Reed Elsevier Group

www.reedelsevier.com

Reed Elsevier Group Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014
Reed Elsevier Group – Amsterdam – “Reed Elsevier Headquarters”

Reed Elsevier Group CEO and Director; CEO, Reed Elsevier PLC, Reed Elsevier NV, Elsevier Division Erik Engstrom

Erik Engstrom

Pros
  • ownership, freedom to work compared to other competition companies,work life balance(in 8 reviews)

• Great benefits and company supported initiatives(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Communication between senior management and the its' reporting teams is not always optimal(in 6 reviews)

• Poor strategy and execution of off shoring and outsourcing leads to loss of talent, poorer customer service and inefficiency(in 4 reviews)

Satisfied

Financial Analyst (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

Prosgreat people, great salary, great benefits, very relaxed working environment

Consnot enough annual raise the last couple of years

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Out in the trenches

ProsLots of training and traveling, simple org structure, nice and brilliant colleagues. competitive wage and holidays. Can be long term if one wants to.

ConsThe work gets redundant after 6 months
    extremely hands on, one do all
    generally unhappy customer due to stringent commercial practice

Advice to Senior Managementfor a company this size stock option would be nice to reward and retain talents or loyal employees, incentives and benefits are not unified

Excellent company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

Pros- Great mission and contribution to society
    - Talented management
    - Strong financial results allowing for good compensations
    - Very good employee atmosphere

Cons- Not yet as innovative as we would like it to be
    - Not changing as fast as we would like
    - You need to find your own opportunities to progress

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company needs more bold changes
    We need to invest more in technology
    We need to become more knowledgeable about our customers

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Logistics Manager

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWonderful company with a close knit community of employees all working towards a similar goal of delivering a product on time. Each member of the staff knew there responsibilities and understood what made the company tick.

ConsPace was always quickened due to time sensitive objectives. Working till the job was completed was always something we had to handle.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow employees to set beforehand a working timeframe when starting a workweek. Once this is established it will beenefit the company.

Ups and Downs at LexisNexis

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Dayton, OH

ProsWork is diverse and challenging

ConsThey are outsourcing the software and app development employees

Advice to Senior ManagementCost is not the only solution to being "World Class"!

Solid global corporation, but not brilliant at career development

Technology (Current Employee) Oxford, England (UK)

ProsI work in the Elsevier bit, in particular the Technology group, recently taken over by Dan Olley (2013). (Elsevier is the Science publishing group). The company used to be very bureaucratic, faceless, etc., a lot of tech talent got out-sourced. Olley looks like he's stopping this.

And the openness has been changing in the last two or three years, it's a more friendly company than it used to be. The benefits are pretty good for the sector, and the salaries at the senior end of thing are relatively attractive when you're coming into the company. There are plenty of travel opportunities - mostly, in my case, to Amsterdam, Dayton (Ohio) and Philly. Internal communications used to be unspeakably bad, but is improving.

Even if you think you know Elsevier to be a big company, the scale of it will amaze you. Ten years in, and I can still find myself in an office of 500 people without knowing a single person there, or even know what they do! Personally, I like this, but then I'm a loud-mouth.

Despite what I'm going to say in the 'cons' section, I reckon I fit in quite well at Elsevier. It's not what I expected, but it suits for personal reasons (young family, blah blah blah). Probably best for self-motived extroverts.

ConsThe Oxford (Kidlington) office is a souless hole, especially compared with Amsterdam, which is (now that it's been revamped) a far more engaging environment. If you don't get an office in Oxford from the start, you won't get one. Compared with Amsterdam, where if you had an office (almost no-one does now), you wouldn't want one. The Mendeley office in London seems like a nice place. Philly and Dayton are ... well, meh.

Ditto salaries - it will take YEARS to get any kind of promotion or rise unless you're on the management programme (and I don't think the Technology / IT group has a management / career development programme). The HR team talk a lot about recruiting talent, but very little about retaining it, or developing it (again, I can only speak to the technology group). I would recommend working here for a couple of years and then going elsewhere for career dev, and not uprooting yourself and the family for a long-term relationship.

If you're ambitious in technology, it can be frustrating place to work. There seems to be a lot of people in the business side who have tech responsibilities and I don't know how that all ties together. Maybe it'll get sorted, but it's been like that for longer than I've been there and doesn't look like it's getting there. The story seems a familiar one from Dilbert: if you're outside the company you get taken more seriously... On the upside, once your projects get funded and supported, they get delivered and supported. This is a good thing, and I've been lucky in that all my projects have been successful - this isn't rewarded financially, but it feels really good. Some poor sods seem to get all the bad luck.

The tech stack was more limited than it was - used to be MS throughout. Not so much anymore, although Oracle dominates the db side. The fulfilment systems are a hoot. Some of the ideas that come through are really exciting, which makes up for it (but you need to engage with the cool stuff, before some people get all negative about delivery), I find enthusiasm and engagement really helps deliver.

Advice to Senior Management1) Have some way of identifying your technology talent and developing their careers. The management programme seems to work well in the 'business' side, why not do something similar?

2) Do something with the Oxford office. Almost anything. It's the second worst thing about the job, but it's close, it feels like a passive-aggressive library.

3) The person who runs the Amsterdam office seems to know what they're talking about. As does Olley.

Very corporate but has its moments.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat experience to put on your CV

ConsLarge corporate inertia rather apparent

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe be more proactive than reactive.

How to transform a giant into a global but nimble digital player

Director of the Television Division (Former Employee) Paris (France)

ProsEnjoyed my job, my wonderful colleagues and friends and boss more than any other company. Great benefits and company supported initiatives. The only place where we had our own personal chef on staff for daily lunches.

ConsOffice space was limited and cramped with very bad air conditioning in the hot 30C - 35C heat of summer which made work difficult. I was very high up in the organisation but still not opportunity to advance was offered or given so it looked like a reached a peak for which no amount of accomplishment would offer me further job growth and opportunities. All decisions took way too long. There needed to be a Fast Track for some ideas while others needed to be more cautiously reviewed.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure that every employee has a career path set and offered to them. If they reach their bench marks then that should be a green light to be moved up or given added or different responsibilities. Reviews and career path was something I always included in my PDP's with key staff but it was a personal choice I made not a company wide initiative.

Had a lot of promise

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsDecent benefits, decent pay.

ConsYou can be unrecognized for your efforts as management is located out of state/country. You can become invisible.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe transparent with decisions

Work-life balance at Reed Elsevier

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWe only work 8 hours a day.

ConsNot a good company for IT fresh grads. Lack of trainings.

Worked for Reed Elsevier Group? Contribute to the Community!