Red Ventures

Updated October 9, 2014
3.1

Red Ventures CEO Ric Elias
Ric Elias

Pros
  • Food in the cafe is good, free yoga, basketball court, company trip (in 17 reviews)

• Casual work environment, lots of contests, good bonus', great commission potential (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Its hard to get to bed at 2am most nights and still have a work/life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Bathroom breaks are counted against your 30 minute break time per shift (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Company, but constantly evolving and sometimes difficult to keep up with all the changes and expectations.

Former Employee - Senior Sales Agent in Wilmington, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Agent in Wilmington, NC

I worked at Red Ventures full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Schedule is consistent but with opportunity for flexibility, comfortable work environment with a relaxed dress code, and the money is good if you can perform.

Cons

The company is constantly evolving and changing, and with it are your goals and expectations. over the year I was there sales goals increased every month and the way we were evaluated changed every three months. Its a sales oriented company, so there is that constant feeling of doom if you cant hit your numbers. if you start in sales, there is little other direction to go besides staying in sales.

More Like a Summer gig, not Career

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Fort Mill, SC
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Fort Mill, SC

I have been working at Red Ventures full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The Company makes available to its employees; Cheap healthy food from Illios and Nice Buildings equipped with a Basketball Court and a Bowling alley.

Cons

Being a sales agent at Red Ventures is more of a Summer gig till you find a "Real Job". The company has very high turnover and management doesn't seem to care. I believe the goal is to high any and everyone with the promise that they will make a lot of money and see who sticks around. The company is constantly loosing employees and partners. Management on the sales floor is a joke, you are considered a vet if you stuck around for a year. This is a firm that spends 60 mil on a new building then pays its sales folks $10/hr and if you jump through all the hoops you get another $5 to $15 a sale. I think Rick Ellias could do better, he seems like a nice guy but too obsessed in trying to be like Google, Google actually pays their employees and treat them like people.

Try to look at your pay rate and experience of sales managers.

learn sales skills, but extremely stressful

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Red Ventures full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Casual Work environment, there are contests and games to win money almost every day, monthly incentives for prizes. There is potential to make good money but you have to be better than the day before every single day. Some people make a few thousand each month very easily. Sales training is really amazing, I never fully realized my sales selling skills until this job.

Cons

STRESS. It is SO STRESSFUL. In one month I was on three different businesses with four different schedules and four different managers. You have a timer on everything you do... your breaks, lunch, availability, call talk time, follow up, bathroom, etc. Breaks can get denied if there are more than a few calls on hold. It is one of those jobs that your good days are a pat on the back and your bad days the end of the world. There is a constant fear that ONE call will get you fired or make your pay a few hundred dollars less. ANOTHER HUGE ONE IS THE SCHEDULE: Your schedule can change at the drop of a hat. Expect long nights for the first few months you are hired. Most new people have a 2-11 or 3-12 schedule which is really exhausting after a few months. Its hard to get to bed at 2am most nights and still have a work/life balance. They say after 90 days you can apply for a new schedule but it doesn't work out to a day job, in some ways it turns worse.

More flexible with adjusting schedules!

Overall great place to work

Current Employee - Web Applications Developer in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Web Applications Developer in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Red Ventures full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexibility with time off. Fast-paced. New challenges. High standards. I've grown a lot here and RV has been proactive in helping me grow as a developer and as a business team member. I'm surrounded by a lot of very smart people here and I love that there's always someone here who knows more than I do and that I can learn from.

Cons

You can't be a pushover as a developer here, it's expected that you'll communicate your own capacity and ideas to your team if something needs to be done. You also have to self-manage and prioritize your own workload effectively. If you can't do these things you may find it stressful here.

Awful Sweatshop in MIramar - DirectStar TV

Former Employee - Customer Service/Sales in Miramar, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service/Sales in Miramar, FL

I worked at Red Ventures full-time (less than an year)

Pros

None - seriously, not one thing is positive in this company. Not even the free food that they give you and you cannot get to it because a teenager just out of High School deems you need to get to the next call. Or the one who thinks you can take another call even though you cannot breathe without the fear of wetting your pants.

Cons

-Inhumane treatment of the employees except for the ones favored by managers and supervisors;
    -Kids barely out of school who take a power pill before getting to work are actually your supervisors in many cases;
    -You get bad calls and hang ups/calls disconnected that count against your quotas, meaning that one call at the end of the day may mean a difference of a thousand dollars in your commission for the month. Seriously, I got sick and had to stay home for a few days and I made more money that month - go figure.
    - High turnover - I wonder why?
    -You need to follow a script verbatim. Even if the client had already said they did not want an alarm system (offered at the end of the calls) or any other product available, you STILL HAD TO USE THE DARN SCRIPT and sound like an imbecile, hearing them say "But I told you that I didn't want it. Why are you insisting?" You could not say "I have to read this regardless", and you would get points (aka money) deducted every time from quality assurance. Some quality...
    -Overtime - don't you DARE say you can't. You'll stay, or else (insert threat of firing here). By the way, lunch is supposed to be 30 minutes, but even in FL the NC's laws took precedence (or so they said). If they need you on the phone, you can only take 15 minutes. And it is counted by the seconds, I kid you not. Hence, the food they provided would be gone or cold by the time you got to it. Doritos and soda were the option sometimes.
    - All I can say is that you have to be there to know - so if you are considering a job there and reading this, run don't walk. It is slavery.

Grow up (literally), act decently, don't play favorites and help your employees instead of threatening them every five minutes with firing them for

There's a reason there is a trial period

I worked at Red Ventures full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There is a lot of opportunity to make money and hone skills as a sales agent

Cons

Middle management contradicts one another at every single turn.

Get it together, work together, empower your people or you'll lose all of them.

sales

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Red Ventures full-time (more than an year)

Pros

nice ppl and good coaching, make a decent quick bucks
    fun and entertaining

Cons

micromanaged to the max, no work life balance, intense pressure
    non stop work

Alright

I worked at Red Ventures full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The overall atmosphere of the company is awesome. The facilities and everything are cool. There's lots of contests.

Cons

If you don't do every little thing exactly as they say, you're out the door.

Fun energetic and good money

Former Employee - Sales Agent in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Agent in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Red Ventures full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Money is good...great incentives...wear what you want....always training on new products company outings

Cons

Its a what have you done for me today job who cares about yesterday or last month

let us do our job

Do you like being micromanaged? Then this is the place for you! Otherwise, beware!

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Wilmington, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Wilmington, NC

I have been working at Red Ventures full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They have a great in house course that prepares you for getting the licenses needed to do the job. As well they don't force you in on the job but rather "nested" into your team.

Cons

Where to begin...

I want to first say, legitimately I tried very hard to make this job work. I am a professional that ended up with anxiety from dawn till dusk and dusk till dawn. I am not someone who quits but adapts. This job is not for the creative, the innovative or someone with self respect. This job, my friend is for people who can sell and have no problems with being micromanaged every step of the way.

So I'll start there...
    - Micromanaged - want to take a break? go to the bathroom? Maybe lunch? Ha! well you have to add a request to the "Workforce" team that then decides if it is okay for you to go. They will either allow you, or deny based on call volume, time of day and other factors. You are given an hour lunch break, two fifteen min breaks and two, no more than five minute breaks. Sorry ladies, your body better form to this schedule otherwise your screwed. I actually watched the Workforce deny a girl from going to the bathroom three times when she had "time of the month" (for lack of a better phrase) problems. Finally she just got up went and was scolded like a child for leaving. Needless to say, she was gone the next day on her own accord.
    - Tethered - I've never wanted to be attached to any one place, although I now know what my dog feels like when I strap him to a tree. You have to wear headsets. Not so bad, well the reason you wear these all day is when you are not on a call you're on Standby, and you're listening for this faint beeping sound that means you have an incoming call. Your screen changes and you have to read the script fast enough and natural enough so no one hangs up on you. I have never felt so much anxiety in my life ever; not an exaggeration. What if I missed a beep, would I get dinged on my record for missing one? Would the Workforce team (big brother) walk over to me and scold me for not being prepared? Would the world collapse? The answer to all of these questions is YES!
    - Workflow - So you're okay with being a clock watcher when your on break. And you've said yea, I'd like to know what it feels like to be tied to a computer all day. Great! Then you're probably cool with having your calls timed, your summary notes timed (after you end a call you have a certain amount of time to wrap up any notes you may have) and then going back on "ready" to take another call. And if you take to long between calls, in your summary notes, you can bet on someone from Workforce yelling across the room or coming up to you and asking you what in the world are you doing!? Not to mention these calls can take anywhere from 20 to 30 mins. And know when a customer asks, "How long will this take?" you say just a few more minutes.
    - Sales - If you have never made sales before your "PM"(manager) will give you feedback on how to improve. Well, I am here to say, simply following the feedback does not mean you are going to be successful. It means you have followed the wisdom of the 20 something year old's advice and if you can't get it, you can't get it. I understand this is sales but when you're willing to let go of quality of quantity then you have made an egregious business mistake. And that is you have stopped caring.
    - Games - Because they're a cool place to work, some sales reps have Nerf guns. Well, almost everyone has these toys. At first you think, maybe this is cool. But in practice there's a reason these toys are for kids. It's very distracting! Being shot at, maybe a stray bullet comes your way. Maybe the foam baseball has smacked you in the head. But they're a cool "hip" place to work for! Oh the places you'll go...

Change everything. And for the love of God, quit making your lower to mid level managers add reviews on sites like these. Do you really think people that review your company speak/write like this, Pros: ..."If you like working with outgoing passionate people, Red Ventures is the place for you!" Cons: "Red Ventures expects you to challenge assumptions, adapt to change and give 110% all the time."

You have to be kidding, right? I heard these same phrases in the beginning rounds of interviewing. I even believe this is printed in your marketing material in your welcome packets.

Lastly, quit advertising in all your job listings that you can "win a flat-screen TV". In speaking with other sales reps that had been with the company for a few years I was told, no one has ever own anything like this. That after being with the company, moving up through the ranks and other hoops to jump that it's possible to win something like this at a convention. All this is to say this is very misleading and only speaks to your poor business practices. That is giving false impressions of what to expect.

Maybe this is part of your business model, "False impressions of what to expect. We gotcha!"