Red Ventures Reviews

Reset
3.4
Red Ventures CEO Ric Elias
Ric Elias

Pros
  • flat culture and supportive staff, great basketball court (in 18 reviews)

• great work environment OFF of the phone (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Absolutely no work/life balance (in 10 reviews)

• High pressure is an understatement (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Web Designer: Better than an agency. Way better than inhouse.

Current Employee - Web Designer in Fort Mill, SC
    Current Employee - Web Designer in Fort Mill, SC

I have been working at Red Ventures full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Work the hours you want to work, just get your work done. - Take a break and play basketball, go bowling, shoot some pool, or play corn hole on the roof. - Continued education is encouraged - There is opportunity to grow within the company. - The tech you expect and most up to date software. Whatever you need, just request it. - You get to work with some of the best in your field and smartest people around. - Team outings every few months, especially on a big win. Company wide happy hours every month. - Amazing campus with all the amenities. - Great benefits. Plus opportunities to get stock in the company. Affordable healthcare plans. - Subsidized meals, and two on site cafes. Plus a food truck. - Free trip to the Caribbean each year. What else can beat that?

Cons

- Very fast paced, if you can't keep up, then it's not the place for you. - Pretty intense interview process. But hey, if you want to work with the best, you have to show you're the best and prove it. - You have to move desks every few months. But I kinda like moving. - I really don't have many, I love my "job".

Advice to Management

I love my manager and senior leadership. If I had to give any advice, get to know those who you don't normally interact with on a day to day basis. Sometimes it's nice to just walk by and say - Hi "name", how's it going? And acknowledge one another besides saying just hi.

2. A Great Software Engineering Destination

Former Employee - Director of Engineering in Fort Mill, SC
    Former Employee - Director of Engineering in Fort Mill, SC

I worked at Red Ventures full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In short, Red Ventures is an amazing company. As a software engineer you will learn tons of valuable skills and accelerate your career at a crazy pace. If you want to be heads-down programmer, just understand that the culture is very collaborative and full of extroverts. You see first handed how business and technology mesh to drive value. Mythbusting... “RV is a sweatshop for engineers”. They demand a higher level of engagement and push you to understand “why” -- not just the “how”. RV stretches engineers to help them understand what they are capable of. It may seem uncomfortable at first but you will be thankful one day when you realize this constant driving makes you an awesome engineer. RV requires no more energy than a scrappy startup working towards their first funding round. “Technology isn’t important”. Technology is the engine that drives Red Ventures. Developers like building cool stuff, everyone understands that. But, at RV technology decisions are always made with business value in mind. Want to refactor old code or build a new system? Well, does it unlock potential and create more opportunities? Or, does it fix a potential issue that’s negatively impacting a customers experience? If you can’t justify the business value then it will not get green-lit. I like to work on things that make money, not just look cool in my IDE :)

Cons

A side effect of the flat corporate structure is a lack of transparency around career advancement. There isn’t a clearly defined path for engineers to move up to the higher ranks and/or into leadership roles. RV attracts and hires the best tech talent but chooses to do so at a discount. Charlotte's cost of living is low, the building/amenities are wonderful, beer taps are always full, annual trips are amazing, career growth inspiring, but intentionally keeping salaries below market rate is petty.

Advice to Management

Compensate talent appropriately; not only for new hires but current employees. Focus on making technology more transparent and defining the different roles that exist within the company.

3. Red ventures outlook

I have been working at Red Ventures

Pros

Very. Fun and fast paced environment to work in. A lot of work incentives

Cons

You have to overwork yourself to keep your position

5. Challenging and fast-paced

Current Employee - Analyst in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Analyst in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Red Ventures (More than a year)

Pros

As a smaller company there are tons of opportunities here. If you're interested in an area, like learning more about being a data architect or becoming a PHP developer, this company is talent-hungry and will support your exploration of new skill sets.

Cons

Sometimes people try to juggle too many balls at once: some employees confuse being busy with being successful, and as a result it's difficult to work with them.

Advice to Management

We want to move fast here but make sure there is space for someone to do a deep dive into a potentially valuable area of knowledge.

6. Sales Rep

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Red Ventures full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work hours, exciting work environment where you didnt have to worry about being quiet and serious. It was alot of fun and they would have games for the agents to play when ever we made a sale

Cons

Point system for attendance, Point system for QA, before i left they had raised how many sales we needed that month knowing that our call volume was going to be low for the month and that put a lot of stress on us agents...

Advice to Management

Instead of giving us a different manager every couple months, i think it would have been helpful to have one manager because it was difficult to keep up with what we were suppose to be working on when each manager was telling us something different

7. Experience

I worked at Red Ventures

Pros

The best job I have ever had

Cons

You better hit your numbers

8. Decent

I worked at Red Ventures full-time

Pros

Great pay, decent benefits, really fun work environment with competitive people and commission was great

Cons

Long hours, a lot of overtime, not many breaks, always asking to cut lunch short & not flexible scheduling

Advice to Management

Start taking time to actually get to know your employees and learn their needs. Care about them.

Software Engineer

I have been working at Red Ventures full-time

Pros

Free environment where you can really execute on your ideas and goals. Very good support from your peers and management as well.

Cons

Sometimes you're challenged to go outside your comfort zone, which can be a good thing, but at the end of the day you have to stay true to who your are.

Advice to Management

Keep allowing those under you to have the freedom necessary to execute on ideas that they feel are important.

10. Accelerate Your Career

I have been working at Red Ventures

Pros

Great place to work. Dynamic, fast-paced environment. Opportunity to take on as much responsibility as you are able to handle and get a broader set of experiences/responsibilities than most other companies. Performance-based culture & compensation model.

Cons

Not for you if... -you are not flexible/adaptable -you are not okay with change -you don't want to be a part of a team -you don't want to be stretched or uncomfortable in your role -you lack passion, curiosity, or a sense of humor

Advice to Management

Continue to push thinking outside the box, take bigger calculated risks, and be willing to allow employees to stretch and grow

11. Great Job beware of the slam

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Fort Mill, SC
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Fort Mill, SC

I worked at Red Ventures full-time

Pros

Opportunity to make great money. Management is driven to help you succeed. Best work environment I have ever been a part of the culture is awesome.

Cons

You can tell that there are hidden politics going on that employees aren't aware of but are affected by. They train you to walk the line and you get ultimately penalized for tipping over.

Advice to Management

Make sure you know what will get someone fired before you tell them to do it. There's plenty of money to make without being shady and people can't make any money if they get fired so don't coach people to do things that will get them not you in trouble.

RSS Feed </> Embed