Red Light PR Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.8
Jen Phillips

1. Learned a lot. The internship experience was Amazing!

Former Employee - Intern in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Red Light PR (Less than a year)

Pros

Here at Red Light PR I learned a lot about different designers. I also learned about the fashion industry and the fast pace it requires one to work in. Being able to work with stylists and celebrities was the cherry on top. Picking out outfits and sharing my opinion on different outfit picks was very rewarding. Having the opportunity to intern here at Red Light expanded my creative side and allowed me to fully understand my love for the fashion industry. Communication between the interns and the account executives is great. Everyone is very helpful and friendly. Couldn't have asked for a better team to be a part of.

Cons

The intern corner can become unorganized at times. It is the interns job to keep it clean and presentable. Teamwork is very important.

2. PR intern - Biggest waste of time

Pros

Helping stylist....that one time they let us. It's hard to think of another pro, b/c it sucked so bad.

Cons

Honestly didn't learn a thing -- except to bite my tongue when the PR girls spoke to me. It was an unpaid internship and they could care less about us. Catty environment, management sucks. I'm not sure how they're still in business. For people looking for business..FYI! Clothes are dirty, and they never clean them.

Advice to Management

We want to grow and learn from you not sweep and do the trashes.

3. Intern

Current Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at Red Light PR part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Quickly answered to my application, hands on with opportunity to work directly with account executives

Cons

Sometimes not a lot to do, unpaid, the CEO said we were going to do things that never ended up happening, a lot of cleaning of the showroom

You Get What You Give, Great Company & Great Experience

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Red Light PR part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I interned here throughout the summer of 2014 and honestly had an incredible experience. The employees are wonderful people and RLPR is like a little family. That being said, I 100% believe that you get what you give with this experience. Some interns came and went without really putting in any effort but if you are hard working and willing this will be a good experience for you too. Some Pros: -a ton of networking opportunities -assisting in event planning -get to experience the basics of styling/assist stylists that come in the showroom -learn basics of pitching to new outlets -gain experience in social media tracking & learn importance of social media -gain a clear understanding of how the fashion pr industry works -overall confidence in beginning a career in the pr world Advice to incoming interns: be eager and ASK for projects. Matt and Jenna will most likely ask you for assistance in projects regardless, but the more you ask the more you will get out of the internship. If you sit around waiting for direction, you probably won't enjoy the internship as much. At RLPR you can really choose the direction of how successful your internship is. Just like in the real world, you have to go after what you want. I loved this internship because I worked hard.

Cons

The only real issue I had with the internship is problems with too many interns & not enough computers. RLPR really is working to fix the whole computer problem, but it was definitely frustrating at times to have to share 3 computers when we all have something we needed to do on them.

Advice to Management

I'm really seeing a lot of positive changes in RLPR and I'm confident about the future of the intern program. Thanks for a great experience

6. hands on

Pros

The best reason to work at Red light is the overall connections. A lot of stylist come in to pull for editorials so while they pull, we able to talk to them about their careers. That is only on slow days, because the interns usually have several jobs to do at once.

Cons

To every pro there is a con. There are days that the interns are just doing very tedious work that has nothing to do with the program. Such as cleaning bathrooms, filling the dishwashers, just things that everyone should be able to pick behind their own mess.

Advice to Management

Matt and Jen are great. The only advice I would give is to be more involved with the interns. Such as asking whats their next steps after the internship is complete and making sure that they learned as much as possible.

7. Great company to work for as a young professional

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Red Light PR full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- You get to work and handle all areas of PR; events, editorial/online pitching, social media, celebrities, blogger seeding, stylists etc. - If you show your hard work and dedication, you will be recognized - All of the coworkers are very close and you get to work as a team - There are several benefits that larger corporate firms do not offer - You truly grow as a young professional and learn a great deal about not only PR, but life situations - The CEO notices if you are a hard worker and appreciates employees that show they care - You get to travel to places such as NY to host events and meet editors face to face. You will hold onto these relationships for the rest of your career - Employees get direct client interaction which allows you to grow relationships with industry professionals - The firm has a wide array of clients to work with, everything from kids collections to high end gowns

Cons

- You have to occasionally work weekends which some employees don't understand, but that's the life in PR - If you don't have a strong personality, you won't show your true potential

Good opportunity but much happier enjoying life after...

I worked at Red Light PR full-time

Pros

The owner prides herself on being a "launchpad for young professionals" and this is correct. This company offers you the opportunity to build relationships with great contacts across several industries. If you last longer than the senior staff you will also be given a nice title for your hard work. Use these to your advantage and it could be the first step in a successful career. Your coworkers become your second family. Everybody is in this together and most of them will be with you through thick and thin. They are responsible for teaching you everything and are right behind your throughout the experience. It is very likely that you will communicate and collaborate with these amazing people throughout your career.

Cons

There is no respect for the staff at RLPR. You are there to work and your personal life will suffer. You are expected to work nights and weekends without compensation to your normal working hours. The owner's belief is that you should put absolutely everything into this role because you're likely to be in your 20s. The owner is unstable and this is apparent not only to the staff but also the clients, stylists, editors, etc. Her personal life will become a part of your work experience as these will often become excuses to miss calls, cancel meetings, shut down the office, and disappear for several weeks at random. You will be asked to drop everything, cozy up and cater to every whim of her personal friends, family and flings. Since her mood determines your workday, do anything you can to stay on her good side or fly under the radar to survive. Turnover is unbelievable at Red Light. In one year we saw close to 20 staff members come and go. If you are part of the junior staff this is your big opportunity, you will likely receive their title and responsibilities even if you are not ready for the position. It is not just the staff though, clients will quickly sign on with high hopes and expectations and leave just as fast when they realize the level of organization and product they are receiving. On either side the departure is never sweet and the person/client leaving will always be forced to carry the blame for an problems or disagreements. Due to this constant flux there is no stability in your roster and staff often end up overloaded with clients and unable to concentrate on their needs. The work truly becomes a battle of which fire needs to be put out first. There is no average work day and you run from one urgent matter to the next in hopes that your clients do not bring up any concerns. If that's not hard enough, you also wake up every day hoping that the owner has not gone on an internal rampage and flooded the team with fuming emails. Low pay is the norm and the owner thrives off of interns and staff that can live with their family or rely on a significant other as there is no other way to get by on her average salary. If you find yourself here, be sure to take advantage of all of the free perks of being a publicist since this is likely the only way you can survive and lead any form of comfortable life.

Advice to Management

Learn to value your staff as they are the backbone of your company. If you do not motivate them to stick around, take responsibility and pass along knowledge, this company will forever be staffed by intern level publicists. A decision also needs to be made on behalf of the owner - step away and hire somebody to run the company or get up to date and fully integrated. It's impossible for staff to properly service clients when they are constantly playing the emotional/whereabouts lottery with the owner.

Don't do it

Former Employee - Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Red Light PR full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to learn a lot in a very short time period - if you're capable and responsible, you'll be handling your own clients within a few months with very little direction. Due to the workload, you can build a great portfolio in very little time. The other employees are really great to work with and you'l have a lot of fun on the good days.

Cons

Pay is incredibly low - much lower than industry standard. CEO is unreliable and temperamental - some days she's totally off the grid and won't respond to anything at all, and other days she's Skyping and calling in a panic all day. She will verbally abuse you if you let her. Turnover is very high and employee moral is VERY low. When I was there, three people quit and within two months of me leaving, five more people quit. There is an entirely new staff than there was two years ago. It's just not worth it.

Advice to Management

Get it together.

10. Good Place to Start, Terrible Place to Stay

Current Employee - Account Executive

Pros

Great entry level fashion pr position, you'll learn the ropes quickly and be given a ton of responsibilities from the start. You'll receive priceless experience with handling clients straight away. You will learn to get creative pitches as there are many less than desirable clients brought on to the roster every month. Ambitious employees learn to take the lead and are therefore be able to get a stellar portfolio of work in a short amount of time!

Cons

You will have lots of responsibilities with very little pay or incentives to do a good job. The account executive team runs itself while the CEO is often times absent and uninvolved. No one in the team is over 30 and you will not be able to support yourself on the salary here without parental support. Most people don't stay longer than 2 years - the turnaround rate is higher than most, the majority of the staff is buying time until they are afforded better opportunities

Advice to Management

the management will need to pay staff more fairly in order to gain a more loyal staff. the staff needs more guidance to take the firm to the next level.

RUN FOR THE HILLS!

Current Employee - Account Executive

Pros

Pros -You'll be hired on fresh from college and thrown into the busy life of fashion PR. You will have to learn to run before you can walk so the crazy work load teaches time management.

Cons

Poorly run, not fair compensation, abusive owner treats employees like dirt, office is not kept up to date, promotions are promised but never seen through, overall nightmare. I was there for a year and a half and over 50% of the staff turned over in that time.

Advice to Management

must recognize your business will sink without your employees, you must treat fairly for any retention.

RSS Feed </> Embed