RedBrick Health Reviews

Dan Ryan

Excellent People, excellent environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at RedBrick Health as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The people are wonderful, the pay is excellent, and it is very fast paced.

Cons

However, everyone has to be a self starter, and create their own projects essentially, which means that figuring out what is going on is very confusing.

Great people, not-so-great management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at RedBrick Health full-time

Pros

The office culture is casual. They have flexible working arrangements and decent time off policies. The compensation to start is great, but you can't count on raises.

Cons

This is a medium size company with a start-up mentality. They need to decide if they want to be a real company or just keep playing at it. Being a SaaS company, they think the developers walk on water, but they don't communicate well with the operations staff and make it difficult to implement new clients.

Stop hiring your buddies and hire people who can really do the job.

There have been some odd happenings since my start.

I have been working at RedBrick Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've met a few good people. I like the type of work that I am doing at the moment. The location is right in the middle of Minneapolis, so there are a lot of good food options and bars and what not.

Cons

One of the weirdest things to happen since starting here was during a mandatory company meeting. The meetings are held in a conference room that is rented from the giant hotel that is connected to the same skyway as us. As I was walking into the conference room I was shined in the eyes with a laser pointer. The guy holding it was one of the presenters. I wasn't the only one shined either. Others were shined in the eyes. Women were shined on the chest, and sometimes on the butt.... but only the women who would be considered attractive in today's society.

The meeting began and seemed to be going fine. Half way through the meeting there was a change in presenters and the presenter needed to change to a different PowerPoint. During that transition a full screen shot of current stock option holdings per employee was shown on the screen to everyone. It wasn't for just a split second either, you could see names matched with current holdings. You could tell this made a lot of long time employees uneasy for the rest of the meeting.

I would try to pay more attention to what you are showing on screen to the entire company. You may also want to choose some more mature presenters.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil.

Former Employee - R&D Employee  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - R&D Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at RedBrick Health full-time for less than a year

Pros

Salary and benefits are competitive. Working remotely is allowed. Worker-bees are experienced, smart, thoughtful people who share the goal of creating and enhancing programs that support the company's mission to help people be healthy. Many work tirelessly to meet deadlines they had little to no input into creating.

Cons

R&D is run as a dictatorship - micromanaged to the point that some employees cannot do their jobs, isolated, strictly told not to contribute to what's commonly referred to as "noise", i.e. do not communicate with other departments, do not share knowledge of delays, known bugs, issues, etc. Staff is silenced during daily standups. Topics they were attempting to discuss are rarely returned to. Lack of process and communication results in a chaotic environment. Fire drills are the norm.

Realize that transparency is needed and will help, not hinder, development. Recognize that employees have valuable suggestions and information to share. Encourage them to contribute, rather than silencing them. Consider what they have to say. HR should interview the entire R&D staff via anonymous survey. Acknowledge the R&D dictatorship is creating a chaotic, stifled, stressful work environment rather than a cohesive, collaborative, environment in which people can design, create and support innovative and marketable solutions and products.

Great place to work, even better place to grow

Current Employee - Senior Developer - UI Lead  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Developer - UI Lead in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at RedBrick Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

The rapid product development that goes on here is only possible because management has full confidence in the ability of the development team. Its an agile work environment without getting caught up in the minutia of the agile process. Development teams are nimble and include members of QA and tech-ops from the very beginning; the teams are very tightly integrated and stakeholders well represented. The bottom line is that we build products, and we iterate on them very rapidly.

Management serves to provide needed tools and facilitate the process of building things.

* High trust culture
    * Rapid development
    * Honest communication
    * Low BS
    * Very little legacy baggage
    * Huge opportunities in the industry

Cons

Would not be a good fit for anyone who doesn't like change or being trusted to use their own judgement to help get products built.

Forward looking SaaS company in a backwards market

Current Employee - Chief Technology Officer  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Chief Technology Officer in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at RedBrick Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

RedBrick has some of the best architects and developers I've worked with from New York to San Francisco. The technology being developed is cutting edge and interesting, and is applicable to multiple markets, not just the market this company is in today, which causes some confusion to people that think that a simple solution would get the software done faster. The issues when you apply software to multiple markets and extremely large consumer bases are vaster than what RBH has to deal with today, but if you're up for a technical challenge writing software that needs to deal with huge workloads and large consumer bases, this is a great place to gain and hone your skills.

Cons

Intense environment. Lots of work and little resources and time compared to the goals. Everyone's on the same team though - especially in the R&D department, so that helps create and keep momentum.

RBH is transitioning to a SaaS, high performance, high capacity model. Make sure everyone aboard knows how tough this is and is willing to stay in the boat AND row.

Helping people be healthy. Maybe in body, but clearly not in mind.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at RedBrick Health full-time for less than a year

Pros

During my time at RedBrick Health, I met people that I am extremely close with. We spent many hours working on projects and product to ensure that our clients had a positive experience. Unfortuantely...

Cons

For the other 130 employees, there is such a low level of accountability and responsibility for the work that we had. There are the effective departments within the organization and then completely ineffective departments that often resulted in bottlenecks in our work flow. Unfortuantely, the least effective side of the organization is one of the most important client facing areas. Working in the support functions of the company has a lot of potential; however...

Management seems to values the support functions as what it is: the nuts and bolts of the entire product. Data, Technical Infrastructure, Engineering and Architecture are all hugely important roles, yet they are treated so poorly that turn around has risen to a remarkable level. In the 6 months that I was with the organization, 1 major layoff occured and almost double that layoff left the organization due to the lack of respect for their employees. The human resources management is incredibly weak, and does not value the work the staff performs, but rather protects middle and upper management in conflict situations.

Great people, good benefits, ceiling on advancement, lack of communication

I have been working at RedBrick Health

Pros

RedBrick has some extremely talented and personable people that always want to help.
    Working downtown is easy to commute to (even by bus) and has everything you need within easy walking distance.
    Benefits are quite competitive with the general job market.

Cons

Things can often times feel like they are moving very slowly, despite desire for swift and innovative new advancements to the product offering.
    Despite getting a ton of experience and lots of hard work, there's historically been little room for career advancement.
    Salaries probably a bit below average.

Engage more with employees, with more regular feedback encouraged. Make it clear that current employees' thoughts and opinions are strongly desired, and that it will be taken in earnest with no fear of risking job security. The change in leadership lately has brought about a level of distrust that has not been properly won back, and hiring friends whilst laying off other key workers was a step in the wrong direction.

Worked for RedBrick Health? Contribute to the Community!