Red Hat Reviews

Reset
4.0
Red Hat President and CEO Jim Whitehurst
Jim Whitehurst

Pros
  • Red Hat is a great place to work if you love open source (in 85 reviews)

• Most teams are flexible and allow you to maintain an excellent work/life balance (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Management needs to be innovative, More time for Open Source to folks in there (in 22 reviews)

• Work-life balance can be frustrating (in 11 reviews)

1. Awesome!!!!

I have been working at Red Hat

Pros

The Best company I have ever worked for Benefits , Pay , product etc.....

Cons

Nothing so far outside of perhaps a better job building the channel with more VARs. Not enough partners are focused on the emerging products to help bring this value to our customers ....

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and focus on the emerging products outside of RHEL

2. Three-year perspective

Current Employee - Senior Software Applications Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Software Applications Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Red Hat (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people I work with are great. I have respect for all levels of management that I've had any interactions with. The culture is open, supportive, and understanding of a persons life and goals.

Cons

Pay isn' t necessarily where some competitors are.

3. Recruiter

Current Employee - Recruiter in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Red Hat full-time

Pros

Red Hat has a great culture, they really value their employees, they have a cutting edge product and create a great work environment.

Cons

I honestly can't think of anything.

PSE - Fantastic right up until I terminated Red Hat

Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Red Hat full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I worked at RHT 9 years. Red Hat at one time was a place where you had ultimate freedom to define your own career. When I first started and in to about my 7th year I had 100% autonomy. That all changed, and is one of the major motivators in me departing. I am not sure if this was a one off or a company-wide trend. The management team for the most part is competent and looks out for the staff. There are lots of bright people at Red Hat, especially in the OpenStack BU where I worked. Red Hat has the best OpenStack development team in the world, so if that is your focus, there is no better place to land. I learned significantly on Red Hat's dime, especially about team leadership. I'm not sure any other company would have supported my learning experience as effectively. Clearly we can't rerun that experiment ;) Red Hat has a fantastic IRC and mailing list culture designed to implement a globally distributed engineering workforce. This is its greatest pro, especially if you work from home.

Cons

I thought the pay was solid after racking up 8+ years of core+ RSU awards at the PSE level. I honestly didn't think I could earn more, and Cisco offered 100k more total comp (although the job has slightly more responsibility). So I guess the pay is bad, even for highly experienced people, although I can hardly complain - my total comp has 5*'ed in the last 10 years. Red Hat at the PSE and above level is highly political even in engineering, which is fine - its like that everywhere, but if your expecting some daisy dream of no political behavior because Red Hat has open source roots, forget about it. Red Hat values internal influence more then external influence mainly because many if its staff have wide influence over a variety of communities through their actions. Internal influence is highly regarded as a result and highly guarded as well. As Red Hat becomes larger, some managers are out of their depth. In 99% of cases, a manager will do the right thing for the right reason. Then there is the 1% action that results in a terrible outcome that is a mistake even a rookie manager wouldn't dare make. Red Hat believes in the 1:25 philosophy so if you need much hand holding this isn't the place for you. To keep on top of the system, you have to perform, which may mean long hours especially if ramping up on new tech.

Advice to Management

High performance team building 101: 1. give a team a mission impossible 2. 100% autonomy 3. A strong fearless leader with open source experience. Rinse and repeat and your company will become much stronger then it is now. If your a senior directors/VP you should know this already but don't muck in other people's affairs - it just runs off good employees. Split PSE into two grades, or promote PSE to SPSE without an act of god. The PSE rank has a wide variance of skills with people "barely getting by" to people that are ready to leave the company that have not yet plateaued in career growth. There is no technical ladder - it really is not that hard to fix - just add more grades! I'd recommend a grade between SSE and PSE. Cisco calls this grade "Technical Leaders".

6. Good place to work

Current Employee - Community Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Community Manager in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Open transparent org. Open communication. Heavy internal promotion. Remote work OK. Sharing culture core part of corp values.

Cons

Sometimes 20 groups all working on same thing but not together, resulting in multiple implementations most of which won't work.

Pros/Cons

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Red Hat full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stable. financially. Job security much better than average. Nice culture, but culture becoming less important. Good benefits, but no stock compensation and few "soft" benefits.. Technical direction excellent. Trade off between job security and lower pay. Great CEO and former CFO.

Cons

Not a sales-oriented culture. More engineering-focus. Comp for Sales is typically lower than average. Cost cuts everywhere. Great CEO. Lack of turnover of mid-management, atypical of many tech companies. Sort of inbred, primarily for old stack grants and incentives and so on. Limits freash approaches. Little consideration for outside/competitive input and adaptability. Inability to attract top Sales talent. Onboarding process is brutally poor.Top Sales leadership is uninspiring. Would not recommend Red Hat to other salesperson, without more emphasis on Sales, comp, etc.

Advice to Management

- Know the competition, and become more sales-oriented/focused - Openness to new ideas from Sales. - Improve sales processes to execute transactions - Upgrade/Improve Sales Leadership

8. principal engineer

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Westford, MA
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Westford, MA

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

A large part of the staff is remote. For the most part, the company doesn't have the Yahoo approach. Remotees are fine. Good work environment. Fairly easy to get promoted to mid level ranks. Many on-site perks but those will vary at each site and don't exist for remotees. Usually no problem getting decent hardware, multiple monitors, etc for work. Can have flexible hours.

Cons

No stock purchase plan. While variable pay seems better than most companies, total compensation under par with competitors. Once Red Hat falters (and it will eventually), variable pay ( bonuses) will shrink. RSU's are now very limited. Receiving the max that upper management would let me for my job category/rank, my recent grant was 1/3 of my previous grant. First level managers are generally inexperienced and untrained. Mid level managers are people hired from other companies like IBM, EMC, etc. Because of this, the culture has changed and continues to change for the worse. Currently the company is experiencing cost cutting akin to what you would see at IBM. For such a small company, the CEO is wildly overpayed. Seems more of a trophy rather than someone who is was brought in to make things happen. The board doesn't give the CEO aggressive goals but instead things a VP might have for a goal, such as "roll out RHEL 7". The opensource nature of the technology means the technology drives itself in the market. Unfortunately middle management and above are skimming a huge percentage of these gains to the detriment of shareholders and the rank and file. Training is great if you are at a site, but nonexistent if you are remote. Promotion paths beyond a mid level rank don't exist. Transparency is dwindling. Often conversations are started between management and employees over topics that would affect employees. You would think this is transparency. However, this is management going through the motions because they already know what actions they intend to take. There is no more transparency between rank and file and managers than any other company. The company has the same political problems like other companies. Work/life balance is more work than life and it's expected. You'll see people working 12 hour days into the evenings and showing up on IRC on Saturdays and Sundays.

Advice to Management

Five years ago, I would rank the company with 4 or 5 stars. I'll rank it 3 (2.5 if it was an option) now because it's just another company.

99% awesome, 1% room for improvement

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company culture: Love the people I work with to pieces. I have the BEST manager. Laid-back culture (i.e., my managers don't care how or where we do our work as long as we get it done--well). Freedom, courage and accountability are the company's touted core values--a lot of it is also about transparency and openness (duh). Also, it's the first and only company I've ever worked at that gave me the impression that the C-level types actually care what we think. Policies are often made/changed based on solicited employee feedback. Good benefits: Quarterly bonuses, stock shares are often doled out as a bonus, 401k, etc. etc. Beer and food: Plenty of events with beer and wine. And food. Lots and lots of food. In-house cafeteria: It's more of a cafe/grill. The salad bar is wonderful. Pizza is, meh. Sandwiches are pretty good, and they toast them for you if you want. I hear the entrees are usually wonderful, as are the soups. There are also tons of amazing places to eat all around the building within walking distance. Game room: Next to the cafe is a game room with pool table, ping pong tables, foosball, video game consoles, couches, air hockey...and even whiteboards, so you can work and play at the same time if needed. ATM: In-house ATM (CFCU). Gym: 10th floor has a gym--one room dedicated mostly to free weights and Nautilus-type machines, the other with treadmills, elliptical machines, stair climbers, etc. The gym has shower/changing rooms, too, and lockers. Wellness and nursing rooms: Rooms are available on several floors for nursing mothers and for anyone who needs a time out. Parking garage: Never have to walk out to your car in the rain. WFH: Some people, depending on your manager, can work from home some. Varies from group to group.

Cons

Salary: Unless you're an engineer or marketing manager and such, don't expect to get the top salary in your local area's range. But a lot of times they make up for it in benefits--especially bonuses. Expense reimbursement: All of a sudden, bam, they started pushing back on it without any warning or heads up, so people are getting burned. This sucks big time and people are pissed. Also, in general the penny-pinching efforts lately are annoying, especially when certain groups get seemingly bottomless corporate cards to spend on extravagant dinners and trips while others have to turn in their parking garage cards and get burned on expenses and can't travel much, etc. Some politics: It's not immune to a few asshats who want to ruin it for the rest of us with their petty politics and BS. But for the most part, people don't subscribe to that stuff. Parking garage: The con is that it's also a public garage, so sometimes you drive for a while looking for a space.

Advice to Management

When it comes to expenses, don't blindside us with new rules that no one was prepared for (cell phone expenses, e.g.). And even the playing field. Obviously, some people require more $$ available for things like traveling, but it's very unfair for certain groups to get to spend frivolously on trips across the country--when they could've easily gone somewhere closer for a team outing--while others get questioned for a $10 charge. Really guys? Diversify: More women. Period. Especially in technical/engineering/IT roles. You need to become more competitive in salary for roles OTHER than engineering.

Really great company.

I worked at Red Hat full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Culture, culture, culture. Smart people. Solid company.

Cons

Management can slack on setting clear goals, objectives and development.

Great perks/office environment, poor management and morale in HR

Former Employee - Human Resources in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Red Hat full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun/upbeat office environments, company events, encouragement for employees to collaborate and grow.

Cons

Work/life balance. Expectation to be "on call" 24/7, but not paid accordingly. When employees leave, management talks poorly of them. "Open" culture is praised, but only if you agree with upper management and "drink the Kool-Aid." Turnover is high, and they blame it on "not being a good culture fit."

Advice to Management

Don't treat employees with the attitude that they're easily replaceable. When employees keep leaving for the same reasons, perhaps take a look at who is managing those people.

RSS Feed </> Embed