Red Hat Reviews

Reset
4.0
Red Hat President and CEO Jim Whitehurst
Jim Whitehurst

Pros
  • Red Hat is a great place to work if you love open source (in 85 reviews)

• Most teams are flexible and allow you to maintain an excellent work/life balance (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Management needs to be innovative, More time for Open Source to folks in there (in 22 reviews)

• Work-life balance can be frustrating (in 11 reviews)

Red Hat, a place to work if you want to change the world!

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Raleigh, NC

Pros

It's a place where you can really make a change in this world! With so many companies being a true example of "the office" Red Hat is one of the few places where an individual has no limits to what they can do. Being the leader in open source creates some truly different views inside the company, with a "can do" attitude flourishing. There is no task to big and no competitor to scary.

Cons

Sometimes pressure is high and it is a VERY fast changing environment - so don't come here if you don't like change :). Red Hat firmly believes in eating it's own dog food - so expect to get a culture shock if you came from a cushy MS world filled with Windows, Office & Exchange.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! Let's be the defining technology company of the 21st century!

Even with the challenges of a growing company, Red Hat is *hands down* the best place I've ever worked.

Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Austin, TX

Pros

I love the fact that even though we are a publicly traded, for profit company, we do pretty much all of our software development in and for the Free/Open Source community. We contribute everything back to the community. Everyone benefits. Even our "competitors" have access to our work, but that's not the point. We spread our wealth to the rest of the world so that even the least wealthy parts of the world have access to the latest technology. We have contributed to numerous projects like One Laptop per Child at a loss just so that we can be good citizens. I am not just allowed but encouraged to do community work like presentations, papers and documentation. I love it here.

Cons

We are so over-tasked. Every day feels like drinking from a fire hose, and it seems that every time I ask another team about their timelines or projects I hear that they are short handed.

Advice to Management

I know that we are always looking at the bottom line, but if we really want to grow to a half a billion or even a billion dollar company, we need to grow our pre- and post-release engineering staff. I hear over and over from our top accounts how fast we are to answer simple questions but how terribly slow it is to get bugs fixed. I see how many delays and fits and starts there are on some technologies and I am told it's because of how short handed we are. We need to grow!

Join one of the few defining technology companies of the 21st century, and really enjoy your work

Current Employee - Channel Account Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Channel Account Manager in Mountain View, CA

Pros

1) Red Hat is THE leader in open source, a disruptive technology trend that continues to accelerate. 2) Consistent growth (~25% year over year) 3) Great opportunity to contribute and impact the business 4) Bright, capable colleagues 5) Great corporate culture that promotes respect and collegiality versus infighting and backstabbing

Cons

1) internal systems / processes are disorganized. Feels like a 2500 person start-up 2) If working remotely, not so clear what career advancement will be like.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing -- overall you are doing a great job. And continue to provide the overall structure / goals for the company while staying out of the way and letting employees take initiative and responsibility to continue to grow the business.

5. Interviewing

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Pros

The recruiter was very diligent in getting back to me about the status of the role which is rare in times like this where jobs are always going back and forth between open or closed

Cons

The jobs are always open or closed and that stinks but I think every employer to an extent is in the same situation.

Advice to Management

Get a hiring plan together and stick with it

6. Excellent Place to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Pros

Red Hat is still a growing company. Though not in full start up mode any longer, it still maintains the sense of entrepreneurial-ship prevalent at most startups. However, it also has enough process in place to prevent total chaos.

Cons

The same reason that makes it a pro can also make it a con. As a company grows, the ecosystem has to adjust to change, and many times those changes can be challenging.

Advice to Management

Rely on the expertise that you have hired from the industry and lean on it to make the important and critical decision to keep the company growing and moving forward.

I love to work every day with the most intelligent and engaged people I have ever met.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Pros

Collaborative atmosphere for every position, value of family as the first priority in life, opportunity to affect the direction of the company from every level.

Cons

Formal internal training program is not quite mature yet so you have to constantly be on the lookout for outside opportunities of to develop yourself.

Sales

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Excellent opportunities for growth and wonderful culture

Cons

Base salary lower than average, stock awards are not as lucrative as others,

Advice to Management

Increase base salary and provide more stock options

A wonderful learning experience

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Red Hat full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very open and you can learn a lot and work your way up if you are determined and hard working.

Cons

There can be a lot of bickering inside the company, especially between sales and support, but if you just ignore that and work hard it won't really affect you.

Advice to Management

Stop relying on being an open source company to bring in people and using it as an excuse to not pay competitively. Red Hat is a great way to start a career in Open Source, but as soon as you are established look somewhere else to be paid what you are worth.

Fantastic place to work at!

Current Employee - IT Consultant in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - IT Consultant in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get to work with the brightest people in the IT industry. Pay is not bad and your get to work with fantastic open source software.

Cons

Internal process is not well defined.

Great culture, good talent, growing pains

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Collaborative environment Mid-level management is involved and responsive Real value is placed on software Development staff is very talented Transparency is a priority Embraces technology market shifts Contributes to the community

Cons

Compensation not competitive in some areas Rapid growth is stretching management and infrastructure resources Limited career growth in some departments

Advice to Management

Making good progress, but walls between departments still exist and hamper rapid progress.

RSS Feed </> Embed