Red Hat Reviews

Updated September 25, 2014
4.0

Red Hat President & CEO Jim Whitehurst
Jim Whitehurst

Pros
  • It's open source baby (it's still now - subjected to change with the way of growth) (in 80 reviews)

• Very nice and open culture/environment, lots of bonuses/benefits, flexible working hours, competitive salaries, opportunities to learn/develop/grow (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Product management wrestling increasing control over upstream open source projects (in 22 reviews)

• There is need for work life balance in Red Hat (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company - plan to stick around for a long time

Current Employee - Senior QA Engineer  in  Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Senior QA Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Red Hat full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

A great company to work for. I've been there for many years, and it still has a small-ish feel even though it has grown 5x (employees) during that time. Most of my coworkers in the engineering department are smart, motivated, and good to work with. They stick to their principles of open source. Communication internally is very good. I feel like in general, the company cares about their employees and tries (within reason) to make us happy. It's a stable environment and I've never felt any concerns about layoffs or downsizing - if anything it's the opposite (growing pains).

Cons

Of all the jobs I've had internally, I've found management to be very hands-off. i.e. "You know what you need to do, so do it". At times I've wished I had more direction, but I'd take that over a micromanager.

Lots of positive energy and momentum and a very flexible work culture

Current Employee - Principal Product Manager  in  Westford, MA
    Current Employee - Principal Product Manager in Westford, MA

I have been working at Red Hat full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Lots of energy and positive momentum
    - What an individual/team wants to do is unbounded by the company in many ways. One can decide for themselves how hard they want to work or choose a more balanced work life balance (but still work and not goof off)
    - the core competency of the company is open source technology knowledge and the free exchange of it on email lists and discussions. Provides a very valuable learning opportunity
    - Company has great relationship with customers (large enterprises) - something that can be very useful for getting ur job done effectively.

Cons

- Lack of any significant processes. So sometimes it feels like re-inventing the wheel.
    - Compensation is average

A fulfilling experience, working with highly motivated people who are full of energy and who are not afraid to speak up.

Current Employee - Revenue/Finance  in  Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Revenue/Finance in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Red Hat for more than a year

Pros

Open environment, good perks and benefits, great location in downtown Raleigh.

Cons

Lots of meetings where things are not always accomplished.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awesome Company!! Get paid to be part of the solutions not the problem.

Current Employee - Senior Solutions Architect  in  Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Solutions Architect in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Red Hat full-time for less than a year

Pros

Every open-minded and creative culture. Truly values their employees. After all opensource is about community. Redhat even as a gowning company keep the core values of source strong.

Cons

Very tech savy company. Those that like to use MS word and Outlook for mail may find it quite different.

Keep empowering the community developers.

Principal Software Engineer

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer  in  Westford, MA
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Westford, MA

I have been working at Red Hat full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Best place to work on open source software. Help create the software that the world runs their businesses on. Flexibility to work from many locations around the world. Anyone can contribute to our open source projects and the very best developers (e.g. best patches submitted) can be considered for our open positions.

Cons

We are a large company, which can be a con. Although, we still have a small company feel in that we have many different initiatives that employees can be part of.

Unlimited opportunity to enrich career continually preparing you for the next step.

Current Employee - Supervisor  in  Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Red Hat full-time

Pros

Values, Focus on strategy and execution, unlimited opportunity from a career perspective, work-life balance.

Cons

Growing pains from a startup to billion+ dollar business.

Don't let arbitrary business rules/processes (ones we've created) get in the way of innovating our organizational model.

Do not work for Red Hat IT.

Former Employee - Linux Systems Administrator  in  Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Linux Systems Administrator in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Red Hat full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company as a hole, has great people and some great goals. If you work in Engineering, fantastic place to work. People who believe in what they are doing and love it. When I first began working there, I really enjoyed it, but things really went down hill.

Cons

The IT department is full of incompetent people and people who are there due to nepotism. I really feel sad at having to say this, but the current CIO has really dragged the place down. They implemented ITIL and have generally preferred closed source solutions over ones that Red Hat itself sells. Just completely insane that they would put in place closed source solutions that specifically compete with Red Hat products.

Replace all of the IT management.

One of the best places I have ever worked at.

Current Employee - Lead Generation  in  Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Lead Generation in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Red Hat as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Environment, Workers, Community, Management, Leadership

Cons

too much fun, Difficult to learn products

Nothing

RH FTW!

Current Employee - Tech Support Engineer  in  Westford, MA
    Current Employee - Tech Support Engineer in Westford, MA

I have been working at Red Hat full-time for more than a year

Pros

The sky is the limit! No, really, it is. You can probably do anything you want to do here. Managers have been extremely supportive in crafting a career path as well as making sure they I find the work fulfilling

Cons

The pay is weak. I know a lot of people say this about their jobs, especially since the great recession. And especially since IT pay has been getting lower and cheaper the past handful of years. But Red Hat does definitely pay less for the non-management / non-rockstar positions. :(

Pay your lower level employees like you appreciate them. The VC pay is nice and appreciated. But 5% of not much = not much.

sr. software engineer (middleware)

I have been working at Red Hat full-time

Pros

- hight flexibility (working remotely)
    - passioned and smart people
    - low bureaucracy (reporting is reduced to a bare minimum)
    - open source done right

Cons

- salaries are not where they should be. Most of the salary increases are triggered by engineers and not by management
    - working remotely has its challenges (self discipline)

Worked for Red Hat? Contribute to the Community!