Redpoint Technologies

Updated June 24, 2014
Updated June 24, 2014

3.9

Matthew T. Mead

Good employer to work with

Current Employee - Software Architect  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Software Architect in Chicago, IL

Pros

Get to learn new technologies because of nature of the job
    Management treats their employees pretty well (senior mgmt knows every person by name)
    Good Compensation
    Decent time off
    Decent benefits

Cons

As with any services company where you work may not be in one place for a long time (thats why I gave little bit low points for work-life balance)

Keep up the Redpoint values and culture

confluence of very bright minds

Pros

- some of the best talents work here

Cons

- Not very connected group

Make room for more team activities.

Extremely rare assemblage of gifted and talented individuals in one company.

Current Employee - Senior Software Architect  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Software Architect in Chicago, IL

Pros

As consulting companies go, Redpoint is unique in its "purity" of talent - there is no dead weight, and the consultants there tend to be very enthusiastic about their work and willing to share their knowledge. As a result, Redpoint projects are largely successful, and there is great opportunity for personal growth.

Most work is local (primarily Chicago, with some suburban clients); very little hop-on-a-plane type travel is required. Management goes out of its way to funnel travel-oriented engagements to employees who enjoy (or can at least tolerate) that arrangement.

Camaraderie is pretty good for a consulting firm where people tend to be scattered among many clients. People get together for brown bag lunches (informal talks), show-and-tell nights, geeky board game nights, etc.

Cons

Consulting assignments are a mix of true project work and staff augmentation. On staff aug assignments, Redpoint consultants often work with client staff and "low-priced consultants" from other firms - and are expected to deliver many times what their teammates do (because of the great reputation built on past successes).

Create even more opportunities for consultants to get together, informally, to share ideas and learn from one another.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great people, skilled professionals, not enough projects and growth opportunities

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

Pros

Great environment.
    Highly skilled IT professionals.
    Fair and open management.
    Good compensation.
    Opportunity to learn new technologies.
    Nobody gets laid off even during recession.
    Overall it's much better than an average consulting experience, but could be somewhat worse than a good full-time work.

Cons

The company is centered around handful of bigger clients. It results in a lack of interesting project opportunities and potential instability.

Absolutely no career growth opportunity as all people are essentially consultants, who simply do what client requires on a project.

While compensation is above average, its growth is way below average.

Management rarely pushes back when it comes to unreasonable client requirements putting all the burden on consultants.

Not enough interaction between company employees due to rare gatherings.

Company needs more clients for stability.

It's also good to tighten connections between employees by organizing more gatherings during work hours at company's expense.

Better compensation growth and ability to shuffle people between projects are the keys to keeping good people for a long time.

Despite all the negatives it's a good company.

Problem abound

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Redpoint hires good quality consultants and offers above average pay. They encourage employees to explore new technologies and adopt Agile methods.

Cons

Parent company SPR poorly handles benefits especially insurance plan information (it took weeks to get the details straight and many inaccurate facts were published.) Health insurance options offer a poor network with very poor benefits. Dental coverages maxes out around $1100 per year. Management has ego issues and is less than competent. Communication is abysmal. This company is fine for junior folks but experienced people will find it very frustrating.

Get the staff on board with Agile. Some senior management have no idea what Agile is. Improve communication. Trust your lead folks to do their job. Senior management does not have to pretend they know everything. Return to Agile best practices. Add salespeople, one salesman is not enough to grow. Manage customers better to allow consultants to move around instead of telling consultants they are stuck at their current client for years to come. DO NOT HIDE client feedback from the consulting staff. Admit mistakes and improve. Don't play the blame game. Get appropriate feedback from your staff before jumping to conclusions. Budget for a small bench at all times. Keep the bench engaged with internal projects or R&D that benefits the company.

Great local boutique consulting firm

Pros

They hire really good people, so you get to learn a lot working with your peers. Also offer a way to pick up new skills like iOS development, Ruby on Rails, and latest agile stuff like BDD and Cucumber.

Cons

Typical consulting stuff - unpredictable commute, etc.

Try to provide more opportunities to bring consultants together

Some of the best technologists that I have ever worked with

Pros

I worked at Redpoint Technologies for 5 years and I have enjoyed my time at Redpoint.
    Not every company is a good fit for someone, and not everyone is a good fit for a company.
    I would like to offer a counter experience to those that are listed here.

Redpoint is a company of highly skilled engineers that genuinely work together as a team.
    You can go to any one in the company with a question and they will help you out.

My experience is that I was able to work with some very talented people, on a variety of
    different projects using a variety of different technologies. I personally enjoyed the
    challenge of different projects, and continually learning the latest technologies so I
    could apply it to those projects. I think there is career growth - but it might depend
    upon your definition of career growth. My definition of career growth is one where I am
    called upon to be a technical leader applying my background and skills to new problems. I
    define career growth as learning about new technologies, such as mobile development, and
    then being asked to work on or lead a mobile project. I felt that my career grew because
    I was given the chance to learn new technologies and become a leader in Redpoint around
    those technologies. I don't define career growth as the number of rungs on the ladder I
    climbed. Redpoint is willing to give you as much responsibility as you are willing and
    capable of taking on. I have never felt that my career was held back at Redpoint.

I think the senior management is very good. As one reviewer pointed out, they have never
    had a layoff and that is because the senior management values the employees more than just
    about anywhere else I have ever worked. They have made tough decisions so that they never
    had to tell a valued employee that they are going home that evening to their family without a job.
    Maybe they will never teach a class on Agile development - but other companies should take
    notes on how to run a company.

Every consulting company would love an infinite supply of large clients. However,
    Redpoint is recognized by their clients as providing a lot of value which is why they use
    Redpoint engineers. Once a project concludes, we are almost always asked to work on other
    projects. While it might be considered a negative to have a few large clients - it is actually the best compliment your client can give you.

Overall - if you are someone that enjoys technology, are willing to learn new technologies
    to open doors and opportunities for yourself, and appreciates senior management that can make tough choices to be sure no one is laid off, then Redpoint is a great place to work.

Cons

If I have to say there is a negative, it would be the need for more frequent and regular
    company meetings. It is sometimes difficult to get everyone together with the various
    projects going on and with the quality of people that Redpoint has, you really do want to
    get together and share what is going on.

Continue to focus on the people and make sure they are able and equipped to do their very best. The rest will take care of itself.

Worked for Redpoint Technologies? Contribute to the Community!