Red Robin Reviews

482 reviews filtered by

1. Corporate influence overrides fun

Former Employee - Server
    Former Employee - Server

I worked at Red Robin part-time (less than a year)

Pros

fellow servers, bartenders, bussers, kitchen staff all great to work with- good team environment
    good tips
    management works around your schedule
    management helps handle difficult customers

Cons

management way too focused on royalty cards and online surveys on receipts, to the extent that they based schedules off them. It only mattered if a customer complimented you in the survey; an in-person compliment may as well have never happened.
    training program lacking in information and structure
    so many servers that it's hard to get enough shifts

remember your employees are people trying to support themselves
    if you have a favorite or least favorite, don't make it incredibly obvious

2. Ehh

Former Employee - Food Server in Milford, OH
    Former Employee - Food Server in Milford, OH

I worked at Red Robin

Pros

Fun people and decent money

Cons

Poorly run, always running out of stock making the job very hard to do

Get rid of old underperformers

3. it has its ups and downs. great tips.

Current Employee - Server/Bartender in Visalia, CA
    Current Employee - Server/Bartender in Visalia, CA

I have been working at Red Robin part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

tips .flexible hours, always something new

Cons

no benefits for servers or other emplyees besidese manager

appreciate employess more

5. General manager

I have been working at Red Robin

Pros

Fast advancement. Good benefits. Fast paced and fun work environment.

Cons

Evenings and weekends. Employee turnover. Cleaning up after little kids all day long.

Great Place to Work for a College Student

I worked at Red Robin

Pros

Red Robin does a great job of preparing their employees and making sure that you are knowledgable about the product you are selling. It's a great family atmosphere with alcohol sales but I never had to deal with drunks like you do in other places. There's always room for advancement.

Cons

The management doesn't always lead by example and tend to lack in professionalism. The training program to be a waiter/waitress is a bit excessive for the position.

Seek out more talent to promote internally. I worked with great waiters that we're graduating college that knew how the specific restaurant could be improved from personal experiences with management that would've made excellent managers, yet, Red Robin kept pulling in outside talent which constantly lead to turnover and declining respect for authority.

7. Very poor training program for new employees

I worked at Red Robin

Pros

Local restaurant in my town

Cons

Zero training, all you hear is what you are doing wrong. Management very overwhelmed with responsibilities. In working in the Corporate world for over 20 years in training and hiring, the structure at Red Robin from a corporate
    viewpoint might be successful, but from an employee very poor execution. I have experienced first hand the managers
    completely looking out for themselves and I'm sure they have some kind of bonus plan, if they keep their hours under a certain number, their inventory purchases under a certain number. With these bonuses, they short staff and cause employees to work non stop with no breaks, having to use tools in cooking that do not measure correctly so recipes are off, not having the correct product to make recipes because they do not want to order inventory. So, in the end "Corporate" sees good numbers, they give out Bonuses to GM's and Managers. HOH, FOH, and all other employees get abused mentally and physically.
     Red Robin has a great product no doubt about it, I learned a lot from an employee point of view.

I can't imagine what that would be, I know you have huge demands put on you
    from corporate and have families of your own. The management have a tough
    job, and to have change would require "corporate" to make that happen. As long
    as Red Robin is showing a profit to their investors, there will be no Improvement!

8. For the mosthe part, I have enjoyed working for this company.

Current Employee - Hostess in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Hostess in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Red Robin

Pros

At my particular location, the management is awesome. It's a pretty easy job and most of the people I work with are great so there's not much to complain about.

Cons

I've heard that employees at different locations hate their jobs. From what I've determined, the manager will make or break your experience here.

You should hire general managers from outside the company. GM's tend to start feeling untouchablenegate they've been with the company so long once they reach that position and they walk all over their employees because of it.

9. Don't Work Here

Former Employee - Hostess in Silverdale, WA
    Former Employee - Hostess in Silverdale, WA

I worked at Red Robin

Pros

The only thing I liked about working here was the people. By that I mean my co-workers and even the guests. My co-workers and I had a blast. We often all got together for late night hangouts at Applebees after work or ladies night out with the girls. We would rant and rave about how terrible management is.

Cons

There is almost absolutely no room for personal growth here. When you get hired on, they promise you that you'll get hired on as a server; you just have to start off as a hostess/busser to learn the restaurant. You soon come to realize that this is a web of lies that tricks people into working there. People have been working there over a year and still have not received the opportunity to progress, even though they have asked management multiple times before. What also happens if your rates aren't meeting a certain corporate standard, is demotion. If you don't hit a minimum rate order amount overtime (e.g. drink sales, promo rates, up-sale charges) they move you back down to hostess/busser again. Their YummU program they are implementing to engage employees in feeling like they have a say over issues is a deference for when issues like this get brought. The only time I felt treated nicely by management, was when corporate came to visit. Management knew they were being watched and would make us put on a show that implied all of us were happy and that our guests were happy. In reality, management would make condescending remarks such as "Oh its ok, don't worry, ill run everyone's food, its not like I'm busy and have a restaurant to manage." If you were brave enough to even ask for a fry fill, a most common response would be, "Go run some food, then maybe you'll get some." One last thing, if you try to contact Human Resources, don't bother. The number they give on the website is automated and tells you "we will get back to you." This is the worst place I have ever worked and wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Treat your employees with respect and we will respect you. Stop promising people promotions and personal growth within the company if you don't actually intend on promoting them. Lastly, this Red Robin Store should seriously consider putting up a sign outside their store advocating, "UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT."

10. Made you stay after your scheduled shift time and took 3 months to finally get paid.

Current Employee - Hostess in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Hostess in Portland, OR

I have been working at Red Robin part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Kind of fun work environment. They start you off as a hostess regardless of skills and previous work experience. They won't promote until after 1 year.

Cons

If you're over 18, the place to work there is too young for you. Management very difficult to follow through with anything. Took 3 months to get paid. I had signed up for direct deposit and it never went through and I never received pay stubs. Management just shrugged and said "hmm, ask this manager." Ultimately, quit and went through corporate to get paid.

Figure out how to pay your employees without shrugging them off. Promote, don't make a over qualified hostess wait a year before doing so.

11. Great company to work for

I have been working at Red Robin full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They care about people and results

Cons

Sometimes complicated goals make getting the team on board tough.