Red Robin Reviews

Updated August 26, 2014

2.9

Red Robin CEO and Director Stephen E. (Steve) Carley
Stephen E. (Steve) Carley

Pros
  • Super flexible schedule; Only work during peak hours, mornings from 11-2 or nights from 5-9 (in 20 reviews)

• Work with great people who could lift your spirits (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • All in all, I loved me job their for my team members and the Guests (in 12 reviews)

• long hours and alot on lists to complete daily too much paperwork (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Cliquey, catty home office

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Greenwood Village, Arapahoe, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenwood Village, Arapahoe, CO

I have been working at Red Robin full-time

Pros

From the outside seems very friendly, fun and a a beautiful office. Nice perks

Cons

Many of the employees came up through the restaurant ranks, which is great. However, I find the already cliquey,back stabbers and throw people under the bus for their own betterment. I have never worked with such a mean 2 faced group of people before.

Up until the last month, the last 2-3 years have been great, right? What is DMP going to do as an encore? She's the star, but in a tough place after the last earning report, true? Anyway, you have some dysfunctional groups. The cattiness and bitchiness of some of your depts are unbelievable. Tear through the onion and make changes.

Times have changed

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Red Robin full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent Pay
    Corporate Retreats
    1 Weekend off a Month

Cons

Horrible Benefits
    Scorecard
    Corporate Disconnect
    Too many Meetings
    Backstabbing

Look at your benefit package. It is far underwhelming even for managers. You need to look at the leaders you have in place from the RVP rank down. You are losing managers because of the work environnment and disconnect between
    them and the ROD's. My region has lost 10+ managers since the beginning of the year and the ROD is clueless. Every store is shorthanded managers and your managers are run ragged right now. Our region has lost 4 GM's alone. The culture in place is different from before. Things are getting progressively worse.

Overran and underpaid.

Former Employee - Bartender/Certified Trainer  in  Lancaster, PA
    Former Employee - Bartender/Certified Trainer in Lancaster, PA

I worked at Red Robin full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fun atmosphere, good coworkers, nothing passed that.

Cons

Poor ppa, bills are so low and they tipped based on amount, management and guests run servers ragged with there bottomless concept,poorly managed(no manager from opening team still employed at location). Everything is frozen.

When your certified trainer puts in a 2 week notice, instead of letting bar manager take him off the schedule, let him train a new bartender!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Could have been better.

Current Employee - Host
    Current Employee - Host

I have been working at Red Robin part-time for more than a year

Pros

I wouldn't have stayed if it wasn't for some of the people that were there. I made some really good friends while I was there. My job (hosting) was super easy, and they usually worked with me on my schedule to accommodate me.

Cons

Where do I begin...

My store was a franchise so we were a little different from corporate. We had two owners, and one was HORRIBLE. He wasn't shy about letting you know he liked you, but would never actually talk to YOU about the problem. Instead he would talk to the managers, so he could have them talk to us. He had people fired for almost no reason, but when a manager was accused of sexual harassment nothing happened to him.

Being a host was easy, but dealing with getting bitched at by EVERYONE wasn't. If I wasn't getting yelled at by a guest for their 30 minute wait for their party of 20 on a Saturday night, I was getting yelled at by the servers that they aren't being sat, or they are being sat too much. We got yelled at if a server didn't get to their table fast enough (or if they just ignored it). Managers would come up with various new tasks for us on the spot that we were supposed to know about and yell at for not doing them. It gets old really quickly.

There are far more quality of life complaints, like the dirty store, to poor management, lack of training, or the utter lack of consequences when someone does actually do something bad. These all have to do with my store that I was at specifically.

Talk to each other. I don't need 3 managers telling me three different things. Also stop letting servers do whatever they want. There should be consequences for servers coming in trashed, rather than just laughing and letting them stay on the floor. Maybe hire an exterminator.

Great food, micro-managed atmosphere.

Former Employee - Server  in  Lake Havasu City, AZ
    Former Employee - Server in Lake Havasu City, AZ

I worked at Red Robin part-time for more than a year

Pros

Having cash on hand as a server is always a great benefit.

Cons

Micromanagement made working there difficult.

Stop Micromanaging.

Way Too Corpoate

Current Employee - Host  in  Citrus Heights, CA
    Current Employee - Host in Citrus Heights, CA

I have been working at Red Robin part-time for more than a year

Pros

Getting a paycheck, close to home, blah blah blah just filling this is for the minimum amount of words required.

Cons

Terrible pay, no tips for Hosts, schedule by performance and play favorites. Will promote you, not have proper training, then demote you for having such awful training. Standards are wayyyy too high. Have literally been told in server meetings that every guest MUST order alcohol, and to pretty much force it onto the guest. Every supervisor will have you work one way, then another will have you work a different way. No cohesiveness within the store. INSANE seating policy, hosts must seat areas according to age group NO QUESTIONS ASKED, making the servers get 5+ tables at a time. No benefits, vacation time or sick leave for hourly employees, CHEAP company. Hire 3 people to do the work of 10. Expect check out to be done in 30 minutes or LESS, including closing out tables and ALL sidework. No room to do said sidework (roll silverware, sort silverware etc). Broken equipment.

Find better trainers, promote those who work with integrity like your mission statement claims. Stop making every sale about alcohol. And for that matter, stop threatening employees with termination if they aren't in the "green" category for app/bev sales every day of their life. PAY BETTER! Tip the hosts! Enforce the whole "we don't have rotation anymore" policy. Actually give us more than 29.75 hours a week so we can AFFORD medical benefits!!!

Not managed well, don't recognize a job well done, definite favorites.

Current Employee - Server  in  Newark, DE
    Current Employee - Server in Newark, DE

I have been working at Red Robin part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You make ok money serving if you have an open availability

Cons

Favoritism from the managers to undeserving employees, some people get away with way too much, no one recognizes you for a good job but you will get chewed out if you mess anything up.

Great Part-Time Gig

Current Employee - Server  in  Bolingbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Server in Bolingbrook, IL

I have been working at Red Robin part-time for more than a year

Pros

Extremely flexible schedule! Friendly staff and great pay schedule.

Cons

Lots of management changes make meeting topics redundant.

Keep managers in place longer.

All About the Brand

Current Employee - Server  in  Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Server in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Red Robin part-time for more than a year

Pros

Love the cornerstones -- they apply both to the company and a lifestyle.
    Flexible Schedules -- great for college students
    Understanding Management
    Fun Environment!

Cons

Upper Management is disconnected from the Servers
    They score servers like bartenders -- it is much harder for a server to get a high Bev/App rate than a bartender
    They want you to sell more sodas, but require you to put in a water for certain appetizers (inconsistent scoring)

Listen to your servers -- they are the heart of your business. They are the ones in the trenches. If they are saying that they think that the Hospos should be in charge of the silverware, then there is probably a reason. If they are saying that the kitchen/hospos/other servers/other management is being disrespectful, then there is probably a reason. If a server actually busts their butt for the company and becomes a CLC -- reward them (because I am a CLC and I have received nothing but a 4 hour training with no food.

Server

Current Employee - Server  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Server in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Red Robin part-time for less than a year

Pros

Very Flexible scheduling. You can work as much or as little as you want.
    Management is pretty understanding on a personal level.
    High turn over rate of guests. You can turn tables quickly.
    Fun environment to work in.

Cons

Understaffed in the kitchen- our kitchen is run ragged on a regular basis
    The silverware situation is a nightmare.
    Too many promotions, free stuff, bottomless items, and royalty cards. All of which hurt the server the most.
    Riddiculous scoring for appetizers and beverages.
    No automatic gratuity and they take parties of 50 or more. It is riddiculous.
    Unruly children on the weekends.
    Not the most sanitary of conditions to be honest. Front of house more so than back of house.

The training on the ipad is pretty pointless for grown adults. That is not how most people learn. Also, the royalty cards are really a pain for the servers to deal with. We do not have the time to deal with the issues that come up with the cards on a regular basis. Also there is not enough incentive to sell, rather, I would encourage people to split a meal and skip the cup of soup in order to maintain my bev rates. And then I am also penalized for selling a large onion rings or a large buzz wings. Listen to the servers. We are the face of the company. The way we are scored for peoples overall satisfaction should NOT reflect on the server unless it was the service that they were dissatisfied with.

Worked for Red Robin? Contribute to the Community!