Red Hat

Updated January 25, 2015
4.1

Red Hat President & CEO Jim Whitehurst
Jim Whitehurst

Pros
  • It's open source baby (it's still now - subjected to change with the way of growth) (in 85 reviews)

• employee friendly and good work life balance (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Product management wrestling increasing control over upstream open source projects (in 22 reviews)

• There is need for work life balance in Red Hat (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Internship program

Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Red Hat as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Excellent work culture, great place to learn, very smart and down - to -earth employees.

Cons

I can't think of any

Good culture, growing company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good culture, decent benefits, young but growing company

Cons

Not much mobility in finance department

The dream vs. The reality...

Former Employee - Territory Account Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Territory Account Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Red Hat full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fast paced, friendly, cutting-edge technology, exceptional space for company growth, competitive pay and benefits, the ability to offer your technology customers valuable options.

Cons

Kludgy processes lead to a rudderless feel. Countless, mis-matched internal tools create a massive time suck. Internal policies are poorly communicated. Management promotions appear to be based on seniority and/or nepotism vs. qualifications. Managers are rewarded for instituting/perpetuating a status-quo culture- despite a company mission directly counter to such behavior. Too many 'what the heck does that job title mean' jobs being created, indicating mission creep/ turf growth...

Senior management: Engage more frequently with line staff. Quarterly platitudes are a poor substitute for keeping your finger on the pulse of the business. Dip your heads into the business- sales specifically, and identify which managers are driving business 'The Red Hat Way' and which are treading water in an effort to hold onto an unmerited income while making management decisions often contrary to the company's best interests.

On paper, Red Hat is an ideal company. In reality, the dream is subverted by self-serving actors. The only way for the company to overcome this weakness is for senior management to fully engage in the business and hold middle management accountable. Haha;). Current executive compensation being what it is- the party line is "keep smiling and don't change a thing" which could even remotely interrupt the gravy train...

Good

I worked at Red Hat

Pros

employee friendly and good work life balance

Cons

I don't think there are any cons...

improve the transfer facility

Not what I expected...

Former Employee - Consultant
    Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at Red Hat full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Challenging. If you thrive, you stand to learn and grow much.
    - Awesome name on resume
    - Very smart co-workers

Cons

- Compensation. The amount of work being done, with the level that it is accomplished at, leaves the compensation below industry.
    - Travel
    - Work life balance.
    - At times, felt like staff augmentation.
    - Some frustrating coworkers. Culture of complete transparency can lead to lots of pedantic debates.

- Reach out to consultants not working in Red Hat offices.

Full of opportunities - both technical and leadership

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible work environment, fantastic attitude amongst most of the employees, excellent corporate leadership including CEO, CFO, and CIO

Cons

On occasion, like most companies, there is a bit of politics going on. Not near as bad as many companies I have been at though.

If you need specific experience, yes. Otherwise....

I worked at Red Hat

Pros

Great team attitude. Portal is a really awesome. Projects they get are amazing resume builders.

Cons

Salary was a joke. They low balled me. Hours were insane. My project manager and program manager both quit the company without anyone telling me. I found out from my client.

Get the professional portion of professional services right.

Business Development

Current Employee - Biz Development in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Biz Development in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great culture on the west coast and NE. Southern office a little "old school"

Cons

Not a lot of women in high positions. Old Boys Network. No ESPP

It's an everyday challenge, but I always get to learn new things. I love being part of the commitment to open source.

Current Employee - Consultant in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As a consultant, you receive decent quarterly bonuses, great stock grants, and your cell phone bill is reimbursed. You can take Red Hat training courses and certification exams for free if you can get a break from your normal job duties to take them. You get to work at a lot of different places, work with really smart and experienced people, and learn new things constantly. I never feel under-challenged.

Cons

The salary could be better, but it's offset with bonuses and perks. As a consultant, you may have to travel a lot, but this is something I personally enjoy. While you learn new things every day, it can also make you feel like a newbie every time you go on a new project because there is always endless new things to learn. You get placed in some very high pressure situations which can be stressful at times. Promotions can be rather difficult unless you are an absolute rockstar.

Better annual increases in salary would make consultants feel like they are worth the effort they are putting into their projects. It seems like managers will give all manner of perks and spot-bonuses before giving a single penny in salary increase. The bar for promotions keeps moving so that it feels nearly unattainable.

Best work environment I've ever seen

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

People are passionate, committed, and capable. "Dead Weight" is rare on a team. Most teams are flexible and allow you to maintain an excellent work/life balance.

Cons

- While the technology used is often new and interesting, the problems being solved tend to be dry and uninteresting.
    - Development teams have little input about customer requirements/needs
    - There is a large gap of missing information from people in the field versus those designing/building products.
    - Some teams become process heavy and seem to over complicate the work they are doing.
    - Red Hatters tend to be a different sort of people, they are more vocal on what they like/dislike on mailing lists with several sounding "whiny" at times.
    - Company is growing and losing the 'startup' feel

Development teams are often building products with little to no input about the desired customers needs/wants. Product Management (if it is even available) is not gathering enough information from customers and passing it to developers. End result is developers are guessing at details of features without having a good understanding of the customer. It would be helpful if there were ways to increase interactions with those in the field (support/solutions architects/consultants) with the engineering teams. In my experience the teams operate as separate silos with minimal interaction.