Redfin Reviews

Updated March 17, 2015
110 reviews filtered by
3.7
Glenn Kelman

Pros
  • Work-life balance can be an issue, but it all depends on how far you want to go (in 8 reviews)

• Catered lunches and all the snacks you could want (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be an issue but really becomes a problem when you want to become a top producer (in 7 reviews)

• Management has very little real estate experience, if any, prior to working at Redfin and does not know how to motivate their staff (in 4 reviews)

In Less Than a Year, I Was Promoted into a Business Operations Position

I have been working at Redfin full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I started off as a Senior Agent and was promoted into a business operations position. Redfin is really redefining the residential real estate sales industry in the united states. The company values and culture promote open communication at all levels, great ethics and morals to achieve the common goal of creating the best home buying and selling experience for real estate consumers. The company is expanding incredibly fast with services being launched in a new market every 1-2 weeks. The company looks from within to promote into open positions and creates types of positions regularly offering career paths that you may have never thought entering before coming to this company. If you come with an intention and desire to grow and learn, perform well, and contribute ideas, they will consider you for new positions as we continue to grow. Compensation if fair and commensurate to the value you can prove once you're in. Stock options are incorporated into many positions which should hopefully be worth much more as we are moving forward with an IPO in 2-3 years. It's been an exciting opportunity to say the least.

Cons

Due to the fast expansion, those who cannot adapt to change fast may find it difficult to adjust. If you're looking for something that is repetitive and cannot add value by coming up with ideas to make things better for clients and co-workers this may not be the place for you. A great work ethic is a must too. You really have to be able to see the bigger picture and know that you're a part of a company that is at the forefront of disrupting the real estate sales industry. Because of this, one who is considering working here should be flexible with stepping out of their job duty requirements from time to time to accommodate the fast paced growth and expansion. Another con is the interview and hiring approval process. Due to the rapid growth they can be slow to move you forward. However, I believe they have greatly improved their process and are committed to making the experience much better to continue to attract and hire talented people.

Continue to have your open book policy to allow for feedback from employees at all levels. Thank you for listening to our needs and ideas on how to grow our awesome company. Keep the start up vibe going even though were at 1100 plus employees. Look at every new hire's ability and potential to contribute and move into other positions as our growth will require more talented and innovative people to sustain it.

Best place to work. Ever.

I have been working at Redfin full-time

Pros

Very dedicated and approachable management, sincere values, life/work balance, mission oriented work.

Cons

Rapid growth can be hard to keep up with at times

Spend more money to make sure agents can deliver the services that we promise clients

Exciting challenging work and problems to solve but employees salaries need to be higher!

Current Employee - HQ Team in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - HQ Team in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Redfin full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It's a fun environment, working with he real estate teams is great. The industry has the nicest people. We're developing a bigger presence in the industry which is incredibly exciting to be a part of!

Cons

Compensation is below market for corporate seattle jobs. There's a bonus structure that makes no sense and salaries are on the lower end. Budgets for annual review comp was really low and there is not a 'pay for performance' mentality. This makes me worries about my long term earning potential and wish I would have negotiated my salary a lot more before I started!

Evaluate salary levels to make sure you don't loose more good talent due to compensation. What we have right now isn't working. Seattle is very competitive, not just in engineering and employees are realizing this. Don't make employees leave for better salaries.

Not what I thought it would be like.

Current Contractor - Associate Agent

I have been working at Redfin as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

It is great having a rewarding job helping people with the biggest purchase in their life. We work with a diverse clientele from all over the world and many different backgrounds. Most of our clients are young first time home buyers.

Getting to work with a great team of hard working people that really care about their clients.

One can grow with the company if located in a growth market which warrants them offering more full time positions.

When a position opens up the management seems good about hiring from within the office.

AA’s main jobs are to do tours, open houses, contractor visits, check/HUD pickups and etc. We are available to help out the Agents by taking excess events they can't handle.

It is great to work for a young dynamic company, with great core values that one can support, and is becoming a disruptive force in the real estate industry. They are constantly evolving the business model and technology to create a better customer experience and more transparency in the industry.

The ability to create your own schedule in Agent Tools. We have non standard hours. Most clients wants to tour on weekday evenings and weekends.

Local management in my area has years of real estate experience though they had no prior management experience and it shows when they avoid conflict and try to be friends with everyone.

I will start by saying that the position is fine for people that are looking for a decent part time job to supplement their income as long as they can handle the internal politics and inconsistent work. Your mileage may vary depending on the local management, team leads and the market.

Cons

Associate Agents are independent contractors that are paid a set fee per event, and not a salary or commission. The company doesn't offer AA’s any benefits or expense reimbursement. In recent years the company has made their full-time Agents attend at least 80% of all their clients events which leaves less work for the AA’s. During the winter months the market is generally very slow so the Agents end up handling the bulk of the events. In addition AA's are not compensated for the time it takes to setup tours or travel time to events.

Each metro area is broken up into zones that are each covered by a team. Your home location will determine the zone you cover. Take into account that some zones are more in demand than others which effects the overall work available in that area.

I find it difficult to know exactly how much I will make each pay period since up to half my events will cancel. It's common for customers to cancel their tours at the last minute, or the homes go under agreement before a tour can even be scheduled. There is minimum reimbursement for cancelled events.

The local area managers over hire AA’s to fill out the teams instead of hiring more Agents. On top of this, the Agents have their favorites and will assign the bulk of the work to their friends/relatives on the team. I also had issues with Agents reassigning my events to their friends or themselves without even asking. On the team I work there are two AA’s (out of eight) that get the bulk of the events, even though they have other jobs while everyone else can't make ends meet.

Redfin promotes that they are creating many new full time positions throughout the company. Part of this is true, since they are constantly expanding into new markets each year. What they don’t mention is once the company hits market saturation in an area, the job creation will cease. There is always some turnover so a position/s may open up during the year. There is a lot of AA turnover especially after people realize they cannot make a livable income here and most have to get another job to pay the bills.

Regardless what the job applications states, experience or even customer reviews doesn't play a major role in promotions. The majority of the full time employees, including the Agents, have no real estate experience.
    There is a company wide policy to actively recruit from current employee’s families and friends. This means relatives or long term friends could be working together on the same team. This creates situations of preferential treatment with work allotment and promotions. The local management does not always publicly post openings, and may only interview pre-selected candidates.

There is no in depth AA training. During the year the local offices will hold one maybe two AA training class and there are some online courses. Attendance is not mandatory at meetings. The Team Leads or Senior Agents are supposed to mentor all new agents but they do not have the time to devote to training. The outcome is many AA’s are not knowledgeable about the local market, or real estate in general which frustrate clients. AA’s are usually left to their own devices without much oversight.

There is inconsistent communication between Agents, AA’s, and the coordinators which leads to major problems and more work for everyone to resolve. Agents are busy and don’t always respond to questions.

The company should try to hire people that have some real estate experience. Recruiting from friends and families creates too many situations of favoritism in regards to work and promotions. There needs to be accountability for managers and team leads to pick the right people for the job and not base their decisions on other factors. In addition, It would be better to have fewer AA’s on teams who are able to make this a full time job. Right now most AA's have another job, which reduces their weekly availability. This creates situation were management has to hire more AA's to have enough people available during the weekdays. It is a vicious cycle.

Best technology driven real estate company

I have been working at Redfin

Pros

Flexibility in scheduling
    Best website and apps for managing schedule

Cons

work balance can be difficult, too much or too little to do

Awesome company with a great mission and passion for changing real estate

Current Employee - Market Manager
    Current Employee - Market Manager

I have been working at Redfin full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I love working for this company. This business model is not for everyone though. The company gives you all your business and clients through the website so you're not out trying to get business, which in a traditional real estate model is how a Realtor spends 70% of their time. So at Redfin all your time is devoted to clients. If working with clients and negotiating contracts is your favorite part of the job then Redfin maybe a good fit. Some of the other great benefits to an employee position:
    -100% company paid health insurance - and it's very good insurance too.
    -All your expenses paid: MLS dues, e and o insurance, mileage, marketing, etc..
    -In most markets (maybe all) you can still make your own schedule but to be successful you must open your calendar and be available during peek home touring times.
    -great promotion potential

Great company values and culture that really encourage you to be your best and give your best.

Cons

After working for this company and reading some of the positive and negative reviews it is clear to me that a lot of things people mentioned in their reviews are market specific, meaning it all depends who the market manager, area mangers are as to how they run their market. So if you are considering a position and there is something your are concerned about go to the interview and ask the manager(s) about your concerns. They really give a lot of leeway to the managers to run their markets as they see fit.

Keep up the great work!

This company will be successful but can you survive until that point?

Current Employee - Real Estate
    Current Employee - Real Estate

I have been working at Redfin full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-Excellent benefits.
    -Operations roles specialize in a particular function.
    -Corporate Culture
    -There are some truly dynamic, talented people at Redfin.
    -Coordinators are well-paid given the amount of education, skill and experience required.
    -Business model is a great value for customers.
    -"Corporate" side works hard but is fairly compensated from what I understand.

Cons

-Agents/Managers in operations are completely over-worked and exhausted.
    -Pay is very low relative to workload/experience. Top-performer/manager pay is shockingly low.
    -No relief from customer demands or public survey.
    -Training team has little practical understanding of what operations staff needs to be successful.
    -Burn-out is high.

Find real solutions for work-life balance and reconsider the way the survey is used. The survey could be a useful tool or be used positively but agents absolutely resent the power it has over their compensation, performance reviews and public reputation. Reward your best people who are killing themselves for the company and trying so hard to keep the quality of service high for customers. They want success for all of the right reasons but you are in danger of losing so much talent to burn-out.

Average. Fun place, but nothing unique.

Former Intern - Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Former Intern - Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Redfin as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Fun co workers and friendly people all round

Cons

Not many events for employees

More involvement

Job not career

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Redfin full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Really young fun group. Has a small feel even though it's been around for a long time and is over 1,500 employees. Free lunches and tons of food in the office. We also got back from an all paid company meeting in San Diego! What companies still do that?!

Cons

Leaders of the company are pretty young and seem inexperienced... Years back there was a lot of Right time right place and "tada" you earned a Director title. That means they don't hire anyone more qualified than them, thus keeping the talent below par for most mid-level roles.

Evaluate those in your senior level roles. Are they the best out there? If you had to hire for the role now, would you still hire them?

Don't believe the hype!

Current Contractor - Associate Agent

I have been working at Redfin as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Many pros on Redfin. One of the best feature is that you have a direct say on when you want to work. The technology Redfin is second to none. You can let the tour coordinators know when you have availability to work by simply updating your weekly calendar on your Agent tools website. As an independent contractor you don't have a boss overlooking your every move. Fabulous place to learn the real estate business from the ground up. You get to interact with customers and also do some of the other tasks that traditional real estate agents do. Tasks like attending inspections, completing inspection reports, doing open-houses, and interacting with other local real estate agents from traditional firms. For someone who has not being in the real estate world this is like getting pay to go to school or on the job training. Other perks on this job include being influential to customers. Customers look upon you as a pillar of knowledge. You can easily refer these clients to contractors, lenders, and other businesses. If you crave popularity in your area this job will do that for you. I've once attended a showing on a house from one of the area's top producing real estate agent who immediately recognize me and said "I know who you are." Overall if you want to test out if real estate is the right field for you to be in and you don't want to risk not having a paycheck until your first deal closes then Redfin is the place for you. As an independent contractor you get to experience the whole home buying or selling transaction from start to finish.

Cons

Just like the pros, there are quite a few cons. I will try to hit as many as possible since I know that when I started I had an idea on what I was getting myself into due to other reviews posted on Glassdoor. First, the main cons a new associate agent needs to be concern with is the income. The income you earn at Redfin as an associate agent depends on three factors; 1. the area you are in 2. the area management and team lead 3. the time of the year. Let's start by saying that if you are in an area of growth this may not be good because there are not too many customers who want to tour homes or even know the Redfin way. If your area has plenty of homes price at over $300,000 and the potential home buyers or sellers are tech savvy then you don't need to worry about not having enough demand for Redfin's services. The reason this is related to your income is that Redfin's refund to buyers policy works best if the subject property is higher than $300,000 anything less than this price range is not worth the hassle for Redfin. Customers who are pursuing a home below the $300,000 range are immediately referred to Partner Agents. I strongly disagree in giving any business to Partner Agents because this is just simply throwing away profits for Redfin and income for independent contractors. Now let's address the pecking order on how tours are assigned. The hierarchy if any exists goes Team Lead, Sr. Agent, Agent, and then Associate Agent. So if your area is not too tight knit with family and friends working together then you may have a chance on getting book for a tour but only after it is offer to the people listed above you. This brings up the second factor of the potential to earn money depends on the area manager and the team lead. If the area manager and team lead feel like they need to have plenty of associate agents on staff then they will over hire. So instead of getting 5 or 6 tour bookings per week you may now have only 1 or 2. I talked to other Associate Agents in other areas who say they are in high demand right off the gate. For one example, the other associate agent was doing inspections and open houses about 30 days after being hired. In my area I had to until 4 months before doing an open house and first inspection. There is no way of knowing before you are hire if your area is a high demand area and if you are going to be making some decent money. During my interview process I asked and the team lead and Area Manager both said I would be getting at least 3-4 assignments weekly however this was so far from the truth. As an associate agent you are the last one on the pecking order so when the home buying or selling season is slow all the assignments are hogged up by the Redfin Agents. Thus, you don't make any money for long periods. It is important a new Associate agent is aware of this because you probably won't be making that much money during the holidays and you may need to put your annual real estate dues on your credit card. Now there are other cons associated with this position that are a nuisance. Some customers will simply rely heavily on you to be the communicator during the transaction. This is because the agents that write deals are too busy to get back to the customer on a timely manner. In most situations the customers don't get the Redfin process and think that they can depend on the associate agent to look up comps, send over tax information, and even recommend a number to submit an offer. In these instances I would gladly forward the message to the Agents but the customers would later tell me that they had not heard from the Agent in a few days and were upset because they missed out on submitting an offer. The problem of assisting these clients is that as an Associate agent you only get pay for specific assignments such as touring homes, inspections, etc. There is no compensation for going the extra mile and fulfilling clients' request. Another negative for Redfin, I must bring up the compensation factor. If you calculate all your expenses such as your gas, your dues, and your time spent on completing assignments as an Associate agent in order to make $35,000 annually you will see yourself putting in more than 40 hours per week. Finally, if you think you may want to tough it out and hope that one day your hard work pays off and you land an opening full time position you may be disappointed. The hiring on these openings in my area is strictly based on the politics and not on performance. It doesn't matter if you've are always available and your reviews are all 10s the one thing the Area Manager and Team lead are looking for is who are you connected to. So if your spouse or close friend is already working with Redfin you are a shoe in for that position.

Upper management needs to address the following issues before the competition catches up. I propose hiring Associate Agents after they have proven themselves during a probation period. This way they can feel part of the organization. The other recommendation is that all areas should be ran following the same structure. It puzzles me how neighboring areas are ran so differently. It seems that on one area there could be so many Redfin Associate agents hired that instead of 3 or 4 making a decent paycheck you have 1 or 2 receiving all the assignments while the remaining 4 are barely receiving one or two assignments per week. The best solution would be to have 3 Associate agents who can all earn a living. Another advice to management is to stop giving away deals to Redfin Partner Agents. You have Associate Agents ready to assist in these transactions but you rather throw it away to Redfin Partners. Use your resources efficiently and develop a plan to keep the business in-house. I understand that you don't want to deal with these deals because of the low return but when you have Associate Agents desperately trying to make ends meet why not throw us a bone. Some associate agents can do more than just show houses, they can also write deals. If the Redfin culture is too discriminate on homebuyers' who can't afford the $500,000 homes then what does it say about it's corporate values and vision. Make the business model work for the working class people, not just the ones who earn six figures. If Redfin wants to gain market share try expanding in the areas you are already in by helping the buyers who can only afford the $100,000 - $299,000 homes.

Redfin Photos