Redbox

www.redbox.com

Redbox Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Mark Horak

Pros
  • The first place I worked at that allowed me to have a work/life balance(in 7 reviews)

• The company has good benefits, Expect the yearly bonus to go away next year(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle and Upper management unsure of how to execute and what new ideas to pursue(in 7 reviews)

• Some people that have been here for awhile are stuck in their ways and don't often give some new ideas a chance(in 4 reviews)

FSR2

Fsr2 (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

Prosgood benefits and vacation time

Conscompany is always changing policies and procedures

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Great until activist investors got in!!

Senior Level (Current Employee) Oakbrook Terrace, IL

ProsThe company used to have some great talent in the technology space around chicago land area and they still do. Great benefits and pays relatively well

ConsUntil about 2 years Redbox was operating as a standalone unit. Changes in the management, especially when the technology leaders from redbox left - they were filled in by the corporate outerwall personnel. From that point on they have transitioned over to an less creative, enterprise mode operational environment.
    Add insult to injury, activist investors got in and they started the cost-cutting initiatives.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have some great talent and please make sure they don't leave because of an increasingly less creative environment.

Good place to pursue a great career

Middle Management (Current Employee) Oakbrook Terrace, IL

ProsThere may be times you need to work more, but we value work life balance. Great benefits. smart and dedicated peers. offers new oppurtunities, internal career growth is immense.

Conswork in all kinds of elements and time constraints, Middle and Upper management unsure of how to execute and what new ideas to pursue. No idea how to deflect Netflix and streaming offerings in general. Continually starting and stopping new business as if they never tested the idea in market.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great experience as a contractor at Redbox

Senior Analyst (Former Employee) Oakbrook Terrace, IL

ProsI encountered great people, a friendly environment, cutting edge technologies, and plenty of opportunity to learn and contribute.

ConsWith recent cost cutting efforts by redbox's parent Outerwall, employee benefits, salaries, bonuses, and perks are being squeezed.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop operating teams in silos. Not enough sharing of ideas and processes between the different lines of businesses. Teams need to be more cross-functional. Executive management also needs to educate itself more on agile and lean concepts.

A terrific idea that upper management tries to continue to squeeze.

Manager, Technology (Current Employee) Oakbrook Terrace, IL

ProsA fantastic crew of people, smart and dedicated to the goal. The first place I worked at that allowed me to have a work/life balance.

ConsMiddle and Upper management unsure of how to execute and what new ideas to pursue. No idea how to deflect Netflix and streaming offerings in general. Continually starting and stopping new business as if they never tested the idea in market.

New experiences everyday.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible, New Experiences everyday, Cheap DVD Rentals, A car if you are an FSR2 or higher.

ConsPay, Corporate keeps changing SOPs, Metrics, Work Life Balance

Advice to Senior ManagementTake advice from field operations personnel about daily operations pros/cons.

Was a great company....

Regional Manager (Current Employee) Costa Mesa, CA

ProsVery generous compensation. Great benefits. Great feild employees

ConsCorporate has no idea what field employees are put through. They are given more and more work but no more hours to get it done. Field managers and RM's under a great deal to do magic. If not no matter how long you have been there they are willing to kick you to the curb! Very sad.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your field employees like you value them. Let the Regional Managers manage their own style. Not everyone manages by intimidation.

FSR1

Prosvacation, benefits and 401k plan

Conswork in all kinds of elements and time constraints

Call Center

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe training was fairly good.

ConsHow the call center is operated. Had to raise a flag for help and go to the washroom.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of having to raise a flag for help! Have enough people on the floor to efficiently answer questions.

Former FS1 "Horrible company and it will not be around longer then 3 more years"

Field Service Representative I (Former Employee) Fishkill, NY

ProsThe Pros was being on you own.

ConsI have worked for the company for 5 years and let go which are in the guidelines of wrongful termination due to discrimination.

The company truly and never will care of anyone on the Field Support level no matter what corporate pitches to employees. This is one of the worst Micro Management companies i have ever seen and the management in general especially Regional Supervisor and Regional Manager do not care about anything except metrics and cutting hours making you work more for less.

Your always in fear of getting a harassing email from your Supervisor on how bad a job you doing and how you went 12 mins and 2 miles over what your allowed to drive despite having a log detailing reasons for everything.

No personal Life.

Have to store movies in home and they do not pay you for storage of their own property.

Mileage reimbursement barely doesn't cover amount for gas or wear and tear on your car.

Your guaranteed to buy a new car every year do to driving for this company.

Managers are always out to cover themselves they will always blame everything on you.

NY region is horrifically run by racist and degrading managers especially in the Hudson Valley region.

You will never advance in this company no matter how will you do.

Worse company to work for PERIOD.

Advice to Senior ManagementReplace all managers that know how to manage. Meaning fire yourself.

Worked for Redbox? Contribute to the Community!