Red Hat Reviews

Updated October 14, 2014
4.0

Red Hat President & CEO Jim Whitehurst
Jim Whitehurst

Pros
  • It's open source baby (it's still now - subjected to change with the way of growth) (in 80 reviews)

• Very nice and open culture/environment, lots of bonuses/benefits, flexible working hours, competitive salaries, opportunities to learn/develop/grow (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Product management wrestling increasing control over upstream open source projects (in 22 reviews)

• There is need for work life balance in Red Hat (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Full of opportunities - both technical and leadership

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible work environment, fantastic attitude amongst most of the employees, excellent corporate leadership including CEO, CFO, and CIO

Cons

On occasion, like most companies, there is a bit of politics going on. Not near as bad as many companies I have been at though.

If you need specific experience, yes. Otherwise....

I worked at Red Hat

Pros

Great team attitude. Portal is a really awesome. Projects they get are amazing resume builders.

Cons

Salary was a joke. They low balled me. Hours were insane. My project manager and program manager both quit the company without anyone telling me. I found out from my client.

Get the professional portion of professional services right.

Business Development

Current Employee - Biz Development in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Biz Development in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great culture on the west coast and NE. Southern office a little "old school"

Cons

Not a lot of women in high positions. Old Boys Network. No ESPP

Great but you have to buy in, and Support/GSS is not easy

Former Employee - Associate Technical Support Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Associate Technical Support Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Red Hat full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They make an effort to keep you comfortable. The benefits are good.

Cons

Pay in support/GSS is 30k less than anywhere else comparable. This is too large a gap.
    Support is way to stressful and evolving to not get stressed out.

In this case, Support/GSS, just pay better. That makes a lot of the other crap easier to take.

It's an everyday challenge, but I always get to learn new things. I love being part of the commitment to open source.

Current Employee - Consultant in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As a consultant, you receive decent quarterly bonuses, great stock grants, and your cell phone bill is reimbursed. You can take Red Hat training courses and certification exams for free if you can get a break from your normal job duties to take them. You get to work at a lot of different places, work with really smart and experienced people, and learn new things constantly. I never feel under-challenged.

Cons

The salary could be better, but it's offset with bonuses and perks. As a consultant, you may have to travel a lot, but this is something I personally enjoy. While you learn new things every day, it can also make you feel like a newbie every time you go on a new project because there is always endless new things to learn. You get placed in some very high pressure situations which can be stressful at times. Promotions can be rather difficult unless you are an absolute rockstar.

Better annual increases in salary would make consultants feel like they are worth the effort they are putting into their projects. It seems like managers will give all manner of perks and spot-bonuses before giving a single penny in salary increase. The bar for promotions keeps moving so that it feels nearly unattainable.

Best work environment I've ever seen

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

People are passionate, committed, and capable. "Dead Weight" is rare on a team. Most teams are flexible and allow you to maintain an excellent work/life balance.

Cons

- While the technology used is often new and interesting, the problems being solved tend to be dry and uninteresting.
    - Development teams have little input about customer requirements/needs
    - There is a large gap of missing information from people in the field versus those designing/building products.
    - Some teams become process heavy and seem to over complicate the work they are doing.
    - Red Hatters tend to be a different sort of people, they are more vocal on what they like/dislike on mailing lists with several sounding "whiny" at times.
    - Company is growing and losing the 'startup' feel

Development teams are often building products with little to no input about the desired customers needs/wants. Product Management (if it is even available) is not gathering enough information from customers and passing it to developers. End result is developers are guessing at details of features without having a good understanding of the customer. It would be helpful if there were ways to increase interactions with those in the field (support/solutions architects/consultants) with the engineering teams. In my experience the teams operate as separate silos with minimal interaction.

Great place to work with fun environment and culture

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people and environment are what make Red Hat a great place to work. The company is chock full of incredibly intelligent folks and the majority of them are always willing to lend a hand. Benefits are on par with other companies I've worked for. Your stay at Red Hat is really what you make of it. If you become complacent and are okay with doing the same thing every day, you might not stick around for long but striving to learn and do more is really how you'll thrive.

Cons

The company has been going through some growing pains the past few years. There has definitely been a shift from being the little guy leading a revolution to becoming yet another big company. The culture has suffered from it but compared to other places, it's not bad. You've got both sides of the spectrum now with die-hard FOSS folks on one side and employees who don't even fully understand how Red Hat makes money on the other with most people falling somewhere in between.

Relax and remember that the people behind the scenes are the ones you should be focused on keeping happy.

The best place to work

Current Employee - Program Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Outstanding office culture, very positive atmosphere. Senior leadership and middle management are open and transparent. Very collaborative work ethic. Managers and coworkers are eager to do what it takes to get the job done. Mostly well defined career paths. Excellent PTO policies as well.

Cons

No major ones and nothing that wouldn't be experienced at other companies. Even the minor cons, like some of the tools we use to do our job aren't the best in the industry, are really minor and could be much worse in other companies.

Open Source is a culture

I worked at Red Hat full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Red Hat is a great place to work if you love open source. Most decisions are made based on transparency, openness and how it will impact the community. It is 'in their blood'.

Cons

While transparency is the goal of the company, there are fiefdoms that are about building their kingdoms and not working together. This can be discouraging and what played a role in me leaving.

company culture

I have been working at Red Hat

Pros

great technology
    culture encourages you to find your own path

Cons

A person needs to be able to thrive with frequent change -not necessarily a bad thing...