Redcats

Updated August 6, 2014
2.6

Redcats Chairman & CEO Jean-Michel NOIR
Jean-Michel NOIR

Pros
  • I made a lot of friends, I was able to maintain a good work/life balance and the office culture was fun, high paced and exciting (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Almost everyone is working long hours and everyone is constantly looking over their should wondering if they are next (in 3 reviews)

• The French and the fact that management basically hires their friends (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

20 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to work.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Redcats full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, at least when I was there, vacation, sick and personal days, 401K and a competitive salary. I enjoyed the work atmosphere and the professional yet nice people. They leave you alone to get your job done, not micromanaged like most companies.

Cons

Lack of communication between departments.

Hire new people that have fine tuned their communication skills. Maybe seminars on team building may help.

RedCats is a GREAT place to work... as long as you work for the right department

Former Employee - Social Media and Assistant Product Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Social Media and Assistant Product Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Redcats full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked for RedCats for almost 5 years, in a variety of departments, and I loved all of them but the very last one I worked for. I made a lot of friends, I was able to maintain a good work/life balance and the office culture was fun, high paced and exciting!

Cons

The last department I worked for was BrylaneHome... it had a bad reputation and unfortunately when I started working in that department I very quickly learned why. The employees were almost hostile towards each other and coming to work every day was miserable. It was a stark contrast to the 2 other brands I had worked in before (KingSize and BCO) where everyone worked together as a team and was even enjoyable to work with. In addition to their hostility, my boss seemed relatively incompetent and I often picked up the slack, as well as getting blamed for her mistakes - and they were in the dark ages technology compared to their other brands.

For the management team at KingSize and BCO I would tell them to keep up the good work, they were amazing to work for! For the BrylaneHome management team, I think there are immense amounts of improvement that need to happen. It was a miserable environment and a large portion of management mistakes were blamed on lower level employees. If a manager goes through 3 assistants in less than a year... it is not because the assistants are faulty...

Okay as a stepping stone in your career but not a big job opportunity so don't overstay your welcome

Former Employee - Online Marketing & Web Merchandising in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Online Marketing & Web Merchandising in New York, NY

I worked at Redcats full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Due to everyone taking on triple their duties and sometimes crossing department lines, you can learn more than what your job entails and gain skills in many things outside of what you already know.

Sample sales!

30% discount off merchandise

Location of office (in the garment district)

Flexible time (you can choose when you come in - doesn't have to be 9-5 - and work your 8 hours and leave, if you don't have a ton of work sitting on your desk)

Great co-workers (with the exception of upper management)

Cons

Upper management is not helpful at all. They claim its a open door policy but honestly, it feels like they are just doing that to take notes to use later when deciding who to lay off. So if you have a voice or are not a YES person, this might not be the best company for you.

Limited Room for Growth, not much opportunity for promotion. It took me 6 years to get promoted and even then, I had to jump through hoops, beg and wait for my boss to go on vacation to do all of that because she didn't want me to advance and leave the dept.

Company politics plays a huge role in personal growth as well. Your work doesn't hold any value. It's all about favorites and who is well-liked. Many unqualified people have risen in the ranks while over-qualified people have remained in their entry-level positions. Because of this, turnover is high. If you're French, you're golden. You will always have a high level job here. Sometimes at the expense of others.

Every department acts like a separate department, which can make working across different channels challenging.

Office space is small. Even when I finally made it to managerial level, I was put in a tiny cube and was the only manager in a cube in my department. Again, while I did fantastic work, it was all about who you know. I ended up being laid off after being told my position was being eliminated. Only to find out that my position was renamed and added to someone else's workload. So she was left doing my job and hers. The story of Corporate America.

Technology is very outdated to the point where short-cuts and go-arounds are a thing of the norm in order to get your work done.

At this point, I think management will do what they want to do regardless of any advice I have. Just know that you have laid off some great people and loss other great people who have left to work for your competitors. Wonder why?

strong e-commerce platform though now in maintenance mode so less exciting.

Former Employee - Merchandising in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Merchandising in New York, NY

I worked at Redcats full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

leadership, work-life balance, culture, e-commerce

Cons

small margin business = low merit adjustment averages and bonus.

good

Current Employee - Online Marketing Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Online Marketing Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Redcats full-time (less than an year)

Pros

good work environment and good colleagues

Cons

should be open to outside environment

Redcats USA Assistant Producst Manger

Current Employee - Assistant Product Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Product Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Redcats full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Salary is good for entry level
    Very true 9-5

Cons

Company is outdated with it's systems and processes

Assistant Product Manager

Former Employee - Assistant Product Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Product Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Redcats full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Company still offers flexible time.

Cons

Limited workspace. Cubicles are a joke!
    Limited Room for Growth, not much opportunity for promotion.
    Management is not there for you when you need them.
    Management claims there is a revolving door only thing is that it's closed most of the time. No manners or greetings whatsoever.
    Everything is always due yesterday and there isn't sufficient time to accomplish work AND maintain web sites in a work day.
    Too many pets. Its about who you know and being french is a super PLUS! Save yourself the grief, you're better off financially and mentally working at the corner deli.

No point in advising, DMMs or brand "president" doesn't care about anyone but herself.

A Joke unless you are French

Former Employee - E Commerce Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - E Commerce Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Redcats full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The non french people are great.

Cons

The French and the fact that management basically hires their friends.

Hire outside of the French speaking world. Also get rid of the old garment contingent. They are horrible horrible managers and horrible people in general.

Good place to learn stuff, but management is poor

Current Employee - Marketing Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Marketing Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Redcats full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You really get to learn a lot in terms of job itself, because of the heavy work load.

Cons

The management style needs to be improved. Try to be fair and respectful for your employees.

Be respectful. Making eye contact when you are talking to people.

Office Space

Former Employee - Lead Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Lead Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Redcats full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Regular hours; most people don't expect you to go above and beyond. Depending on your position, there is an opportunity to travel to Europe for work.

Cons

The office environment and corporate culture are really lacking in energy and taste. On the software engineering side there is a strong dependence on off-shore resources, and many of the onsite developers give that same level of thought to problems.