Reed Business Information

Reed Business Information RBI Global Chief Executive Officer Mark Kelsey
Mark Kelsey

1. Not bad

I worked at Reed Business Information

Pros

They had a lot of facilities

Cons

The salaries could have been higher

Technology run by meglamaniacs managing up but not down

Former Employee - Technology Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Technology Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Reed Business Information full-time

Pros

Opportunities to work with some great technology and within a modern development environment.

Cons

CIO and CTO focussed purely on managing upwards with very little time for their staff. Protecting themselves from 'Real' senior executives among the board who gained respect from the business through success and not by trying to manage by fear.
    CTO was promoted with very limited experience in management (Managing a small team of architects) and was very out of his depth.

Advice to Management

Have HR impose themselves more on the poor management of staff within technology.

Intéressant mais instable...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Issy-les-Moulineaux (France)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Issy-les-Moulineaux (France)

I worked at Reed Business Information

Pros

A l'époque :
    A la pointe en data / crm / digital
    Bonne ambiance de travail, équipe soudée

Cons

Stratégie financière court terme de l'actionnaire : instabilité dans les décisions, chamboulement des périmètres, difficultés à fidéliser

Advice to Management

Trouver un nouvel actionnaire intéressé par le développement du business à LT (vision patrimoniale) et pas uniquement financière CT

5. Good employer with great benefits who cares for its staff

I worked at Reed Business Information full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Many markets within a RBI umbrella. Lots of opportunities to move around around the markets. There are always courses you can go on to extend your industry knowledge or job role.

Offered good benefits including pensions and 28 days annual leave.

Cons

Worked in market silos. Deployment is very rigid and has to be done centrally, this can be a good thing also to avoid corrupting the Production environment.

Head Office location is not great.

Advice to Management

Listen to the guy on the ground and do not think that because they are lowly they do not have good ideas.

6. Flight Global

I worked at Reed Business Information

Pros

Great benefits package. Shares are doing well, shame pay rises are miserly. Other divisions have better reputations for having fun at work.

Cons

Treated like robots to look after business as usual. Only exciting projects go to the contractors. Strategy - iffy!

Advice to Management

Listen to the team. Involve individuals more. Rotate different types of responsibilities to engage staff. Train people in soft and hard skills (senior management definitely!).

7. Good for short term experience, be wary of micro-mangement

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Reed Business Information full-time

Pros

Good office environment
    Good holiday allocation (29 days a year)
    Work life balance is good

Cons

- I'm extremely micromanaged on my role at the company. To the point that is just way over the top! It feels like my employer does not trust to me do the job I am hired to do.
    - Very poor opportunities for career growth. Was told there would be many, but there is a distinct glass ceiling.
    - Middle management treat employees under them very badly.
    - Half of the department is based in Sutton, which makes forming relationships very difficult.

Advice to Management

Listen to new ideas coming through from new members of the team. Saying 'This is the way we've always done things' is really unattractive for employees to hear.

8. Great Experience

I worked at Reed Business Information

Pros

Great training, amazing people to work with and overall a very positive experience. Also very good career progression and company award scheme.

Cons

Adaptability to online media can sometimes be slow, like any big corporate the processes and corporate line can be tedious. One rule for one does not necessarily work for all.

9. RCD, now Construction Market Data (CMD) is an ever-changing exciting place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lombard, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lombard, IL

I have been working at Reed Business Information full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Candid, straight-forward manager, open to new ideas and willing to help! Supportive teammates, phenomenal benefits with very generous time off starting at day one of employment.

Cons

New goals are often introduced without end to end report testing and without considering an appropriate benchmark period to ensure goals are attainable by more than 1/8th of the team.

Advice to Management

Understanding the Customer must be the driver behind our business, upper management must be more inclusive when goal setting to avoid managing to a number over the best interest of our products,.

10. A great first-time job for a university graduate

Former Employee - Key Account Executive in Sutton, London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Key Account Executive in Sutton, London, England (UK)

I worked at Reed Business Information full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits package and incentives. RBI are always ensuring employees strive to develop and are excellent and recognising good performance.
    Good linkage between internal stakeholders across different departments. I was in a sales department but had close contact with editorial, marketing etc. I would recommend working here.

Cons

Sales environment can sometimes feel like you are being policed but it is to be expected as it is target driven.

11. To sum up toxic place to work...lack of being able to take initiative..MICRO MANAGEMENT...lack of transparency

Former Employee - Sales Person in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Person in London, England (UK)

I worked at Reed Business Information full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- 29 days holiday
    - lots of training

Cons

- they expect you to do things there way even when you are an experienced hire
    - management in the FRAF region micro-manage from day one and i suspect in other regions too
    - constantly being evaluated by line management on a daily basis..during probation you need to do at least 5 role plays..have 10 calls monitored by management..all in an effort to guide you and receive 'feedback'
    - they set monthly KPIs which are not done transparently and probation lasts six months so they can release you at one weeks notice during this period
    - management are not transparent and favour certain team members..lots of politics going on
    - i was promised i could earn XYZ before i started but was given my commission sheet after six weeks of joining and the commission was bad..only 4% for new business sales and didnt reflect what HR and my manager had told me in the interview stages
    - they price in US dollars so the commission amounts in pounds are peanuts unless you are given the Global Banking accounts where you can make a killing however as a new starter you will be given the most challenging regions

Advice to Management

Get rid of your micromanagers and show them the door..perhaps there will be more enthusiasm at the ground level...

RSS Feed </> Embed