Be The First To
72% of the CEO
Stephen E. (Steve) Carley
2 people found this helpful
Pros – I think the company outside of the Training and Development arena is probably a great place to work.
Cons – My experience is with the Learning & Development portion of the business. Let me bullet my experience with these folks.
- Management by intimidation
- Instructionals Designers (ALL 3) at wits end, worked to bone, unhappy with the culture and their current job, in tears 50% of the time, and unappreciated
- Litte or no direction given for completing requested tasks, especially for a new person coming in to a 6 month long development project
- No feedback on performance
- No set expectations up front
- Reactionary environment instead of proactive environment; everything is a fire to put out, and a bandaid put on it - no long term plans in place
- Everything being created is idealized from one person's past employment and experience AND created based on THEIR preference - NOT sound instructional design methods
- I personally was treated like an outsider; no effort to integrate me into the department, culture, or overall company
In short, I have been working in the Instructional Design field for over 15 years, always received bonuses, raises, and promotions based on my performance. I am good at what I do and have a great attitude and will do anything I am asked to do, without questioning the motives behind it. But what I did for this company was picked apart, unappreciated, and I was disrespected.
I was humiliated in front of the other Instructional Designers and training employees by the leaders of this Learning & Development organization in a very public display of disrespect. UNACCEPTABLE.
Advice to Senior Management – Expecting perfection from someone who comes into your organization without setting expectations and providing direction up front is setting them up for failure. I am sure you knew that. There is not one method of instructional design, it comes in many forms. YOUR PREFERENCE should have been communicated UP FRONT and direction should have been provided UP FRONT. That's how you set someone up for success.
Your feedback has been sent to the team and we'll look into it.
Your response will be removed from the review – this cannot be undone.
No thanks –