Redner's Markets

Add Photos

Richard Redner

Good Company

Assistant Produce Manager (Current Employee) Shenandoah, PA

ProsAs long as you do your job you shouldn't have any problem fitting in with this company, most of the managers I have worked with are very friendly and realize life happens.

ConsThere are sometime false advancement opportunities, some of the supervisors like to tell you that you will advance in a short period of time and then when that time comes they tell you that you didn't do what was needed to advance, but never told you what you were doing right or wrong.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't give false hope to struggling people.

It was a great learning experience

Deli Clerk, Bakery Clerk, and Cashier (Former Employee) Kenhorst, PA

ProsI had usually flexible hours, raise after a year, good co-workers, I learned a lot about different departments. I experienced different challenges and experiences depending on what department I worked. They are willing to work with you if you're willing to work for them. I had great bosses.

ConsThere was high stress during holiday seasons. Store Management can change at the drop of a hat. People can be transferred to other stores with little notice.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverall, I enjoyed my two years at Redner's. I gained a lot of experience that I've carried with me even now. My advice to management would be as to not overwork your department managers. The managers I worked under went beyond the call and gave their jobs their all. I don't believe that they are given the credit they are due, whether it's longer vacations or "thank your manager" themed days, I don't know. But they do need to know that they are doing a good job. I know mine did.
    As to another suggestion, would be to watch out for seedy characters who try or do make passes at female staff. Even if it's coming for someone who works within the company. My former store director (who I worked under for a year) was kind enough to handle a similar situation for me. It was good for me to know that he was looking out for me. Once he left my store, I didn't experience that kind of care from the new store director.

Good company with problems

Manager (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsIt's a job that pays and you get paid weekly. I'm going to repeat what I saw in a previous review "pay checks clear". You don't have to worry about that.
    Good health benefits.

ConsMost managers fail to understand that their is more to managing than just giving out orders.
    Management fails to motivate employees. Moral in the company is very low.
    Pay is low.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider promoting mangers that have taken college management courses. A lot of the problem could be solved if the Store Directors know how to lead and motivate. Not just manage.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Bad Management

ProsThe only pro, and biggest pro, is that management usually is willing to work with your schedule. In fact, that's a big reason why I give the company 3 stars instead of 1.

ConsThe pay is only $8 - it decreased from $9. There is no differential pay for working overnights, and not really any room for growth. My co-worker has worked here for 3 years and his pay rate hasn't changed! The management is disorganized and even immature at times (e.g. instead of telling us if we did something incorrectly, they would "punish" us with larger workloads in a minimal amount of time). It can be a fun place to work if you're 18-20 because all of the employees love to play around.

Advice to Senior ManagementDifferential pay for working overnights (I thought this was pretty much standard for every company but I guess not), employee discount, and a closer look at the employees!

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Not a good place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros-Some flexibility for part-time employees

Cons-Unprofessionalism across the board.
    -My supervisor was very arrogant, even grabbed a couple beers across the street while on the clock.
    -Even store managers have little say.
    -Low morale.
    -Consistent store manager turnover. In the 20 months I was there, there was 5 store manager changes, only one of those was qualified.
    -Employees that suck up get a small raise before the hard workers.
    -Your typical greedy upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn some business ethics.

Best job I could ask for in high school

Produce Clerk (Former Employee) Whitehall, PA

ProsI was blessed with the best manager and a really understanding, flexible store director.
    Great pay for part-time, flexible schedule, vacation, 401k, awesome coworkers. Worked here for 6 years and never had any real issues.

ConsNot allowed to use cell phones. Customers aren't like wegman's customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop catering to the food stamps people and start cleaning up your stores. Needs a more updated layout!

If You Enjoy Favoritism, and Sexual Harassment, This Job Is For YOU!!!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIf you are a supervisor, you are living the dream! Rules apply only to "Red Shirts" (the popular term management uses in reference to it's employees).
    Supervisors ALSO get to date managers! And those managers are also not required to follow any of the rules of the company. If the manager dates her manager, she can do no wrong!
    On the plus side of dating the supervisor, you CAN'T get fired! If you caused enough problems in one store, they will just move you to a new store! So start flirting with the higher-ups, and you gain the Redner's Shield of "I Can Do Whatever I want"!
    Speaking of moving to another store, the rules also don't apply to people who corporate have a "soft spot" for. So if you are being sexually harassed, no one cares! They just move those people to a different store, because that will clearly not cause problems elsewhere.

Cons-If management doesn't like you, they will do everything, and I do mean EVERYTHING in their power to get you to quit on your own so they don't have to pay unemployment. If you still don't quit, they just say you stole something and move on with it.
    -How do you feel about being on call at all times? And how do you feel about getting LITERALLY SCREAMED AT by your manager when your phone is off, so they couldn't get through to you? When you work for Redner's, you WORK. FOR. REDNERS. Meaning anything you had planned on your day off is null and void. If you have children, you better hope that they never ever get sick, because Redner's will tell you that THE COMPANY COMES FIRST.
    -If you are applying to be anything less than the supervisor of Redner's, your job, and life, will be a living hell. Managers do not feel the need to help anyone do anything, no matter how busy the store is. They will, however, LEAVE THE STORE to talk to their boyfriends on the phone, outside, in their car, multiple times through out the day. Managers are also better than you, and you should figure that out fast. They make sure that you know who has authority in the store, and who is "just a red shirt".
    -Have any complaints about the store or it's managers/supervisors? You are LITERALLY better off just quitting your job, because once they catch wind that you aren't too fond of them, the "Let's Try To Make This Person Quit" game begins.
    -Any advice you give to managers on sales WILL be taken as an insult, and you WILL get in trouble for "snooping around in company business", EVEN. IF. YOU. ARE. JUST. SUGGESTING. A. NEW. FLAVOR. OF. ICE CREAM. TO GET IN.
    -Oh, did you want that raise? Well, you can only get your 25 cent YEARLY raise if your manager evaluates your performance within the company. And if the manager doesn't feel like giving you the evaluation, the company isn't in too much of a rush to get you your raise, either.
    -Do you need help on your register? Is something not coming up correctly? Make sure you never tell a manager about it, because they will just come up to you, tell you it is an easy problem to fix, and then walk away with their cell phone to talk to Prince Redner's outside. No where do they mention how to fix the problem, and who cares if you have 15 people waiting in line. You can figure it out because it's easy!
    -Are you 2 minuets late to work? You are going to hear about it for the next hour... Unless of course your manager is also an hour and a half late for work. Then you only hear about it for about 15 minuets.
    -Yes, everything IS your fault!
    -Do you work part time? 48 hours one week, and 36 the next week, for some reason doesn't constitute full time, so you will be getting paid a dollar less for more work. JUST so long as they don't have to pay those nasty health benefits out to you.

Advice to Senior ManagementI can't give any advice. It's considered "snooping in company business".

Not the worst part-time job

Cashier (Former Employee)

ProsAs a cashier I had plenty of opportunities to work on my skills relating to customers, and I made some good friends with the other employees. They were usually good about scheduling regular breaks.

ConsWorking with the lady who did scheduling was always terrible, and I could have definitely used more hours. Training was minimal and didn't prepare me for some of the more difficult situations to handle.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf someone is going to be put in control of everyone's schedules, it would be nice if they were at least personable and reasonable.

workplace bullying

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Reading, PA

ProsThe pay rate and raised were decent.

ConsI was bullied by my coworkers on a daily basis. It got worst after I received Employee of the month. Management did nothing about the bullying. Place was filthy and they do not rotate stock. When i mentioned about not rotating stock management did nothing about it. They denied my vacation every year. There is not chance of working full time and they do not want to pay for health insurance.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees when they have a problem

horrible

Deli Clerk (Former Employee) Schuylkill Haven, PA

Prosgood coworkers, that's about it honestly. there weren't a ton of pros at all.

Conshorrible supervisor and horrible management. don't care about your health or family,

Advice to Senior Managementbe a little more understanding of your employees needs, don't make them feel horrible because they are sick.

Worked for Redner's Markets? Contribute to the Community!