Reed Elsevier Group

www.reedelsevier.com

Reed Elsevier Group Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014
Reed Elsevier Group – Amsterdam – “Reed Elsevier Headquarters”

Reed Elsevier Group CEO and Director; CEO, Reed Elsevier PLC, Reed Elsevier NV, Elsevier Division Erik Engstrom

Erik Engstrom

Pros
  • ownership, freedom to work compared to other competition companies,work life balance(in 8 reviews)

• Great benefits and company supported initiatives(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Communication between senior management and the its' reporting teams is not always optimal(in 6 reviews)

• Poor strategy and execution of off shoring and outsourcing leads to loss of talent, poorer customer service and inefficiency(in 4 reviews)

Very large company and culture mindset

Director (Former Employee) Norwalk, CT

ProsVery, very large company stability. The company has clear policies on HR, growth, travel, etc... I prefer small companies and working here was hard but always fair, always.

ConsFor me, the big company culture was hard. Things do not happen quickly and that can be a good thing if you can be patient.

Advice to Senior ManagementA little more transparency in the management thought process would be good.

A great company in desperate need of a vision

Department Head (Current Employee) Amsterdam (Netherlands)

ProsInternational, highly educated work force
    Flexible working hours, parent-friendly
    Opportunity to serve high-calibre science

ConsCEO is invisible, a bean-counter with no apparent vision for the future. Poor strategy and execution of off shoring and outsourcing leads to loss of talent, poorer customer service and inefficiency.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up and notice the sea change that has happened in the academic community and our new technology-driven competitors. Cost control and relying on traditional products is not enough to sustain our privileged profit share. A new vision is needed to inspire customers, employees and shareholders. Try not to waste the opportunity of the Mendeley merger.

Good benefits and opportunities to advance

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Dayton, OH

ProsThe people are dedicated and committed to excellence
    The bonus packages and pension plans are good, better than many of my friend's packages who work for different companies
    Diverse businesses present unique advancement opportunities

ConsPoor communication lends itself to an atmosphere where rumors are rampant
    Difficult to break into executive management internally
    Lack of cohesiveness across affiliates

Advice to Senior ManagementDo more to bring affiliates together to share learnings and best practices.
    Periodically share corporate strategy and vision to ensure the employees on the front line have a clear idea of where we're going at a corporate level and not just within their divisions.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A company in transition

Marketing Manager (Former Employee) Waltham, MA

ProsThe culture was stable and secure.

ConsThe company did not stir innovation.

Good Place to Learn & Good Work/Life Balance

Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsEuropean owned company - 37.5 hr work week! Good balance work/life balance....you aren't working crazy hours which can be a common expectation in the marketing field at other companies. Learning opportunities are readily available in order to promote advancement in your career. Friendly people to work with.

ConsThe salaries are a bit low.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo keep good workers, salaries need to be a bit more competitive.

Decent Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits, work/life balance. Advancement can happen if you play the politics right and are ambitious. Flexibility allows for internal job switching if an opportunity comes.

ConsMy personal experience was bad because I worked for the American publishing division which was eventually sold off. The division I worked for was in sale mode for nearly four years, and that meant very little investment in technology or business expansion. Overall, the senior management seemed directionless and inaccessible. There was little or no communication between the various divisions.

okey

Project Manager (Current Employee) Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

Prosownership, freedom to work compared to other competition companies,work life balance

ConsLow salaries, mangers are not transparent

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease look beyond psycophants

Reed Elsevier

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New Providence, Union, NJ

ProsEditorial group was a pleasure to work with.
    Enjoyed the "family-oriented company" atmosphere.
    Company sponsored events for employees.
    On-site cafeteria.

ConsOngoing restructuring led to disorganization and confusing strategy.
    Difficulty in synching product delivery with IT.
    Unprofessional behavior from manager was never addressed by HR.

Advice to Senior ManagementMicromanaging never leads to a positive product outcome. Suggest stepping back and letting editorial staff do his/her job.

Good

Director (Current Employee) Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

ProsGreat place to work - Good talent and management - great products

ConsBusiness Environment is tough, salary growth is slow

Not good, not bad.

Technical Support (Former Employee) Quezon City, National Capital Region (Philippines)

ProsHMO, 24 leaves in a year

ConsLeaves not convertible to cash, no allowances.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllowance, leaves must be convertible to cash.

Worked for Reed Elsevier Group? Contribute to the Community!