Reddwerks Corporation Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.8
Alex Ramirez

Improving, but far from perfect

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Reddwerks Corporation full-time

Pros

Relaxed office environment and hours. Just do your 8 and go to your meetings. Free snacks. New development manager is doing a good job and problems are being addressed albeit slowly. The work is interesting. We're solving problems in warehouses and you'll be implementing new code or making major improvements to old code.

Cons

Ratio of Senior devs to Junior devs is totally out of whack. Junior devs aren't getting the guidance they need leading to a lot of new code smells. Operations Research department developing code without extensive oversight by senior developers is a massive risk that management doesn't appear to realize. Just because someone is very smart doesn't make them a good developer instantly. Travel. This doesn't mean working a 9-to-5 in someone else's office. This means working 15 hour days in a dusty warehouse conference room for 2 weeks or more and then probably going back after a week in Austin to deploy bugfixes and/or features that didn't make the original release. Your experience at the company is heavily impacted by which projects you're on. It can range from traveling rarely to traveling constantly purely depending on which customer you're assigned to.

Advice to Management

You can't just throw resources, no matter how senior and talented they are, at a project to try to make timelines.

2. Awesome place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Reddwerks Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Laid-back collaborative environment. Flexible work schedules. Very generous benefits plan. There are some very smart and totally awesome people working at this company. I'm never the smartest person in the room, always an opportunity to learn new things. New management team is fixing past issues and positioning the company for success.

Cons

On one hand there are very few documented processes, no structured training... but this also means an opportunity to make a positive impact on the company and help the company grow. Sometimes the work pace can be very demanding or hectic, but everyone chips in and helps when one department gets swamped. Senior management team is not always on the same page, but Alex the CEO is working on fixing that.

Advice to Management

Establishing department budgets, even small ones, so that managers, directors and VPs don't have to get senior executive approval for every minor expense.

3. Not worth it

Current Employee - Hardware Associate in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Hardware Associate in Austin, TX

I have been working at Reddwerks Corporation (Less than a year)

Pros

Casual dress code, decent hours when in the office, but not much else

Cons

Lack of job security, was laid off after less than 6 months, lit's of down time when in the office, crazy work hours when on site, lack of guidance from management and expectations of perfection with no training whatsoever

Advice to Management

Better guidance and more training

On the uptick, people are just not writing about it.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Reddwerks Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's common knowledge that people tend to write negative reviews with more ease and more eloquence. However, it is unfortunate that people who would have good things to say often times just miss the chance. All the negative reviews here are genuine, as in they are the genuine expression of personal feelings and opinions. But those, by definition, are just as good as anybody else's. I have been at Reddwerks for almost two years, and for long I shared the same negative feelings that animated those bad reviews. It would be unfair, though, if I did not speak up and strike a blow for the commitment the new leadership is showing to turn things around. There have been quite a few changes in the past few months, but the most worth talking about is the team's morale. Going to work has become for many a pleasure, from what was an unavoidable doom just up to few months ago. Whiny people tend to complain a lot, and the larger the audience they can reach, the louder they cry. If you are considering joining Reddwerks, don't let the negative reviews on here discourage you at all. It would be silly if they did not concern you at all, so just ask for an audience with any of the current employees, especially those who are in the role or in the team you would be in. Just don't be afraid to ask questions. Pros about Reddwerks: 1. The people: I am never the smart guy in the room, and I just love that. Endless opportunities to learn and to grow. 2. The pay and benefits: free health insurance for you and your family, salaries higher than the average. 3. The challenging and diverse work: no two days are the same, projects are very dynamic, involve a lot of ideas exchange. 4. The size: a fairly modest company, you'll get to know everybody if you want, and your ideas count more than they would in a large corporation. 6. Austin. Austin is known globally as a mecca for creative and entrepreneurial people, including musicians, artists, tech companies, and the University of Texas and its new medical research hospital to name a few. It consistently sits atop Forbes' annual list of the best cities for jobs and scores highly in other demographics rankings. It is the third-fastest-growing city in the nation, attracting large numbers of college grads, immigrants and families with young children. You will rarely see more active people, running with their dogs, biking, paddling or rowing on the lake downtown regardless of the 90+ degrees average, nor more packed bars and restaurants.

Cons

1. Work schedule: can be quite hectic sometimes. You might have a slower day today and having to work up to 2:00 AM tomorrow, but overall quite balanced. 2. Some managers and senior people's demeanor, sometimes excessively condescending. Ok, you are very smart and very accomplished, with a long career and a nice car, but your worth is only as large as the grace you show to others, especially those whose title is lower than yours. 3. Some people's team spirit. Ok, we have been beaten up for a long while, but it seems to me that executive leadership really is on our side now, we have no reason not to give our best. Let's get aligned with that. Just to mention a trivial thing, let's answer emails even just to acknowledge we received them!

Advice to Management

It's too early for anyone to judge whether we are heading towards the right direction, but it's great that we are finally able to focus on steering the ship rather than just struggling to keep it afloat. We are finally showing courage, turning down unprofitable and non-strategic business that falls out of our core strengths. We are putting an effort in hunting for and taking on more and more sustainable business, that's vital if we want to go further than just making payroll. Let's keep doing it. Also, there's a lot of more empowering happening under this administration, and I commend the management for making it happen. Our team (and their brains) is the real only asset we have, as in, the only one that generates income. Keep fostering an environment where people's ideas are welcome, don't ask for feedback just because you know it's a good leadership practice. Listen to your people, and they will keep surprising you. As a concrete advice on improving the company's culture (which has really come the long way in just a few months), just make sure nobody is made fun of by being publicly called out on something, or unceremoniously shut down with not so polite remarks during any team meeting. There are situations where that could be fun, but don't assume everybody likes to be laughed at. Most people do not just like you don't.

Former employee

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Reddwerks Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart people in the company. Interesting problems.

Cons

Not well defined product. Too much non-productive conflict among employees.

Advice to Management

Keep working hard.

Support Engineer

Former Employee - Software Support Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Software Support Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Reddwerks Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

office culture, salary, city, great people to work with

Cons

hard to get promoted within the company

Advice to Management

Give your support to your engineer and let them grow within the company

Promotions go to friends and brothers/sisters - not based on your work

Former Employee - Hardware Associate in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Hardware Associate in Austin, TX

I worked at Reddwerks Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No dress code, ability to expense stuff, points from airlines and hotels

Cons

Lots, no raises, poorly ran, CEO got ran off by board, lots of turnover, lots of firings, on reflection horrible HR as they gave away a 50000 car for like 5 new hires

Advice to Management

Promote based on hard work, give raises every year no matter how small, pay expense checks even when company is failing, get better at your job

The more you lie the fatter your paycheck gets!

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

Pros

Steady Paycheck. Made some good friends. Learned about how to survive in tough situations.

Cons

So you want to work at Reddwerks.?Great choice! But In order to survive here you must keep your ethics at home. Lying to customers is considered an art, and the better you are at it the faster you move up the food chain. What did you say.. "Why need to lie to the customers?" Good question. There's no concept of project deadlines here. Historically there has never been a single project that Reddwerks has delivered on time! It is ironical that one of the company's official mottos is "don't bs the customer". Yet we are encouraged to bs to the customer all the time when onsite to cover up our shortcomings.

Advice to Management

Hire a pastor!! Or go to business school to get proper education!

No Work Life Balance

Pros

Working with really smart people, not a lot of red tape to get your ideas through, some opportunity to get your ideas heard.

Cons

lots on-site time, which includes weekends. You will be on-site for a couple of weeks, or sometimes 3 weeks, depending on the project, and you will be working really long, and odd hours. Not very good with pay. Reviews done rarely, and hence getting your titles adjusted or compensation adjusted is not very frequent. Expenses can take time to be re-paid. Best case is 3 weeks, and worst case is 7 weeks in current model of repaying expenses. It was worse in the past, where it once took approx 4 months to get paid. Work life balance is horrible. You work a lot, and travel a lot.

Worst company I've ever been a part of

I have been working at Reddwerks Corporation full-time

Pros

The pay could be good if you don't mind the long hours, broken management, and no job security. A lot of smart and great people, management excluded.

Cons

Really broken management. Losing money. Let people walk all the time even if someone was just hired less than a month ago. If you are going to join this company, please think twice because there is no job security. I really regret not heeding the true and negative advice given on Glassdoor and joined the company anyway and regret every moment of it. Most of the positive reviews are likely fake as they were written by HR. In reality nothing reflects the positive comments given here.

Advice to Management

Figure out what you want to do with the company, with the people, and with yourself before the company goes out of business

RSS Feed </> Embed