Red Hat Reviews

Updated September 4, 2014
4.1

Red Hat President & CEO Jim Whitehurst
Jim Whitehurst

Pros
  • It's open source baby (it's still now - subjected to change with the way of growth) (in 77 reviews)

• Very nice and open culture/environment, lots of bonuses/benefits, flexible working hours, competitive salaries, opportunities to learn/develop/grow (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Product management wrestling increasing control over upstream open source projects (in 22 reviews)

• There is need for work life balance in Red Hat (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Red Hat is perfect!

Current Employee - Senior Support Engineer  in  São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)
    Current Employee - Senior Support Engineer in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

I have been working at Red Hat full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Red Hat is perfect! Red Hat is a great place to work!

Cons

No cons. Red Hat is perfect!

Best work environment I've ever seen

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Red Hat full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

People are passionate, committed, and capable. "Dead Weight" is rare on a team. Most teams are flexible and allow you to maintain an excellent work/life balance.

Cons

- While the technology used is often new and interesting, the problems being solved tend to be dry and uninteresting.
    - Development teams have little input about customer requirements/needs
    - There is a large gap of missing information from people in the field versus those designing/building products.
    - Some teams become process heavy and seem to over complicate the work they are doing.
    - Red Hatters tend to be a different sort of people, they are more vocal on what they like/dislike on mailing lists with several sounding "whiny" at times.
    - Company is growing and losing the 'startup' feel

Development teams are often building products with little to no input about the desired customers needs/wants. Product Management (if it is even available) is not gathering enough information from customers and passing it to developers. End result is developers are guessing at details of features without having a good understanding of the customer. It would be helpful if there were ways to increase interactions with those in the field (support/solutions architects/consultants) with the engineering teams. In my experience the teams operate as separate silos with minimal interaction.

Great place to work with fun environment and culture

I have been working at Red Hat full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people and environment are what make Red Hat a great place to work. The company is chock full of incredibly intelligent folks and the majority of them are always willing to lend a hand. Benefits are on par with other companies I've worked for. Your stay at Red Hat is really what you make of it. If you become complacent and are okay with doing the same thing every day, you might not stick around for long but striving to learn and do more is really how you'll thrive.

Cons

The company has been going through some growing pains the past few years. There has definitely been a shift from being the little guy leading a revolution to becoming yet another big company. The culture has suffered from it but compared to other places, it's not bad. You've got both sides of the spectrum now with die-hard FOSS folks on one side and employees who don't even fully understand how Red Hat makes money on the other with most people falling somewhere in between.

Relax and remember that the people behind the scenes are the ones you should be focused on keeping happy.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The best place to work

Current Employee - Program Manager  in  Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Red Hat full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Outstanding office culture, very positive atmosphere. Senior leadership and middle management are open and transparent. Very collaborative work ethic. Managers and coworkers are eager to do what it takes to get the job done. Mostly well defined career paths. Excellent PTO policies as well.

Cons

No major ones and nothing that wouldn't be experienced at other companies. Even the minor cons, like some of the tools we use to do our job aren't the best in the industry, are really minor and could be much worse in other companies.

Great environment!

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Red Hat full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits and welfare
    The org practices transparency

Cons

None that I can recall

Working with a group of geeky and talented people

Current Employee - Software Engineering Intern
    Current Employee - Software Engineering Intern

I have been working at Red Hat as an intern for less than a year

Pros

People are very talented and very strong at programming/engineering. Working from home is a big benefit. Projects are under rapid development.

Cons

Maybe there should be more communication between departments. And employeee needs a good balance between life and work.

There may need to be a more clear product plan or milestone.

Great place to work for Open Source advocates and open-minded people!

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Red Hat full-time for less than a year

Pros

Company culture is awesome if you're an open source advocate. If you're not, it's still a great place to work as long as you keep an open mind. Work is pretty flexible, sometimes even leaving it up to take the initiative to work on valuable projects. Most people are really passionate about what they do, which makes for awesome work life. However, there is also a real balance with life, offering pretty good PTO.

Cons

There seems to be a decline in the importance of Open Source for some people, making it OK to adopt proprietary solutions when convenient. It's probably a side effect of a growing company, where a lot of the people coming in don't have the same vision and passion for Open Source.

Don't let profitability stomp on culture and values. The reason Red Hat is what it is is finding a good business model around supporting Open Source, and continuing to be a leader in the field. If Red Hat starts using proprietary tools internally, what does that say to the rest of the world?

Great company to be a part of.

Current Employee - Senior QA Engineer  in  Brno (Czech Republic)
    Current Employee - Senior QA Engineer in Brno (Czech Republic)

I have been working at Red Hat full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very nice and open culture/environment, lots of bonuses/benefits, flexible working hours, competitive salaries, opportunities to learn/develop/grow.

Cons

Not much really. I'm optimistic about the company's future in general. Although, sometimes the decisions made by the upper management strike me as not entirely in "sync " with the company's open source/mind/culture path.

Keep on preserving the open culture RH is famous for.

Good start of career

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Supervisor  in  Brno (Czech Republic)
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Supervisor in Brno (Czech Republic)

I have been working at Red Hat full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Very good company culture, options of personal growth, working conditions, you have your career in your own hands (If you want).

Cons

Pay is not so competitive, other benefits can outweight this, but I'm not staying here for the money.

Red Hat provided me with a wonderful internship opportunity!

Former Employee - Human Resources  in  Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Red Hat as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I was only a part of the company for four short months but during that time I got a great taste of what working at Red Hat entails. The culture is truly something a college grad dreams of working in! There is never a dull moment or boring day. The team does a lot together, not only in the workplace but after hours as well. It is somewhere that makes everyone, even the interns feel like a part of the team.

Cons

Since finishing my internship with Red Hat I have not been able to find an entry level position on the business side of things. That is not really a "con" but it would be amazing to land a full-time position with such a great company.

More entry level positions available and a way to notify interested applicants when positions become available would be great!

Worked for Red Hat? Contribute to the Community!