Red Hat

Updated December 20, 2014
4.0

Red Hat President & CEO Jim Whitehurst
Jim Whitehurst

Pros
  • It's open source baby (it's still now - subjected to change with the way of growth) (in 85 reviews)

• employee friendly and good work life balance (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Product management wrestling increasing control over upstream open source projects (in 22 reviews)

• There is need for work life balance in Red Hat (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Lots of growth, lots of promise, lots of dysfunction

Former Employee - Marketing Manager
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager

I worked at Red Hat full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Incredible scope to seize opportunities, grow with new and emerging projects. Open source is amazing. A lot of the people are great, super smart and committed. I had an amazing tenure here, but got out when the politics started getting to me.

Cons

Company is full of turds: underqualified hacks who have been with the company for over 10 years and promoted way above their capabilities, and recent refugees from big companies like Microsoft, Oracle, EMC who Red Hat thought they needed to legitimize themselves as they grew bigger but are just a bunch of dead weight. Political infighting like you wouldn't believe. If you can avoid the land mines, the toxic people, and the zombie projects you can get things done, but it's not the company it was three years ago.

Time for a reorg. Do a 360 review to find the people to get rid of. CEO should get out of his office every once in a while to see what is going on in the company

An inspiring place to work while contributing to the common good

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Red Hat has a winning business model that is built on open source software so you'll get to contribute to the community and the company at the same time. This growing company has employees around the world (including lots of remote folks). Rewards and opportunity are ripe for those willing to work hard.

Cons

Just like any company at this stage of growth, Red Hat is experiencing some growing pains. Fortunately, the open culture places decision making in the open and employees are encouraged to weigh in on important issues.

Keep up the good work. The strategy is solid and it's working with customers.

Great but you have to buy in, and Support/GSS is not easy

Former Employee - Associate Technical Support Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Associate Technical Support Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Red Hat full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They make an effort to keep you comfortable. The benefits are good.

Cons

Pay in support/GSS is 30k less than anywhere else comparable. This is too large a gap.
    Support is way to stressful and evolving to not get stressed out.

In this case, Support/GSS, just pay better. That makes a lot of the other crap easier to take.

Open Source is a culture

I worked at Red Hat full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Red Hat is a great place to work if you love open source. Most decisions are made based on transparency, openness and how it will impact the community. It is 'in their blood'.

Cons

While transparency is the goal of the company, there are fiefdoms that are about building their kingdoms and not working together. This can be discouraging and what played a role in me leaving.

Working with a group of geeky and talented people

Current Employee - Software Engineering Intern
    Current Employee - Software Engineering Intern

I have been working at Red Hat as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

People are very talented and very strong at programming/engineering. Working from home is a big benefit. Projects are under rapid development.

Cons

Maybe there should be more communication between departments. And employeee needs a good balance between life and work.

There may need to be a more clear product plan or milestone.

Great place to work for Open Source advocates and open-minded people!

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Company culture is awesome if you're an open source advocate. If you're not, it's still a great place to work as long as you keep an open mind. Work is pretty flexible, sometimes even leaving it up to take the initiative to work on valuable projects. Most people are really passionate about what they do, which makes for awesome work life. However, there is also a real balance with life, offering pretty good PTO.

Cons

There seems to be a decline in the importance of Open Source for some people, making it OK to adopt proprietary solutions when convenient. It's probably a side effect of a growing company, where a lot of the people coming in don't have the same vision and passion for Open Source.

Don't let profitability stomp on culture and values. The reason Red Hat is what it is is finding a good business model around supporting Open Source, and continuing to be a leader in the field. If Red Hat starts using proprietary tools internally, what does that say to the rest of the world?

Good Open Source Culture Based Company

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

- Great work/life balance.
    - Ability to contribute to open source projects.
    - Has the welfare of its customers in mind.

Cons

* Company has grown beyond its initial roots. It has crossed $1B in revenue last year. Now revenue trumps culture. Company can get short sighted.
    * Either Engineering calls the shots or management calls the shots. There is a clear divide between management and engineers. No intermingling.

- Promote people often.
    - Have a yard stick for management particularly product management.

My worst career mistake

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Red Hat (less than an year)

Pros

Brand name company - looks good on your resume; nice corporate office and amenities, especially for younger employees; free parking; training opportunities

Cons

Inexperienced managers of people; not always strategic in their actions; not open to new ideas; caste system from a structure standpoint

Pay attention to why people leave your company and take appropriate action - not every business leader should be leading people

Political

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Red Hat full-time

Pros

Good benefits, hard working colleagues and autonomy

Cons

Politics. The company (at least back office functions) is full of back biting politics between and within departments. Everyone is afraid of losing power and fights for position. A lot of smoke and mirrors without much truth to employees or higher management. Many in leadership are checked out and are more concerned about positioning themselves outside of Red Hat instead of focusing on what needs to be done within their departments.

Also, lip service is paid to growth and moving within the company but for many in back office functions, to move is almost impossible because managers will limit your mobility to not lose the headcount number.

Collaboration, trust and transparency are buzzwords that are not lived out in practice at Red Hat.

Clean house in your second and third level "leaders". They are not being honest with you and are only interested in advancing personal agendas. They are playing a chess game with you and each other.

Invest in your people - even those in cost center departments. Allow those with a vision to blossom instead of allowing them to be silenced in the interest of politics.

Wasn't as open-source as I'd expect, but I was not working in development. No stock, decent compensation.

Current Employee - Sales Analyst in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Analyst in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Tolerant of sexual orientation / race, Decent Compensation, the developers have a great open-source culture, frequent free food, free soda and snacks every day. Team had pretty good cohesion and occasionally shared a potluck or a team-building half-day out of the office.

Cons

I was in the sales/analysts part of the company, and Red Hat's sales organization has a less open-source culture than previous jobs where I worked close to developers. I worked medium-long hours, and especially long hours around quarter ends, which diluted my hourly wage to "not worth it". I used Windows/Excel/PowerPoint, and our team did things the way you do them at all US / multinational mega-corps. I felt there were too many layers of management between me and the customer, and that it would take forever to rise through at least 3 of the 6 layers of the corporation's management (just like a pyramid scheme) to get good compensation. The days of stock options ended sometime between 2012-2013 for the bottom-level developers/analysts. I think even first-level managers still can get stock options, but the chance for real wealth has past. Most of these cons apply to most corporate jobs. I improved my Excel skills to even higher levels. I didn't learn or improve other valuable skills that I can make money with, so personal growth was limited. I was praised for my effort and results, but never rewarded with more money, more time, or better work. I discovered my marginal earnings / hour were better managing my personal investments and fulfilling orders and improving the efficiency of my own little business during lunch, so I quit after 1 year. My managers said they were sad when I announced I wanted to leave, but didn't offer anything more to keep me. I think actions speak louder than words, and Red Hat's actions said it only valued me as a $28/hr (pre-tax) / $21/hr (post-tax) Excel and salesforce.com jockey. Red Hat offered no way of improving me into a higher-value role, so I left. I now make $35/hr on my lowest-value tasks, and can work as little or as much as I want, when I want, and still make enough to live where I like, and do anything I want all day, every day.

Let the sales/analysts be part of Red Hat's open-source culture. My manager was questioned by his manager when I responded to one of the Red Hat company-wide lists about why I choose a High-Deductible Health Plan (HDHP). His attitude was, "why is (s)he writing this 2 or 3 paragraph email about HDHP, (s)he should be working!" This response shocked me, because Red Hat is supposedly about everyone contributing and having their opinions heard.