Redbox Reviews

Updated April 12, 2015
128 reviews filtered by
2.8
Mark Horak

Pros
  • The company has good benefits, Expect the yearly bonus to go away next year (in 15 reviews)

• The first place I worked at that allowed me to have a work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management fails to follow through accessing machine failures and maintenance (in 9 reviews)

• This can cause serious wear and tear (in 3 reviews)

FSR

Former Employee - FSR1
    Former Employee - FSR1

I worked at Redbox

Pros

I could watch all the new release movies a week before they were in the stores.

Cons

The planed routes and time allotted per machine was not realistic. My operatiarations manager was always dropping the ball leaving me in a lurch to pick up the slack. I was a fun at first but then Corprate started taking over.

Advice to Management

I proposed that Redbox should of started producing some of its own movie content but Corporate said spending money was out of the question. Spend some money or what Redbox did to BlockBuster is going to happen all over again.

Very shady management who make many excuses for not doing their job

Former Employee - Field Service Representative I
    Former Employee - Field Service Representative I

I worked at Redbox

Pros

Good pay and benefits., if you have no other job options.

Cons

In my interview I was either not told that I would be expected to be on-call. They expect you to be on-call to help out other team members, at all times every day of the year. This means that you could be called in the middle of the night or on your days off to go merchandise another team members kiosks or to help out the technicians by trying to get a kiosk up and running again.

Advice to Management

Let people know that you expect them to be on-call all the time. Also, take the time to train your employees thoroughly and not make excuses as to why you do not have the time to train the employee in all areas of the job that they need to know.

Redbox Response

Apr 1, 2015HumanResources

Redbox does not require Field Service Representatives to work on call hours, though there may be times where additional coverage is required (i.e. vacation coverage, etc…). These requests are ... More

Get Out Now. (Field Ops and others)

Current Employee - Regional Supervisor
    Current Employee - Regional Supervisor

I have been working at Redbox full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are ok for this size company. Dress is casual almost too much, some of the clothing choices for management has a lot to be desired. Vacation is standard or above. Field Reps/the people in the trenches and some @ OBT. A lot of props need to go out to individuals and departments that are trying their best to bring a thriving culture to a dying technology.

Cons

Where dose one start?
    A lot has already been said of the decline. However, all “corporations” grow/cultivate-farm/harvest and fallow then repeat. This is cyclical of all business models and redbox is no different.

With proper leadership and direction these cycles can continue for lifetimes; without it death. In this case a slow and painful one.

The real problems are threefold. First, Coinstar/Outerwall is a poorly run company who’s stock is nowhere without redbox. Just take a look at the LOB (line of business disasters). Secondly, is redbox’s inability to acquire and maintain proper leadership? Thirdly is the most traumatic, middle to upper management. *There are countless VP’s, Directors, and Regionals that really need to be trimmed down and replaced. Not that they are not kind, nice, or even funny people who can do a job, but the model that made redbox is long gone and attrition along with fresh perspectives are needed to guide this listing barge into its sunset; so maybe people can feel better about what they are doing and why. Instead of NOT talking about the 1000 pound elephant in the room.

Preservation mode is rampant. Backstabbing is at an all time high. And contingency plans are in place. If redbox is not sold or restructured it will not be here in six months let along six years. Yet, cutbacks and bean counting are taking place in the field not at Corporate, smells bad to the naked nose. One round has trounced a large percentage of lower management in the release of ROS’ and few RM’s in 2014. Canada has just shut down. Now think, “What is to come?”

Just as most things that take the path of least resistance the low hanging fruit is all but plucked. Be forewarned my dear reader, and take heed. Do not climb aboard this barge of hot garbage on fire listing and floating away from the pier of success. For those of us still here it’s not that bad or is it? As the tale goes of the hound dog hollering on the porch: “Why kind Sir does your dog whine with such vigor while just laying on the porch?” “Well that’s easy, he is laying on a sharp nail.” “My Goodness! Why doesn’t he just move?” “Well, I recon, it don’t hurt that bad.”

Advice to Management

The heck with management (*see above under cons). A final note to the reader of this quaint diatribe. If looking for a resume padder or a place to learn a couple of things in the short term go for it. For us here learn what you can before your move on or are force to.

Miserable experience.

I have been working at Redbox

Pros

Free drinks and a lot of snacks.

Cons

No empowerment given to any level. Decisions are made and the team is there to execute.

Advice to Management

Many areas for them to work on.

Great place gone sour!

Former Employee - Regional Ops Supervisor
    Former Employee - Regional Ops Supervisor

I worked at Redbox full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

in the beginning redbox was all about it's employees AND making money!

Cons

When the Co. went public the employees became "consumables"... micromanagement by people whom hadn't a clue what really happened where the rubber hit the road... policies began to change daily and we managing the field were expected to take ownership of things that made no sense and killed morale and productivity...

Advice to Management

It hard to give advise to folks whom aren't interested in listening..

7. Great, now bad

I have been working at Redbox

Pros

When I started: Excellent projects, smart people, great management who provided tools and gave support when needed

Cons

Now: no good projects and the smart people and great managers have left so no one to learn from

Advice to Management

Either invest more or make cuts. Stop thinking.

8. Political Corporate

Former Employee - Director in Oakbrook Terrace, IL
    Former Employee - Director in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I worked at Redbox full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay, personal time off and benefits
    The people on your team are usually very good
    Most departments get along and cooperate to get the job done

Cons

There is no 5 year plan. Outerwall will bleed Redbox dry of cash until the disc and this company are no longer profitable.
    Sr. Management is out to cover themselves politically and cash in their bonuses and stock grants.
    Doesn't matter how well you do your job. You meet objectives yet still run out politically.

Advice to Management

Look in the mirror and be honest with people. There will continue to be high turnover as they churn people through to try and save an aging soon to be obsolete technology. And try and get some better movies. How many VP and Directors do you need to purchase and market these titles.

Was a great place to work...

I have been working at Redbox full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very casual dress code, PTO policy, and benefits are good. Most co-workers are friendly and willing to help each other out.

Cons

Extremely low morale due to multiple rounds of recent lay offs/re-orgs and low bonus payouts. Increasing amount of people leaving the company with upper management not doing anything to address the issue. No solid direction from upper management who are also not in touch with lower levels of employees.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to figure out a direction for the company, boost morale, and find a way to reduce the rate of very talented people leaving the company every week.

Like being at high school

Current Contractor - Senior Financial Analyst in Oak Brook, IL
    Current Contractor - Senior Financial Analyst in Oak Brook, IL

I have been working at Redbox as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I got a pay check

Cons

I have never, ever worked at a place where people completely ignore you like you are invisible. The people are completely immature and very unprofessional.

Advice to Management

Break up the high school mentality and make your people act more professional or fire them and get more mature people.

The Worst Company I ever worked for!!

I worked at Redbox full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Getting to watch the movies for free.

Cons

Everything about the way this company is managed is awful!!

Advice to Management

The way you treat your employees is bad business.