Red Hat Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Great perks/office environment, poor management and morale in HR

Former Employee - Human Resources in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Red Hat full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun/upbeat office environments, company events, encouragement for employees to collaborate and grow.

Cons

Work/life balance. Expectation to be "on call" 24/7, but not paid accordingly. When employees leave, management talks poorly of them. "Open" culture is praised, but only if you agree with upper management and "drink the Kool-Aid." Turnover is high, and they blame it on "not being a good culture fit."

Advice to Management

Don't treat employees with the attitude that they're easily replaceable. When employees keep leaving for the same reasons, perhaps take a look at who is managing those people.

Opportunity, opportunity, opportunity!

I have been working at Red Hat

Pros

On the early side of your career, Red Hat offers many opportunities to grow your career quickly. I've grown my skills and earning power more in the last few years at Red Hat than I have in 8 years at other companies. Management stays out of everyone's way for the most part, I see little evidence of micromanaging on the engineering side of the business. My career has also grown readily at Red Hat, and I have the opportunity to move between business units and departments to grow my career. You're free to share your opinions, and participate in projects that you can bring value to. You're not limited to only those projects that fall strictly in your own job description.

Cons

It's somewhat common for some people to feel the need to "participate" in projects where they're not necessarily contributing value to show their "worth" to the organization. This is part of the culture, and is generally unavoidable. Given the open decision framework Red Hat employs, this slows down decision making some times, and can derail projects. However, I'd take this over strict siloing any day. It's possible to overcome this through skilled influencing and Pay seems less than comparable companies, but I think there are benefits that outweigh it. Remote employees can feel isolated at times.

Advice to Management

Treat remote employees better, continue to empower employees to go beyond their own silos and collaborate across teams!

Proving Open Source Works

Current Employee - Software Architect in Westford, MA
    Current Employee - Software Architect in Westford, MA

I have been working at Red Hat (More than 8 years)

Pros

Red Hat is very progressive, there is ample room for advancement and an enormous number of interesting projects to work on.

Cons

Separating work and home life can be very difficult, particularly with a global staff connected by the internet at all times.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. It works quite well!

Used to be a great company but quickly going downhill.

I worked at Red Hat full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Culture is relaxed. Team bonds are close. Great financial position as a company. Takes an act of God to fire anyone so job stability is there.

Cons

Low pay. Lack of appreciation for hard work. Politics. Terrible leadership in key functions. Takes an act of God to terminate poor performers so overall productivity has gone down over years.

Advice to Management

Eliminate "us vs them" culture currently there - two worst groups are Engineering and HR. Beware of hypocritical leadership particularly in HR and Finance. Provide better compensation packages to employees.

Project Manager

I have been working at Red Hat full-time

Pros

Great company to work for as long as you're willing to work hard. This is a true meritocracy, and if you work hard, you can make a real and lasting impact.

Cons

Everyone is so engaged, and it's a worldwide company, so it's easy to work at all hours of the day.

7. Inside Sales

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in India, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in India, TX

I worked at Red Hat part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

One of the best places to work, flexible work hours, plenty of life time and home office. Really good atmosphere between coworkers.

Cons

Extremely low salary compared to other company within the same business. Nothing else to complain rather than this. Should take better care of their employees.

Advice to Management

Take more of your time with lower employees, listen to their ideas and try to give them better opportunities. Raise their salary.

Great well intentioned company

Current Employee - Solution Architect in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Solution Architect in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love Red Hat. I feel like I'm part of something bigger than just a job. The people and goals are great to work with and as I am in sales, to me it is easy to stand up and say "I'm from Red Hat" Red Hat gives alot of young eager people jobs so they are a small and dynamic in a good way. The folks that are in mid management are by and large people who "grew up" in Red Hat.

Cons

They have a tendency to stumble on supportive tasks for sales enablement, they are despite their best intentions a very HQ centered east coast company and have a hard time being in a west coast market. Other downsides is they have real issues getting their sales strategies lined up with tactical activities outside of the east coast. They have trouble getting their incentive plans and payouts right and really really really need to figure this stuff out if they want to stem turnover issues.

Advice to Management

1) Fix the Raleigh centricity problem. 2) Get incentive plans right. 3) Align tactical plans with sales strategy. 4) Get incentive plans right ;)

9. Great Company for engineers

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Westford, MA
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Westford, MA

I have been working at Red Hat

Pros

Free speach and free to innovate

Cons

Compensation could be slightly better.

10. Great place to work!

Current Employee - Solutions Architect
    Current Employee - Solutions Architect

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Quickly growing company, lots of room for advancement and a great culture!

Cons

The quick growth sometimes leads to resource challenges, but nothing that can't be overcome.

Walking the walk!

Current Employee - Senior Platform Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Platform Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very open, welcoming, supportive. When the collective supports (or rejects) an idea, action is taken based on the popular opinion - what Red Hat refers to as meritocracy (the best idea wins).

Cons

Sometimes overwhelming as there are so many options and possibilities to focus on.

RSS Feed </> Embed