Reddwerks Corporation

Reddwerks Corporation Reviews in Austin, TX

Updated May 25, 2014

Alex Ramirez

20 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

On the uptick, people are just not writing about it.

Austin, TX

ProsIt's common knowledge that people tend to write negative reviews with more ease and more eloquence. However, it is unfortunate that people who would have good things to say often times just miss the chance.

All the negative reviews here are genuine, as in they are the genuine expression of personal feelings and opinions. But those, by definition, are just as good as anybody else's.

I have been at Reddwerks for almost two years, and for long I shared the same negative feelings that animated those bad reviews. It would be unfair, though, if I did not speak up and strike a blow for the commitment the new leadership is showing to turn things around.

There have been quite a few changes in the past few months, but the most worth talking about is the team's morale. Going to work has become for many a pleasure, from what was an unavoidable doom just up to few months ago.

Whiny people tend to complain a lot, and the larger the audience they can reach, the louder they cry. If you are considering joining Reddwerks, don't let the negative reviews on here discourage you at all. It would be silly if they did not concern you at all, so just ask for an audience with any of the current employees, especially those who are in the role or in the team you would be in. Just don't be afraid to ask questions.

Pros about Reddwerks:
    1. The people: I am never the smart guy in the room, and I just love that. Endless opportunities to learn and to grow.
    2. The pay and benefits: free health insurance for you and your family, salaries higher than the average.
    3. The challenging and diverse work: no two days are the same, projects are very dynamic, involve a lot of ideas exchange.
    4. The size: a fairly modest company, you'll get to know everybody if you want, and your ideas count more than they would in a large corporation.
    6. Austin. Austin is known globally as a mecca for creative and entrepreneurial people, including musicians, artists, tech companies, and the University of Texas and its new medical research hospital to name a few. It consistently sits atop Forbes' annual list of the best cities for jobs and scores highly in other demographics rankings. It is the third-fastest-growing city in the nation, attracting large numbers of college grads, immigrants and families with young children. You will rarely see more active people, running with their dogs, biking, paddling or rowing on the lake downtown regardless of the 90+ degrees average, nor more packed bars and restaurants.

Cons1. Work schedule: can be quite hectic sometimes. You might have a slower day today and having to work up to 2:00 AM tomorrow, but overall quite balanced.
    2. Some managers and senior people's demeanor, sometimes excessively condescending. Ok, you are very smart and very accomplished, with a long career and a nice car, but your worth is only as large as the grace you show to others, especially those whose title is lower than yours.
    3. Some people's team spirit. Ok, we have been beaten up for a long while, but it seems to me that executive leadership really is on our side now, we have no reason not to give our best. Let's get aligned with that. Just to mention a trivial thing, let's answer emails even just to acknowledge we received them!

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's too early for anyone to judge whether we are heading towards the right direction, but it's great that we are finally able to focus on steering the ship rather than just struggling to keep it afloat. We are finally showing courage, turning down unprofitable and non-strategic business that falls out of our core strengths. We are putting an effort in hunting for and taking on more and more sustainable business, that's vital if we want to go further than just making payroll. Let's keep doing it.

Also, there's a lot of more empowering happening under this administration, and I commend the management for making it happen. Our team (and their brains) is the real only asset we have, as in, the only one that generates income. Keep fostering an environment where people's ideas are welcome, don't ask for feedback just because you know it's a good leadership practice. Listen to your people, and they will keep surprising you.

As a concrete advice on improving the company's culture (which has really come the long way in just a few months), just make sure nobody is made fun of by being publicly called out on something, or unceremoniously shut down with not so polite remarks during any team meeting. There are situations where that could be fun, but don't assume everybody likes to be laughed at. Most people do not just like you don't.

Former employee

Austin, TX

ProsSmart people in the company. Interesting problems.

ConsNot well defined product. Too much non-productive conflict among employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep working hard.

Support Engineer

Software Support Engineer (Former Employee)
    Austin, TX

Prosoffice culture, salary, city, great people to work with

Conshard to get promoted within the company

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your support to your engineer and let them grow within the company

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Promotions go to friends and brothers/sisters - not based on your work

Hardware Associate (Former Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsNo dress code, ability to expense stuff, points from airlines and hotels

ConsLots, no raises, poorly ran, CEO got ran off by board, lots of turnover, lots of firings, on reflection horrible HR as they gave away a 50000 car for like 5 new hires

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote based on hard work, give raises every year no matter how small, pay expense checks even when company is failing, get better at your job

Worst company I've ever been a part of

Austin, TX

ProsThe pay could be good if you don't mind the long hours, broken management, and no job security.
    A lot of smart and great people, management excluded.

ConsReally broken management. Losing money. Let people walk all the time even if someone was just hired less than a month ago. If you are going to join this company, please think twice because there is no job security. I really regret not heeding the true and negative advice given on Glassdoor and joined the company anyway and regret every moment of it. Most of the positive reviews are likely fake as they were written by HR. In reality nothing reflects the positive comments given here.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out what you want to do with the company, with the people, and with yourself before the company goes out of business

Learn now, or learn later

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsI joined the company because I was really interested in the niche product and science-based approach. I also found:

+ Good health coverage
    + Smart and fun coworkers
    + Ping pong and free snacks

ConsI was propelled to write this review simply to counter some of the existing reviews. For example:

- As mentioned, the positive reviews here are obvious fakes
    - Once hired, your job function and department might completely change on Day 1, or Day 30, or anytime without warning
    - You will not learn or grow, just simply gain experience and count the days till you find a new job
    - If you interact with customers, you're main task will be to lie and cover up more lies
    - If you do not interact with customers, you are not valued or respected in the least
    - Promises are made to get any business possible, with little consideration to the developers, project managers, or the finances involved at all

Advice to Senior ManagementTo the board: some CEOs are great at starting companies, some CEOs are great at running companies... realize what's really destroying this company and make a change before it's too late (and yes, I know a lot of his own money is tied up in this 'venture')

Amazing People Riding a Broken Bus

(Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

Pros- The problems Reddwerks works on are really interesting.
    - There are some amazingly smart people at this company.
    - This company offers a great opportunity to learn.
    - There are a lot of opportunities given to lead and handle responsibility.

Cons- Employees are given up to 5 year old computers to work on.
    - Employees on site for "go live" can work up to 16 hours a day (or all night) for several weeks. (Note that this cuts one's salary to 1/2 to 1/3 the original value for an hourly equivalent.) Not every go live is like this, but many are.
    - The amount of stress and hours involved in go live and support calls that don't go well is really unacceptable. Not all go lives and support calls go badly, but many do. These seem like they could all be avoided by better planning and scheduling, better productizing, charging appropriately for the product, and setting reasonable client expectations.
    - Travel expenses are to be charged by the employee on their own credit card (or whatever) accounts. These are often not paid back for up to 3 months and some employees have accumulated up to $20,000 in company debt from this. So far, the final result has been that after 3 months they got paid back, luckily.
    - The stability needed in this product causes newer technologies to be a poor choice, generally, so the company has to use older, sometimes outdated, tech.
    - The nature of the logistics business requires the waterfall methodology (all features specified up front by a specific time) for software projects.
    - There is no engineering management at all. The management of the developers is handled through the project managers, which is not a way to encourage developers.
    - Supporting the product often cuts into personal life.
    - Each new project is essentially a refit of a previous project. There is no product, and this is basically a services company.

Advice to Senior Management- Continue to hire amazing people, if you can get them. And listen to them.
    - Read some studies on sleep deprivation and effective work. The way employees are pushed guarantees mistakes in the product and, therefore, reduced client trust.
    - Show the employees that you value them. Time and time again, this has been proven to not be the case. Employees are not resources; they are people and deserve your respect.
    - Trust your employees and their experience. When someone says doing a good job will take 8 weeks, listen to that, and don't arbitrarily cut the schedule in half. When most of your staff tells you that GPA isn't that important in hiring, listen to them.
    - Communicate company plans openly with the employees. Don't use company wide emails as a chance to bolster your own ego.
    - Work on communication skills. Employees don't know how to relate to you and that means no one understands you or your vision. Much of this means learning to listen, too.
    - Listen to your VPs. Many of them are astoundingly smart and clever and have incredible experience in the industry.
    - Stop driving the bus towards the cliff. Stop, reevaluate, try for empathy and personal growth, and get the bus back in shape.
    - Lastly, don't try to cover up bad Glassdoor reviews with transparent fake reviews. Think about how that affects your current employees. To stop bad Glassdoor reviews, actually address the problems in company policy.

Things that are great about Reddwerks!

Austin, TX

ProsAustin is a great city. Steady paycheck. Made a couple of good friends.

ConsNothing. I don't get it why anyone with decent technical skills would ever want to work at this company?! This is not a normal company. Hours are extremely long. Because of the nature of the business you are expected to work over the weekends. There's nothing special about the work culture here. The product is decent with limited market growth. You are compensated way below average, at least I was. And on top of everything your work is never appreciated no matter how hard you work. I am glad I realized it earlier and parted my ways.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to what your people are complaining about and stop writing fake reviews. It is quite obvious which of the reviews are implanted by HR.

Bring your brain to work every day

Austin, TX

ProsA lot of really, really smart people who work hard every day and we have a lot of fun socializing after the work is done. We get to work with the customers. We meet them, speak with them, help train them, sometimes even eat with them. Most places I worked I never met a customer.

ConsOur products can't be delivered remotely so we have to go on site. This means quite a bit of travel for some of the employees. But others work pretty much at HQ all the time so it depends on the exact job you have.

Advice to Senior ManagementTell us more about what is going on across the company.

Stop the glassdoor soap opera and FIX YOUR COMPANY!!!

Austin, TX

Pros-Some very smart and clever people work here.
    -When you remove all the BS that you have to go through to work here, the actual engineering problems are actually very exciting and stimulating, which is the ONLY reason this company is even able to hire those 'smart and clever people'.
    -There's free soda.

ConsI decided to write this review to support the 'real' reviews on this site and try to counter balance all the fake 4 and 5 star reviews on here.

-A CEO that is insane for all intents and purposes. Back in the day he probably knew what he was doing, but his ego in recent years has gotten WAY out of control to the point where he doesn't listen to his VP's anymore and just spends his days yelling at people and writing fake reviews on this site. Don't pay ANY attention to the 4 or 5 star reviews of this company on this site, they're all from the CEO or his HR team, extremely shameful behavior.
    -Lack of sufficient planning on projects, deadlines are decided seemingly arbitrarily (at least in the eyes of the engineers and QA team), leading to disaster deployments, 16 hour days, and no weekends.
    -No seeming company direction other than fancy PR and marketing campaigns, though I wonder how that will pan out now since their head of marketing just quit last week,

The 'good' reviews tout of the company's 'high quality' product, which is all a huge joke. There are some good 'parts' of the product, but basically their 'product' is one giant mess of a Struts 1 project in their code repo. For each new 'customer' they LITERALLY copy and paste the same code mess and just change the logos. Then it's the engineers' jobs to tweak the code to make it fit the always vastly different requirements of the next customer. To top it off there is NO test automation, NO code reviews, and hell, they don't even write unit tests. The day to day job of an engineer there is to make a small change to this 10 year old blob of code and then pray to god that it doesn't blow up during production and get them a support call at 3am. They've let their technical debt get so out of control that it severely limits their ability to grow as a company and costs them in lost time, lost revenue, and employees (usually people will get so fed up after a deployment, that they'll usually lose at least 1 or 2 employees after each deployment).

I wish I were exaggerating when I say all these things, but the sad thing is that I'm not....

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your head out of your nether region and work on fixing your company rather than flooding this site with fake good reviews, and LISTEN to your project managers and engineers. If you really have destroyed this company beyond repair like some think you have, then do everyone a favor and shut the company down.

Worked for Reddwerks Corporation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Reddwerks Corporation reviews and ratings in Austin, TX — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Reddwerks Corporation CEO Alex Ramirez . All 20 reviews posted anonymously by Reddwerks Corporation employees.