Red Hat Reviews

Reset
4.1
Red Hat President and CEO Jim Whitehurst
Jim Whitehurst

Pros
  • Red Hat is a great place to work if you love open source (in 85 reviews)

• Most teams are flexible and allow you to maintain an excellent work/life balance (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Management needs to be innovative, More time for Open Source to folks in there (in 22 reviews)

• Work-life balance can be frustrating (in 11 reviews)

Great opportunity for those who look for it!

Current Employee - Field Account Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Field Account Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent work atmosphere, great cafeteria and game room to relax in when needed. Downtown location is great for entertaining clients and potential customers. Management on most teams are very supportive and excited to have intelligent, energetic people working for them.

Cons

Getting qualified people hired via referrals is tough (Recruiters -) Growing pains mostly, lack of great communication between departments.

Advice to Management

Vet your recruiters better and continue to invest and believe in your employees!

2. Great company, great co-workers

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People are excited about the work they're doing. Lots of freedom to do the right thing. Open source mentality cuts out a lot (but not all) of the bureaucratic nonsense. The office and work environment are nice, modern and a lot of fun.

Cons

Lots of systems to work with, and not all of them are well-integrated, leading to patchwork business processes, questions about ownership, and some duplicated effort between teams.

A company that really understands how to use technology in the modern workplace

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There is no salary cap that forces a jump from engineering to management. Management makes effective use of communications (email, chat, phone, video-conference) to ensure that remotees are plugged into whats going on. Most development groups allow remote employees Upper management seems to be managing for the long haul as opposed to targeting the next earning call. Even though we're pushing 6000 employees, we haven't quite lost the feel of a startup. It's not quite as loose and crazy as it was in 2000 but it's not shirt-and-tie corporate America either. No "that's not your job" culture. People tend to jump in an fix something rather than trying to push it off on someone else.

Cons

Still see a reluctance to hire US engineers, probably due to salary/benefits issues. That being said, if someone is well-known in their field, space can be made.

Advice to Management

Might want to make an effort to get remotees to some of the big Linux/JBoss conferences, just to have them meet other team members or people in the community. Travel budgets have been especially tight... Tell HR to quit renaming themselves. Nothing wrong with being called Human Resources or *gasp* Personnel. I realize that we have to have reviews; it would be nice if it didn't require that we take classes to learn how to do the reviews. As you may have guessed, I'm an engineer and you pay me to write code, not fill out forms.

Lots of opportunity to work on open source, poorly run internal projects and products.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Westford, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Westford, MA

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Red Hat is committed to open source development and if you want to work in that environment and not have a company hassle you about participating in the open source community, Red Hat is good.

Cons

Very weak regional office representation. Weak brand identity in the software industry. Confusion among customers about what Red Hat does (Linux? JBoss? Something with Cloud?). Little to no recognition for significant project contributions. Low pay for the industry and very low raises. No guidance for career path and impossible internal mobility.

Advice to Management

Increase investment in associates. Pay and benefits should be more competitive for the industry. Guidance and plans should be in place for people wanting to grow their career. Internal mobility should be possible.

Great Workplace, Awesome people

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Red Hat as an intern

Pros

Everyone around is motivating and talented. The company is very unique in it's own way. Flexible timings and good facilities

Cons

The work isn't challenging enough.

7. Best place I have ever worked

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great team, Great company, Awesome job.

Cons

Starting pay is not very competitive.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

Smart people and fun work!

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Able to work remotely on flexible hours. Management does a good job of keeping the red tape off you plate and just wants you to succeed.

Cons

If you are new to open source or just new to the company there are lot of things that should be listed in a beginners guide. Like how we use git or maven central. The knowledge is there it is just silo'ed. At least if you ask people are willing to share.

Advice to Management

Don't let us down. :-) We depend on you as much as you depend on us.

Looks better from the outside

I worked at Red Hat full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good compensation. Benefits are good. They invest in training people which is better than the industry norm.

Cons

Poor sales management. Lack of vision to grow company. It's a political albatross, make sure you kiss ass to management or there will be repercussions. RH looks for followers, not leaders. Sales management is the classic, 'Emperor wearing no clothes'....best to collect your (very well compensated) paycheck than try to make positive changes. Long term future is very dim once the maintenance renewals start slowing down.

Advice to Management

Pick a strategic direction and commit to it. The future looks bleak...how much more Unix is there to convert to Linux, and with Cloud, what is the strategy to drive revenue to $3B???

Red Hat is a great place to work

Current Employee - Sales Account Manager in Toledo, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Account Manager in Toledo, OH

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome culture, great people, just a great company to work for

Cons

Compensation is not that of an Enterprise Software Company

Advice to Management

Do not try to change the culture, we are open source not a proprietary software company. Stop trying to turn us into one!

11. excellent place to work and grow

Current Employee - Sales Account Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Sales Account Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Red Hat full-time

Pros

freedom to do what you think is best

Cons

lack of structure can hurt some people

RSS Feed </> Embed