Red Hat Reviews

The truth about consulting

Current Employee - Consultant in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Consultant in McLean, VA

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (More than a year)

Pros

First of all It's important to remember that consulting and engineering are two very different places to work within Red Hat. Many of the positive reviews here are completely unrelated to consultants. Secondly, applying to be a consultant straight out of undergrad is a completely different beast than applying with previous consulting experience. -You get to learn a lot about corporate structure and different technology stacks by visiting multiple client sites -The consultants that last more than a year are actually really great people -You really do have the opportunity to climb the promotion ladder as high as you want -Everyone assumes Red Hat consulting has the same talent standards as Red Hat engineering so it looks fantastic on your resume -Management actually trusts their consultants immensely -You work closely with some of the worlds top infrastructure technologies -Red Hat certification exams are highly accessible and paid for

Cons

-The majority of our revenue comes from long-term staff augmentation contracts with huge corporations who can't hire their own talent -Most consultants (especially straight out of college) are sent on 1-3 years of staff augmentation jobs before they're considered ready to actually consult on short term engagements with interesting clients. You may be stuck at the same client site for up to two years. -You are a slave to the client. The severity varies widely between clients, but vacation time needs to be approved by the client, how you contribute to the team is determined by the client, and when you're expected to work late nights and weekends is determined by the client. -Revenue numbers rule all: As a billable entity, your needs are frequently swept under the rug so the money keeps coming in. -Contracts frequently mention that we are all 40hr/week employees which sounds great until you realize that just means we can't bill the client for all the overtime that is actually required but not talked about. -Training time is offered ...with no time to take it because you're billable (i.e. you can't take any vacation this quarter if you're going on a training) -Career advancement falls completely on the responsibility of the consultant to study outside the working hours of the client. If you only spend 40-50 hours a week on your career you will never get ahead. -You get a special "people manager" who is responsible for your career advancement, but chances are they will have no time for you. The position is overworked and a low priority to fix. -Because you're stuck on client site all week, if you ever want to interact with other Red Hat employees, you must do that on your own time.

Advice to Management

-Stop recruiters from flat out lying to college hires -Either move away from staff augmentation contracts or accept that you've largely become a body shop (read "The Nomadic Developer") -Honestly, hire less consultants from undergrad. It only increases your dependency on staff augmentation contracts -Make the people manager role meaningful -Offer significant training and certification time to consultants as they come on board -A mentoring program would help college hires IMMENSELY

principal software engineer

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Westford, MA
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Westford, MA

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- OSS - Good people to work with. - Can sometimes jump around to different projects.

Cons

- Management is lacking. They have no training. I've had 5 managers. My current one is a micromanager. - There has been a loss of transparency in the company. Much more of a divide between managers and workers. - Lots of new middle management and bean counter jobs. - Steam roller approach to new opensource projects. The company will suffocate ongoing opensource projects in order to own them. - Stock plan is a joke and has been gutted such that award amounts are really small. No ESPP. - Education is restricted. - No where to go after reaching principal level and managers aren't trained to help with career advancements. - Plan on at least 50 hr weeks.

Advice to Management

Why bother. They are not listening and don't care.

Not all management embraces "The Red Hat Way"

I worked at Red Hat full-time

Pros

Interesting work. Global opportunities. Free snacks, sodas, and a pretty good cafeteria with pool tables, ping pong tables, etc.

Cons

New managers aren't required to take any training so poor management styles persist with each subsequent promotion. No collaboration or communication in my department. Employees' experience not valued. No one took ownership of issues and problems not resolved. As an example I sat in on the same meeting for over a year where the same things were discussed. Low pay, low 401k match, no ESPP.

Advice to Management

Advice to job seekers: make sure you are absolutely sure of what the job entails and what your potential manager's management style is. I agree with others who say Red Hat is not a small company anymore so stop acting like one. At the same time the company is not the largest out there so stop being arrogant when dealing with suppliers.

great technologies! so-so management!

I worked at Red Hat full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Red Hat is one of the best known brands in the world and the projects and technologies are cutting edge. You get to work with some of the smartest people on some very interesting problems. There are lot of opportunities to grow. Pretty good work life balance. Great products and experience at Red Hat has great value on resume.

Cons

Open source is great, but sometimes look outside the box for the best solution, not just cheap. Not every open source solution is good. The travel budget is a joke. They ask employees to share rooms when going to conferences. I mean seriously? You think we're teenagers to bunk with buddies? Hard to believe such a successful company has such cheap attitude. The benefits are pretty basic. 401k match is very low and no ESPP.

Advice to Management

Employees work hard, treat them with respect they deserve. Don't cheap out on taking care of them when they are traveling on business to grow and promote the company. Improve the benefits, you are no longer a small company. Stop acting like one.

Great company, very distributed though

Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Westford, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Westford, MA

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- You get to work with extremely smart and motivated people. - Openness and transparency, both externally and internally.

Cons

- Red Hat is a very distributed company; a lot of the teams are virtual; the physical distance and difference in time-zones (and even workdays in some cases) makes it very hard to build team spirit, resolve small issues promptly, may completely eliminate casual f2f communication, etc. - Another side effect of the distributed character of Red Hat is that many people are working from home regularly. My "cube neighbors" are arriving to the office in a frequency of a couple of time a month, or even less then that. While I appreciate the option to WFH when necessary, having all of the people always working from home poses the same disadvantages as the ones mentioned above for virtual teams. Arriving every day to a "ghost office" is not fun.

Advice to Management

- Having employees all over the world is great. But try to build each team in a single location. - Encourage people to work from the office (with relation to my point above: if everyone had colleagues in the same office, it would be far more encouraging to arrive to the office and actually work with them f2f).

7. Great company and great people!

I worked at Red Hat

Pros

The company is fast-paced and ever changing - in a good way. The people that work there are amazing and make the work atmosphere one of the best I've ever had the pleasure to work at.

Cons

Not as many opportunities for advancement in certain areas.

8. Best company I've ever worked for

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management is truly open to ideas from all employees Company enables and encourages professional development Even in a company of nearly 7,000 employees, it's easy to stand out and make a name for yourself if you are motivated

Cons

Sometimes it feels as though the open source culture and values are not embraced/understood by all departments.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, but remember what got Red Hat to where it is today.

Product Manager

Former Employee - Product Manager I in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Product Manager I in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Red Hat full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wow, what a company! They push you to succeed. I love my management team.

Cons

There are none. They are OUTSTANDING!!!!!

Advice to Management

Provide training to new product managers (smile). You tried your best ...

10. Excellent technology company, great place to work

Current Employee - Technical Account Manager
    Current Employee - Technical Account Manager

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Autonomy, transparency, teamwork, flexibility-all opensource ideals

Cons

It's a larger company now, but in some ways it is still run like a startup. It might be charming, but it's not a way to get things done.

Amazing company to work for

I have been working at Red Hat

Pros

Open source culture Management cares about the employees Plenty of opportunities to work on new and exciting projects Meritocratic culture so job titles are less important than great work and great ideas

Cons

Very fast growing company means there is a constant influx of new people that need to be taught the culture

Advice to Management

None. You guys rock.

RSS Feed </> Embed