bam, they started pushing back on it without any warning or heads up, so people are getting burned. This sucks big time and people are pissed. Also, in general the penny-pinching efforts lately are annoying, especially when certain groups get seemingly bottomless corporate cards to spend on extravagant dinners and trips while others have to turn in their parking garage cards and get burned on expenses and can't travel much, etc. Some politics: It's not immune to a few asshats who want to ruin it for the rest of us with their petty politics and BS. But for the most part, people don't subscribe to that stuff. Parking garage: The con is that it's also a public garage, so sometimes you drive for a while looking for a space.

Advice to Management

When it comes to expenses, don't blindside us with new rules that no one was prepared for (cell phone expenses, e.g.). And even the playing field. Obviously, some people require more $$ available for things like traveling, but it's very unfair for certain groups to get to spend frivolously on trips across the country--when they could've easily gone somewhere closer for a team outing--while others get questioned for a $10 charge. Really guys? Diversify: More women. Period. Especially in technical/engineering/IT roles. You need to become more competitive in salary for roles OTHER than engineering.

Three-year perspective

Current Employee - Senior Software Applications Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Software Applications Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Red Hat (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people I work with are great. I have respect for all levels of management that I've had any interactions with. The culture is open, supportive, and understanding of a persons life and goals.

Cons

Pay isn' t necessarily where some competitors are.

3. Recruiter

Current Employee - Recruiter in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Red Hat full-time

Pros

Red Hat has a great culture, they really value their employees, they have a cutting edge product and create a great work environment.

Cons

I honestly can't think of anything.

Pros/Cons

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Red Hat full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stable. financially. Job security much better than average. Nice culture, but culture becoming less important. Good benefits, but no stock compensation and few "soft" benefits.. Technical direction excellent. Trade off between job security and lower pay. Great CEO and former CFO.

Cons

Not a sales-oriented culture. More engineering-focus. Comp for Sales is typically lower than average. Cost cuts everywhere. Great CEO. Lack of turnover of mid-management, atypical of many tech companies. Sort of inbred, primarily for old stack grants and incentives and so on. Limits freash approaches. Little consideration for outside/competitive input and adaptability. Inability to attract top Sales talent. Onboarding process is brutally poor.Top Sales leadership is uninspiring. Would not recommend Red Hat to other salesperson, without more emphasis on Sales, comp, etc.

Advice to Management

- Know the competition, and become more sales-oriented/focused - Openness to new ideas from Sales. - Improve sales processes to execute transactions - Upgrade/Improve Sales Leadership

Great perks/office environment, poor management and morale in HR

Former Employee - Human Resources in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Red Hat full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun/upbeat office environments, company events, encouragement for employees to collaborate and grow.

Cons

Work/life balance. Expectation to be "on call" 24/7, but not paid accordingly. When employees leave, management talks poorly of them. "Open" culture is praised, but only if you agree with upper management and "drink the Kool-Aid." Turnover is high, and they blame it on "not being a good culture fit."

Advice to Management

Don't treat employees with the attitude that they're easily replaceable. When employees keep leaving for the same reasons, perhaps take a look at who is managing those people.

Legal Assistant

Former Employee - Executive Legal Assistant in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Executive Legal Assistant in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Red Hat full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Open environment, Collaborative , respect

Cons

When you have good people you should keep them find places for them, not be so dismissive

Advice to Management

Not everyone can be wicked smart there is a lot to be said for street smarts and common sense it is how you apply your talents that matter not where they came from

8. Awesome company and culture!

Current Employee - Senior Director in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great culture, meritocracy, smart and passionate employees

Cons

Not enough accountability at times

9. Software Developer

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Raleigh, NC
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Red Hat as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great teamwork and work ethic.

Cons

None come to mind at the moment

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work making interns feel part of the team

Not a Great Place to Work

I worked at Red Hat full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I believe the Marketing department has a lot of promise. That may actually be the only department that is actually worth going to.

Cons

Leadership team is a serious embarrassmen. It is simply the blind leading the blind. No one has a clue of what is going on and when you try to tell them or even show them, because they are so clueless of what to do nothing ever happens and they continue to make more of a mess of the entire department. They rather promote and praise those that have no idea of what they are supposed to do, those that don't do a good job, and those that have nothing else to do so they complain about working. However, those that actually work and do a great job at their job get beat down "verbally", belittled, demoted, and unappreciated.

Advice to Management

Hire better managers that actually know what they are supposed to be doing and have experience doing it, instead of just hiring them because they are a friend or a friend of your family. In addition, there should be mandatory management courses and training required for People Team managers as well and not for everyone else in the company excluding People Team as you've been doing. This may help with keeping your talent and getting rid of your slackers. Lastly, get rid of the ridiculous lie that the Talent Aquisition says regarding internal transfers stating, "you can only get a very low % increase no matter what role you go to" even if they are clearly different levels and one role has nothing to do with the other. It is very discouraging.

Decent company, but you won't get rich or move up quickly

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good career cache if you're on the tech side, but not so much if you're on the business side. Good benefits. Semi-flexible working environment. If you love Linux, you've come to the right place. Nice fedoras.

Cons

CEO does a decent job running the company but is largely unseen as compared to other companies I've worked with. With few exceptions senior leadership is sorely lacking. There are VERY few (any?) that I'd categorize as motivational leaders that inspire great work. Mostly they are all managers of their own fiefdoms, fighting for their own interests at the expense of the larger picture. Also - they rarely turn over. Mediocrity is allowed to fester. Therefore there is little natural churn of positions leaving little advancement opportunity. If you've got 20 years, great, but there is no apparent fast track to build your career in 2-year incrementally escalating roles. They just don't open very often.

Advice to Management

The amount of collective time and effort that is spent on internal, inter-business unit issues is staggering. If even half of that energy could be turned outward toward the customer, we'd be 3x the size we are now. Yes, it's cool to work for Red Hat, but find leadership that's going to inspire and motivate people to be better tomorrow than they are today. How about a career development path that moves leaders around between business units? Staying myopic helps no one see the bigger picture and only reinforces the fiefdoms.

RSS Feed </> Embed