Red Light PR

3.2

Jen Phillips

Best Experience for First Internship

I worked at Red Light PR as an intern

Pros

I've done MANY internships within the fashion industry while in college and RLPR was one of my most favorite experience. There are always negative sides to being an intern, but I definitely got a feel for the PR industry through all of the hands on assignments I did. I worked in a busy showroom to realize the fast pace business that is PR, I saw and received recognition on placements I helped garner, I covered many events with the most fun group of Account Executives, and Jen Phillips (amongst the rest of the RLPR team) really teach you about the industry and get to know what you're good at and what you're not.

Cons

Interning while in school can be overwhelming sometimes, but I felt that the management was very understanding when it came to my schooling.

Interning at Red Light PR is what you make of it.

I worked at Red Light PR as an intern

Pros

-great networking opportunities
    -you learn how to interact with stylists, magazines
    -you learn about pitching
    -Matt and Jenna really take you under their wing and show you the ropes

Cons

-Horrible computer system so it takes twice the amount of time for projects and only 3 computers work
    -too many interns
    -spending too much of the internship "checking in clothing"

If the CEO says the internship program is her baby and the interns keep her going, then why was she only in the office once every two weeks?

Great Learning Opportunity

Former Employee - Intern in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Red Light PR as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Wonderful, helpful, and friendly staff. Chance to learn a lot of different aspects of the PR world.

Cons

Not always enough resources for the number of interns.

Continue developing intern skills and engaging them in real tasks. I know this is rare for most internships but assisting on important everyday tasks was the best way to learn.

You Get What You Give, Great Company & Great Experience

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Red Light PR part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I interned here throughout the summer of 2014 and honestly had an incredible experience. The employees are wonderful people and RLPR is like a little family. That being said, I 100% believe that you get what you give with this experience. Some interns came and went without really putting in any effort but if you are hard working and willing this will be a good experience for you too.

Some Pros:
    -a ton of networking opportunities
    -assisting in event planning
    -get to experience the basics of styling/assist stylists that come in the showroom
    -learn basics of pitching to new outlets
    -gain experience in social media tracking & learn importance of social media
    -gain a clear understanding of how the fashion pr industry works
    -overall confidence in beginning a career in the pr world

Advice to incoming interns: be eager and ASK for projects. Matt and Jenna will most likely ask you for assistance in projects regardless, but the more you ask the more you will get out of the internship. If you sit around waiting for direction, you probably won't enjoy the internship as much. At RLPR you can really choose the direction of how successful your internship is. Just like in the real world, you have to go after what you want. I loved this internship because I worked hard.

Cons

The only real issue I had with the internship is problems with too many interns & not enough computers. RLPR really is working to fix the whole computer problem, but it was definitely frustrating at times to have to share 3 computers when we all have something we needed to do on them.

I'm really seeing a lot of positive changes in RLPR and I'm confident about the future of the intern program. Thanks for a great experience

"Great learning experience"

Current Employee - Intern in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Intern in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Red Light PR as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- You learn how to multitask
    - Develop work ethic
    - Develop phone skills
    - Establish relationships
    - Obtain knowledge about industry
    - Exposure to brands
    - Closer look at styling, PR work and preparing for events

As an intern you will learn not only about PR writing, but how a stylist works. There are many things that go into styling and preparing a client. Not only do you learn about that, but you also learn about how the showroom is run. There are things that go into running a showroom that people could never imagine. Your hard work will be recognized and rewarded.

Cons

- A lot of people in one room (not a problem as long as you keep the room clean)

It said there is a 20 word minimum.. so..

RUN. As fast as you can in the opposite direction.

I worked at Red Light PR as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

You may meet stylists from popular magazines (use this time to network!)
    You'll learn how to fill an excel sheet.
    You may listen to music.
    Oh and the best one, you get an email address!
    Great for school credit.

Cons

You're not allowed to network at press events because you act as a server to the guests.
    The air conditioner is LOUD to the point it drowns out every word anyone says but you get yelled at for not hearing the doorbell.
    Everyone who works there is scatterbrained, so do not expect things to be organized.
    Employees lie to clients.
    Busy work.
    No mentorship.
    Jen speaks to her clients as if they're scum when in actuality she needs them.
    The interns stay in the back to log in product that may or may not be returned.
    There are no real connections after the internship.

Overall: A disappointing excuse for a PR internship. Do NOT waste your time. Nothing learned here can be utilized in the public relations industry.

Actually DO work. Don't go into hiding or be lazy.

hands on

I have been working at Red Light PR

Pros

The best reason to work at Red light is the overall connections. A lot of stylist come in to pull for editorials so while they pull, we able to talk to them about their careers. That is only on slow days, because the interns usually have several jobs to do at once.

Cons

To every pro there is a con. There are days that the interns are just doing very tedious work that has nothing to do with the program. Such as cleaning bathrooms, filling the dishwashers, just things that everyone should be able to pick behind their own mess.

Matt and Jen are great. The only advice I would give is to be more involved with the interns. Such as asking whats their next steps after the internship is complete and making sure that they learned as much as possible.

I worked as a PR Intern for almost 6 months

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Red Light PR as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great networking opportunity--you get the chance to meet tons of stylists and you are in contact with major magazines
    Help with major events like NYFW, press previews, launch events

Cons

There were way too many interns--led to a lot of sitting around or too many people on one project
    CEO did not pay much attention to make sure we were learning what we were there for
    Supervisor had favorites
    NEVER worked with account executives--never got the chance to see what they do

Management needs to get it together. She does not value her employees. She is very emotional and takes that out on the team. She can be very degrading. She also makes many promises and does not fulfill them.

It was an ok experience, I learned a lot and already knew some of the things taught to me.

Former Employee - Intern in Hollywood, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Hollywood, CA

I worked at Red Light PR as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Interning here was great. They were very flexible with schedules and understood that the interns had school and assignments to complete.

Cons

The lunch break was short for an 8 hour day and sometimes you did the same thing everyday without learning anything PR related.

Give your interns more work related to PR and work more directly with them.

The experience is how you make it to be.

I worked at Red Light PR as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- Strengthened my organization skills
    - Communicate with stylist/editors professionally
    - Check in and check out garment pulls
    - Blogger/Stylist reach out
    - Merchandising the showroom
    - Strengthened my EXCEL spreadsheet skills
    - Learned how to use CISIONPOINT
    - Experience a "PRESS PREVIEW" event, which was cool.

Overall a good internship experience. An "intern" must come into the place hungry to learn more. The first few weeks you'll be asked to do check ins and check outs, keeping the showroom organized and some not necessarily PR related tasks. But eventually, you will be put on tasks by specific account executives. It's a chill environment to work at but I suggest to always ask for things to do. Speak out on what you wish to learn. The A.Es are always helpful and friendly. If you want a good experience, just have a good attitude, appreciate the tasks thrown your way and do the best you can.

Cons

- Sometimes 4-5 tasks will be thrown your way and it can be really stressful. But it actually trained me to multitask.
    - Not enough computers working for the interns.

Thanks for the experience. I had a good time here!