Red Ventures

Updated December 19, 2014
3.3

Red Ventures CEO Ric Elias
Ric Elias

Pros
  • Food in the cafe is good, free yoga, basketball court, company trip (in 18 reviews)

• Great benefits: casual dress, flat structure and fast-paced work environment (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Its hard to get to bed at 2am most nights and still have a work/life balance (in 10 reviews)

• It's high pressure at times it's a fight to the finish with certain calls u got to be prepared and have tough skin (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Waste of time!

Former Employee - Insurance Sales in Fort Mill, SC
    Former Employee - Insurance Sales in Fort Mill, SC

I worked at Red Ventures full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This job was very fun when I started but after about 2 months I saw it for what it was a waste of time.

Cons

Red ventures was a big waste of time I've been there since March 2013 in recently left everybody on the sales floor is miserable. Everybody is looking for a new job if you looking to work at Red ventures you can make some quick money but that's about it. Nobody on the sales floor has been there longer than 2 years and that's for a reason. There is no such thing as uncapped commission at redventures they tell you that but its not true they have a way to make sure that you can make a little money but not too much money and once you get there you'll find out. There is a reason that red ventures is hiring all the time it's a bad sign if you have any common sense that will let you know that this is not the company that you can build a career with its a company that if you need some quick money you can work for them for a couple months maybe a year and that's it don't waste your time. This is coming from a top performer not anybody who got fired for attendance or not performing if you are a serious career minded person don't waste your time.

Grow up high school is over with.

If you're looking for something innovative, fast-paced, and fun......come to RV and enjoy the ride!

Current Employee - Corporate in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Corporate in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Red Ventures full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My favorite part of working at Red Ventures is the people. They put a lot of effort into hiring very motivated, results-oriented, and passionate people so you get to work along side people like this daily. Not to mention, I also laugh A LOT on a daily basis. I've met some of my closest friends at work and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Red Ventures business model is a very unique and innovative and I've gotten the opportunity to work on several projects that are very new in the online marketing space. The growth rate is crazy and it's amazing to see how the company has changed it's business model to keep up with all the growth.

The key to Red Ventures though is the culture. I love all the fun perks, but that's not what I mean by culture. I mean that fact that we have a "flat structure" so you don't have to move up a very tall ladder to get to a leadership role and titles don't really matter that much. We also move fast! This is refreshing in Charlotte when the other options are likely slow moving huge corporations. We are also not afraid of change and actually welcome it! It's easy to get things done meaning you don't have to wait 6 months to get approval of things before we change them up.

Cons

Sometimes the ever changing environment can seem a bit overwhelming

Extremely stressful once you get in.

Former Employee - Security Sales in Indian Land, SC
    Former Employee - Security Sales in Indian Land, SC

I worked at Red Ventures full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Relaxed dress. Great sales training. A lot of young, fun people working there. There is a lot of money to be made.

Cons

The pressure is incredibly intense. On my floor of maybe 300 people, there wasn't 1 person that had been there a year which should tell you a lot about the turn around ratio. People quit constantly because although the face of the company is painted fun, once you begin working, the pressure is beyond anything I've experienced before. Your job is CONSTANTLY at risk! Every day. No matter how great of a job you do, it begins again every day and you have to perform or you're out! They would literally ask people to step into a "coaching meeting" while another manager would then go and pack up their desk into a box and have security meet them downstairs and escort them off the property. This was always looming over our heads if you didn't perform, on any given day, your desk could be packed up and you'd be escorted out. A terrible way to force people to work. I made a lot of money, but I would never do it again in ten million years.

Have some grace. Don't hang employment over an employees head if they have performed well prior. Have some grace. Coaching is not grace. Coaching is bullying as it was used when I was there. "Change this or your desk will be packed up while we've asked you to come into a room for a meeting." Unreal.

Excellent opportunity to learn, opportunity to grow only for some

Current Employee - Analyst in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Analyst in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Red Ventures full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work closely with your boss. Lots of opportunities to continuously learn from extremely smart peers. Everyone is very friendly and wants to help you succeed. Basketball league, free yoga classes, on-site gym, subsidized bistro are great perks.

Cons

The access to senior leadership varies based on what team you are on. There are significantly fewer opportunities for growth than there are new hires. A decent amount of turnover from people who work extremely hard but are not promoted. Company trip is beautiful, but the focus on drinking seems a little strange in a work environment.

Be more up-front in recruiting. Focus less on the great perks, work/life balance and company trip and more on the hard work. In the end, no one will feel upset that those things are only a small portion of their experience and RV will attract more people who are excited to come in and put in the long hours.

Red Ventures was a good Bridge Job after the hard hitting recession that sidetracked my career.

Former Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Indian Land, SC
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Indian Land, SC

I worked at Red Ventures full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Recognized my talents in Sales from my background and personallity

Cons

No upward mobility for more mature individuals who has been in Sales and Marketing for over 20 years. Phone sales does not always dictate a persons true talents.

After 10 months of employment in a High call volume/high pressure job I was passed over for other opportunities that I was well OVERQUALIFIED for.

Amazingly fun times with coworkers and upper management.

Current Employee - Senior Sales Agent in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Agent in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Red Ventures full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I love working here because the schedule is very flexible and there is always room for improvement. If you want to succeed in any sales position this is definitely the one for you. You can make an unlimited amount of commission and always apply for leadership even in the first 3 months of your employment if you qualify.

Cons

When you are having bad days and your sales are not "up to par" that can really help in your metrics. Just like any other job there are numbers you have to reach and goals you have to succeed. If you are not a good sales person or do not have it in you to be aggressive this is not the job for you.

Great Place to Work!

Current Employee - Analyst in Fort Mill, SC
    Current Employee - Analyst in Fort Mill, SC

I have been working at Red Ventures full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Great culture!
    - Great team of people to work with
    - Fast, paced environment

Cons

- High expectations of employees

So far, so good

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Red Ventures full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Casual work environment, lots of contests, good bonus', great commission potential. Everyone who works there is really great. Lots of good food :)

Cons

SCARED DAILY THAT ONE CALL WILL GET ME FIRED. You are extremely replaceable and could easily get fired. There are a lot of graphs and numbers to meet on those graphs. You could easily become obsessed with your numbers on a call-by-call basis.

No more PIP!

First time introduction to Jack Welch style management

Former Employee - Software Developer in Fort Mill, SC
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Fort Mill, SC

I worked at Red Ventures full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Full of competent people.
    Senior Management is very open to sharing business strategy with employees at all level to keep everyone moving in the right direction.
    The software development team is pretty close.

Cons

It seems the goal of the organization to have as high of a turnover rate as possible.
    The work/life balance is the worst I've seen anywhere; developers are working long hours, many of them on the weekend, and feeling extremely insecure about getting enough work done to keep their jobs.

You might find that high turnover doesn't necessarily produce the best results, especially with software.

Fast paced and number oriented.

Former Employee - Top Performing Sales Agent in Fort Mill, SC
    Former Employee - Top Performing Sales Agent in Fort Mill, SC

I worked at Red Ventures full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great environment as far ad the people and casual dress code. Company has a lot of on campus activities for employees. Impressive campus.

Cons

Can be a serious grind. Very "salesy" environment. Attendance policy has some flaws. "Uncapped Commissions" is loosely applied on some businesses.