Reed Business Information

Updated October 6, 2014
3.3

Reed Business Information RBI Global Chief Executive Officer Mark Kelsey
Mark Kelsey

A great first-time job for a university graduate

Former Employee - Key Account Executive in Sutton, London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Key Account Executive in Sutton, London, England (UK)

I worked at Reed Business Information full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits package and incentives. RBI are always ensuring employees strive to develop and are excellent and recognising good performance.
    Good linkage between internal stakeholders across different departments. I was in a sales department but had close contact with editorial, marketing etc. I would recommend working here.

Cons

Sales environment can sometimes feel like you are being policed but it is to be expected as it is target driven.

To sum up toxic place to work...lack of being able to take initiative..MICRO MANAGEMENT...lack of transparency

Former Employee - Sales Person in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Person in London, England (UK)

I worked at Reed Business Information full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- 29 days holiday
    - lots of training

Cons

- they expect you to do things there way even when you are an experienced hire
    - management in the FRAF region micro-manage from day one and i suspect in other regions too
    - constantly being evaluated by line management on a daily basis..during probation you need to do at least 5 role plays..have 10 calls monitored by management..all in an effort to guide you and receive 'feedback'
    - they set monthly KPIs which are not done transparently and probation lasts six months so they can release you at one weeks notice during this period
    - management are not transparent and favour certain team members..lots of politics going on
    - i was promised i could earn XYZ before i started but was given my commission sheet after six weeks of joining and the commission was bad..only 4% for new business sales and didnt reflect what HR and my manager had told me in the interview stages
    - they price in US dollars so the commission amounts in pounds are peanuts unless you are given the Global Banking accounts where you can make a killing however as a new starter you will be given the most challenging regions

Get rid of your micromanagers and show them the door..perhaps there will be more enthusiasm at the ground level...

Dinosaur-like management

I worked at Reed Business Information full-time

Pros

Benefits were OK-ish. Large portfolio of companies meant lots of exposure and fingers in a lot of different pots. Global brand was nice.

Cons

Utter disaster. President was an Astin-Martin driving joke. Luckily they sold off their holdings in dying industry so got better.

Marketing

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Reed Business Information full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people to work with, very approachable
    Worked on some very interesting projects
    Very dynamic
    Good benefits, very flexible
    Growing business

Cons

Dreary offices
    Too much bureaucracy (at times)
    Can be inward-looking (at times)
    Worked in a number of areas, and v different experience depending on manager approach and philosophy

Coach your managers more; decorate your offices; don't stifle creativity with too much process and be wary of bad apples. There we're a couple of very negative people in my team that soured the bowl for everyone.

reed business information - global leader in business information and data services

I have been working at Reed Business Information full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

world class business products
    employer of choice
    good training and career opportunities
    strong leadership and managers
    interesting, creative, dynamic jobs for people who are prepared to work hard
    works hard at listening to customers and employees

Cons

very few - sutton location not ideal. work life balance could be better

very good start to my career

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Executive in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Executive in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Reed Business Information full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits (annual leave and pension) are fantastic. The training program was essential to my early progression and have allowed me to gain great insights into how a large company is run.

Cons

I would prefer a central location rather than the had office in Sutton. Also I have found the pay limitations means that often the most talented colleagues will lave the company.

I would recommend 6 month pay reviews based on performance

Marketing

I worked at Reed Business Information full-time

Pros

Lots of annual leave and flexible hours, pension.

Cons

You only progress if the people that have worked there for 10+ years like you, doesn't matter if you're good at the job or not. The company as a whole is good but weak & closed minded leadership within marketing makes it a bad place to work

Bring in sweeping changes to marketing. young ambitious staff used as scapegoats by long-time senior staff; very high staff turnover. Poor morale.

Very sales-driven

I have been working at Reed Business Information (more than 3 years)

Pros

Overall good team work, salary package is above market rate

Cons

Too focus on KPI and lack of transparency on how KPI were set. Sometimes too focus on discussing about the problems and not fixing the root cause.

Listen and be open-minded to feedback.

Great experience for first job but extremely corporate and judgmental environment

Current Employee - Sales in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Reed Business Information full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Generous annual leave (28 days per year and good hours (typically 9am-5pm). As a first job you will learn a lot about the world of work and are given extensive training. As this is a large company and often with large teams you will have the opportunity to meet a large pool of people and enjoy a team atmosphere, with frequent nights out and numerous partied throughout the year. The money varies but can be good, depending on your role.

Cons

The constant pressure to perform and succeed can be a positive thing but not when mixed in with serious hypocrisies from the management and executive (i.e. we want you to make as much money as possible and then capping your bonus). Furthermore a gossipy atmosphere can exist where if you are not favoured at executive level, it probably won't be too long until you're out of the door. As a result staff can feel a constant need to be favoured and adored by senior management leading to a toxic atmosphere and baiting between lower tiered colleagues.

Hire better quality staff and allow your current ones more independence to express themselves. Many staff have left due to the rigidity of the RBI structure and the feeling amongst colleagues that they are treated like children.

Good opportunity for sales training and sales-related activities.

I worked at Reed Business Information full-time

Pros

Good sales training and support from management to reach goals.

Cons

Micro management by first line management.