Red Nova Labs

Updated August 4, 2014
Updated August 4, 2014
4.7

Dan Miller

Great place to learn new skills and grow in your career.

I have been working at Red Nova Labs full-time

Pros

Red Nova Labs is filled with young, fun, gifted people. I look forward to coming to work everyday and am fortunate to work with people who are passionate about creating and/or supporting our product lines. The friendships I've made here have been invaluable to me in both my personal and professional life.

At many other jobs, you would be relegated to only knowing what is essential to your job title. This is not the case at RNL. I feel like everyone has the opportunity to learn new skills if they desire and the structure of the company provides the ability wear many hats, gaining invaluable knowledge along the way.

Overall, the culture embodies the "work hard, play hard" mentality. There may not be a party everyday, but working with this lively crew always keeps it interesting and enjoyable.

Cons

This organization would not be a good fit for you if you're looking for a structured, inflexible, process oriented environment. Priorities on projects change often and you have to be quick on your feet in order to be successful.

Compensation is also on the low end of average for most positions in the company. However, people are often given the chance to prove themselves in roles that they may be inexperienced in and these opportunities will help advance their careers in the future.

Red Nova Labs is one of a kind

I have been working at Red Nova Labs full-time

Pros

RNL is a rare gem. It's hard to find a place that really "gets it.” The company has evolved and grown immensely over time because the work is intentionally executed to create solid, meaningful results. There's not a lot of busy work or working just for the sake of working. It's all for a reason.

The team is wonderful. You won't find better people. Everyone leads an interesting life both in and outside of work. You can't put a value on that. I genuinely like everyone and consider many co-workers my close friends.

I'm not motivated by parties and hand-outs, but there's definitely plenty of that to go around. The website and social media aren't lying. You won't find another RNL.

The standards are high and people care about what they do. The final products reflect that. If you take high expectations as a challenge, you'll be proud of what you do and see the payoff.

Most importantly, the experience will grow you. You're not doing mindless work. You're part of a team that pushes you. You'll have more responsibility than you expected. You’ll learn to roll with the punches. And you're going to grow. When a new chapter begins, you will have plenty to speak to from your time at RNL.

Cons

As with any company, you can't ignore turnover. And it hits close to home when you're close to the people you work with. It's partly organic (life situations changing, moving, etc) and partly due to the nature of a small business. But that's part of the risk in working at a small company. There are plenty of safer options. You just have to weigh whether or not safer is better.

I credit most potential cons to the company being young. We're fun, passionate, and dramatic. That paired with perfectionism makes us hard on ourselves and expect better. I’m not sure if this is a pro or con but I think we tend to knit pick flaws and undervalue pros. I wouldn't want to lose the desire to improve and grow though. That's a pretty quick path to complacency.

Every small company has highs and lows. We've had both, but we're probably stronger because of it. I can't imagine myself anywhere else.

I have loved being apart of a company that has had a major role in changing/transforming an entire industry!

I have been working at Red Nova Labs full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

One of the best parts about working here has been the amount of success and growth Red Nova Labs has had over the past several years. Not too many people can say they work for a company that day after day continually improves their customers businesses by lowering their operating cost, help them generating significant revenue/profits, and help businesses owners exceed their expectations of our services by succeeding much more than they ever imagined. Red Nova Labs as continually been full of great employees who are even better people which makes coming to work something you look forward to rather than just being a routine. Upper management rewards employees who continually work hard to exceed expectations, hit performance goals, and improve themselves as an employee while improving the company. From the CEO to the Operations Director to my own personal boss, I know that they not only care about me as an employee but as a friend as well and it's comforting to know that I can go to them for help with any problem, concern, or issue work or non work related. Red Nova Labs has also had great benefits(insurance, 401k, profit sharing, etc..) while upper management continues to look for ways to improve on them by adding additional benefits, lower cost out of pocket for employees, etc.

Cons

With Red Nova Labs fun/energetic/young culture I feel like some employees(current and past) take too much advantage of the culture. Some people occasionally struggle with separating/balancing when it is time for fun and when it is time to lock down to finish a task or accomplish a goal/deadline.

Good place to start, bad place to grow.

Current Employee - Employee in Westwood, KS
    Current Employee - Employee in Westwood, KS

I have been working at Red Nova Labs as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

When you work at RNL you have the opportunity to work with a great group of people. Most everyone is very supportive, smart and a little bit weird. It is wonderful working with a great group of people working towards common goals. The company culture is a lot of fun - BBQs, snacks, outings. All make for great bonding.

Cons

This company is focused on the self storage industry, which can be fairly repetitive and boring. A majority of the people you are working with are self storage owners... which may or may not be your cup of tea.

The organization structure is constantly changing. The company can't seem to figure out how they want to be structured. If you work here be prepared to have your manager change several times. This can be a good thing because you get to work with a variety of people but also confusing. The company claims to be transparent but there is a lot going on that people don't know about.

There is a lot of turnover at this company. It is a nice place to start your career but if you are interested in growing, learning more or getting a promotion I would start your search elsewhere. They have a revolving door of developers and recently went through a lay off because of mismanagement.

The compensation is no where near what you would make at other places. They seem to undervalue their employees which is disappointing since there are great group of people working there.

Fantastic Place to Start a Career

I have been working at Red Nova Labs

Pros

The work usually varies, and management is always interested in keeping the work balanced and project interesting. The benefits to working here are wonderful - from free lunches to company outings. The people are also great, and everyone makes you feel welcome which is important!

Cons

You have to be flexible to work here, and that's important to consider when thinking about working here!

Opportunity to Make a Difference

Current Employee - Business Development
    Current Employee - Business Development

I have been working at Red Nova Labs full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I love working with an intelligent team that goes to work each day to make an impact in our industry. Having great products that actually help our clients makes sales a lot of fun.

Cons

Lots of changes. You must be flexible. Is that really a con though?

Fun, challenging work with a bright group of people!

I have been working at Red Nova Labs full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Collaborative environment, everybody rises to each new challenge with a can-do attitude.

Cons

Really such a great place to work, I can't think of a single con.

Awesome work environment

Current Employee - Business Development in Westwood, KS
    Current Employee - Business Development in Westwood, KS

I have been working at Red Nova Labs full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I sincerely come to work everyday with a smile on my face. It is rare to find a job that you can actually wake up, excited to get to work. This company offers growth, and comfortable work environment.

Cons

Be prepared for change, but in a good way. This company is always looking for an advantage, and different avenues to strive for excellence.

Engaging work for team and personal growth

Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Westwood, KS
    Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Westwood, KS

I have been working at Red Nova Labs full-time

Pros

Everyday I come to work has been a new excuse to continue to grow and learn something new. Everyday we are encouraged to thing outside of the box and work as a team to build upon existing accomplishments.

Cons

For those that thrive to perform the same tasks day after day, this is not the place. We continue to adapt and adjust to industry demands; change is constant.

Like any startup, RNL comes with both opportunities and challenges.

Current Employee - Chief in Westwood, Jefferson, KY
    Current Employee - Chief in Westwood, Jefferson, KY

I have been working at Red Nova Labs full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There's a healthy balance of work and play.
    Employees are enabled to flex their entrepreneurial muscles.
    The organization is relatively flat and employees are encouraged to express opinions and drive.

Cons

As with any startup, the company is fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants.
    If you're looking for structure and comfortable day-by-day direction, this is not the place for you.
    Red Nova Labs is definitely suited to those comfortable with change.

It's difficult to determine the appeal of 8-to-5 structure. Some employees thrive in that kind of rigidity, others do not. On a limited basis, Red Nova Labs enables employees to choose the right work-life balance for them.