Red Hat

Red Hat Reviews in Westford, MA

Updated May 6, 2014

Red Hat President & CEO Jim Whitehurst

Jim Whitehurst

Pros
  • It's open source baby (it's still now - subjected to change with the way of growth)(in 75 reviews)

• Very nice and open culture/environment, lots of bonuses/benefits, flexible working hours, competitive salaries, opportunities to learn/develop/grow(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Product management wrestling increasing control over upstream open source projects(in 22 reviews)

• There is need for work life balance in Red Hat(in 9 reviews)

17 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Choose Your Own Adventure

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Westford, MA

ProsExceptional work/life balance
    Open company culture
    Choose your own career path
    Tons of opportunities to work with other teams and develop new skills
    Company travel for events and conferences
    Work remotely or from other offices worldwide
    Great comp and benefits
    Intelligent people and very collaborative environment

ConsCan be a lack of communication between departments
    Processes are still being developed
    Some growing pains from such fast growth

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work!

A rare company that practices what it preaches

Software Architect (Current Employee) Westford, MA

ProsRed Hat has a strong commitment to open-source software. It contributes to the advancement of technology around the world, allowing people to build atop the work of others to produce products and solutions greater than the sum of their parts.

The corporate culture is by far the finest I have experienced. The culture of collaboration permeates every level of the business.

ConsRed Hat's salaries do not always measure up to the giants of Silicon Valley. The work-life balance can sometimes be difficult to maintain, as everyone in engineering performs multiple jobs.

Red Hat can be stingy at times, such as requiring employees to room together on business trips.

Advice to Senior ManagementLoosen the purse-strings a bit to avoid losing good people to soulless companies with deep pockets. People will stay at Red Hat for the corporate culture if the pay gap shrank a bit.

Lots of positive energy and momentum and a very flexible work culture

Principal Product Manager (Current Employee) Westford, MA

Pros- Lots of energy and positive momentum
    - What an individual/team wants to do is unbounded by the company in many ways. One can decide for themselves how hard they want to work or choose a more balanced work life balance (but still work and not goof off)
    - the core competency of the company is open source technology knowledge and the free exchange of it on email lists and discussions. Provides a very valuable learning opportunity
    - Company has great relationship with customers (large enterprises) - something that can be very useful for getting ur job done effectively.

Cons- Lack of any significant processes. So sometimes it feels like re-inventing the wheel.
    - Compensation is average

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Principal Software Engineer

Principal Software Engineer (Current Employee) Westford, MA

ProsBest place to work on open source software. Help create the software that the world runs their businesses on. Flexibility to work from many locations around the world. Anyone can contribute to our open source projects and the very best developers (e.g. best patches submitted) can be considered for our open positions.

ConsWe are a large company, which can be a con. Although, we still have a small company feel in that we have many different initiatives that employees can be part of.

RH FTW!

Tech Support Engineer (Current Employee) Westford, MA

ProsThe sky is the limit! No, really, it is. You can probably do anything you want to do here. Managers have been extremely supportive in crafting a career path as well as making sure they I find the work fulfilling

ConsThe pay is weak. I know a lot of people say this about their jobs, especially since the great recession. And especially since IT pay has been getting lower and cheaper the past handful of years. But Red Hat does definitely pay less for the non-management / non-rockstar positions. :(

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your lower level employees like you appreciate them. The VC pay is nice and appreciated. But 5% of not much = not much.

Lots of opportunity to work on open source, poorly run internal projects and products.

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Westford, MA

ProsRed Hat is committed to open source development and if you want to work in that environment and not have a company hassle you about participating in the open source community, Red Hat is good.

ConsVery weak regional office representation. Weak brand identity in the software industry. Confusion among customers about what Red Hat does (Linux? JBoss? Something with Cloud?). Little to no recognition for significant project contributions. Low pay for the industry and very low raises. No guidance for career path and impossible internal mobility.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease investment in associates. Pay and benefits should be more competitive for the industry. Guidance and plans should be in place for people wanting to grow their career. Internal mobility should be possible.

Very good

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Westford, MA

ProsRed Hat has strong company values, and a unique business model that makes it well positioned for success. It is a medium sized company with a big company presence

ConsOffice locations are far from city centers. I think this is a strategic move to keep real estate costs down, but I also believe it makes current employees unhappy and detracts against getting the "right kind" of new employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementExpand closer to Boston to attract talent

Freedom

Principal Software Engineer (Current Employee) Westford, MA

ProsFreedom to create.
    You own your own career here, don't expect much hand holding.
    significant majority of staff is dedicated and knowledgeable.
    The company is engineered for remote employment throughout all departments.
    Excellent hardware budgets
    Reasonable total compensation for top performers

ConsProcess heavy in businesses that are cash cows
    technical leadership a bit political
    hyper growth companies are chaotic and Red Hat is no exception

Advice to Senior ManagementRead Only the Paranoid Survive by Andrew Grove.

Great concept, unfocused execution

Product Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Westford, MA

ProsA wealth of technical knowledge and a support org driven to do the right thing
    Well known in tech circles

Conscompeting silos of messaging and strategy
    hidden agendas of upper management
    benefits are not competitive

Advice to Senior ManagementEnable a real CMO ... agree and promote and message a strategy
    Highlight the services and support org
    Invest in sales

A challenging environment with lots of smart people that allows you to bring out your best

Engineering Manager (Current Employee) Westford, MA

Pros* Collaborative environment where you can work with very smart people
    * Challenges you to evaluate and improve your own ideas to solve problems
    * With not much effort you can interact with people across the company
    * Opportunities for career enhancing training

Cons* Like a small company, often struggling to do a lot with few resources or people
    * Like a big company, starting to experience some drag from processes that haven't kept up with growth
    * Some office-culture differences across certain geos can be challenging

Advice to Senior ManagementMore attention to preserving culture is needed; we have too little leadership in that area and too much lip service. However, upper management's improved focus on precise opportunities and strategy is a good thing overall and helps direct efforts across the company.

Worked for Red Hat? Contribute to the Community!