Red Hat Reviews

Reset
4.0
Red Hat President and CEO Jim Whitehurst
Jim Whitehurst

Pros
  • Red Hat is a great place to work if you love open source (in 85 reviews)

• Most teams are flexible and allow you to maintain an excellent work/life balance (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Management needs to be innovative, More time for Open Source to folks in there (in 22 reviews)

• Work-life balance can be frustrating (in 11 reviews)

Wouldn't have it any other way

Current Employee - Principal Solutions Architect
    Current Employee - Principal Solutions Architect

Pros

Red Hat is the absolute best technology company I've worked for in 20 years. The culture and atmosphere are outstanding, and most everyone believes in what we're doing and loves being here. 100% recommended to friends and family!

Cons

nothing to report at this time

Not too shabby

I have been working at Red Hat full-time

Pros

Stock options, Remote working, Flexible schedules, Travel.

Cons

Oracle system is terrible, expenses are a nightmare, red tape everywhere. Sometimes too much travel, and very very little time off.

3. Consulting organization is VERY DIFFERENT than the rest of the organization

Pros

Open Source tech, passionate people

Cons

Hours, management, consultants are not the friendliest people (see: not personable)

Advice to Management

Make the consulting organization more like the rest of the organization

5. Company review

Pros

innovative open source company, works on latest technologies.

Cons

Not so good compensation benefits

6. Excellent place to win

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

RHT has a suite of products that are taking over the entire data center, way beyond OS. Amazing mobile strategy. Some of the smartest people in the biz. Folks have the highest respect for technical and field resources. Comfortable travel policy. A "family-like" culture.

Cons

Sometimes it's hard to find exactly what you need as there is a lot of tribal knowledge. Awful SSO for internal systems.

Advice to Management

You're doing the right things. Continue to be accessible. Keep up the intensity for our products to catch up with our stories.

7. It has potential BUT

I worked at Red Hat (More than 5 years)

Pros

Interesting work and interesting co-workers.

Cons

The highest levels of management don't walk the talk. Not as "open" as advertised during the interview process. I always hoped Jim Whitehurst coming aboard as CEO could turn things around in this regard, and to the extent he has made some small differences, it has been slow going.

8. Great place to work

I have been working at Red Hat (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Career growth opportunities -Flexible hours, ability to work remotely

Cons

-Politics within the mid-level management

Its OK!!

Pros

Red hat is doing extremely well. Great vision and excellent products that are very relevant. So it's a very stable company to work for. Undoubtedly the best brand to have on your resume. Great engineering culture with lot of flexibility.

Cons

I love Redhat as a company and brand and it's sad to write the following. The benefits are really sub par. Salaries are not bad but not top of the market either. The facilities are a real pain. They cut costs for every minute thing including parking, shared cubicles, phones etc. So don't expect a rosy environment. It's always cost over convenience. The middle management can be very inexperienced. If you end up under a supervisor it's basically working with another engineer with basic to none management skills. It's a sad place to be. As other review say the engineering ladder is broken. There needs to be more levels between senior and principal software engineer. Once you're principal forget about promotions. Not the best place to work anymore for sure. Not even close.

Advice to Management

Redhat is doing very well, loosen the pockets and stop acting so cheap in every possible way. It's so annoying. Trust the employees and give them some freedom. Provide better manager training. Some supervisors are pathetic. Pay employees well and improve benefits. Become the Redhat I dreamt to work for.

Avoid consulting

Former Employee - Associate Consultant in Tysons Corner, VA
    Former Employee - Associate Consultant in Tysons Corner, VA

I worked at Red Hat full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- There is a lot to learn and some of the senior consultants will do their best to take you under their wing and teach you everything they know. - There is a lot of room to grow here professionally. If you are constantly on short stent projects you will learn a lot in a very short time, much more than other jobs - Travel can be a plus, especially in the short term.

Cons

- Salary is below market and expect to be making what you started with until you leave. If they like you they will give you stock every 6 months but it is only to try and retain you as it vests a little every year. - They seem to be a lot more focused on people who are good at BSing to clients than those who are excellent coders and get work done. There is a lot of favoritism toward the first half so the doers tend to get screwed over and treated like crap while the others get promoted straight up the chain. - Work-life balance is extremely poor, especially if you are traveling. You should expect to live out of a suit case for most of the time you work here and expect to be putting in long hours all the time as Red Hat tends to take on very demanding clients. - It is very easy to get lost in the system. I ended up on a project where the client kept extending my contract and because of that my managers seemed to forget about me. I no longer had my yearly review, salary discussions, etc. It was also impossible to get off of the project because it was bringing in too much revenue despite the fact I wasn't learning anything and was completely bored. - Getting promoted is next to impossible unless you are a favorite

Advice to Management

Start caring more about your technical employees. Red Hat Consulting seems to be too focused on those who can manage a client well instead of those who would make a great architect or developer. The company is very lopsided towards the first instead of having a nice balance between the two. Also, pay your employees more, especially if they are expected to be on around the clock. Overtime pay is not a valid excuse when you are making almost 50% or more in profit on some employees.

99% awesome, 1% room for improvement

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company culture: Love the people I work with to pieces. I have the BEST manager. Laid-back culture (i.e., my managers don't care how or where we do our work as long as we get it done--well). Freedom, courage and accountability are the company's touted core values--a lot of it is also about transparency and openness (duh). Also, it's the first and only company I've ever worked at that gave me the impression that the C-level types actually care what we think. Policies are often made/changed based on solicited employee feedback. Good benefits: Quarterly bonuses, stock shares are often doled out as a bonus, 401k, etc. etc. Beer and food: Plenty of events with beer and wine. And food. Lots and lots of food. In-house cafeteria: It's more of a cafe/grill. The salad bar is wonderful. Pizza is, meh. Sandwiches are pretty good, and they toast them for you if you want. I hear the entrees are usually wonderful, as are the soups. There are also tons of amazing places to eat all around the building within walking distance. Game room: Next to the cafe is a game room with pool table, ping pong tables, foosball, video game consoles, couches, air hockey...and even whiteboards, so you can work and play at the same time if needed. ATM: In-house ATM (CFCU). Gym: 10th floor has a gym--one room dedicated mostly to free weights and Nautilus-type machines, the other with treadmills, elliptical machines, stair climbers, etc. The gym has shower/changing rooms, too, and lockers. Wellness and nursing rooms: Rooms are available on several floors for nursing mothers and for anyone who needs a time out. Parking garage: Never have to walk out to your car in the rain. WFH: Some people, depending on your manager, can work from home some. Varies from group to group.

Cons

Salary: Unless you're an engineer or marketing manager and such, don't expect to get the top salary in your local area's range. But a lot of times they make up for it in benefits--especially bonuses. Expense reimbursement: All of a sudden, bam, they started pushing back on it without any warning or heads up, so people are getting burned. This sucks big time and people are pissed. Also, in general the penny-pinching efforts lately are annoying, especially when certain groups get seemingly bottomless corporate cards to spend on extravagant dinners and trips while others have to turn in their parking garage cards and get burned on expenses and can't travel much, etc. Some politics: It's not immune to a few asshats who want to ruin it for the rest of us with their petty politics and BS. But for the most part, people don't subscribe to that stuff. Parking garage: The con is that it's also a public garage, so sometimes you drive for a while looking for a space.

Advice to Management

When it comes to expenses, don't blindside us with new rules that no one was prepared for (cell phone expenses, e.g.). And even the playing field. Obviously, some people require more $$ available for things like traveling, but it's very unfair for certain groups to get to spend frivolously on trips across the country--when they could've easily gone somewhere closer for a team outing--while others get questioned for a $10 charge. Really guys? Diversify: More women. Period. Especially in technical/engineering/IT roles. You need to become more competitive in salary for roles OTHER than engineering.

RSS Feed </> Embed