Red Ventures

Updated March 3, 2015
3.2

Red Ventures CEO Ric Elias
Ric Elias

Pros
  • Food in the cafe is good, free yoga, basketball court, company trip (in 18 reviews)

• Great benefits: casual dress, flat structure and fast-paced work environment (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Its hard to get to bed at 2am most nights and still have a work/life balance (in 10 reviews)

• It's high pressure at times it's a fight to the finish with certain calls u got to be prepared and have tough skin (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Great environment, little career advancement

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Fort Mill, SC
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Fort Mill, SC

I worked at Red Ventures full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I loved working at RV for many years. The facilities are state of the art and full of great amenities like a full court basketball court, fitness gym, bowling alley, on-site clinic, and several eateries.

Cons

1. The instability in the pay structure. You only earn $10.00/he base pay + uncapped commissions. The problem is that the commission structure constantly changes. You may make $1000 or $5000 a month...you never know.
    2. To advance your career into a manage role, you will take a severe pay cut. It's backwards of any place I've ever seen. You are talking about dropping your overall salary from $60,000 to less than $40,000.
    3. The sales perform managers, as a result of point #2, are young, barely out of college managers who can afford to take the pay cut. That results in little to no coaching and improvement of sales skills.

Pay the sales performance management levels a fair salary. This will open up seasoned veterans with proven sales and leadership skills to make the move. This will help build the sales teams performance and build a higher degree of success for the company.

Awesomeness!

Current Employee - Performance Manager in Fort Mill, SC
    Current Employee - Performance Manager in Fort Mill, SC

I have been working at Red Ventures (more than a year)

Pros

This place changed my life. I had little sales experience when I started and did not think I would make it for long. By the time I left, I was consistently in the top 4 percent of the company and had been promoted to teach others what I learned. I can confidently say that after my experience, I can sell and do anything- no matter the product or service using the sales techniques and overall experience I learned there. Additionally, I met some of the most interesting people that became like family to me, which is honestly the most striking part of the culture- as we did everything together. That sense of family and belonging with so many people is what I will miss the most.

Cons

Unfortunately, it's like high school and some people refer to the culture as a 'cult'. If you don't immerse or reject the culture, it could affect your chances of advancement or in some cases, your job. Also, if someone in an area of management doesn't like you on a personal level, they can make things difficult for you regarding advancement or career path, it sounds crazy but it is happening.

Most people fall in love with the culture, its awesome! Keep in mind that this is not only a source of income and job for your people, it is also an aspect of many other areas of their life. Ensure that those in management are operating with fair practices company wide. There are a variety of situations that your employees find themselves in that may not be legal or could lead to lawsuit. Nip that in the bud early before it eats away at the company from the inside. Try to find a way you can maintain the fun culture while ensuring no one is feeling demoralized in the process. EEO and unions may not be the answer, but keeping an open door policy so that when there is an issue, your employees feel safe to speak about it with someone. Other than that, keep rocking it out!

Good place to start after college

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Red Ventures

Pros

Good money if you work hard. Fantastic benefits! If you work hard then you can advance.

Cons

Poor late hours, hourly pay could be wat better, and team leaders could be better and more helpful.

Keep hiring good people and promote better team leaders.

Great money, but stressful..............................

I have been working at Red Ventures

Pros

great money if your a true salesman, uncapped commission, great for a recent college graduate that needs money

Cons

micromanged to the extreme, lack of management, irregular hours, modern day slave shop

more promotions, better training, better leadership

Git on the phone and crank

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Spring Hill, Richland, SC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Spring Hill, Richland, SC

I worked at Red Ventures full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for if you love cranking out the sales. dynamic individuals, great macaroni and cheese in the cafeteria

Cons

Its true, the worse you lie to customers the better your commission check. hey, at least they spif'd the hell out of nfl sunday ticket!

keep the non-closers off the phone.

Fun place to work

Former Employee - Sales Agent in Fort Mill, SC
    Former Employee - Sales Agent in Fort Mill, SC

I worked at Red Ventures full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great place to learn sales
    Fun environment
    Advancement opportunity

Cons

Constantly changing commissions
    Micromanagement

Continue to have fun with employees

Great place to work.... if you're not in IT

I worked at Red Ventures

Pros

Red Ventures is a fast growing, challenging environment that will give you the opportunity to learn a lot.

Cons

Red Ventures is not the place to be for anyone working in the IT industry. The leaders of IT are "Yes" men that will not stand up for their employees.

Restructure the IT department. Give someone else a chance to lead.

Not a bad company. Need to commit fully to the sales process to have a chance to succed. Wil train you and coach you.

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Rock Hill, SC
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Rock Hill, SC

I worked at Red Ventures

Pros

Will coach you like no other. Crazy facilities and lunch is great.

Cons

Expect you to close every customer. If you dont close its your fault and expect a coaching session

Allow your employees to have a fighting chance to succeed. Turnover is way to frequent

RV WILL CONSUME YOUR SOUL

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Fort Mill, SC
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Fort Mill, SC

I have been working at Red Ventures full-time (less than a year)

Pros

basketball court, bowling alley, cafeteria, and all are pretty good. the training is exceptional

Cons

the sales floor will suck your soul. your commission check diminishes and for calls that are unsellable. Opportunities for growth are nothing but smoking mirrors. Their only method of evaluation is through sales, and not consideration of the talent you have in other areas. It is good to start from the bottom, but if sales isn't for you, you're not going anywhere.

Have people move within the company for the skills they have, and not how much they can sell.

Great company to work for, but long term viability is lacking due to nature of job.

Former Employee - Senior Performance Manager in Fort Mill, SC
    Former Employee - Senior Performance Manager in Fort Mill, SC

I worked at Red Ventures

Pros

Great environment. Good management on the sales level and involvement from middle management. Lots of perks (free coffee, subsidized lunches. prizes, trips, etc.) to boost morale.

Cons

Very stressful job with no time to breath between sales calls and hours usually involve evening and weekends for a while till you become a veteran (at least 6 months). Time is micromanaged down to the second for agents and then lunches/breaks are shortened to meet business needs. Its a call center labelled as a "Sales Center" to throw off the new hires. Goals are usually over inflated to reduce earning potential for most agents/management. Overtime is almost always mandatory and really tends to grind agents down and causes morale among agents to drop quickly.