Red Hat

www.redhat.com

Red Hat Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2014's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.

Pros
  • It's open source baby (it's still now - subjected to change with the way of growth)(in 75 reviews)

• Very nice and open culture/environment, lots of bonuses/benefits, flexible working hours, competitive salaries, opportunities to learn/develop/grow(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Product management wrestling increasing control over upstream open source projects(in 22 reviews)

• There is need for work life balance in Red Hat(in 9 reviews)

Great opportunity for those who look for it!

Field Account Manager (Current Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsExcellent work atmosphere, great cafeteria and game room to relax in when needed. Downtown location is great for entertaining clients and potential customers. Management on most teams are very supportive and excited to have intelligent, energetic people working for them.

ConsGetting qualified people hired via referrals is tough (Recruiters -)
    Growing pains mostly, lack of great communication between departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementVet your recruiters better and continue to invest and believe in your employees!

Great company, great co-workers

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsPeople are excited about the work they're doing. Lots of freedom to do the right thing. Open source mentality cuts out a lot (but not all) of the bureaucratic nonsense. The office and work environment are nice, modern and a lot of fun.

ConsLots of systems to work with, and not all of them are well-integrated, leading to patchwork business processes, questions about ownership, and some duplicated effort between teams.

Great Workplace, Awesome people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEveryone around is motivating and talented. The company is very unique in it's own way. Flexible timings and good facilities

ConsThe work isn't challenging enough.

Advice to Senior Management--

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A company that really understands how to use technology in the modern workplace

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsThere is no salary cap that forces a jump from engineering to management.
    Management makes effective use of communications (email, chat, phone, video-conference) to ensure that remotees are plugged into whats going on.
    Most development groups allow remote employees
    Upper management seems to be managing for the long haul as opposed to targeting the next earning call.
    Even though we're pushing 6000 employees, we haven't quite lost the feel of a startup. It's not quite as loose and crazy as it was in 2000 but it's not shirt-and-tie corporate America either.
    No "that's not your job" culture. People tend to jump in an fix something rather than trying to push it off on someone else.

ConsStill see a reluctance to hire US engineers, probably due to salary/benefits issues. That being said, if someone is well-known in their field, space can be made.

Advice to Senior ManagementMight want to make an effort to get remotees to some of the big Linux/JBoss conferences, just to have them meet other team members or people in the community. Travel budgets have been especially tight...
    Tell HR to quit renaming themselves. Nothing wrong with being called Human Resources or *gasp* Personnel.
    I realize that we have to have reviews; it would be nice if it didn't require that we take classes to learn how to do the reviews. As you may have guessed, I'm an engineer and you pay me to write code, not fill out forms.

Lots of opportunity to work on open source, poorly run internal projects and products.

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Westford, MA

ProsRed Hat is committed to open source development and if you want to work in that environment and not have a company hassle you about participating in the open source community, Red Hat is good.

ConsVery weak regional office representation. Weak brand identity in the software industry. Confusion among customers about what Red Hat does (Linux? JBoss? Something with Cloud?). Little to no recognition for significant project contributions. Low pay for the industry and very low raises. No guidance for career path and impossible internal mobility.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease investment in associates. Pay and benefits should be more competitive for the industry. Guidance and plans should be in place for people wanting to grow their career. Internal mobility should be possible.

Best place I have ever worked

Technical Support Engineer (Current Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsGreat team, Great company, Awesome job.

ConsStarting pay is not very competitive.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Red Hat is a great place to work

Sales Account Manager (Current Employee) Toledo, OH

ProsAwesome culture, great people, just a great company to work for

ConsCompensation is not that of an Enterprise Software Company

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not try to change the culture, we are open source not a proprietary software company. Stop trying to turn us into one!

Smart people and fun work!

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsAble to work remotely on flexible hours. Management does a good job of keeping the red tape off you plate and just wants you to succeed.

ConsIf you are new to open source or just new to the company there are lot of things that should be listed in a beginners guide. Like how we use git or maven central. The knowledge is there it is just silo'ed. At least if you ask people are willing to share.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't let us down. :-) We depend on you as much as you depend on us.

Looks better from the outside

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood compensation.
    Benefits are good.
    They invest in training people which is better than the industry norm.

ConsPoor sales management.
    Lack of vision to grow company.
    It's a political albatross, make sure you kiss ass to management or there will be repercussions.
    RH looks for followers, not leaders. Sales management is the classic, 'Emperor wearing no clothes'....best to collect your (very well compensated) paycheck than try to make positive changes.
    Long term future is very dim once the maintenance renewals start slowing down.

Advice to Senior ManagementPick a strategic direction and commit to it. The future looks bleak...how much more Unix is there to convert to Linux, and with Cloud, what is the strategy to drive revenue to $3B???

excellent place to work and grow

Sales Account Manager (Current Employee) Washington, DC

Prosfreedom to do what you think is best

Conslack of structure can hurt some people

Worked for Red Hat? Contribute to the Community!