Red Hat Reviews

Updated April 19, 2015
374 reviews filtered by

Red Hat provided me with a wonderful internship opportunity!

Former Intern - Human Resources in Raleigh, NC
    Former Intern - Human Resources in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Red Hat as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I was only a part of the company for four short months but during that time I got a great taste of what working at Red Hat entails. The culture is truly something a college grad dreams of working in! There is never a dull moment or boring day. The team does a lot together, not only in the workplace but after hours as well. It is somewhere that makes everyone, even the interns feel like a part of the team.

Cons

Since finishing my internship with Red Hat I have not been able to find an entry level position on the business side of things. That is not really a "con" but it would be amazing to land a full-time position with such a great company.

Advice to Management

More entry level positions available and a way to notify interested applicants when positions become available would be great!

Wasn't as open-source as I'd expect, but I was not working in development. No stock, decent compensation.

Current Employee - Sales Analyst in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Analyst in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Tolerant of sexual orientation / race, Decent Compensation, the developers have a great open-source culture, frequent free food, free soda and snacks every day. Team had pretty good cohesion and occasionally shared a potluck or a team-building half-day out of the office.

Cons

I was in the sales/analysts part of the company, and Red Hat's sales organization has a less open-source culture than previous jobs where I worked close to developers. I worked medium-long hours, and especially long hours around quarter ends, which diluted my hourly wage to "not worth it". I used Windows/Excel/PowerPoint, and our team did things the way you do them at all US / multinational mega-corps. I felt there were too many layers of management between me and the customer, and that it would take forever to rise through at least 3 of the 6 layers of the corporation's management (just like a pyramid scheme) to get good compensation. The days of stock options ended sometime between 2012-2013 for the bottom-level developers/analysts. I think even first-level managers still can get stock options, but the chance for real wealth has past. Most of these cons apply to most corporate jobs. I improved my Excel skills to even higher levels. I didn't learn or improve other valuable skills that I can make money with, so personal growth was limited. I was praised for my effort and results, but never rewarded with more money, more time, or better work. I discovered my marginal earnings / hour were better managing my personal investments and fulfilling orders and improving the efficiency of my own little business during lunch, so I quit after 1 year. My managers said they were sad when I announced I wanted to leave, but didn't offer anything more to keep me. I think actions speak louder than words, and Red Hat's actions said it only valued me as a $28/hr (pre-tax) / $21/hr (post-tax) Excel and salesforce.com jockey. Red Hat offered no way of improving me into a higher-value role, so I left. I now make $35/hr on my lowest-value tasks, and can work as little or as much as I want, when I want, and still make enough to live where I like, and do anything I want all day, every day.

Advice to Management

Let the sales/analysts be part of Red Hat's open-source culture. My manager was questioned by his manager when I responded to one of the Red Hat company-wide lists about why I choose a High-Deductible Health Plan (HDHP). His attitude was, "why is (s)he writing this 2 or 3 paragraph email about HDHP, (s)he should be working!" This response shocked me, because Red Hat is supposedly about everyone contributing and having their opinions heard.

Solutions Architect

Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very good environment to learn new technologies and be a part of a company who sets the bar for technology.

Cons

There are a lot of conflicting egos. But, that is pervasive in any high-tech company.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Loved the job

Former Employee - Product Manager I in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Product Manager I in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Red Hat full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Red Hat is an outstanding company to work for

Cons

None, There is nothing I can think of ...

Advice to Management

They are some of my friends, you are doing well

6. Great, fast-growing company

I have been working at Red Hat

Pros

Plenty of opportunities for growth if you're willing to work hard. Definitely a meritocracy. The people are great and are willing to work together to accomplish a goal.

Cons

The company is growing fast, and finding it difficult to balance the agility of a small company, with the presence and reputation as a large company. Sometime difficult to accomplish goals because there are so many concurrent projects ongoing, it's not always obvious the priorities between them.

7. intern

I have been working at Red Hat

Pros

good place to work at

Cons

not much negative to say

Fun but nowhere to go...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Red Hat full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working Environment: fun, fast-paced, opportunity to travel
    Free food on most days somewhere in the office
    Great office space

Cons

Low salary. Had to leave because it just wan't competitive enough.
    Promotions are based on who you are friends with-- not merit based.
    People in leadership never move-- and often have no idea what they are doing.

Advice to Management

Better, competitive salary. Leadership needs to actually lead-- not be a part of the cool kids group.

Choose Your Own Adventure

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westford, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westford, MA

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Exceptional work/life balance
    Open company culture
    Choose your own career path
    Tons of opportunities to work with other teams and develop new skills
    Company travel for events and conferences
    Work remotely or from other offices worldwide
    Great comp and benefits
    Intelligent people and very collaborative environment

Cons

Can be a lack of communication between departments
    Processes are still being developed
    Some growing pains from such fast growth

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

Interesting culture

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unique office and great cafe

Cons

Change is rapid not allowing for solid execution and leaves incomplete work in its wake. Too many things left unbaked and projects churn ineffectively. Culture isn't the best when grooming the company for efficient growth

Advice to Management

Specific to my department...eliminate micro managing and trust the talent you hired to do the work they know how to do.

Overall great experience!

Former Employee - Enterprise Account Executive
    Former Employee - Enterprise Account Executive

I worked at Red Hat full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work/life balance. The company has gone through a lot of growing pains, but still cares about the employees and culture. Still maintains the open source culture, which is not buttoned up and much more relaxed. Very collaborative environment, you build very good friendships here. Not micromanaged.

Cons

Finance and engineering run company still. Also very political. Promotions are not always given on merit, but instead on who your friend is.

Advice to Management

Do not change compensation plans in the middle of the year. It is very discouraging to employees.