Red Lobster

Red Lobster Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Red Lobster President Kim Lopdrup

Kim Lopdrup

Pros:
  • "Flexible schedule, it's usually easy to pick up extra shifts or to give shifts away"
    in 39 reviews
  • "Flexible hours, fast & easy money, great atmosphere, friendly faces"
    in 22 reviews
Cons:
  • "Long hours, leave when managers tell you to leave"
    in 22 reviews
  • "4 table stations to ensure guests get what they want then 1 year later changing back to 3 table stations"
    in 12 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Alley Coordinator

ProsYou are always busy and will be trained a lot of different positions.

ConsVery few cons if any!

Advice to Senior ManagementI really think they should have spent more time in training employees. Other than that it was great!

Don't get fired!

Server (Former Employee)

ProsPeople I worked with were great, managers were easy to work with, money was good.

ConsIf you're constantly a few minutes late, they will fire you, and then you will never be able to work for Darden again. Company policy. If you worked there when you were an irresponsible 19 year old, and go back several years later because you actually loved your job and you realized you messed up a good thing, too bad for you!

No complaints, very enjoyable.

Clearwater, FL

ProsGood money, good team, good food. Overall very accommodating to schedules and my restaurant gave you an opportunity for advancement

ConsNot a steady paycheck, money can vary depending on different circumstances.

Advice to Senior Managementnothing.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Server

Tifton, GA

ProsGreat staff, great atmosphere, a great company to work for, and you can advance to management quickly.

ConsThere are certain times if the year when we are slow, which means less money for the servers.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management staff is great! I don't have any complaints!

Good place to work

Certified Trainer/Server (Current Employee)
    Lake City, FL

ProsGood pay available, most of the employees work as a team to make sure the company runs smoothly. Great advancement opportunities.

ConsSometimes you are not heard as an employee. You have to be able to voice your opinion to a manager and have them listen.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open to tweaks and small changes to make the restaurant better.

eh

Host/Hostess (Current Employee)
    Valley Stream, NY

Prospay is higher than other restaurants.

ConsAnnoying managers that don't care about employees, rude and no respect among co-workers.

Advice to Senior Managementstart caring about your employees more than the number of "cheeks in a seat"

Strict work environment

Server (Former Employee)
    Plano, TX

ProsEveryone that worked here was a family
    Easy to take time off due to large number of waitstaff

ConsDue to clientele, pay was terrible 90% of the time
    Small three table sections
    Strict rules enforced, such as requirements for long introduction, explaining all menus, etc. This would always start a table off in a bad mood due to the length of this spiel that they did not want to hear
    High turnover rate

Advice to Senior ManagementSome of the rules here were beyond strict and ridiculous. There was no leeway and many servers who had worked there for decades were getting fired over silly reasons. Many believed this was done to help shave off expenses such as their paid vacations, etc. This was not a fun place to work, and the serious work environment did not fit the restaurant. This is not a Michelin restaurant. It's RED LOBSTER. Maybe that's why the company isn't doing so well.

Red Lobster bartending

Bartender (Current Employee)

ProsThe money is good, better than Id be making sitting behind a desk. You meet some really great people. It sucks that those people are usually the first to quit too.

ConsRed Lobster has some of the rudest guests Ive ever seen. And a lot of people tip under the general amount for no reason. Appetizers come out to tables AFTER the entrees all the time. Guests are rightfully pissed off and it severely impacts your tip because the kitchen runs so poorly. They really dont care about their staff. If theres problems with a coworker they wont do anything to solve it but say they will. They will cut staff in order to save hours on their labor and then do nothing to help when everyone gets slammed all at once. They randomly decide to not do liquor orders some weeks and we completely run out of beer, rum, tequila etc. they hire bartenders with no experience and expect them to know the food menu and drink menu after two training shifts. They prefer workers that will just go along with whatever and not say anything rather than ones that abide by the rules and try to uphold them. You have to move fast to keep up.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your act together. One week were told to do things way A and the next week were scolded for not doing them way B. It makes absolutely no sense. Hire more SAs (Sever Assistants AKA bussers/food runners) during weekend shifts to lessen wait times and help servers flip tables quicker. Everyone wins. Increase labor hours because a large amount of our complaints are due to us being under staffed due to cuts for labor.

Very busy, constant multi-tasking, not enough hours

Tupelo, MS

ProsThe money is good on the weekends and at night, if you can get scheduled for these shifts, which is difficult.

ConsBeing new, they give you shifts that are not wanted by the people that have been there longer. In turn, it makes it very hard to make money being new.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be nice to be clear in the beginning about what shifts will be available

The abusive relationship is over!

General Manager (Former Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsGood salary, nice benefits, that's it

ConsHuge disconnect between upper mgmt and operations. All about labor controls and not what is right for the customer or employee. They do not walk the talk, fake upper mgmt

Advice to Senior ManagementYour days are numbered anyway, you took a great brand and ruined it. Get in their and actually learn how to run the restaurants.

Worked for Red Lobster? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Red Lobster reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Red Lobster CEO Kim Lopdrup . All 456 reviews posted anonymously by Red Lobster employees.